Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SeXReX posted:

Playing video games is just solving obtuse math problems with a really weird and limited calculator interface

"Making the numbers go up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I liked the first third of Endgame where everyone was just cripplingly depressed and there were almost no jokes. The other two Avengers movies (the first one and then the one with Ultron, I didn't actually watch Infinity War) were boring and the same movie but I really like how there's two tiers of Avengers - the ones who do stuff and the ones who don't do anything. Thor and Iron Man and Hulk are killing billions of enemies and cutting holes in spaceships and then you go to the ground level and Black Widow has a gun and shoots two enemies before deciding to just stop worrying about killing things and goes to fix a power line or something, and then Captain America has to punch one guy at a time and if they gang up on him he needs help

Otherwise I haven't seen a Marvel Movie since Iron Man 1 which was okay

i like the part of age of ultron where theyre loving around in the after party at stark tower

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Keeping this log might help me focus? Gonna keep doing it

Finished
Hades (saw credits December 2020, epilogue/wrapup January 20, 2021)
Cyberpunk 2077 (Jan 21)
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Jan 31) (current frontrunner for Old Game of the Year 2021)
Soulcalibur VI (finished Libra of Soul mode Feb 19)
Vampire: The Masquerade: Coteries of New York (Feb 20)
Vampire: The Masquerade: Shadows of New York (Feb 20)
Vampire: The Masquerade: Night Road (Feb 20) (I think I might like Vampire: The Masquerade?)

In Progress
Yakuza 7 (Chapter 10, 37 substories complete)
Spelunky 2 (got to "Olmec" but hit a roadblock)
Persona 5 Strikers (one palace down)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (played the first hour)
Wonderful 101 (bought it, played the tutorial)
The Council (in the middle of Episode 1)
PC Building Simulator ("building the ultimate PC is my vision")

Danger Zone...
Paper Mario: The Origami King (one streamer beaten, fading fast from memory)
Sakura Wars (I did one mission, fading fast though)
Sunless Skies (tooled around for a bit but maybe it's not for me?)

In the Queue
Atelier Ryza 2 (lol I've had this out for rental for over a month now and haven't started it)
Spiritfarer
Disco Elysium: Final Cut

Bonus: curry so nice I shot it twice

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I totally forgot Redbox existed and has video games. I think that's where I first played Dark Souls over Thanksgiving break back in college? That would be a convenient way to play Ryza because I could never ever justify buying an Atelier game for the full 60

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

on the one hand you need 8000 more twitter followers to qualify for the next big race in three turns, on the other hand theres a secret event waiting for you in the swimming pool right now

what do you do huh smart guy? your horse girls life is on the line

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

on the one hand you need 8000 more twitter followers to qualify for the next big race in three turns, on the other hand theres a secret event waiting for you in the swimming pool right now

WHAT'S IN THE MYSTERY POOL

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

I uninstall

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Only perverts and teenagers choose the pool.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

WHAT'S IN THE MYSTERY POOL
another horse girl that teaches you a cool trick to run slightly faster when it's wet

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
now, give the horse girls swords, THEN you've got a game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

allow me to introduce you to rice shower, the horse girl with a sword

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

allow me to introduce you to rice shower, the horse girl with a sword

I will allow you to introduce me to her

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Keeping this log might help me focus? Gonna keep doing it

Buddy if you don’t finish Paper Mario and LAD

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Spears are better

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

wuggles posted:

Buddy if you don’t finish Paper Mario and LAD

The writing is sharp but the combat is really simplistic, enough to put me to sleep...

That refers to both games but LAD also has go-karting

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I will allow you to introduce me to her
https://files.catbox.moe/m2mc71.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSdsq8uY1fM

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anime people have gotten really good at translating 2D designs into 3D

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im genuinely impressed that you made the game somehow look worse by showing more of it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Anime people have gotten really good at translating 2D designs into 3D

