Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Question about the fifth boss: We've now raided about a half dozen goblin camps across multiple continents and still don't have any leads on where it may be. We've found a few of the totems but that hasn't helped much. Do we have the right idea or are we missing something really obvious?

I found the tablet near a random stone structure that looked like one of those Stonehenge stone gates, never seen any in camps. Try keeping an eye out for those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Question about the fifth boss: We've now raided about a half dozen goblin camps across multiple continents and still don't have any leads on where it may be. We've found a few of the totems but that hasn't helped much. Do we have the right idea or are we missing something really obvious?

push in the right direction: there are other "structures" that sometimes appear in the plains

more specific: stonehenge-like monuments can spawn the rune

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Can enemies damage the raised ground walls? How about stone?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Azhais posted:

It's a monster spawner

Inzombiac posted:

It's just an enemy spawner. Go smash it and get an item you need for the second boss.

Thank you! In retrospect, you probably didn't mean for me to do it naked, and while there were about 30 enemies surrounding it

Well.. another life, another lesson

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

the coolest bases imo are the ones that take the procgenned terrain and do something to accentuate it, like the under-stone homes and stuff; it's a nice blend of exploration + building

unrelated to that but on the note of garish-rear end viking huts, the creative mode* in this game is awesome. I'm really enjoying just slowly chipping away at building an obnoxious island base. total wip, that circular tower is where I'm moving my temporary operations to (I still farm up my actual crafting station/gear progression) then knocking down that big stone boxy thing and turning it all into a series of giant stone towers with even-more-giant wood towers on top, all connected via bridges, and I may plant a few giant pines/oaks if that's a thing for a treehouse extension on it. main goals are to make it less of a box/avoid just turning it into "boxes, but now circles," but I still need a general shape to kind of visualize everything on.

bagmonkey posted:

It's really tough to describe because it's definitely a survival game, but the adventuring / exploration aspect of the game DEFINITELY brings back a lot of the EQ/UO/Elder Scrolls feels of consistently finding something cool no matter where you. Whenever I get tired of grinding out resources, I go explore. When I get tired of that, time to work on building up my bases. Bored with that? Let's find some crypts! It's perfect for someone who can't devote 60+ hours a week but still wants those feelings of awe as you play.

yeah this, totally. + creative mode and just bullshitting with people about the game is like, 90% of what I want out of a chill relaxation game when I don't have hours to devote to something.

* F5 for console -> imacheater -> debugmode -> z to fly, b for freebuild, still obeys game physics it's just all free to place without having to have the mats or the crafting station, just be careful to not do crafting if you're trying to limit freebuilding to just your base and not your progression because it will let you craft anything anywhere for free, even gear

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
My favorite part about the loop of this game is the rapid change in vibes behind so many of the aspects of the game.

I love that in a day I can go from absolute shitshow panic chaos trying to take on a boss way too early and getting wrecked, just crushing violent stressful defeat, followed by a nice hour spent foraging berries and listening to The Shire theme constantly stopping to admire the beautiful lighting in the meadows and black forest.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fort Murder Hugs evolving nicely.

Vikings never had castles but gently caress it, castles are awesome.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So crypts and ruins in the swamps with the green torches outside seem to indicate the presence of boss location tablet. The loaction tablets seem to indicate the closest boss location in relation to the tablets location.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really don't like that the game makes you drop all your equipment on death. I don't see the appeal of making a raft and extremely slowly waiting for the game to let me sail back to where I was.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Don't ever make rafts, they're terrible. Get to bronze ASAP and build a real boat.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ughhhh posted:

So crypts and ruins in the swamps with the green torches outside seem to indicate the presence of boss location tablet. The loaction tablets seem to indicate the closest boss location in relation to the tablets location.

Idk about that. If I recall right I had two with the flames, but only one has a tablet.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

PittTheElder posted:

Don't ever make rafts, they're terrible. Get to bronze ASAP and build a real boat.

and if you're pre-bronze just don't worry about your corpse and remake stuff, you can craft an entire set of stone-age equipment in the time it takes you to sail the raft 30 ft.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

I have one, but if I sail somewhere in it and then die on landing I have to either build another one, which means teching up to bronze again and doing a lot of already tedious mining, or it means using a raft, both are needlessly slow.

The whole concept of losing your stuff if you die just seems pointless, I don't see what purpose it serves in the game.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I have one, but if I sail somewhere in it and then die on landing I have to either build another one, which means teching up to bronze again and doing a lot of already tedious mining, or it means using a raft, both are needlessly slow.

The whole concept of losing your stuff if you die just seems pointless, I don't see what purpose it serves in the game.

The purpose is to make you cautious about venturing into danger, and punish you when you overextend. The point of this is to give a feeling of accomplishment when you conquer a new area. This game in general makes you work a lot harder for all your accomplishments, and punishes you fairly harshly when you fail, and that's what makes it feel so good when you do something.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Torpor posted:

Can enemies damage the raised ground walls? How about stone?

