Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've been watching Attack on Titan over the course of a few weeks (I'm about 5 episodes in season 3) and it does hammer home that war is hell really well. It skirts that line of "WOW COOL ROBOTS!" that Gundam does by having the fights be pretty spectacular but human soldiers die pretty gruesome and unheroic deaths. When those who have "heroic" deaths, it mostly focuses on people being broken by their sacrifice.

I dunno. Maybe it'll take a turn but for the first two seasons at least it shows how poo poo war is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

OH WOW! I missed the part where Doug took two real life people's mental health problems and made them into his character's backstory. :stare:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

That article breaking down the failed development was wild for how often there was some element of "Well, we realized that there basically wasn't a game. So we stopped doing anything productive so that we could mock up a somewhat convincing fake demo to keep the suits off our backs for another few months while we tried to figure out the game."

The post mortems on Andromeda and Anthem were fuckin' wild. They wanted to make a procedurally generated exploration game and ended up with Andromeda and wanted to make a co-op mission based space survival game and ended up with Anthem.

Like the core concept of Anthem makes no god drat sense if you think about it, the outside world isn't hostile it's lush and verdant and you can loving FARM THE LAND. Having it take place on what amounted to a sun-scorched asteroid with gravitational anomalies makes the whole "we pilot these things to go outside the walls" actually work.

I was left sad after both of those. I wanted to see Andromeda the exploration game and Anthem the survival game. If only there was a shred of managerial competence there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Demo Reel video was very good, there is definitely something sad about Doug's situation despite the fact that he's a massive piece of poo poo. He's a guy who clearly had lofty creative ambitions but every one of his attempts to move on from just being the Nostalgia Critic collapsed like house of cards because he quite frankly lacks the talent, effort, or both to produce something above the level of an amateurish home video. So he's just stuck doing one bit for all eternity and any attempt to branch out creatively is dead on arrival.

Also this comment just hits the nail on the loving head, hey:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

OH WOW! I missed the part where Doug took two real life people's mental health problems and made them into his character's backstory. :stare:
I think that its a perfect example of what sort of person Doug is. It seems like he can't see or care about how hosed up some of the things he does are because he's always focused on whatever his ~ViSiOn~ is. Like him mocking The Wall for partly being about a spoiled brat who doesn't want to go to school when that part is about the actual, horrible abuse endured by children in boarding schools in England. This man is incapable of ever seeking out any background information or taking advice from actual professional filmmakers.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Important development from Chip and Grant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyxKNWTlRNc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jimbot posted:

I've been watching Attack on Titan over the course of a few weeks (I'm about 5 episodes in season 3) and it does hammer home that war is hell really well. It skirts that line of "WOW COOL ROBOTS!" that Gundam does by having the fights be pretty spectacular but human soldiers die pretty gruesome and unheroic deaths. When those who have "heroic" deaths, it mostly focuses on people being broken by their sacrifice.

I dunno. Maybe it'll take a turn but for the first two seasons at least it shows how poo poo war is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

Demo Reel video was very good, there is definitely something sad about Doug's situation despite the fact that he's a massive piece of poo poo. He's a guy who clearly had lofty creative ambitions but every one of his attempts to move on from just being the Nostalgia Critic collapsed like house of cards because he quite frankly lacks the talent, effort, or both to produce something above the level of an amateurish home video. So he's just stuck doing one bit for all eternity and any attempt to branch out creatively is dead on arrival.

On the other end of the spectrum, here's a bunch of folks who've been consistently doing Demo Reel's premise right all along:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wZnsWjJ6Qw

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been having a hell of a terrible few weeks...

Sorry to hear that, chief. It's never easy when things feel/are that way.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

What really gets me about the stupid "AoT is fascist" discourse is that it always comes from people that made up their mind about the show way before watching any of it, and they will gladly admit that's what happened, so it's not like you can even argue against it. Plus it's really funny how I've only seen that hot take peddled around anglophone social media, because Americans have the hardest time doing any sort of literary analysis that's not based on everything being an ~allegory~.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I watched the Just Write video and his entire point is the opposite of "This series is unironically fascist."

