Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Were the side quests in the previous games always this bad with the back and forth? I've played the past games and I honestly can't remember. A lot of me thinks it's just the load times driving me up the wall.

Really enjoying this otherwise, the new spins on the equipment system are really good IMO. I remember a lot of doom and gloom during the demo about weight and junk but it seems rather painless to me.

Big shoutout to the expedition system giving me lots of large of JP orbs in the past few days. I bypassed a lot of the grinding of freelancer for the 1.7 JP abilities by just playing the game infrequently :>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Color Printer posted:

Is it just me or the equipment optimization feature........not good
omg I accidentally click that button so many times when I want to remove a piece of equipment instead and it drives me loving bonkers

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gyoru posted:

Just made it to Chapter 4 with about 25 hours clocked on Hard. I was apprehensive of the story's pacing, but things started to pick up in Chapter 3.

Some of the more useful job passives so far:
(Beastmaster) MP Saver - Reduces MP costs by 20%. Stacks with other sources of MP reducing equipment.
(Beastmaster) Raw Power - Increases physical damage by 10% per action. Max Braving will skyrocket your final attack's damage.
(Gambler) Rare Talent - Rare item drop rate up by 10%. Stacks with each party member.
(Red Mage) Revenge - 25% chance of gaining 1 BP when attacked
(Pictomancer) Sub-Job BP Saver - Reduces BP cost of active sub-job abilities by 1. Great for spamming Monk's Pressure Point (boss killer) or Berserker's Crescent Moon (trash clearer)
(Swordmaster) 2 Hands Are Better Than 1 - FF's Doublehand. Stats of your main hand weapon is increased by 1.4x. Your character's combat stance changes too, which is a nice touch.
(Spiritmaster) Sub-Job Specialty 1 - Your sub-job's 1st specialty is unlocked.

Wow some of these look so fun. Excited to unlock some weird combos

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

PageMaster posted:

What are your early game damage dealers? For bosses it basically comes down to apply poison and survive with me, but after a certain point they can't kill me but I'm hammering out fractions of the poison damage with my other classes. Vanguard does ok thanks to a strong weapon drop, but my monk feels feels incredibly weak, even with the unarmed perks, and my mage/bard is stuck on defense buffs and I feel a little unequipped with no way to buff damage or debuff enemy defense.

Monk was definitely my highest damage character for the early game. Make sure you're using double attack boosting accessories, those also get the +80% bonus from the barehanded passive.

Default to 3 BP then go hog wild with monk abilities, they all hit real hard. Invigorate > Firebird > Flames of War x2 (if you have a Black Mage that can piggyback off Fire weakness) or just Invigorate > Flying Heel Drop x3, those are usually 3-4k damage. The monk does need to be at or near full health, once they're high enough level they can just brave twice then Pressure Point x2 for almost as much damage with zero health cost.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ojetor posted:

Monk was definitely my highest damage character for the early game. Make sure you're using double attack boosting accessories, those also get the +80% bonus from the barehanded passive.

Holy poo poo I didn't know this :eyepop:

I'm still early on in chapter 1 so I put two Flame Talismans on my Monk Adelle and now she's got like 40 more physical attack than anyone else

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I guess what I would really prefer is an optimize button for a specific equip slot rather than pushing the button and having the game go "gently caress this and gently caress you" and changing my entire loadout to god knows what

Also god I wish it was possible to put Default on a button but also give it some sort of confirmation prompt. You can turn on Quick Default to Default with L, but if you do push L, you are loving Defaulting whether you meant to or not

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like a good middle-ground would be a short button hold for Defaulting with the L button.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I discovered chain battles and it really breaks the job exp curve since I'm at chapter 3 and staring at multiple job classes mastered. Moves like Pressure Point and Godspeed Strike have no business doing so much damage. Thief never has to worry about MP costs much either. Mastering Vanguard gives it a huge attack boost the more aggro gear you put on and its final skill is just another big damage nuke for only costing MP.

The only disappointing class is Beastmaster because you have no idea what monster abilities do. I used one ability and it missed, and decided that was it I'm not going around catching everything just for a bunch of attacks that don't do anything. Pick up MP Saver and move on.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I just wish hitting the instant default backed out a brave. That's how I remember it working in the first game and I keep on trying to do it in this one.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I assumed that it worked like ff5 and you could only have one monster captured per character, but I guess it's a shared pool and my ten minotaurs are going to be someone's problem soon

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lord Ephraim posted:

The only disappointing class is Beastmaster because you have no idea what monster abilities do. I used one ability and it missed, and decided that was it I'm not going around catching everything just for a bunch of attacks that don't do anything. Pick up MP Saver and move on.

I've been able to regularly take out bosses in like 3 hits with monsters. Definitely not a class to sleep on if you like big numbers. Helps that it's very easy to capture monsters once you get the mercy skills.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Ojetor posted:

Default to 3 BP then go hog wild with monk abilities, they all hit real hard. Invigorate > Firebird > Flames of War x2 (if you have a Black Mage that can piggyback off Fire weakness) or just Invigorate > Flying Heel Drop x3, those are usually 3-4k damage. The monk does need to be at or near full health, once they're high enough level they can just brave twice then Pressure Point x2 for almost as much damage with zero health cost.

