Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Eschatos posted:

Is there a trick to properly levelling ground so that I don't either have a house hovering a foot above the ground, or piles of dirt coming up through the floor? The house isn't falling apart or anything but it bothers me nonetheless.

I didn't know this but I guess the levelling tool uses where you are standing as a basis. So when you are flattening things don't walk around or else you'll end up setting the height to different levels. Once I learned to stand still while levelling it helped a lot. Plus if the house is hovering you can add 1m vertical supports so it looks like it's supported on stilts. That looks better to me than floating anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The game is fine except for the drop inventory on death mechanic. Which I don't think is remotely integral and is easily the kind of thing that could be disabled with an option, as games like terraria already let you do?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

OwlFancier posted:

The game is fine except for the drop inventory on death mechanic.

At least others can loot your corpse. That saved our rear end when we sailed to a remote island and the guy carrying portal mats died and others were able to loot his grave to build what we needed

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Saxophone posted:

In fairness, I really hate dropping everything on death. I feel like gear should be equippable in its' own slots and safe and 1-8 on your bar should be safe and everything else drops in a chest or something. It would be a good setting. That plus losing skills is definitely punishment enough. I certainly enjoy survival games with lower, but present risk.

That said, it's easy enough to console your stuff on the ground and replicate that.

But it feels like that argument is falling into "you're having fun wrong" territory.

There's a mod that adds separate slots for equipment. As well as a 'gold' slot. I think adding more of the regional vendors would be cool, honestly. I never was a huge Terraria fan, but the similarities and things that could be made even more similar seem like they wouldn't be bad ideas.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
the drop inventory on death mechanic is fine, you're just overextending past your ability to easily recover. the entire progression of the game is built around needing to establish redundancy, it extends the lifespan of each biome in a natural way beyond "i've got one of everything at this tier". there's an inherent element of risk to exploration, stop exploring with things you can't afford to lose. don't sail far from home if you don't have a backup boat and backup gear. even if you somehow lose everything and have to start back from near-scratch before the run, the knowledge you've acquired will make it trivial to make what you need to do a corpse run.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It works by reading your mind and doing the very thing you don't want to happen at that moment.

Need leather scraps? You're not seeing any boars until you stop looking. Not looking for leather scraps? Hope you like millions of boars, idiot

Mark boar runestones on your map

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

ChristsDickWorship posted:

Mark boar runestones on your map

i dunno they're all pretty boaring to read

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Deeturbomber posted:

Honestly the only thing that annoys me about the game is how inconsistent enemy/monster/animal spawning seems to be. I can't even elucidate what I mean since I've never seen anything behave the same way twice and I don't even know if I can say it's a thing I dislike or just is an annoyance oh my god procedural generation stop making me crazy

Enemy attention is largely based on noise. It's easy to test with trolls because you can see them so far away. Start whacking on a rock and they'll come to investigate. That's why you get mobbed by greydwarves when mining copper too, the racket triggers spawns.

Animal spawns I got no theories on, they have set spawn points but when the game decides to put stuff there is pretty random.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taffer posted:

The purpose is to make you cautious about venturing into danger, and punish you when you overextend. The point of this is to give a feeling of accomplishment when you conquer a new area. This game in general makes you work a lot harder for all your accomplishments, and punishes you fairly harshly when you fail, and that's what makes it feel so good when you do something.

The stat loss is already brutal enough

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know if I am imagining it but animal lore runestones seem to attract animals?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
the simple solution if you absolutely can't stand dropping your items is to press F5, type imacheater, and then type god. Since dropping your items is basically the only consequence of dying

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Saxophone posted:

In fairness, I really hate dropping everything on death. I feel like gear should be equippable in its' own slots and safe and 1-8 on your bar should be safe and everything else drops in a chest or something. It would be a good setting. That plus losing skills is definitely punishment enough. I certainly enjoy survival games with lower, but present risk.

That said, it's easy enough to console your stuff on the ground and replicate that.

But it feels like that argument is falling into "you're having fun wrong" territory.

I think the best course of action would be for them to keep on the same path they are headed with the main game, but just allow all of these different things as options. I'd love armor / weapon spots, but also enjoy dropping the items upon death aspect, so why not make both separate options? The nice part is that the game is brand new to early access and modders are already getting to work, so it's either already an option or will be soon.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I really hope they add world modifiers, it could add a ton of replayability, and account for a lot of different playstyles.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Broken Cog posted:

I really hope they add world modifiers, it could add a ton of replayability, and account for a lot of different playstyles.

