Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maybe they're just going for a limited animation sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Maybe they're just going for a limited animation sort of thing?

Some of the character art was pretty melty, too. A motion comic usually ensures that every still image is strong and appealing - this just looks messy.

It's no Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro, for sure.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Studio Deen/Gonzo behind this adaptation?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It looks like the Gokudols adaptation in that there's almost no actual animation

Oh it's by the same director.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the few credits out there for it line up with the similarly limited Backstreet Girls adaptation for Netflix

so it seems likely they don't give this team much to work with and take what comes out of that. e: since like, you can see the director turn out perfectly good anime elsewhere (even under JC Staff) earlier in her resume...but then you have these two weird standouts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Is Studio Deen/Gonzo behind this adaptation?
ah yes, studio deen. known for their slapshod animation. they definitely havent made a lot of the most well-animated tv anime of the past decade.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sindai posted:

It looks like the Gokudols adaptation in that there's almost no actual animation

Oh it's by the same director.

i wouldnt blame the dircetor for this or anything, chiaki kon's done great work on sailor moon crystal season 3, and it's clearly not an issue of direction, just extremely limited resources.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah it's clearly not a JC Staff thing or a Chiaki Kon thing, I guess it's just that whoever's putting up most of the money for these adaptations (netflix? do both manga have the same publisher?) doesn't want to put up much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Netflix would probably be the culprit here, since Backstreet Girls was a netflix thing too, and while the two manga are very different they have similar themes of 'grizzled gangster does something you wouldn't expect a grizzled gangster to do,' adult main characters, subversive senses of humor, etc. backstreet girls is criminally unfunny while househusband is pretty alright, but still, you can draw the line there.

So yeah, it's definitely a case of Netflix being the sole member of the production committee and not giving them any money to work with. Another obvious indicator of that is the fact that Househusband is getting a live-action adaptation at the same time - stuff getting an anime and a live action version isn't unheard of, but usually they're spaced out a bit. like Yuru Camp went anime S1, live-action adaptation, anime S2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
chiaki kon just kinda has the misfortune of being on messier productions sometimes, even for something as janky as the first season of higurashi she directed s2 and that was a huge step up with some really fun animation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

She's extremely reliable and an oldhand with lots of directing experience so it makes sense she gets lumped at messy projects sometimes. The House Husband anime looks very bad but it doesnt look like its like, Marchen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

She's extremely reliable and an oldhand with lots of directing experience so it makes sense she gets lumped at messy projects sometimes. The House Husband anime looks very bad but it doesnt look like its like, Marchen.

We're talking about a trailer, though. Marchen was at least able to look reasonably presentable for that, yes?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

We're talking about a trailer, though. Marchen was at least able to look reasonably presentable for that, yes?
well,

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

when did marchen madchen end up finishing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1366553846890307584

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It took almost a year for the last 2 episodes to be finished

Shame as the concept was pretty good and it could of been a great series if done right but given how the light novels went it's fitting that the anime got cursed

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1365640589677637633

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sindai posted:

Yeah it's clearly not a JC Staff thing or a Chiaki Kon thing, I guess it's just that whoever's putting up most of the money for these adaptations (netflix? do both manga have the same publisher?) doesn't want to put up much.

it's extremely funny when juxtaposed against a line in the trailer about netflix rolling in dough

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is that Kaiba's voice for the house husbando?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Well I guess I can always read Way of the Househusband.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The tv show looked liek poo poo too

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is that Kaiba's voice for the house husbando?

Yes indeed it is on examination! He's also Nanami in Jujutsu Kaisen (which I only just now noticed while looking this up).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It took almost a year for the last 2 episodes to be finished

Shame as the concept was pretty good and it could of been a great series if done right but given how the light novels went it's fitting that the anime got cursed

Did the original creator die before or after the anime?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Well I guess I can always read Way of the Househusband.

Live action one isn't bad, but it's more of a serial actual ongoing plots between episodes, some characters retooled to facilitate it, then a whole new character added for reasons :iiam:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Before :(

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just got caught up on Beastars S2 and I'm finding myself enjoying it much more than I did the first season. Juno is such a cutie and it's funny how she also keeps getting inside her own head like Legoshi. I wonder if it's a wolf thing in general to be that way.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Netflix put out a trailer for the Way of the Househusband anime, and... oh dear.

https://twitter.com/nxonnetflix/status/1366553846890307584?s=21

That was seriously the best art and animation they could put together for their sizzle reel?

According to Kon, the director, that was the directive from the producer.

https://natalie.mu/comic/news/418358

quote:

At the same time, the trailer, key art, and scene cuts were also shown. Chiaki Kon, who is directing the animation, said, "The producer said, 'Make an animation that looks like a manga! Never move the characters! It was a lot of work. ...... There were scenes where I thought, "It would be easier to just draw the scene! It was not an easy work at all (laughs). (laughs)." The author of the original story, Ono, also said, "I felt that the method was very well suited to the fast-paced atmosphere of the work. I felt that the speed of the gags was not spoiled by the various ways of showing and directing with limited materials. In addition, the voice actors' performances can be directly felt and enjoyed, I think.

Translated with https://www.deepl.com/Translator (free version)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

psyer posted:

According to Kon, the director, that was the directive from the producer.

https://natalie.mu/comic/news/418358
Well, we shall see whether if sails or flops.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Limited animation comedies can be pretty great (Sunred, Honda-san) but this just looks bad

And considering how lackluster the live action series was, they probably should've just gotten whoever directed the commercials with Tsuda to do a movie or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McVsBG7iLaQ

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Well at least he didn't have to watch his work get ruined.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Xelkelvos posted:

before the light novels, actually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, marchen is an uncompleted work that was published after his death. thats why the op of the show is called unfinished story

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
The manga artist of Spider Isekai chimed in on every one's favorite creepy sex pest isekai of the season.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...setting/.170157

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 4, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm glad they are enjoying Mushoku Tensei.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

At least read the headlines you're linking.

quote:

On Sunday, Asahiro Kakashi, who draws the manga adaptation of Okina Baba's So I'm a Spider, So What? novels,

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that was an enjoyable read

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that the thing that shocks this guy the most is a woman masturbating

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i get what's to like about the tone of mushoku tensei but also like the masturbation scene we've seen was 100% eromanga scenario of sitting in the hallway peering through the crack of a door and watching two people do it. its not quite hitting 'frank depiction of medieval sexuality'

but well. that kind of messiness is narou

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm more put off by the unabashed pedophilia myself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like ann buried the lede the bit by calling kakashi 'the manga author of im a spider, so what?' and not 'the lauded author of A Scientist's Theory of Love, Copulation, and Sex Reassignment Surgery,' 'Threesome Career Advice,' and 'Masochist Family Planning.' i feel like his back catalog might have some relevance in this context. just a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

doomrider7 posted:

The author of Spider Isekai chimed in on every one's favorite creepy sex pest isekai of the season.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...setting/.170157
This is forums terrorism