In my experience they cant damage raised ground walls, they treat them like unpassable terrain so they dont try. I haven't tested this, just based on the one I built. If I'm on top of the wall they detect me, if I'm on the other side they don't. Even with clear line of sight because the base was thoughtlessly placed at the foot of a black forest hill, dwarves and trolls don't aggro unless I plug an arrow into them. At that point they usually run around randomly like when you shoot their buddy from stealth. Also you can scamper over it anywhere with some stamina so you dont need gates or ladders.

Its almost like an abuse of mechanics more than a defensive structure. Which I personally appreciate, I was about to relocate that base because of endless night time raids and now its my peaceful production and portal hub. But just thought I'd say it because it wont surprise me if they nerf it pretty hard. Like make it so you actually have to spend 30 stone to raise each piece of land to a proper height. Or if they want that functionality to remain for building purposes, at least make it so common enemies can also scamper over it with the ease of the player.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The game already makes doing things time consuming enough by making everything gather slowly and requring huge amounts of resources for things, it doesn't also need to add in the tedium of corpse runs, because that doesn't make it "more rewarding" it just makes me want to stop playing the game because it doesn't respect my time.

If you die exploring a new area it is already time consuming enough to get back to that area, a lot of the time, in addition to all of the very slow resource collecting runs you will be doing, it is not enhanced by making you run back to the area, pick up your stuff, then run back home again before using the information you got to prepare better. In a game that doesn't tell you what to expect in new areas and also doesn't clearly indicate how dangerous anything is until it hits you, I don't think this is a helpful mechanic.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Without the danger when going somewhere new, it would take away a lot of that sense of adventure. Good Vikings travel by boat and set up outposts first, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're constantly losing loot to getting trashed by enemies, you're either extending too far too fast or not upgrading your gear. The game is really good about preparing you for the next area and making those areas extremely difficult if you haven't done the work.

It's possible you have a bad seed and can't get the stuff you need, but in general once you have portals the scary corpse runs are a thing of the past.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
You should never ever explore too far without setting up tiny houses with beds as spawn points near by for the exact reason your describing. That is a key part of efficient exploration strategy. Also always good to have a portal set up at your main base and enough mats to make the other end as well if youre going out really far. Portal mats should be abundant after grinding some burial grounds.

Also naked exploration runs to make sure you arent venturing somewhere too dangerous are usually what I do to initially scout a far off area before risking my gear/time.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xzzy posted:

If you're constantly losing loot to getting trashed by enemies, you're either extending too far too fast or not upgrading your gear. The game is really good about preparing you for the next area and making those areas extremely difficult if you haven't done the work.

It's possible you have a bad seed and can't get the stuff you need, but in general once you have portals the scary corpse runs are a thing of the past.

My only issue is plains. If I hadn't read this thread I would have gone there before swamp. I tried mountain first but it was mechanically obvious I couldn't. Plains needs a better way to signify Do Not Go Here

The first ship I lost wasn't from landing and wandering around, just getting arrowed by draugr and not being able to get away. I'm paranoid the same will happen if I get near plains

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have only had it happen twice thus far, both when exploring new islands, once because a troll spawned on the peninsula I had built a house on, which was absurd, and the second because I landed on a plains biome and something destroyed my boat before I could leave.

But the process of recovering from that is so tedious that it is still a major turnoff for the game.

E: now three times, because the game spawned a giant attack the minute I landed at my base and I died before i could move my spawn point.

The game does not have the capacity to not make itself annoying to play.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

AccountSupervisor posted:

You should never ever explore too far without setting up tiny houses with beds as spawn points near by for the exact reason your describing.

This doesn't help on the ocean obviously, but whenever I'm running around on land and come across an old hut or semi-abandoned village, I sometimes repair a house and toss down a bed. It's good to make frequent outposts even if you'll most likely never need to use them.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

mastershakeman posted:

My only issue is plains. If I hadn't read this thread I would have gone there before swamp. I tried mountain first but it was mechanically obvious I couldn't. Plains needs a better way to signify Do Not Go Here

The first ship I lost wasn't from landing and wandering around, just getting arrowed by draugr and not being able to get away. I'm paranoid the same will happen if I get near plains

The game basically tells you where to go next.

Boss 1 gives you a pickaxe which lets you mine the metal you've likely already seen in the black forest.
Boss 2 gives you the swamp key which... duh.
Boss 3 gives you the wishbone which lets you find silver in the mountains, while leeches give you the materials to make cold-resistance potions.
Boss 4 doesn't really direct you toward the plains but there's like one thing left to do at that point.

It doesn't really tell you where NOT to go, just where TO go. I'll be interested to see how and what order the Mistlands, Ashlands, and Deep North get added in.

OwlFancier posted:

I have only had it happen twice thus far, both when exploring new islands, once because a troll spawned on the peninsula I had built a house on, which was absurd, and the second because I landed on a plains biome and something destroyed my boat before I could leave.

But the process of recovering from that is so tedious that it is still a major turnoff for the game.

E: now three times, because the game spawned a giant attack the minute I landed at my base and I died before i could move my spawn point.

