Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

TITLE 18, U.S.C., SECTION 242

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, ... shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

does this mean present US law allows for the death sentence for every ICE agent at a facility with sexual abuse rings

i know it'll never happen, i'm just saying hypothetically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the first time I saw that picture I thought that was one of his daughters

...nope! :sigh:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Manchin continues to be protected and beloved there lol

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

sleep with the vicious posted:

Hey they have 1 or 2 people who don't want to do something, so its impossible to do anything to help anyone! What are you, a Putin Trump lover?

hey, now I wasn't trying to– look, I'm just glad the migrant kids are out of their cages

https://twitter.com/grahamelwood/status/1366477449287004163?s=20

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Lol if one still photo seals Cuomo's fate while dozens of C-SPAN clips of Biden bounce off ol' Joe.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ytlaya posted:

Also why is the picture shot from like 2 feet high

to appeal to chris cilizza

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/herosnvrdie69/status/1366562165151399940

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

gandlethorpe posted:

Lol if one still photo seals Cuomo's fate while dozens of C-SPAN clips of Biden bounce off ol' Joe.

Seriously, gently caress this. That Cuomo photo, while probably evidence of assault, is still like 100 millijoes of creep at most

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'll settle for Cuomo's scalp, personally, but what I'd really love is if he melted down and turned on Biden

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
https://twitter.com/stavvybaby/status/1366593661157441536?s=20

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh and also

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Sure, but it's also very close to Mannus from Tacitus

Though at that point they actually just be MST3K fans

Mannus, with 2 n's, is Latin for "pony"

there was a sword from Ogre Battle 64 (one of my favorite games as a kid) called the Sum Mannus, which means "I am a pony"

it was lightning element :shrug:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

:hmmyes:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Speaking truth to power

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
i miss his old laugh

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mealy-mouthed poo poo about "calling for an investigation," like every dem pol including aoc.

at least de blasio has a pair, even if it's just out of personal spite:

quote:

De Blasio said the governor’s comments were not “an apology."

“He seemed to be saying, ‘Oh, I was just kidding around.’ Sexual harassment’s not funny. It’s serious, and it has to be taken seriously,” de Blasio said. “And he just clearly was letting himself off the hook for something that, for the women involved, sounded pretty terrifying.”

this is how you do it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

also, his COVID response is a rabbit hole many other people in power don't want to do down.

there are several other dem governors who did the same bad nursing-home poo poo as cuomo like suspending inspections while providing broad legal immunity to for-profit owners, and whose states had nursing-home residents accounting for 60-80 percent of deaths in the early months of the pandemic.

but only cuomo intentionally lied about where the deaths were taking place, and resisted pressure to release the numbers till he was forced to.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shipon posted:

i just read a story today about some nursing home for japanese-americans being one of the hardest hit places in LA over the past few months and it was because the loving state shoved covid patients into nursing homes in exchange for payments

loving monsters, all of them

I wonder how many of the victims had once lived in the california concentration camps as kids.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Willa Rogers posted:

I wonder how many of the victims had once lived in the california concentration camps as kids.

when i visited manzanar there was some guy in a lifted truck driving around in circles with a giant american flag for a bit

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/401472926312038412/815804446327308338/4207.mp4

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

the first time I saw that picture I thought that was one of his daughters

...nope! :sigh:

the second woman who came out about cuomo played soccer with one of cuomo's daughters when they were younger. :barf:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the cuomo sex pest stuff happening immediately after the nursing home stuff is not a coincidence right? obviously after the first he became pretty vulnerable.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

I am once again reminded of why I like Yang.

Accretionist posted:

I like Yang.

I'd be surprised if Yang had ever murdered a prostitute.

As far as US politicians go, that's pretty good.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

fits my needs posted:

when i visited manzanar there was some guy in a lifted truck driving around in circles with a giant american flag for a bit

working hard

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I opened up the USPOL thread with the intention of harvesting some posts for later on but I had to stop reading. I just could not take it.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

bedpan posted:

I opened up the USPOL thread with the intention of harvesting some posts for later on but I had to stop reading. I just could not take it.

lmfao the guy who thinks manchin wants to raise the minimum wage

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

lmfao the guy who thinks manchin wants to raise the minimum wage

manchin wants to raze the minimum wage

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

bedpan posted:

manchin wants to raze the minimum wage

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

bedpan posted:

I've been rubbernecking it out of morbid curiosity lately and a dude seemed to unironically claim they were waiting to pull the trigger on nuking the filibuster until it was time to pass the GND and I too quit reading it

Not even detached from reality. Actively hostile toward reality

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

there are several other dem governors who did the same bad nursing-home poo poo as cuomo like suspending inspections while providing broad legal immunity to for-profit owners, and whose states had nursing-home residents accounting for 60-80 percent of deaths in the early months of the pandemic.

but only cuomo intentionally lied about where the deaths were taking place, and resisted pressure to release the numbers till he was forced to.

