Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

dk2m posted:

Traded in my 16 WRX for a 18 RS3. Absolutely love this thing, the power is so addicting and the 5 cylinder sounds incredible. Nardo grey is quite beautiful in direct sunlight as well

Very cool. After owning a Triumph Street Triple, I'm kinda into odd cylinder vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

dema posted:

Very cool. After owning a Triumph Street Triple, I'm kinda into odd cylinder vehicles.

I have a 1, 3 and a 5:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dema posted:

Love my Street Triple. Have been having dirty sinful thoughts about an MT-09.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

dk2m posted:

Traded in my 16 WRX for a 18 RS3. Absolutely love this thing, the power is so addicting and the 5 cylinder sounds incredible. Nardo grey is quite beautiful in direct sunlight as well

This is the coolest car in Audi’s lineup and really the spiritual successor to the old group B Quattro of the past.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

I have a 1, 3 and a 5:

I love this.
At first I was like, "that's not safe" on the 6x6 on the ice, then I remembered it floats, anyway.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

What is hell is that thing exactly (besides adorable)?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Bouillon Rube posted:

Looks like an Argocat? They do 6x6 and 8x8 versions and they are mental.

My school when i was 7 or so would hire one on open days and give rides around the scrub land next to the school, through ditches and a pond, up 45 degree slopes, back down again, it was great.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

dema posted:

Thank you! I wasn’t aware the Street Triple is a 3 cyl - that must be quite interesting for a bike. But definitely agreed with odd cylinders - the characteristics are somewhere in between and the noise is totally unique from the firing patterns and crank rotations being uneven.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is the coolest car in Audi’s lineup and really the spiritual successor to the old group B Quattro of the past.

There are times when I really get on it that I feel like that DNA might be in there somewhere. It’s by far my favorite Audi I’ve ever driven

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Bouillon Rube posted:

It's got a project thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859331&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

dk2m posted:

drat, really want an RS3. And this thread has owners with two of the best colors!

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
speaking or rs3s: the one that raced (and beat in one run) the hoonicorn did the 1/4 at 7.9

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35479307/audi-rs-3-seven-second-quarter-mile/

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

tyrelhill posted:

speaking or rs3s: the one that raced (and beat in one run) the hoonicorn did the 1/4 at 7.9

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35479307/audi-rs-3-seven-second-quarter-mile/

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:
What the gently caress...

Audi unquestionably build another Group B car.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
It is insanely hosed up that a Stage 1 tune from APR gets this to 480HP on 93

https://www.goapr.com/products/software/ecu_upgrade/parts/ECU-25T-EA855-EVO

My WRX was pretty heavily modded so I’m planning on keeping this stock atleast until the warranty is over but good GOD this thing has so much headroom.

I just did my first launch today and I involuntarily started laughing, it’s too much

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I love this.
At first I was like, "that's not safe" on the 6x6 on the ice, then I remembered it floats, anyway.

The ice was also 3 feet thick :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

The ice was also 3 feet thick :)

See, that sort of thing is insanely alien to me.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Darchangel posted:

See, that sort of thing is insanely alien to me.

you haven't lived until you're out (in my case, fat biking) on ice you know to be 3 feet thick but you hear cracking and booming from somewhere

The fishing club on Lake Winnebago maintains an ice road on the lake you can drive across, which is quite the shortcut because that lake is annoyingly large to drive around.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

you haven't lived until you're out (in my case, fat biking) on ice you know to be 3 feet thick but you hear cracking and booming from somewhere

The fishing club on Lake Winnebago maintains an ice road on the lake you can drive across, which is quite the shortcut because that lake is annoyingly large to drive around.

Yea, ice makes insane noises.
That year was PERFECT ice skating. It was insanely fantastic. The trick was to put on your ice skates in the house, and then run the attex down the road with ice skates already on. That way you don't have to change your poo poo in the cold. It's a great setup.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I may have done something stupid, but it sure is fun right now.

It's a 2013 3.8 R-Spec

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love it!

We were about to buy one in October but I got cold feet. Ended up being the right choice but I still long for a new car.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DropShadow posted:

Somehow I've ended up with three cars.

2012 Q7 TDI: Dieselgate buyback, now my daily driver/kid hauler. Purchased with 99k miles for under $20k, feels solid as a rock. 4yr/48k scandal warranty that covers anything that deals with emissions.

1999 Cherokee: Impulse purchase. Probably should sell it but I kinda like it.

2013 allroad (tucked in the back): Still too attached to my slow bagged wagon to sell it, but I might at the end of summer.

Since this post, I have cycled through a few more cars:

1. Sold the white XJ because it was built to be a lot more than I needed from it. I loved it, but I wasn't climbing any mountains.

2. Sold the Q7 because it developed an oil leak that was quoted as a $4k fix. It took some doing, but I managed to get Audi to cover the repair under the dieselgate warranty. With 120k miles, I felt like that was just the beginning and I didn't want to have to fight with the dealer every time something went wrong. The warranty was one of the driving factors behind that purchase, but if it meant warranty coverage was going to take a fight every time, no thanks. It was a great car and an absolute beast in the snow. I do miss it, but I wish I'd gotten one with fewer miles from the start. I sold it to a buddy who has had to deal with two more expensive oil leaks, though he has gotten both covered by the warranty. Surprisingly, he still likes it and we're still friends.