It's more examining the awkward usage of allegory because making a 1:1 correlation between Eldians and Jewish people illustrates the horrors of antisemitism in some contexts of this story (they're victims of systemic bigotry), and yet comes across as antisemitic in other contexts (they brought it on themselves), and it becomes unclear where or why we're intended to read Eldians as Jewish people and where we're not, because you've made a 1:1 correlation between Eldians and Jewish people.

You can't just say, no see, the metaphor magically doesn't count in this one specific part of the story because it would be awkward and actually go against the themes of the story if it did.

I mean...you can, but you see why the response to that is then "You're using the metaphor really badly."

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 2, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Regarding attack on titans, the strangest thing that itches at my brain when reading or watching people's various analysis is how readily people will read into how the military of the show takes inspiration from imperial japan and such, especially in regards to evidence for calling it fascist. But they never extrapolate that elsewhere. Like the eldians and marleans are almost always exclusively coached in regards as being compared to jewish people and nazis. Like I'm struggling here to find the exact words, but people dance around pointing at the former going "It's that thing from Japanese history! It's Fascist!" but then they'll only ever look at the rest of the series from the more western perspective on world war two and not like. I don't know. Anything else in Japan's history, even if it doesn't fit as well on the surface level.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dan is it okay to make fun of blizzard being assclowns at blizzcon yet or are too many people on 4chan still liable to laugh about the remark thus making it bad and wrong to mock the infiniteillion dollar company still.

Nuebot posted:

Regarding attack on titans, the strangest thing that itches at my brain when reading or watching people's various analysis is how readily people will read into how the military of the show takes inspiration from imperial japan and such, especially in regards to evidence for calling it fascist. But they never extrapolate that elsewhere. Like the eldians and marleans are almost always exclusively coached in regards as being compared to jewish people and nazis. Like I'm struggling here to find the exact words, but people dance around pointing at the former going "It's that thing from Japanese history! It's Fascist!" but then they'll only ever look at the rest of the series from the more western perspective on world war two and not like. I don't know. Anything else in Japan's history, even if it doesn't fit as well on the surface level.

They also have german and germanish names, so it must be extra badwrong coming from japan don't you know.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

I watched the Just Write video and his entire point is the opposite of "This series is unironically fascist."

It's more examining the awkward usage of allegory because making a 1:1 correlation between Eldians and Jewish people illustrates the horrors of antisemitism in some contexts of this story (they're victims of systemic bigotry), and yet comes across as antisemitic in other contexts (they brought it on themselves), and it becomes unclear where or why we're intended to read Eldians as Jewish people and where we're not, because you've made a 1:1 correlation between Eldians and Jewish people.

A 1:1 correlation would imply Jewish people could literally turn into gigantic monsters and were the dominating force until very recently. I mean, you can argue "no, but Jews have been portrayed as a hidden, monstrous force, so it's also ~allegory~", but that's why analyzing everything as a 1:1 allegory is just real bad. ELDIANS DO NOT EXIST. Isayama uses ghetto imagery to signal them as, well, ghettoized, but ELDIANS ARE NOT THE JEWISH. gently caress, you have a better argument if you look at Paradis Island and its insurgence as an allegory for Japanese nationalism post-WW2, but someone made a Tumblr post about the armbands and here we are.

Also, "they brought it on themselves" is never the point, unless you think depictions of prejudice equal entertaining the idea. There's a big villain speech justifying an incoming genocide with what basically amounts to that too! Every major Marlyean-Eldian character is portrayed as a victim of systemic racism, being brainwashed into thinking "they brought it on themselves". It's why Gabi, a child soldier and Titan candidate in the latter part of the manga, fights so hard for her oppressors, because that way she can prove she's one of the "good ones".

edit: that's not saying AoT is unimpeachable, you can criticize using very loaded imagery in a story that's going for more of a "cycle of violence" take on war, I think that's a big flaw the manga has, but that's never the approach people take, it's always this "oh we're supposed to see the eldians as jews!!!" because once again, everything has to be a 1:1 allegory.