I think Arc System Works has basically solved it as far as video games go, but it'll probably be a bit before you see something of that quality in TV anime. My understanding is that the process of actually animating the models is incredibly labour intensive due to the huge amount of bones necessary to get the kind of snappy movement you see in something like GG Strive. It works great for a scenario where you only have a few canned animations, but it's harder to do for scenarios where you need new, dynamic animations in almost every episode.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there's a series of events where you can skip training your horse girl to go out on dates with the teacher at horse girl school (she's just a regular person though), and it feels vaguely like embezzlement. and also you have to go out on like 7 dates to finish the chain and skipping 7 turns to go gently caress around is incredibly irresponsible. of course I take that event whenever given the opportunity

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was kinda interested in playing that new Sakura Wars

Might be a while before I give it a shot, though

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vermain posted:

I think Arc System Works has basically solved it as far as video games go, but it'll probably be a bit before you see something of that quality in TV anime. My understanding is that the process of actually animating the models is incredibly labour intensive due to the huge amount of bones necessary to get the kind of snappy movement you see in something like GG Strive. It works great for a scenario where you only have a few canned animations, but it's harder to do for scenarios where you need new, dynamic animations in almost every episode.

Those are 3D games made to look like they're 2D (and the effect is amazing), but I more meant that 3D anime models in general just look good nowadays. Compared to say the PS2 or 3 eras, when the transition between illustration and in game model was often awkward. Probably largely a question of good middleware.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Barudak posted:

Im genuinely impressed that you made the game somehow look worse by showing more of it.

But enough about Paper Mario

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I was kinda interested in playing that new Sakura Wars

Might be a while before I give it a shot, though

I know it's an anime but they, like put on theatrical productions without a director? Just expected to fend for themselves?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Spirit Armor's orignal LP of Sakura Wars was my intro to some anime tropes and stuff. Revealing some of its nooks and crannies, as it were.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

continuing my first time playthrough of banjo-kazooie with my SO and rusty bucket bay is the worst level i have ever seen

there are so many little touches that make that piece of poo poo miserable i hate it and i hate everyone who worked on it

click clock woods is really, really cool though and made up for it a bit

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

like i love crash and it has its fair share of bullshit but it is not anywhere near as cruel to you as banjo can be

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

*naomi watts voice* "....rusty gently caress-it bay"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

With how musical notes work in that game the engine room is a goddamn nightmare. That and then having to get out of there on a timer for the propeller jiggy are why yeah it's absolutely the worst level.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rinkles posted:

Spirit Armor's orignal LP of Sakura Wars was my intro to some anime tropes and stuff. Revealing some of its nooks and crannies, as it were.

Did SP ever finish that? I remember the thread going on a long hiatus

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Something about the look and feel of many N64 games triggers a sense of claustrophobia in me.

Wamdoodle posted:

Did SP ever finish that? I remember the thread going on a long hiatus

Don't think so. But a fan translation has since come out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

playing little nightmares 2.
not my favorite genre, the limbo-like macabre puzzle platformer.
this one is seeming to emphasize a lot of engagement with enemies beyond just running away. Timing attacks to crush them with a mallet without whiffing, Using a flashlight to keep enemies on all sides of you away as you run past them, etc.
its a bit of a fresh take for the series that usually makes you helpless but it creates scenarios where you get gotcha'd by each surprise enemy in an encounter and have to reload after each one until you know the whole thing and its just annoying to have to sit through the characters very slow standing up animation after every load.
not my genre tho so im harsh.
the graphics and atmosphere are very on point can't complain there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

*naomi watts voice* "....rusty gently caress-it bay"
wow didn't know I was posting with a celebrity. welcome mr angry video game nerd, sir

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

not even using her sword. yawn.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I feel like there is a hard break on the maturity spectrum where AVGN goes from hilarious to insufferable. I'm glad to be on this side of the line now, but I will occasionally still yell "YOU CAN JUST WALK OVER IT!?"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

not even using her sword. yawn.
that would be dangerous...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

that would be dangerous...

that's the point

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB9cj38WeCY

Edit:
https://twitter.com/UFOtekkie/status/1366595118388572176

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 2, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I hadn't heard of this before. Sega's cancelled, leaked own take on Street Fighter II, Burning Fists

:siren: flashing stuff in video, seizure warning :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv2bvT2AWqM

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Rinkles posted:

I hadn't heard of this before. Sega's cancelled, leaked own take on Street Fighter II, Burning Fists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv2bvT2AWqM

Serious seizure trigger warning on this video