I've kind of overlooked accessories(except bangles) since I feel like their boosts are pretty inconsequential in most RPGs, so this might be my problem. Time to see what I have in stock!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, most accessories have multiple effects and various stat boosts so there are multiple reasons to equip them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

PageMaster posted:

I've kind of overlooked accessories(except bangles) since I feel like their boosts are pretty inconsequential in most RPGs, so this might be my problem. Time to see what I have in stock!

IIRC the poison immunity one gives you like +600 hp and is available basically from the word go in the prologue. It's real good for the level and I wound up with a bunch of them.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

IIRC the poison immunity one gives you like +600 hp and is available basically from the word go in the prologue. It's real good for the level and I wound up with a bunch of them.

It also boosts healing. Slap two on a white mage and watch that heal tank go.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Gyoru posted:

(Swordmaster) 2 Hands Are Better Than 1 - FF's Doublehand. Stats of your main hand weapon is increased by 1.4x. Your character's combat stance changes too, which is a nice touch.

What does the stance look like? I have a friend who's gonna be upset if they make the character hold their weapons with reverse grip. He likes dual wielding in games but hates when they do this.

EDIT: You said doublehand meaning two handed. I am bumb. I mean dumb.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 3, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Relax Or DIE posted:

I assumed that it worked like ff5 and you could only have one monster captured per character, but I guess it's a shared pool and my ten minotaurs are going to be someone's problem soon

:stare:

I stopped for the night after getting bard but I'm pretty sure I know what the next 2 jobs are I'll get (or if they aren't next, soon enough) and a communal catch and release pool for beastmaster instead of the FF5 one and done sounds lovely.

A Sometimes Food posted:

It also boosts healing. Slap two on a white mage and watch that heal tank go.

I stuck one on each character at the start of the game and going from 300 to 900hp helps just a bit.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is the Freelancer Special duration based on actual time as opposed to any in-game turn time or action usage?

I keep accidentally using it due to heavy joycon drift, then I press + to pause 'cause I need to focus on something else, and a minute or two later realize I've just slowed down the combat, taken no actions, and the special is over.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Buffs from Special moves last as long as the character's theme tune is playing, so it's based on real time.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

According to the loading screen tip using another Special while the music is playing extends the buff duration.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Vanguard feeding BP could probably let you keep the buff running indefinitely.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

They look fine on my TV so far. I prefer it over characters like Rex and Pyra. :shrug:

Yeah, I have an easy time sort of viewing the character models as abstractions of a sort.

I'm also wondering if using English VA might be contributing to perceptions of the party, since they seem just as likable as the BD1 cast so far (with the JP voices, at least - I used the English VAs with BD1 but prefer the JP in this). Elvis/Adelle are cool and the protagonist/Gloria are at least distinct from Tiz/Agnes.

PageMaster posted:

What's a wiki-wiki and should I bother trying to kill them when they pop up in battle or are they like a metal slime and I can't do anything until later in the game?

The only time I've killed a Wiki-Wiki is by spamming fully braved Firaga-Firaga-Firaga-Firaga followed by Beastmaster special (latter probably isn't necessary, but the Wiki-Wiki had only ~15 HP after the nuking and I wanted to make sure I finished it off).

I don't think using non-magic attacks can practically kill them early on since they dodge everything. For a while I tried to exploit the Earth weakness using Vanguard, but that never worked.

I was underwhelmed at the rewards from it and probably wouldn't bother if I was close to a boss and didn't want to rebuild up a special attack.

Ornamented Death posted:

Am I just missing something the "will the enemy attack you?" stat? I have Seth as a white mage with white mage appropriate gear and Gloria as a vanguard with vanguard appropriate gear and Seth gets attacked three or four times as often as Gloria. Even when I use abilities that are supposed to make enemies attack Gloria more often, Seth is still my unwilling tank. Elvis as a black mage is also getting attacked more often than Gloria in this scenario, just not at quite the same extreme as Seth.

I'm a little confused about this as well. I have like 70 more "chance to be attacked" stat on Seth compared with everyone else, but he doesn't seem to be attacked more than anyone else. It actually seems like my Freelancer Elvis is attacked the most.

PageMaster posted:

What are your early game damage dealers? For bosses it basically comes down to apply poison and survive with me, but after a certain point they can't kill me but I'm hammering out fractions of the poison damage with my other classes. Vanguard does ok thanks to a strong weapon drop, but my monk feels feels incredibly weak, even with the unarmed perks, and my mage/bard is stuck on defense buffs and I feel a little unequipped with no way to buff damage or debuff enemy defense.

Something strange is going on if your Monk feels weak; Monk does dramatically higher damage than everything else in my party currently. It's the only thing I have that hits for over 1000 regularly.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Black Mage has been mediocre for me as I near the end of Chapter 1 but Monk's abilities do great damage if you level it up. Firebird, Qipong Wave, and the heeldrop move all do great damage in exchange for health

This is my experience as well. BLM does kind of disappointing damage unless I'm hitting a weakness with an -aga spell.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 1, 2021

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Is there a place in the menu where I can see a list of side quests I've completed?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Borsche69 posted:

Is there a place in the menu where I can see a list of side quests I've completed?