Dias fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 2, 2021

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
ive watched a veritable litany of content creators i like give a platform to bill gates recently and its really depressing lol

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

“Attack on Titan is an antifascist narrative” and “Attack on Titan handles the real-world implications of its aesthetics very poorly, strongly undermining its antifascist themes” are two statements that can be true at the same time.

(And they are, in my opinion.)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

JordanKai posted:

Attack on Titan is an antifascist narrative and Attack on Titan handles the real-world implications of its aesthetics very poorly, strongly undermining its antifascist themes are two statements that can be true at the same time.

(And they are, in my opinion.)

And I strongly disagree with the latter. It doesn't mean it's not flawed in that regard, but it takes some willfully bad reading and, well, ALLEGORYMANIA to detract from the extremely explicit antifascist and anti-war themes in the story.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Jim Sterling should probably considering hanging it up or at least do something more/different with the show. I just watch it out of inertia and every week its the same message dressed up in the flavor of the week news thing. All roads leading to AAA games development being bad may be true, but hearing the same message every week is extremely trite.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The author basing a character the show treats as heroic on a Japanese Imperial possible war criminal because he(the author) admires him is a bit of an oof but overall the show is definitely not pro fascist and actually quite anti-nationalist as well.

Edit: \/ oh certainly and that was a time where there were no "good guys" in the conflict as well.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 2, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mokinokaro posted:

The author basing a character the show treats as heroic on a Japanese Imperial possible war criminal because he(the author) admires him is a bit of an oof but overall the show is definitely not pro fascist and actually quite anti-nationalist as well.

I feel that one is more on how Japanese media itself portrays that historical figure. Around the time Pixis was introduced, a pretty popular adaptation of a historical novel was airing in NHK, one featuring said personality as a main character (and a heroic one), and I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that's where he got his inspiration from. It feels ignorant rather than malicious if you look at the context.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Apparently the specific Japanese general this is about is not connected to any war crimes, and very notably was not a general during WW2 despite a lot of people implying that he was.

Like, he was still an imperial Japanese general so I'm sure he wasn't super great or anything, but there's no evidence that he was responsible for any war crimes

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
He was present during a massacre of Chinese citizens (though there's no evidence whether or not he actually took part) pre-WW2 which is why a lot of the hate against the author came from China and Korea.

Then you also look at Dot Pixis overall. The other characters treat him like a big hero but he's also kind of lazy on top of being a drunk and womanizer. He's not exactly a perfect paragon once the show fleshes him out.

The show definitely is clumsy with its allegories at points but like no more than a lot of comics are.

I can certainly see folks only seeing bits of the art of the franchise assuming it's fascist solely due to the stylings but that's certainly not what it actually is.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 2, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Saagonsa posted:

Apparently the specific Japanese general this is about is not connected to any war crimes, and very notably was not a general during WW2 despite a lot of people implying that he was.

Like, he was still an imperial Japanese general so I'm sure he wasn't super great or anything, but there's no evidence that he was responsible for any war crimes

I mean, dude was there for the ocupation of Korea so he's definitely lovely, but it's covered up in Japan like it happens to a lot of Yankee war heroes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I assume he was present at the Port Arthur massacre?

e. Yep.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 2, 2021

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This derail is the best one yet :allears:

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Archer666 posted:

Jim Sterling should probably considering hanging it up or at least do something more/different with the show. I just watch it out of inertia and every week its the same message dressed up in the flavor of the week news thing. All roads leading to AAA games development being bad may be true, but hearing the same message every week is extremely trite.