Autobiographical book lying about murdering helpless seniors winning a daytime Emmy for an Italian rapist celebrated by self-described cuomosexuals who abjectly refuse to send monetary relief to the poor despite explicitly promising to do so, and also the guys brother is a reporter on fake news CNN

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I've been rubbernecking it out of morbid curiosity lately and a dude seemed to unironically claim they were waiting to pull the trigger on nuking the filibuster until it was time to pass the GND and I too quit reading it

I glanced in and they seemed to not understand how people happily vote for hurting others when one side says "better things aren't possible" and the other side says "better things aren't possible but we can definitely make them worse for other people."

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

A lot of folk over there also seem pretty convinced 2022 going to go well for the blue team despite neither history nor expected redistricting likely to be favorable for them

I don’t know where the confidence comes from but these people clearly have long memories and can toss out all kinds of facts about what happened 4/6/8/10 years ago but somehow lack the ability to recognize patterns or to apply any of those things they’ve observed to any kind of predictive metric other than “gonna be different this time yo”

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

Autobiographical book lying about murdering helpless seniors winning a daytime Emmy for an Italian rapist celebrated by self-described cuomosexuals who abjectly refuse to send monetary relief to the poor despite explicitly promising to do so, and also the guys brother is a reporter on fake news CNN

What do you call the act?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/cenkuygur/status/1366619723488632832?s=20

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a joke here that I am not getting?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Majorian posted:

USPol

Alternate answer: the Democrat party

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Majorian posted:

randy rainbow

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

bedpan posted:

Is there a joke here that I am not getting?

Cenk is a joke but I'm not sure there's a punchline

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Cenk is a joke but I'm not sure there's a punchline

hmm, wasn't Cenk one of the few people endorsed by Bernie Sanders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The top-rated reader comments about the latest nyt story on cuomo, spoilered for obvious reasons:

Times Pick
Enough already. Cuomo is not perfect but he shouldn’t have to resign over this. If a guy did this to me, I’d be uncomfortable for a moment and then I’d walk away. I wouldn’t be crying about this more than a year later to a national newspaper.

Stories like this set the feminist cause back.

- Signed a brown woman in her 30s

It was so scandalous and offensive that it happened in the middle of a crowded wedding and someone took a cell phone pic? Please.

And the only reason his hand was on your “bare” lower back is because your dress was backless. It’s common for men to gently touch a woman’s lower back if they’re even slightly flirtatious or gentlemanly. It’s not creepy; it’s generational. Feel free to tell men to get lost. Communicating boundaries is an essential skill in all areas of life.

Let the public decide what Cuomo should do with a quickly approaching election. To waste one minute on resignation or replacement during a pandemic is ridiculous.

Oh for the bloody love of god, can NO woman under the age of 50 handle being hit on anymore?! I'm a similar age to Ms. Ruch and I have never had a single moment's hesitation in slapping some guy's hands away - playfully or forcefully, as the situation calls for - and defusing the situation by making clear in the moment that the attention is not appreciated. I was unaware until the last year or so that this is no longer just reality and to be dealt with accordingly!

Also, perhaps a bit of an overshare, but despite the numerous condemnatory comments I've read on the NYT this past week, I have in fact willingly, consensually, and eagerly engaged in sexual relationships with men in their 50s and 60s when I was in my 20s; some women do, in fact, enjoy the sexual attentions of men of "a certain age." While these relationships were occasionally with professional colleagues or those in workplace positions senior to mine, I never once felt harassed or taken advantage of...Likely because it never occurred to me not to say "Sorry, not interested," if I wasn't.

Perhaps, in addition to venturing out of the 'safe spaces' so many younger Millenials & Gen Z women seem to believe are things that exist in the real world, it would behoove of them to talk to their mothers, aunts, grandmothers, etc. about the actual reality of the world? Because I for one am sick of the 'victim' mentality that is now so de rigueur.

Asking someone if you can kiss them is now a high crime? I’m not buying it. Investigate, fine, but let’s not Franken another good man.

I think it’s nice that he’s asking for consent. What’s wrong with asking? That’s when you get to say no.

The problem is men who don’t ask.

Is it uncommon for someone to have a few drinks at a wedding and be forward with someone they are attracted to? No. In fact it is rather common. Uncomfortable and oafish, yes. But not so terrible that a job should be lost.

I'm 76 and gay. That could be me in the photo with the charming looking young woman (older, shorter, etc). It's a party. You kiss people. I think that — at least this instance — is a generational thing. I understand that there is a long, long history of men taking advantage of women. But there is also a long history of people enjoying each other. Could we just lower the tension a little? And, maybe, not take ourselves so seriously?

I’m a little horrified by many of the comments here. Seems like quite a few people think you can just walk up to person and put your hands on them, ask to kiss them, etc etc and it’s okay. I’m a woman in her 30s and I would be disgusted if anyone did this to me, even at a party. Why is it okay to invade someone’s personal space? Just because this used to be “normal” behavior back in the day, doesn’t mean it’s okay. There doesn’t need to be a “crime” for behavior to be inappropriate.