I've been looking and haven't found it! I really want to know if I've missed any!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I have an easy time sort of viewing the character models as abstractions of a sort.

I'm also wondering if using English VA might be contributing to perceptions of the party, since they seem just as likable as the BD1 cast so far (with the JP voices, at least - I used the English VAs with BD1 but prefer the JP in this). Elvis/Adelle are cool and the protagonist/Gloria are at least distinct from Tiz/Agnes.

The only time I've killed a Wiki-Wiki is by spamming fully braved Firaga-Firaga-Firaga-Firaga followed by Beastmaster special (latter probably isn't necessary, but the Wiki-Wiki had only ~15 HP after the nuking and I wanted to make sure I finished it off).

I don't think using non-magic attacks can practically kill them early on since they dodge everything. For a while I tried to exploit the Earth weakness using Vanguard, but that never worked.

I was underwhelmed at the rewards from it and probably wouldn't bother if I was close to a boss and didn't want to rebuild up a special attack.

I'm a little confused about this as well. I have like 70 more "chance to be attacked" stat on Seth compared with everyone else, but he doesn't seem to be attacked more than anyone else. It actually seems like my Freelancer Elvis is attacked the most.

Something strange is going on if your Monk feels weak; Monk does dramatically higher damage than everything else in my party currently. It's the only thing I have that hits for over 1000 regularly.

This is my experience as well. BLM does kind of disappointing damage unless I'm hitting a weakness with an -aga spell.

Yeah, I'm super not impressed with Blackmage. I'll probably level it to the point of getting the +mp on attack passive, but it seems kind of meh all in all, even if I get silly and dual wield a Staff with the +magic dagger from the prologue/Chapter 1.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve found that the only thing that is making magic attacks worth it is maxing Red Mage and using that as your primary job. The second passive you unlock makes you cast each spell twice at no extra MP cost.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glad to see Red Mage is finally the powerhouse it deserves to be :hmmyes:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Red Mage's Magic atk seems pretty poo poo tho

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've been looking and haven't found it! I really want to know if I've missed any!

lol its infuriating! like, you guys realize you're making a jrpg right? do you fully understand the kind of psychos that are going to play this? i mean they gotta since they put in that secret early ending.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The hellhounds in Wiswald tower have speed buns as a rare steal.

Time to indulge in several hours worth of kleptomania while my guests keep my thieving hands alive.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Caidin posted:

Time to indulge in several hours worth of kleptomania while my guests keep my thieving hands alive.

As do the blue glowy skeleton ponies in the hills near the starting town, if you're having trouble staying alive.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This bard dude is destroying me. I feel like I just have to grind to stand a chance against his triple brave party wipes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

Red Mage's Magic atk seems pretty poo poo tho

Casting twice for free probably makes up for that.

Then again I'm pretty sure there's a passive from a later job that lets your subjob's second specialty activate at which point Red Mage as a subjob probably becomes the best option.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

stev posted:

This bard dude is destroying me. I feel like I just have to grind to stand a chance against his triple brave party wipes.

It was the next boss for me. Everyone around level 11-12, and I was getting smoked even on casual difficulty. Wiped 5 times. I appreciate that the bosses make me think for my wins.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Caidin posted:

The blue flaming horses in the first map have them as well, but I'm not sure if there's a benefit to going after one vs the other.

Edit: beaten!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

By first map do you mean prologue or chapter 1?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

PageMaster posted:

The blue flaming horses in the first map have them as well, but I'm not sure if there's a benefit to going after one vs the other.

Edit: beaten!

Honestly, probably not worth the effort until quite a bit later. There is a class ability that automatically kills enemies that are 20 levels or more lower than your own. Pairing it with the Gambler rare drop boosts will probably get you the stuff much quicker.

The steal rate is so low, and you really need all 4 characters to have the Thief class, Magpie, Rob blind and spam the Thief super to get anything out of it. With enemies at that low level you'll one shot them with the super so the chances of getting the buns aren't so great.

I'm intending to do it myself at some point with the Gigantos enemies that drop the critical chance bun, so I've given it some thought.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm hoping that it's an item you get later or something, because the closest thing right now I've got is checking the key items tab in the item log.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Harrow posted:

Glad to see Red Mage is finally the powerhouse it deserves to be :hmmyes:

Red Mage was mad powerful in the first game as well, since their passives let them game the BP economy pretty hard.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Hey, so I never managed to get through Bravely Second and I kinda want to know what happens in it before I play this, does anyone know of any decent Let's Plays for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Red Mage was mad powerful in the first game as well, since their passives let them game the BP economy pretty hard.

Yeah, though their power wasn't in raw numbers. It was in getting everyone their BP revenge passive and then having one person as a Red Mage spam-poisoning your team to fill up their BP. Definitely extremely powerful but not in the "powerful offensive spellcaster" sense they seem capable of in BD2.

Red Mage was my preferred BP battery in the first game, I had a blast with that