Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Buddy in Japan told me last week that international uni students who graduated there are pretty much in limbo because travel in and out of the country is nixed and they don't have permits to work. I gather the Japanese government is providing for them in the mean time at least but that suuuucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

clearly you should transpose the entire song down by one key

Then the opposite problem happens!

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:
I can't remember what day exactly I went to mandated WFH, higher ups had said if you want to go ahead since things were looking bad and then a few days later they said ok if you weren't already, you now have to WFH as long as your job can be completed doing so.

I'm sure I could look it up but I'm lazy.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

A year ago this week I was in San Jose for work. The San Jose office was in the middle of implementing travel restrictions for our team, and they had an awful rollout that ended up with me changing my flight to come home a day early because it was unclear if we were allowed back in the office. If I hadn't changed my flight I would have gone to the Sharks/Wild NHL game with some coworkers, which would have been a very good time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Braksgirl posted:

This reminded me that a couple of months ago, I walked outside barefoot to bring a bag of trash to the garbage and I stepped on a big rear end frog with my toe and I freaked out and had the full body squicks. I had blocked it out of my mind because of trauma, but this just brought it back in stunning detail so thanks for that.

Hey, watch it lady, I'm croaking over here
____________________________________/

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As the last year since March has been hell for most people, I think I did pretty well personally:

- Moved in with my girlfriend right at the beginning of quarantine, and after a year of living in quarantine we don't want to kill each other, so that's good!
- Lost ~35 pounds working out in quarantine.
- Found a new job that nearly doubled my compensation, plus allowed me to quit the job that I absolutely hated and was a beautiful 'gently caress you' to them to tell them our client was hiring me for way more $$.

I do miss seeing my friends and family, and that's been the biggest struggle.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

CannonFodder posted:

West Coast probably got it from Asia and NYC got it from Europe, the disease had been spreading quietly for a few months so it may have even been in the US before detection protocols had started.

My SO is convinced that she was treating cases in late Jan/early Feb. Patients were getting admitted for all of the respiratory symptoms but weren’t testing positive for the flu or any other respiratory ailment. They had no way test for COVID so they just treated them like they would any other respiratory infection.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Both my stepchildren had weird colds late last February that tested negative for strep, bronchitis, pneumonia, flu, you name it. Pretty sure they had Covid. We did make a trip to a hot pot place about two weeks before, I suspect that’s where they were exposed. Hell I might have had it then and never showed symptoms.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Freaquency posted:

My SO is convinced that she was treating cases in late Jan/early Feb. Patients were getting admitted for all of the respiratory symptoms but weren’t testing positive for the flu or any other respiratory ailment. They had no way test for COVID so they just treated them like they would any other respiratory infection.

I still wonder if I got it back in late February 2020. I had what I thought was the flu; I was just completely exhausted for like 4 days, and that was about it. I wasn't nauseous, or anything like that, just really really tired. At the time, I figured it was the flu, but I'm still not sure. I never did an antibody test to check because it was months later before they were even available.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Freaquency posted:

Same.

In particular I had a really sick respiratory patient with dry cough and high fever whose viral panels all came back negative but there were no covid tests at the time and we still had no confirmed cases in the state at that time. She had just traveled back from Eastern Europe.

Also

Bird in a Blender posted:

I still wonder if I got it back in late February 2020. I had what I thought was the flu; I was just completely exhausted for like 4 days, and that was about it. I wasn't nauseous, or anything like that, just really really tired. At the time, I figured it was the flu, but I'm still not sure. I never did an antibody test to check because it was months later before they were even available.

I got sick about a week after treating her—myalgia, severe fatigue, cough for maybe 3-4 days and it cleared up.

I still wonder if I got it then. Would explain how I’ve had hundreds of patient contacts at work this year with no confirmed infection or illness.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Freaquency posted:

I visited my mom at the beginning of February 2020 and she was mainlining cough drops and was talking about how she had the worst cold of her life and how she was extremely tired all the time, and how she was coughing and coughing but it wasn't clearing her throat which are like... symptom 1, 2 and 3 of covid

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

dirty shrimp money posted:

Both my stepchildren had weird colds late last February that tested negative for strep, bronchitis, pneumonia, flu, you name it. Pretty sure they had Covid. We did make a trip to a hot pot place about two weeks before, I suspect that’s where they were exposed. Hell I might have had it then and never showed symptoms.

Girl my wife works with went to cancun (we're in FL, so a few flights, and she's early 20s party girl so was out and about) January of last year, and was sick for the next month. Tested negative for everything and nothing they did helped, but she had every single symptom and has antibodies despite not being sick at all since.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

seiferguy posted:

To share something super fuckin' nerdy I did: for those of you who play FFXIV, you might know that the Bard class can play instruments, and someone created a bard player that will play MIDI files into the game. So last night I spent my time editing / arranging a song into my own MIDI file then spent all morning foregoing work recording and compiling this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXENTrZM2i4

The intro sounds like the Moon theme from Duck Tales the game

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Incredibly hyped

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1366504292203581452?s=19

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Shout-out to BrownThunder for Windows 10 Pro key. Paid and he had it sent over in 10 minutes! Support him, link in this thread OP.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

wandler20 posted:

Shout-out to BrownThunder for Windows 10 Pro key. Paid and he had it sent over in 10 minutes! Support him, link in this thread OP.

