Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh great that tedious AOT argument is back.

I thought it died like four years ago.

Oh its Dan Olson that makes sense

i saw 12 tweets in a row and just noped out of it

whatever he wrote, it's dumb and wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I watched that last night and was pretty intrigued by it, having never watched AoT or caring about it to do anything beyond reading the wiki on it every so often. And of course the comments for it are already loaded with a wave of roiling nerds trying to defend all the fashy poo poo with “you just don’t GET IT, man!”

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

From what I've heard it couldn't be more clearly anti-fascist without flashing a great big sign up in the background that says "FASCISM IS BAD" but I haven't seen it either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dias posted:

It’s insane to see a guy who sees himself as a film critic not understand something with the subtlety of a brick but this weird Twitter obsession with AOT has been a thing for years

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dabir posted:

From what I've heard it couldn't be more clearly anti-fascist without flashing a great big sign up in the background that says "FASCISM IS BAD" but I haven't seen it either.

Anyone who still calls it fascist at this point is being willfully obtuse to an absurd degree.

nine-gear crow posted:

I watched that last night and was pretty intrigued by it, having never watched AoT or caring about it to do anything beyond reading the wiki on it every so often. And of course the comments for it are already loaded with a wave of roiling nerds trying to defend all the fashy poo poo with “you just don’t GET IT, man!”

Yea and all those nerds are correct!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The thesis statement of Jim's latest video is basically "I have nothing left to say about Anthem because I predicted all of this a year ago, and I was able to predict it not because I'm some genius but because greedy game companies keep making the same mistakes and this keeps happening."

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Srice posted:

Anyone who still calls it fascist at this point is being willfully obtuse to an absurd degree.

Yea and all those nerds are correct!

The video posted is not saying that AoT is fascist but that the historical allegory is poorly used and brings all kinds of implications that the author probably did not intend.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t like that argument either. It basically boils down to the Titans did a thing *maybe) so fascism is correct here.

Like the problem with real facism is that the slight the fascists are mad about may not have happened

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t like that argument either. It basically boils down to the Titans did a thing *maybe) so fascism is correct here.

Like the problem with real facism is that the slight the fascists are mad about may not have happened

No the problem with fascist philosophy is that they are bullies looking to justify their hatred and violence to those they see as lesser and no slight can justify the violance and hate that fascists wish to inflict on others

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

dbzfandiego posted:

No the problem with fascist philosophy is that they are bullies looking to justify their hatred and violence to those they see as lesser and no slight can justify the violance and hate that fascists wish to inflict on others

I mean yes but the argument for why this analogy is bad is that in the past the titan people may have done a bad thing which justifies what happens to them therefore muddles the analogy.

Same reason I don’t like when people say the X-men are a bad analogy because they are a threat. Implying that the only problem with racism is you don’t view the people receiving it threatening. But if you did well then it’s fair game.

It’s a lovely argument and I hate it

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yes but the argument for why this analogy is bad is that in the past the titan people may have done a bad thing which justifies what happens to them therefore muddles the analogy.

Same reason I don’t like when people say the X-men are a bad analogy because they are a threat. Implying that the only problem with racism is you don’t view the people receiving it threatening. But if you did well then it’s fair game.

Using historical allegory invites historical comparisons which is why it needs to be done with some amount of care, especially when dealing with something like the holocaust and antisemitism that's a really loaded topic that if used poorly starts warping the subtext and giving mixed messages. And ya the xmen have been a poor allegory for marglization in the past that's why they started having space adventures.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

There is also a sizable faction of nerds who will get really performatively angry at AoT to "prove" oh absurd it is to call any media fascist. You know like the purposely ridiculous fake tumblr posts a few pages ago.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, it should not be surprising that a series with a blunt rear end metaphor for the Holocaust has the persecuted race accused of some terrible yet completely insubstantial to the present day crime over a thousand years ago.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 2, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Steve Shives is interviewing Allison about Star Trek live right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y18rDEL6bc

They’re raising money for blm.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

dbzfandiego posted:

Using historical allegory invites historical comparisons which is why it needs to be done with some amount of care, especially when dealing with something like the holocaust and antisemitism that's a really loaded topic that if used poorly starts warping the subtext and giving mixed messages. And ya the xmen have been a poor allegory for marglization in the past that's why they started having space adventures.

Your ignoring my argument. The whole argument for X-men not working rests on the idea that racism is perfectly good as long as the target is good.

