Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Is this the prequel to Memento we didn't know we wanted?

Someone photoshop a polaroid with Motronic's av, and sharpie under it "Trust this poster????"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Leperflesh posted:

It is incredible to me that spending a couple grand on suspension seems fine to OP but spending a couple hundred on having an exhaust shop route the pipe properly is just a bridge too far.

So after spending the night in my box truck last night when it was 70 degrees out, I'm inclined to extend the exhaust now because I may want to sleep out on the screen in porch during the summer. But I dont see inhaling exhaust to be that common of an occurrence. Particularly in the summer. I dont need to use my battery except to charge my phones and run my cpap in the summer which aren't likely going to drain my battery to the point of cranking up the engine to charge it. I might do it since it's cheap, but I'm worried as referenced earlier that it will mess up my engine parameters and upset the delicate balance that keeps the GroverTruk running. Unless yall can guarantee it won't mess it up too much.

Namely the problem I have is that GroverTruk likes to die at idle at stop lights. And rarely also when I shift into reverse. I've switched out the idle control valve, the battery, replace the cracked vacuum lines, replaced all the fuses, replaced the air filter, replaced the pcv valve and the gunked up crankcase breather filter. I got the transmission looked at because the guy installing my catalytic converter said that sometimes air gets in the transmission sometimes, but the transmission guys said it was good. Each seems to have improved the performance, but GroverTruk still wants to occasionally die at stop lights. And it like to jerk forward at the light when it doesn't die which makes me thing a clutch or something is messing up. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah my thoughts are get the exhaust routed above the box before you die

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Are you just randomly fixating on things and replacing them without any sort of diagnostics or overall plan?

Edit: also, stacks. The van needs dual stacks. Nice chrome ones. This will take care of all exhaust issues.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yeah my thoughts are get the exhaust routed above the box before you die

This just made me imagine having a smoke stack puffing out the exhaust above the box only to have my Maxaire fan draw it back into my room lol.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

Are you just randomly fixating on things and replacing them without any sort of diagnostics or overall plan?

Edit: also, stacks. The van needs dual stacks. Nice chrome ones. This will take care of all exhaust issues.

I've been going down the list of things in the Hanes manual, what PFC do it yourself thinks, and what others have suggested on the econoline group pages.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

This just made me imagine having a smoke stack puffing out the exhaust above the box only to have my Maxaire fan draw it back into my room lol.

Well gollllllee! It's almost like a flash of a near-coherent thought about what ELSE could go wrong when trying to poorly convert a cargo vehicle into a living space and expecting to be able to run the goddamn engine while you're asleep inside of it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also lol

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

Well gollllllee! It's almost like a flash of a near-coherent thought about what ELSE could go wrong when trying to poorly convert a cargo vehicle into a living space and expecting to be able to run the goddamn engine while you're asleep inside of it.

Well the plan is never to be asleep or really in the vehicle while I'm charging it. And it's a rare thing for me to have the engine on while I'm in it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, just buy a really long snorkel instead.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Well the plan is never to be asleep or really in the vehicle while I'm charging it. And it's a rare thing for me to have the engine on while I'm in it.

And we've already seen this is not a realistic "plan" as things stand right now.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The easiest solution clearly is to buy a crashed Tesla and convert the GroverTruk to electric. Plus then you won't have to worry about your CPAP machine!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Just route the exhaust into the bottom of the fire pit.

The fire will burn up all the noxious gases, problem solved.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, just buy a really long snorkel instead.

I could make an intake tube for my cpap so it gets fresh air elsewhere than just cabin/bedroom air.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Just route the exhaust into the bottom of the fire pit.

The fire will burn up all the noxious gases, problem solved.

Run the exhaust hose into the claw-foot steel bathtub and baby, you got a jacuzzi goin'

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Rytheric posted:

I could make an intake tube for my cpap so it gets fresh air elsewhere than just cabin/bedroom air.

This is solving THE WRONG PROBLEM.

THE PROBLEM IS EXHAUST GASSES IN YOUR LIVING SPACE.

SOLVE THAT FIRST.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Rytheric posted:

Namely the problem I have is that GroverTruk likes to die at idle at stop lights. And rarely also when I shift into reverse. I've switched out the idle control valve, the battery, replace the cracked vacuum lines, replaced all the fuses, replaced the air filter, replaced the pcv valve and the gunked up crankcase breather filter. I got the transmission looked at because the guy installing my catalytic converter said that sometimes air gets in the transmission sometimes, but the transmission guys said it was good. Each seems to have improved the performance, but GroverTruk still wants to occasionally die at stop lights. And it like to jerk forward at the light when it doesn't die which makes me thing a clutch or something is messing up. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Any thoughts on how to fix this issue?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

that isn't the priority. focus.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

no.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Talk about 50 shades of trying to off yourself

Rytheric posted:

Fix the bloody exhaust first. Christ, just stop for a second - you gave yourself CO poisoning last night and you worry about the idle?!?!