Thank you! Donating half the proceeds from this weekend up until tonight to the Austin food bank, so your $ is going towards a good cause.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

seiferguy posted:

- Lost ~35 pounds working out in quarantine.

There's a portrait of you in my attic, getting fatter

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

BrownThunder posted:

Thank you! Donating half the proceeds from this weekend up until tonight to the Austin food bank, so your $ is going towards a good cause.

That's awesome. Might pick up a MS Office key now as well.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

NFL Network's Jane Slater is having a pretty good day as Twitter's main character today.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Unpaid&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Post the artisanal Microsoft link

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

GD_American posted:

NFL Network's Jane Slater is having a pretty good day as Twitter's main character today.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Unpaid&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

She's mad people are pointing out that her family is rich when it comes to her assertion that anyone who doesn't take unpaid work doesn't want it bad enough and that she worked unpaid internships

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Hell I'll just go full self promo now.

Microsoft thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768345

VHS/VHS-C/Hi8/Video8/Camcorder tape conversion thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948725

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Intruder posted:

She's mad people are pointing out that her family is rich when it comes to her assertion that anyone who doesn't take unpaid work doesn't want it bad enough and that she worked unpaid internships

It's amazing to me how many people are fully invested in "unpaid labor = paying dues". But I suppose :capitalism:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

It's amazing to me how many people are fully invested in "unpaid labor = paying dues". But I suppose :capitalism:

Crabs in a bucket mentality.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

seiferguy posted:

It's game limitations, there's only 3 octaves to play from, and that particular note is just one note out of range (the player goes up to C6 and that note is C#6!) so I had to drop the octave in order to not lose the note. I could drop the whole portion down but then the entire thing sounds off, so you have to pick and choose there.
Yeah, I was wondering if it was a limitation somewhere else. Sounds great!

Also, my therapist says "cool beans" unironically. This was just my second visit and it's going. No meds as of yet.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/FoxForceFlacco/status/1366465708142456832

owned

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/katienolan/status/1366478063941386247

:hai:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
One side of that entire discussion is just post after post of almost getting it.

'worked the hardest I've ever worked in my life and had two other jobs'/'could never have made it on my own'/'would never want to go through that again' blah blah blah. But this was good because....

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

BrownThunder posted:

Hell I'll just go full self promo now.

Microsoft thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768345

VHS/VHS-C/Hi8/Video8/Camcorder tape conversion thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948725

Just grabbed MS Office!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Was it a discussion in here where we were talking about how labor is the most scrutinized line item on contracting quotes? It's amazing how anti-labor America is for a country that prides itself on hard work.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

This is a classic case for the Simpsons "wait for it" meme, just someone had to do a little extra digging to find the part where the author explains they were financially supported in a significant way during their "hustle".

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Dango Bango posted:

Was it a discussion in here where we were talking about how labor is the most scrutinized line item on contracting quotes? It's amazing how anti-labor America is for a country that prides itself on hard work.

Yeah, D-LINK was saying the 1% will throw fistfuls of cash without question at physical goods but question the labor cost of projects. It was something I couldn't get out of my brain for a while, and still think back to.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dango Bango posted:

I can't remember who I was having this conversation with but I definitely had it the other day. It's a hosed up mentality for sure.

The only summer in college where I did an unpaid internship I managed to get a grant from my school to at least let me live and eat in the dorms for the summer. The internship was a lot more fun and valuable as a work experience when I didn't have to worry about basic survival!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Yeah, D-LINK was saying the 1% will throw fistfuls of cash without question at physical goods but question the labor cost of projects. It was something I couldn't get out of my brain for a while, and still think back to.

My favorite contractor ever is radically transparent on his bills which helped me realize just how it all adds up. Labor is broken out as per hour including his cost for benefits and workman's comp and the like along with the rate he's paying them. Turns out skilled people cost money just like quality stuff does.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Kalli posted:

Hey, watch it lady, I'm croaking over here
____________________________________/

I’m not here to body shame frogs but did he eat a whole turtle? Lay off the flies bruh.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Blowjob Overtime posted:

The mentality (which very much permeates biz school) is that labor is the most, if not at times only controllable cost component.

To be fair (TO BE FAIIUUUHHHH), it is one that is most likely to explode without an eye on it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Just sent my resignation email at work :toot:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Nice :toot:

Braksgirl posted:

I’m not here to body shame frogs but did he eat a whole turtle? Lay off the flies bruh.

Spent two seconds trying to figure out what they ate and couldn't. I assume it's normal frog things, but this sentence in the wiki delighted me.

quote:

There is explosive breeding activity in ephemeral water sources such as ponds and ditches.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dango Bango posted:

Yet another way capital has programmed we plebs to vocally support our oppressors.

We are all but temporarily embarrassing millionaires anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

fartknocker posted:

Just sent my resignation email at work :toot:

I’m very jealous.