Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I was going to let them know but I wasn't sure if I was right, then I thought "no I will tell them" and then got concerned I might have been wrong, and just left the whole thing along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Memento posted:

I was going to let them know but I wasn't sure if I was right, then I thought "no I will tell them" and then got concerned I might have been wrong, and just left the whole thing along.

Along what? Or haven't you decided?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Need some help with this. Is this a cancel culture joke

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

It's more of a "dumb immigrants" "joke".

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Data Graham posted:

"haha they dont understand english, idiots"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's really not a joke at their expense, if anything the idiot is whoever wrote that

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

It's a piece of dark observational humour about how immigrants are frequently required to use the host country's language to access resources that would enable them to learn said language.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cat is named "Video" and no one will convince me otherwise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

gbut posted:

I'm pretty sure the artist drew the crowd as multiracial specifically to avoid that being the joke

edit: Seems like it'd work with any combination of two languages really, I think seeing it as being at the expense of immigrants is reading a bit too much into a one panel newspaper comic

Here also for your consideration is a picture of a weird matchbox which you may find humorous

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Mar 2, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was like "tonight's class" implies they've been coming to this class for weeks now so surely they can be expected to read written materials, and if they're going for the hoary old "Illiterate? Call this phone number for a free pamphlet" sort of joke they could have done it in a bunch of different ways

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I was like "tonight's class" implies they've been coming to this class for weeks now so surely they can be expected to read written materials, and if they're going for the hoary old "Illiterate? Call this phone number for a free pamphlet" sort of joke they could have done it in a bunch of different ways
do you think you would understand 今晚的课程已取消 written up on a blackboard after a few night classes?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Data Graham posted:

I took it as being the first class, myself.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'll give u a hint: the artist's intention is you look at it, say "lol, Mexicans are stupid", and go back to watching OANN

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

gbut posted:

I think the ESL bit is more to explain why these people would be learning a language. The joke works if the class is "French for beginners" but that would require the reader to understand enough French to read the board.

So it could just be "English for beginners" but then American or English audiences would be confused about why adults in presumably the same country as them wouldn't understand enough English to read the message.

You'd need to convey that this group doesn't already speak the language (the "for beginners" itself probably wouldn't be enough). 30 years ago the cartoonist would have placed the classroom in a stereotypical foreign location; maybe the Eiffel tower would be visible out a window and they'd all be wearing berets.

Another version of the joke, maybe a bit more mean-spirited, would have made the class an adult literacy class, "overcoming adult illiteracy" or something.

It's a bad joke and clumsily executed, but I think the joke is "someone didn't think that through" and not "dumb loving foreigners can't even read gud."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Killer robot posted:

This picture made me stop and evaluate. Putting hot dogs in made me actually look at what is really happening.

This is what the left has been missing all these years. You want people to care about unions and corporate tax cuts and privatization, gotta throw some weiners in there.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

PBFing is a time-honored forum tradition

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Lobok posted:

This is what the left has been missing all these years. You want people to care about unions and corporate tax cuts and privatization, gotta throw some weiners in there.

Throwing weiners in solves pretty much any problem.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Actually, I think a lot of our societies problems comes from letting to many wieners make the rules.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Another version of the joke, maybe a bit more mean-spirited, would have made the class an adult literacy class, "overcoming adult illiteracy" or something.

It's a bad joke and clumsily executed, but I think the joke is "someone didn't think that through" and not "dumb loving foreigners can't even read gud."

This is what the Far Side would've done and why it is the superior "humans are dumb cattle" comic

edit:

Close enough!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Mar 2, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Killer robot posted:

This picture made me stop and evaluate. Putting hot dogs in made me actually look at what is really happening.
As a student of sex-having I can say that I've seen hundreds of statistics like these, and have shown little to no emotion. The statistics were just a window to a past I've never lived in, sex I never had and will never have.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

CJacobs posted:

This is what the Far Side would've done and why it is the superior "humans are dumb cattle" comic

edit:

Close enough!
Well that comic is completely aping Larson's art style so stealing his jokes is just part of the process.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Osmosisch posted:

It's a piece of dark observational humour about how immigrants are frequently required to use the host country's language to access resources that would enable them to learn said language.

This is how I read it. I don't see how it works as a "dumb immigrants" joke at all.

CJacobs posted:

Here also for your consideration is a picture of a weird matchbox which you may find humorous

This is part of a collection by Ravi Zupa. Here's more of it (but not everything):

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

This is how I read it. I don't see how it works as a "dumb immigrants" joke at all.

This is part of a collection by Ravi Zupa. Here's more of it (but not everything):

I have two prints I like from them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I really don't think that stupid comic is racist. It makes fun of the teacher and the idiot system foreigners have to deal with to become part of a new society.
Only offensive part is how much it rips off Gary Larson, as others have pointed out.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
You people are just insane. Are you really fighting the culture war 24/7? Just because someone was born in the 50s doesn't mean they're a fascist.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Prurient Squid posted:

You people are just insane. Are you really fighting the culture war 24/7? Just because someone was born in the 50s doesn't mean they're a fascist.

Who are you talking to

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Prurient Squid posted:

Yes. And I don't even mean that my definition of the culture war is different from yours. Yes, I really am going to point out lovely racist jokes every time I see them.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yes. And I don't even mean that my definition of the culture war is different from yours. Yes, I really am going to point out lovely racist jokes every time I see them.

Classic tradeoff between sensitivity and specificity. We just need a 2nd poster to do the confirmatory testing for you.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I used to be an ESL tutor, and I'm trying to think if any of my former students would be offended or feel attacked by that comic, and I'm really having a hard time seeing it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DACK FAYDEN posted:

And even when you don't!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Yoshi Wins posted:

I used to be an ESL tutor, and I'm trying to think if any of my former students would be offended or feel attacked by that comic, and I'm really having a hard time seeing it.

Having been an ESL student myself, I feel the same way.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Wow goons reading way too far into that comic and trying to cancel the artist, smh

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The artist is already cancelled. You can move on now.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Yoshi Wins posted:

I had it sent to me by one of my former students.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

khysanth posted:

Wow goons reading way too far into that comic and trying to cancel the artist, smh

what is this, the local?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lodin posted:

I really don't think that stupid comic is racist. It makes fun of the teacher and the idiot system foreigners have to deal with to become part of a new society.
Only offensive part is how much it rips off Gary Larson, as others have pointed out.

The posts about the joke being "immigrants are dumb" are single sentence poo poo-n-runs. They're bait.

Mr. Bung
Mar 24, 2005

Get out the pink press threat file
and Um-brrrptzzap the subject.

Lodin posted:

And Larson took/stole blatantly from Kliban, so it's just part of the cycle. So it's not really offensive at all. Bingo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Hell yeah like 40 new posts in one of my favorite threads! Gonna see so many funny pictures!

Oh.