Honestly it sounds like you're still pre-portals, which is way early for the Plains or just not making enough portals. Portal should be the first thing you build on landfall. You can always move it later, for free.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 1, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Do tamed wolves follow you through portals, or can they go with you on boats?

Just curious as to how mobile they will be once I finally tame this pair.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

Honestly it sounds like you're still pre-portals, which is way early for the Plains or just not making enough portals. Portal should be the first thing you build on landfall. You can always move it later, for free.

If I'm going to do that why not just make it so I don't have to?

Like that's the thing, it doesn't fit or make sense, and the only time it actually happens is when the game decides to just arbitrarily kill you.

I really do not see a good argument for not making this an option. I don't play any other game that way.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 1, 2021

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

OwlFancier posted:

The game already makes doing things time consuming enough by making everything gather slowly and requring huge amounts of resources for things, it doesn't also need to add in the tedium of corpse runs, because that doesn't make it "more rewarding" it just makes me want to stop playing the game because it doesn't respect my time.

If this is ruining the game for you it is scummable. You can backup your world and character files

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I can only assume you're playing solo in which case no one is forcing you to play that way, just turn on creative mode and build yourself some poo poo or just fly to your corpse at superspeed then turn it off, whatever

like you don't need mods or anything, you just open the console and turn it on (undocumented as it is w/o turning to a wiki, this wiki page in fact: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Console_Commands)

the game is EXTREMELY good at making itself not annoying to play, like it still is very clearly early access in some areas but it also has ways to turn the game into a full on sandbox Terarria style where you can just have fun with building and exploring and completely tailor the difficulty/time-wasted-grinding-quotient to your liking

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's enjoyable to have a sense of danger when you explore, which wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the corpse run. To die and simply respawn at base with your inventory would be terrible. Why ever set up forward bases or portals or whatever if you can just suicide and appear home with all your gathered loot.

Before figure out the reset respawn command my buds actually launched an hour long rescue mission from a forward bed that we had set up, searching for swamps (but finding plains). It was like a worthwhile radiant quest.

flashman fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 1, 2021

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Corpse runs are cool but I really want a permadeath mode.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Always keep a spare set of gear/food/mats for a karve in a chest that you mark IN CASE OF CORPSERUNS. Especially when heading off to a new biome.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
If you really hate the mechanics of this game that much, uh, play something else?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Like that's the thing, it doesn't fit or make sense, and the only time it actually happens is when the game decides to just arbitrarily kill you.

It makes sense to everyone but you. :shrug:

Dropping inventory on death is a staple of survival games that a lot of people enjoy the risk of having to deal with so I guess this style of game may not be your thing.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You can also have more than one seed locally, so if you lost your boat, go to your backup seed, grab the mats you need to build a new karve, login to where you gotta do a corpserun and go. Using that method saved me a bunch of hassle when I was super high and just endlessly running along the coast until I was legitimately a 30 real life minute hike from my main base. Also learned a BIG lesson that time around, which is what everyone above is referencing (naked exploring, forward bases, repairing huts, etc)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

flashman posted:

It's enjoyable to have a sense of danger when you explore, which wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the corpse run. To die and simply respawn at base with your inventory would be terrible. Why ever set up forward bases or portals or whatever if you can just suicide and appear home with all your gathered loot.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Building a wine cellar and decided to set aside an area for my favorite vintage

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Honestly the only thing that annoys me about the game is how inconsistent enemy/monster/animal spawning seems to be. I can't even elucidate what I mean since I've never seen anything behave the same way twice and I don't even know if I can say it's a thing I dislike or just is an annoyance oh my god procedural generation stop making me crazy

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

In fairness, I really hate dropping everything on death. I feel like gear should be equippable in its' own slots and safe and 1-8 on your bar should be safe and everything else drops in a chest or something. It would be a good setting. That plus losing skills is definitely punishment enough. I certainly enjoy survival games with lower, but present risk.

That said, it's easy enough to console your stuff on the ground and replicate that.

But it feels like that argument is falling into "you're having fun wrong" territory.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is there a trick to properly levelling ground so that I don't either have a house hovering a foot above the ground, or piles of dirt coming up through the floor? The house isn't falling apart or anything but it bothers me nonetheless.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Deeturbomber posted:

Honestly the only thing that annoys me about the game is how inconsistent enemy/monster/animal spawning seems to be. I can't even elucidate what I mean since I've never seen anything behave the same way twice and I don't even know if I can say it's a thing I dislike or just is an annoyance oh my god procedural generation stop making me crazy

It works by reading your mind and doing the very thing you don't want to happen at that moment.

Need leather scraps? You're not seeing any boars until you stop looking. Not looking for leather scraps? Hope you like millions of boars, idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If I'm going to do that why not just make it so I don't have to?

I really do not see a good argument for not making this an option. I don't play any other game that way.

It sounds like you just don't like the game. The game has "extra" content around exploration and building, but it is a survival game, through and through. You have to face danger and figure out how to survive and overcome it, like that's the entire appeal of the genre. When you fail to overcome it, you get punished. That's just How It Works. If you don't like that as a gameplay concept you shouldn't be playing this game.