This is my first survival game of this style so I have no idea if it's a thing, but I'm assuming games like Minecraft and Terraria let people go nuts with customizing their servers gameplay rules?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CRAYON posted:

This is my first survival game of this style so I have no idea if it's a thing, but I'm assuming games like Minecraft and Terraria let people go nuts with customizing their servers gameplay rules?

Yeah, but if I feel that if the devs add it themselves, it would be better designed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's one of those things where i have to assume they'll end up adding world settings eventually, because there's absolutely no reason not to and giving options is just better for everyone

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to transport tamed wolves? I.E. through portals or on ships?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Midgetskydiver posted:

Is there a way to transport tamed wolves? I.E. through portals or on ships?

If you build a dock, you can transport them on a ship if you push them onboard. It's a messy process though.

Or, you could do like that one guy on the subreddit that made a raft out of about 20 tamed wolves.

Edit: Found it

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Azhais posted:

The stat loss is already brutal enough

The stat loss is tiny, its 5% I think? You'll regain that it just a few minutes of activity, and the game even has grace periods to prevent total stat nosedive from repeated deaths on a corpse run. It's only a big punishment if you are near max level, in which case you already have all the tools and knowledge to not die a lot.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I can only assume you're playing solo in which case no one is forcing you to play that way, just turn on creative mode and build yourself some poo poo or just fly to your corpse at superspeed then turn it off, whatever

like you don't need mods or anything, you just open the console and turn it on (undocumented as it is w/o turning to a wiki, this wiki page in fact: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Console_Commands)

the game is EXTREMELY good at making itself not annoying to play, like it still is very clearly early access in some areas but it also has ways to turn the game into a full on sandbox Terarria style where you can just have fun with building and exploring and completely tailor the difficulty/time-wasted-grinding-quotient to your liking

I feel like half these commands weren't there before, or I just hadn't checked lately. I just died while showing my kid some building stuff with audio off and a blob poisoned me, so I might just turn on ghost when he's around since it would be fun to do low key exploring with him

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I may plant a few giant pines/oaks if that's a thing for a treehouse extension on it

That's absolutely a thing. Trees give ground-level structural support for anything attached to the trunk, so it's perfectly viable to plant some pines and bury them in walls for a base that's much taller than it has any right to be.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Ambaire posted:

That's absolutely a thing. Trees give ground-level structural support for anything attached to the trunk, so it's perfectly viable to plant some pines and bury them in walls for a base that's much taller than it has any right to be.

Yea just make sure the tree is loving well defended or it's gonna end badly

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

For the person who really doesn't like dropping items on death, there's a decent amount of QoL mods for this game on nexus already. I haven't tried it myself, but Gravekeeper is what you're looking for.

mod description posted:

Configs to change what is kept on death:  
- KeepAll
- KeepHotbar
- KeepEquipped
- KeepConsumables
- KeepAmmo

Between those there's probably a setup to make anyone happy, it's nice to have options. Who knows what will get added in the actual game later, but this seems like it would do the job for now.

Progject
Apr 23, 2006

Has anybody else jumped into their world to find they've lost all the progress from their last session? Very annoying.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
How viable is it to find silver without killing the 3rd boss? Any tips or is it a waste of time?

I'm fully decked out in upgraded iron, but I can't get the idea of dropping a frost hammer on Mr. Mass's head.

I have plenty of resist frost potions and can handle the wildlife, I just need someway of finding a vein.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I did awhile back, I keep automated backups with my host now.

Wishing there was another way to get iron right now, feels like it’s the only ongoing ore sink needed? Copper and bronze are easy, silver we have pretty well passed over and the final one we will use for gear then not need I guess?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Captain Stalin posted:

How viable is it to find silver without killing the 3rd boss? Any tips or is it a waste of time?

I'm fully decked out in upgraded iron, but I can't get the idea of dropping a frost hammer on Mr. Mass's head.

I have plenty of resist frost potions and can handle the wildlife, I just need someway of finding a vein.

Technically possible but it would be really slow. You'd have to dig down 3m in pretty much a 200m Sq area to have a good chance of finding any. Hope you like repairing pickaxes.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Treat Valheim boats like Ferraris. Make sure you can afford two before you build one.

Here's a glamour shot from my solo map base.