I’ve been thinking this for a while as well. Sometimes there’s a new scandal that’s actually worth talking about, but usually it’s just the same old yelling about the same old complaints.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Solitair posted:

Even when I was super into Channel Awesome, I never gave Demo Reel the time of day.

Same. I was sad Nostalgia Critic was over so I filled the void by getting into other CA people like Cinema Snob, Film Brain, Phelous, and Allison. And before I knew it, the Nostalgia Critic was back and doing new episodes again. DR came and went what felt like overnight.

Sydin posted:

This is funny because I was rewatching Hbomberguy's RWBY vid and it seems like Rooster Teeth had the opposite problem. They had "anime homework" given to them by Monty Oum where they watched a lot of good anime like Avatar the Last Airbender, Cowboy Bebop, Soul Eater, etc in order to learn how to make a good anime. I think most people (like Hbomb) would say they failed.

In the vid, Hbomb brings up that old Roger Ebert quote from his Battlefield Earth review where he says "The director, Roger Christian, has learned from better films that directors sometimes tilt their cameras, but he has not learned why." as an example for how and why someone merely just watching something good, doesn't automatically teach them how to make something good. That's because they didn't learn WHY those things are good in the first place.

Just watching/reading/playing something good (or bad) can help you get a deeper understanding of media of course, but unless you're actively making an effort to really learn by thinking critically about the media you consume, (and by thinking critically, I mean do actual analysis, not just do lame jokes and call it criticism like Doug does) taking classes on the subject or at least talking/listening to experts and reading books on the topic and poo poo, you won't learn anything.

Doug didn't do any of that. He never learned WHY the stuff he reviewed was bad. He just looked at obviously bad movies like The Room, Garbage Pail Kids, Batman and Robin, etc, screamed "Thing bad!" over and over with different "jokes" and increasingly forced memes (remember how hard he tried to make "Frying the coke" a thing?) and didn't learn or grow intellectually in the slightest.

No wonder he's only gotten worst since DR...

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 2, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Archer666 posted:

Until they stop doing it, it's still worth talking about. Just shrugging about the atrocious poo poo companies do is giving them tacit approval.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
That yeah. If you start to ignore them. They win.
(Granted there is not much we can do to them, but realizing that everything is not fine is the least of it)

Bakeneko posted:

I’ve been thinking this for a while as well. Sometimes there’s a new scandal that’s actually worth talking about, but usually it’s just the same old yelling about the same old complaints.

Its not Sterling who is unoriginal, its the AAA industry.
I don't see any problem with wanting to keep yelling about them. The last thing we need is to become numb to their terribleness.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

In the vid, Hbomb brings up that old Roger Ebert quote from his Battlefield Earth review where he says "The director, Roger Christian, has learned from better films that directors sometimes tilt their cameras, but he has not learned why." as an example for how and why someone merely just watching something good, doesn't automatically teach them how to make something good. That's because they didn't learn WHY those things are good in the first place.
Is Tom Hooper the most successful this kind of guy?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I think my favorite part about the way this thread handles derails now, is that there's always 2 sides, but one of the sides absolutely does not ever want to engage with the other side. like the last jedi derail passed by with basically no one pointing out that it's the best star wars, or the last two Snyder derails being largely carried on by the two or three diehard snyderfans. like, the people who hold the counter opinions are in this thread, we're just so deeply tired and we'd rather not have the same discussion for the 17th time where you try to tell us our opinion is wrong.

this derail was started because a bunch of aot fans started harassing Dan Olson about poo poo he said ages ago, and some of ya'll decided to sustain a conversation for 2 pages where you make up your very own guy and complain about them off that. no one is arguing with you because you are tedious to argue with.

please, just go to cd or adtrw where people may have actually signed on to have these arguments with you (not me, I got a weird fashy vibe from aot after season 1, and at this point even if it eventually walks that back there's too much good anime and manga for me to bother. did you know I haven't even read one piece yet? I know!)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dias posted:

I feel that one is more on how Japanese media itself portrays that historical figure. Around the time Pixis was introduced, a pretty popular adaptation of a historical novel was airing in NHK, one featuring said personality as a main character (and a heroic one), and I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that's where he got his inspiration from. It feels ignorant rather than malicious if you look at the context.