3. Sold the bagged allroad and still regret it. For a while I was trying to buy it back, but it's been two years now and it just won't feel like "my" car anymore, so I've moved on.

4. Bought a Craigslist XJ with 60k miles for a steal. It drove like a dream, but the undercarriage looked like swiss cheese. Kept it long enough to receive the title and then sold it for twice what I paid for it.

5. Bought a loaded 2018 B9 allroad in Feb. 2020 shortly before I sold the Q7. Immediately lowered it, found some B9 RS5 sportback wheels, a few other mods. Great daily driver, planned to own it for a long time. Then the pandemic hit and I started working from home on 3/16. The new car in the garage was just sitting around costing me money. As much as I liked it, I decided I'd rather not have the car payment, so I sold it after 8 months and barely 3,000 miles.

6. Shortly before the allroad sold, I bought another XJ off ebay. Found this one in Portland, where apparently cars do not rust. Since I'm not commuting to the office any time soon, I decided I'd look for a clean XJ to create what I actually wanted from the start. A modest lift with good on-road manners that wasn't as overdone as my white one was. Though not apparent in pictures, I've done a ton of updating and upgrading and I'm not done yet. I've done 90% of the work myself and have had a ton of fun doing it. It's got 149k miles on it but drives better than the 60k XJ I briefly owned. Parts are stupid cheap and you can buy them almost anywhere.

This is how it looked when it arrived:

This is how it looks now:

When I actually do have to go back to the office, I'll get something that's better suited as a daily driver, but for now, my 11mpg XJ is my only car.

Oh and we turned in my wife's Tiguan lease, bought an Atlas and got a dog.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
How the hell did I not know you had XJs?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Haha, Kastein was probably drywalling and his Goon XJ sense just went off.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

DropShadow posted:

3. Sold the bagged allroad and still regret it. For a while I was trying to buy it back, but it's been two years now and it just won't feel like "my" car anymore, so I've moved on.

I literally said NOOO when I read this. This car was my single favourite one on this forum and I'm super sad that you let it go. I hope there'll be something similar in your future.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

kastein posted:

How the hell did I not know you had XJs?

I also had a '95 for a little bit, I'm not sure if I ever posted that one here.

edit: forgot I made this from the listing pics

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DropShadow posted:

I also had a '95 for a little bit, I'm not sure if I ever posted that one here.
edit: forgot I made this from the listing pics
You did, I remember this. I didn't remember that it was you, but I remember the picture.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Those all look drat good. Well done.

Aside from the rusted out one I guess. :cb:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Scruffy the janitor posted:

It's a 2013 3.8 R-Spec

That’s pretty much the same sentiment I had when my 2015 genesis 5.0 arrived and I realized that it has wider rears than the front. Don’t care about the MPG, it makes me smile every time.

I like the red seats, and I bet that’s a whole lot of fun.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Rhyno posted:

Haha, Kastein was probably drywalling and his Goon XJ sense just went off.

Loled at this cause it's true

Also the white one looked awesome but I actually like the new green one better. That one looks like you take it off road even though ironically you don't, hah.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Scruffy the janitor posted:

It's a 2013 3.8 R-Spec

Is that the factory paint job? I’ve never seen a Genesis Coupe in that color before (granted, I only see one on the road like every six months)

(Also, red leather is always the correct choice)

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 4, 2021

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

shy boy from chess club posted:

Loled at this cause it's true

Also the white one looked awesome but I actually like the new green one better. That one looks like you take it off road even though ironically you don't, hah.

I have taken the green one offroad a couple times and am planning to do more once it warms up in Minnesota. The white one was too nice to actually go beat up on a trail. The green one is a 10-footer at best and will get a full respray at some point.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I mourn the loss of the Allroad, but that green XJ is right where I would want to take one if I get another. Mild lift and competent tires, basically. Decent off-road, but not a handful on the street. I still kinda miss my '95 2-door. If it had been 4x4 or 4.0, I would have kept it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I kiss my '99 but it was barely holding together at the end. Got way more than it was worth in trade towards the Lightning. I'd love to get another one as a winter beater but we have nowhere to store one.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Washed, quick waxed, wiped down all the door sill/frame areas, scrubbed the weather tech mats, vacuumed, and cleaned all the glass on the inside. I’ll do the leather wipe down and remaining interior surface cleaning tomorrow.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Bought this big dumb fuckin thing. Its like driving a great white shark.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hell yeah. Do a burnout

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

lol, holy gently caress, you did it. my man

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

SS 1LE? Can't tell if the hood is matte or not. But hell yeah no matter what

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Suburban Dad posted:

SS 1LE? Can't tell if the hood is matte or not. But hell yeah no matter what

yeah. 2017 SS 1Le. It's name is Nice Nice, because the odometer was 6,969 miles when I picked it up

brae
Feb 2, 2006
I bought a 718 Cayman GT4 and put winter tires on it. It's black so it'd be dirty no matter what but winter driving takes the filth to a new level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Insanely loving cool. Fair play lad