You can’t just ignore that with vague talking points

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Your ignoring my argument. The whole argument for X-men not working rests on the idea that racism is perfectly good as long as the target is good.

Well ok the xmen were a poor allegory for race relations because they were all white and that in recent years there has been more of a push to make the team a diverse and inclusive I do agree with your argument I was making a dumb joke.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I like it when Jim Sterling says the things I've been ranting about for a very long time. Because people don't pay attention to me, but they do pay attention to Jim Sterling.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

dbzfandiego posted:

Well ok the xmen were a poor allegory for race relations because they were all white and that in recent years there has been more of a push to make the team a diverse and inclusive I do agree with your argument I was making a dumb joke.

"in recent years"

do you mean the 1970s

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

It's probably because the anime just got to the scene where (spoilers for Attack on Titan) the leader of the military junta that controls the armed forces the main cast work under gets assassinated by right wing nationalists, all the while
a crowd in support of the killing starts screaming the motto of the Survey Corps, "devote your heart(s)," (a line that got popular within the fandom) while members of the main cast look on in horror. The assassination itself is carried under the auspices of Eren, the protagonist, who has gone full accelerationist and is planning on killing everyone outside of their nation.

It's the point of the story where it's proven that it's anti-fascist and anti-nationalist. Eren has always been shown to be an unstable person that's been outright called 'a monster that would kill anyone that impedes him.' The last third of the series recontextualizes his behavior as the endpoint of an extremist that's unwilling to compromise and by the end of the series, his friends, colleagues and even his enemies have all banded together to try and stop him from committing omnicide.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Alaois posted:

"in recent years"

do you mean the 1970s

I'm going to be honest xmen is a giant blind spot for me and I keep thinking things happened later than they did due to the confusing glute of the 90s and ya poor choice of words I meant later in its run.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFIlUa6WYuM

Heres a video about the failure of Demo Reel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ariong posted:

The thesis statement of Jim's latest video is basically "I have nothing left to say about Anthem because I predicted all of this a year ago, and I was able to predict it not because I'm some genius but because greedy game companies keep making the same mistakes and this keeps happening."

Anthem was clearly going to be a failure from its first reveal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Anthem was clearly going to be a failure from its first reveal.

yeah probably. it could have been cool but like sterling said, their idea was "hey lets make destiny, how hard could that be" and than they sat around talking about backstory and then did nothing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

X-men as an allegory for fighting racism is awkward and tone-deaf because you get situations where a black character is racist against mutants and Kitty Pride uses the n-word rhetorically in order to teach a black man that racism is wrong. It’s extremely clumsy and confused and happened three times in the 80s.

Basically, the levels of the allegory can’t stay straight and the whole thing collapses if there are any other kinds of racism in the comic world that also exist in reality.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dias posted:

:emptyquote:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I remember reading something (not an essay, just like a one-off comment) where they said that the issue with X-Men and the discrimination analogy is that whole superpowers angle sort of throws it out of whack. I get that's what you meant with the 'threat' aspect, but to me it's more of a thing of, "You know Cyclops could trip and his visor could fall off, and he might end up shooting eye lasers at the side of building and damage its foundation, putting the people inside in jeopardy." Then you think about, I dunno, Toad, and it's like, "Yeah, he's weird looking and he eats bugs, but that also describes that one weird kid in kindergarten who ate paste."

I'm just saying X-Men would be much different if mutants just had really benign powers and mutations, like being able to see five seconds into the future, or having eyes in the back of their head or something.

I dunno. :shrug:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

:emptyquote:

I remember reading something (not an essay, just like a one-off comment) where they said that the issue with X-Men and the discrimination analogy is that whole superpowers angle sort of throws it out of whack. I get that's what you meant with the 'threat' aspect, but to me it's more of a thing of, "You know Cyclops could trip and his visor could fall off, and he might end up shooting eye lasers at the side of building and damage its foundation, putting the people inside in jeopardy." Then you think about, I dunno, Toad, and it's like, "Yeah, he's weird looking and he eats bugs, but that also describes that one weird kid in kindergarten who ate paste."

I'm just saying X-Men would be much different if mutants just had really benign powers and mutations, like being able to see five seconds into the future, or having eyes in the back of their head or something.