I still haven't found Elder.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taffer posted:

Technically possible but it would be really slow. You'd have to dig down 3m in pretty much a 200m Sq area to have a good chance of finding any. Hope you like repairing pickaxes.

You can technically get lucky and find a surface vein, but yeah, it seems like it'd be awful to try to do without the boss stuff

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Captain Stalin posted:

It sounds like it's time to smash the Mass.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Captain Stalin posted:

Very viable.

The key is if you're survivable in the mountains basically. Veins sometimes poke out of the terrain, so you can just run around and look for them.

Alternatively just dig trenches. They don't need to be deep, 1 or 2 hits is fine. I've dug about 6 trenches and found silver in two of them. Then you draw about 70 ore per vein, which is enough for a lot of stuff.

That said, each new gear tier is pretty even with the fully upgraded previous tier stuff, so it may not be worth it for you if you already have fully upgraded iron. What's stopping you from mashing the mass?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
No idea if this is true but given some other bugs I wouldn't be surprised.

https://twitter.com/GliitchWiitch/status/1366453794066862085

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Classic bird move

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Major gripe: mobs have a massive hate-boner for boats and murder them constantly. IMO they shouldn't target boats at all unless you're in them, unless it's something big that already targets poo poo like walls.

Minor gripe: The windmill spits out flour in bundles of 20 but has a capacity of 50.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Progject posted:

Has anybody else jumped into their world to find they've lost all the progress from their last session? Very annoying.

Yeah this happened to me last night. Very annoying, because it reverted my Bonemass kill and my initial progress on the mountain biome. I felt no guilt about teleporting back, summoning him, and then just using killall from the console to get my wishbone back. Fortunately I'd done a lot more exploring of the nearby mountains than I did resource gathering, so I already knew where to head to find the silver vein I'd started digging out.

For the poster who dislikes the item drop on death, don't let the naysayers tell you that you should quit playing just because an aspect of the game disagrees with you. (Why is that always the go-to response?) Fortunately there are mods to avoid the problem, or you could always console command your way around it. Like using debugmode and then hitting Z to fly should work really well. Just from toying around with it, I know the flight speed is way faster than any of the available transportation options, and that distant island that took you 20 minutes to sail to will probably take under a minute to fly back to, grab your stuff, and zip away. Then just switch it all back off and go back to playing normally.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

what this game really needs is some better loot to make exploring more rewarding. theres nothing worthwhile in the chests or dungeons or high end enemies

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

BobTheJanitor posted:

For the poster who dislikes the item drop on death, don't let the naysayers tell you that you should quit playing just because an aspect of the game disagrees with you. (Why is that always the go-to response?) Fortunately there are mods to avoid the problem, or you could always console command your way around it. Like using debugmode and then hitting Z to fly should work really well. Just from toying around with it, I know the flight speed is way faster than any of the available transportation options, and that distant island that took you 20 minutes to sail to will probably take under a minute to fly back to, grab your stuff, and zip away. Then just switch it all back off and go back to playing normally.

Because its a core aspect of the games design tons of players deal with fine and plenty of people offered advice on strategy to deal with it and the response was

"The game doesnt have the capacity to not be annoying to play"

Which is ludicrous to say given how many people are plenty not annoyed.

Like at what point is it a players fault their frustrated vs the games fault? I dont enjoy/suck at a lot of games but the fault is entirely my own, Im not gunna blame the game for not having the desire to conquer its rules.

Cheat away if that makes it fun, nobody told anyone to stop playing.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 2, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it would probably be better if enemies had a chance to drop ore fragments, because they drop a lot of poo poo you don't really need at the moment.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I think it would probably be better if enemies had a chance to drop ore fragments, because they drop a lot of poo poo you don't really need at the moment.

The mega blobs in the swamp do, they drop 1 iron. But they're really rare so its not a viable way to farm it. Goblins do too (or "fulings" but lol i can never get it right and always call them furlings, thanks stargate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I think the game does a pretty good job of making almost every material relevant to keep around for various cooking recipes or upgrade components or whatever.

Except for trophies, which really clog up your poo poo and are a pain in the rear end because you can't even use them without building a wall mount. I'd rather not waste the fine wood when I usually have to go out of my way to hunt for birch trees. Would be cool if you could use them to strengthen boss powers, or make wards, or throw them into a stew, or a million other things better than "walk over to my dock and cast them into the sea".