It definitely feels reminiscent of how some Americans of a certain age have a positive view of Patton because of the 70s movie about him.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

egg tats posted:

I think my favorite part about the way this thread handles derails now, is that there's always 2 sides, but one of the sides absolutely does not ever want to engage with the other side. like the last jedi derail passed by with basically no one pointing out that it's the best star wars, or the last two Snyder derails being largely carried on by the two or three diehard snyderfans. like, the people who hold the counter opinions are in this thread, we're just so deeply tired and we'd rather not have the same discussion for the 17th time where you try to tell us our opinion is wrong.

Yeah I learned a long time ago that much like Wargames, the only way to "win" a derail in this thread is not to play.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I fell off AoT about mid first season because of all the transforming into Titans poo poo. The initial appeal was watching the protagonists fling themselves around using the 3D gear and using every sort of desperate measure to overcome the odds but nah where's the tension when Erin can just poof his anime protag powers and fist fight them.

Also lol all the fashy poo poo. It's amazing just how hard the author drops the ball with the analogies.

The Epica/AoT covers EP slaps however.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Archer666 posted:

I, too, get bored when a youtube content creator shows up every week or so with a new story of how an industry is actively harming its employees, exploiting consumers and generally trying to salt the earth of its various platforms in the name of a dollar, in an environment notorious for being able to silence bad press and unwanted news stories easily. poo poo ain't getting fixed, best pretend it doesn't exist. :shepface:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

egg tats posted:

this derail was started because a bunch of aot fans started harassing Dan Olson about poo poo he said ages ago, and some of ya'll decided to sustain a conversation for 2 pages where you make up your very own guy and complain about them off that. no one is arguing with you because you are tedious to argue with.

please, just go to cd or adtrw where people may have actually signed on to have these arguments with you (not me, I got a weird fashy vibe from aot after season 1, and at this point even if it eventually walks that back there's too much good anime and manga for me to bother. did you know I haven't even read one piece yet? I know!)

You literally just posted a screed on why you don't care while people were talking about something not one, but two content creators were talking about. But thanks for exemplifying the whole "already made their mind on the topic despite not watching it" thing, it really helps my case.

Regardless, you're right that because of that it's not really worth discussing, I guess.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

egg tats posted:

the last jedi derail passed by with basically no one pointing out that it's the best star wars

Why bother arguing about something that is true?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Dias posted:

You literally just posted a screed on why you don't care while people were talking about something not one, but two content creators were talking about. But thanks for exemplifying the whole "already made their mind on the topic despite not watching it" thing, it really helps my case.

Regardless, you're right that because of that it's not really worth discussing, I guess.

dog did you even try to read my post? it wasn't very long but literally everything you wrote about it is wrong

I clearly care? Like I made the post because I care? this conversation was tedious the third time it happened years ago

also I clearly said that I watched season one, if you don't think watching five hundred and twenty five minutes of a TV show isn't enough to form an opinion I don't have any words. I can't see any reason why anyone, would watch more of an anime they didn't like, especially when, like me, they haven't read one piece yet. Have you read One Piece? I've heard nothing but good things I think it's a p good idea

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I, too, get bored when a youtube content creator shows up every week or so with a new story of how an industry is actively harming its employees, exploiting consumers and generally trying to salt the earth of its various platforms in the name of a dollar, in an environment notorious for being able to silence bad press and unwanted news stories easily. poo poo ain't getting fixed, best pretend it doesn't exist. :shepface:

I mean if you need to be told the obvious and same message every week, then you do you. But I don't really think its helping anyone at this point or taking any blindfolds off of people who didn't know about this yet. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Archer666 posted:

It may sound simple, but you don't have to watch every one.