I dunno. :shrug:

there are plenty of mutants with benign powers

doug ramsey's mutant power is being able to understand any language

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The x-men are all beautiful and have superhuman powers and live in a mansion and all have lots of friends, plus they have secret identities and can go anywhere in the world and do anything that they want. That’s a very strained situation into which to inject a metaphor that has anything to do with bigotry, which is probably why it was just one small element of a goofy soap-opera action book where they had dumb adventures in like a giant pinball machine and went to space back in the 70s.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think it’s also an alternate track on the blu ray from ~10 years ago, as that’s why I bought it.

Just as a side-note on this; I checked around and the upcoming UHD/Blu-Ray release will also have the 1988 Streamline Dub. So you can watch it in 4K Dolby 5.1 glory.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah probably. it could have been cool but like sterling said, their idea was "hey lets make destiny, how hard could that be" and than they sat around talking about backstory and then did nothing.
their idea wasn't even that detailed, it was "let's make a successful game".

Max Wilco posted:

I get that's what you meant with the 'threat' aspect, but to me it's more of a thing of, "You know Cyclops could trip and his visor could fall off, and he might end up shooting eye lasers at the side of building and damage its foundation, putting the people inside in jeopardy."
a prime example of how ignorance informs bigotry. cyclops could never do that because he doesn't have eye lasers he has kinetic beams that can't melt steel.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

a prime example of how ignorance informs bigotry. cyclops could never do that because he doesn't have eye lasers he has kinetic beams that can't melt steel.

If Cyclops continuously stared at a steel beam would the kinetic energy tern into friction and would that friction eventually be enough to melt a said beam?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Ghostlight posted:

I mean alternatively, he misses the building, but hits a hot dog stand, or Wolverine eating a hot dog, and Wolverine just gets up and says, "Goddammit Cyclops, why can't you have a better super power, like regeneration or being able to understand any language? Your kinetic eye lasers suck."

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

their idea wasn't even that detailed, it was "let's make a successful game".

That article breaking down the failed development was wild for how often there was some element of "Well, we realized that there basically wasn't a game. So we stopped doing anything productive so that we could mock up a somewhat convincing fake demo to keep the suits off our backs for another few months while we tried to figure out the game."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been having a hell of a terrible few weeks, and I just want to say again that Day9 is an incredibly important resource in this shitshow as a beacon of optimism, humor, goodwill, upbeat attitudes, and large amounts of entertainment available at a whim.

I have been watching his Factorio archives from last year, they are exceptional, both if you are unfamiliar with factorio and also if you are very familiar with factorio, for very different reasons. When he starts loving with trains, things get amazing. I would love to see fanart of him driving a train, desperately plunking down entire electrical wire towers as he goes as he screams down the tracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o64vB2N30c&hd=1

and also this dumb MTG Arena deck he made that is 99% a great solid blue/white deck but he insists on forcing four Elixir of the Cosmos, a middling to terrible card, in, which occasionally works and often doesn't. It's good fun. Also you get to see his good adopted dog Cece who has a terminal kidney disorder, but he is determined to give her the best life she will have regardless. Day9 is a great guy and I'm thankful he's still around long past his starcraft days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk5mizLzUwc&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 2, 2021

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Violet_Sky posted:

What a video to make your first. The part about Elizabeth Hartman... Hooo boy.
It was very good for a first attempt. I'm looking forward to seeing more from her in the future.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

That article breaking down the failed development was wild for how often there was some element of "Well, we realized that there basically wasn't a game. So we stopped doing anything productive so that we could mock up a somewhat convincing fake demo to keep the suits off our backs for another few months while we tried to figure out the game."

:psyduck:

You mean EA are the actual good guys here?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

I guess it's a good way to make some inroads with other reviewers, or to use inroads with other reviewers to get your own channel started. But man, what tough start. It's like making Manos the Hands of Fate the first episode of MST3K.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

From what the article says the game still suffered from EA decisions, just that the project was fundamentally hosed from the ground-up rather than top-down.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Violet_Sky posted:

THe fact that I remember the loving "Plot Hole" How it was suppose to be the force and that it all somehow made sense to me...woof...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's beyond the point but why is the camera and lighting so bad for Demo Reel. It looks insanely cheap before you get to the embarrassing writing and such,

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's beyond the point but why is the camera and lighting so bad for Demo Reel. It looks insanely cheap before you get to the embarrassing writing and such,

Ambition > Skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Even when I was super into Channel Awesome, I never gave Demo Reel the time of day.