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Rytheric posted:

fixing the exhaust won't hurt it but it's definitely the number 1 priority because you're living in it. but nowhere on that list do I see spark plugs, wires, or fuel filter so that's where I'd start after fixing the exhaust and getting some doors before bug season.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rytheric posted:

At least if the engine dies while it's idling, there's an improved chance that you won't.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

I might do it since it's cheap, but I'm worried as referenced earlier that it will mess up my engine parameters and upset the delicate balance that keeps the GroverTruk running. Unless yall can guarantee it won't mess it up too much.

Half the regular posters in AI, the forum about cars and engines, including the forum moderator, have told you a small change in exhaust back pressure on your ancient Ford V8 are not going to mess up your engine parameters, or effect the vital humours of your half fixed coolant system rear end truck, or whatever else your CO addled brain thinks adding 3' of pipe will do.

The stalling at red lights sounds like your torque converter (the bit between the engine and transmission, on automatic transmission vehicles, that allows the engine to spin while the wheels don't) isn't unlocking properly, it could be the converter itself, or more likely the torque converter lockup solenoid is going bad.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Buy a MIG welder and weld the exhaust yourself.

Think of all the fabulous things you could build with a MIG welder.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i honestly cannot loving comprehend why fixing the exhaust is like the 700th item in the priority list for you

serious gaylord posted:

Long term low exposure has lots of very weird side effects too.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412018312807

Exposure above 1000ppm affects decision making for one.

that's for CO2, not CO. 800ppm CO gives you "Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours", which tbh is better than i'd expected. i'd have expected dead, very quickly

that being said, i think anything that risks hurting ry's already compromised decision making abilities should be strongly discouraged

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Oooh and then we can worry about electrocution injuries too.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rytheric posted:

cut your losses, sell the truck, and get a reliable car

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

ellie the beep posted:

cut your losses, sell the truck, and get a reliable car

I'd buy this truck just to have a piece of SA history.

Then I'd fix the exhaust out of principle.

Then I'd burn it to get the demons out.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rytheric posted:

Another thing I was going to do with the doors was have a cushion on the top and bottom of the doors that fill the gap above and below the doors. Im rather fond of the door shoes that people attach to the bottom of the doors to prevent draft. I figured this would help with some of the rattling and the draft of course.

Edit: kind of like this but modified to have more cushioning below the door.
https://www.amazon.com/VISEMAN-Stop...la-679348395329

tired: load bearing drywall
wired: load bearing cushion

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Solution 1: Extend your exhaust for literally 100 of dollars or less probably at exhaust shop should prevent CO from being any occurrence now or in the future for any reasons.
Solution 2: Ditch this box truck and save some money to buy a purpose built vehicle mobile observatory for your 3000 telescope and for living in? Like Grover truck seems to have lots of things going for it, a big empty box with some stud walls and a trailer hitch on the front and minimal insulation. But it Needs new suspension in all 4 corners, has an issue that can be multiple issues that will require Shotgunning parts at it, and a fledgling hacked together system of electricity distribution. However you have a set of french doors ready to go into it.

edit parts shotgun thoughts
Torque converter (transmission bits $$$$), EGR valve, Idle control, vac leak, spark plug wires, coil, spark plugs, distributor, PCV, MAP/MAF sensor, Throtle body, TPS,

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 1, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

duomo posted:

tired: load bearing drywall
wired: load bearing cushion

live: the chassis of the box truck after Ry attempts to fix his battery issue

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
ditch grovertruk buy a used ambulance.

pros - already has all the electrical you need, is designed to idle for long periods of time, and has more than ample room for you to live and store all the things you care about in a secure fashion.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Another thing I was going to do with the doors was have a cushion on the top and bottom of the doors that fill the gap above and below the doors. Im rather fond of the door shoes that people attach to the bottom of the doors to prevent draft. I figured this would help with some of the rattling and the draft of course.

Edit: kind of like this but modified to have more cushioning below the door.
https://www.amazon.com/VISEMAN-Stop...la-679348395329

I never thought of this.

Probably because I bought French doors that were actually meant as exterior doors.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Sell telescope
Sell “truck”
Use the money that you’re going to use to get scammed out of some property
Buy this:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1736536693188380/

I’m sure he can be talked down and you can restore it and post about that for content.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Fix the things that might kill you and you will find people willing to bend over backwards to help you. First step above anything is don't die. It only takes a few hours or a cold night. Just do that show people you want to live and we can tell you how to work on your truck. Don't die it is my #1 plan when I get out of bed.

Edit: it is not funny or cool to think your life does not matter. I have been there. Everyone's life matters at the end it is all we have

everdave fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 1, 2021

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

serious gaylord posted:

live: the chassis of the box truck after Ry attempts to fix his battery issue

Ah, the old positive ground. Gettin' British with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Ah, the old positive ground. Gettin' British with it.

Yeah why not put a ring circuit in this thing. If you're already going out your way to make it as dangerously stupid as possible you should shoot for the stars.