Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

"Conservatives are saying that babies come out of the butthole, and not the vagina as previously theorized."

SHARE IT OR YOU'RE A TRAITOR!

tek79 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

These days there's a decent chance that the chuds don't even have an actual US flag anymore, just some hideous combo of Trump/thin blue line/no step on snek

Don't forget Confederate

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the_steve posted:

Don't forget Confederate

Probably told this story in this thread before, but I had a boomer aged neighbor call me over once when I was walking my dog when we first got her.

"Hey, you know why I fly this Confederate flag?"
[Internally: you're a racist rear end in a top hat that hates Black people?]
"Um, no?"
"Cause I hate [THE WORD]s! There was a girl in this neighborhood twenty years ago a bunch of [WORD]s tied her up raped her and cut her head off before sticking her in a freezer, that's why I hate [WORD]s"

A1A baby, east side avenue!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The flag is fine and I don't much give a gently caress what it looks like. Just that people use it on their internet avatars, their clothes, hats, plaster it all over their cars, erect flagpoles in their yards and I just KNOW that they suck. It's a weird type of virtue signaling expressing a "love" of something they can't even really explain except that "it's good".

Like rooting for the face in a wrestling match against the Iranian/Japanese/African dude because "booooo, those guys....USA! USA! USA!" or having a loving conniption fit about wearing USA flag lapel pins.

I wish I wasn't automatically conditioned to dislike someone that is ostensibly expressing love and pride for their country but here I am. I feel the same way about people that aggressively express their religious faith and, more and more, these two things are usually intertwined. Not too wild about a theocratic dictatorship that worships a real estate salesman.

EDIT:

Also, as a graphic designer, I run into a poo poo TON of businesses that want their logo/walls/cars/flyers laid out with the U.S. flag and it's REALLY hard to make text readable when I use it since it's high contrast and very busy. But every other car repair place or AC installer is "All American" this, "Eagle" that or some brash commercial use of a symbol that is supposed to mean "freedom".

It's very hard to reverse out or overprint 8 point text on a business card that has the flag on it and make it readable and still make room for the starburst.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 1, 2021

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They just conflate patriotism and tribalism. They’ll scream to high heaven about leaving if you don’t like living here or you have to respect the president because of the position. It’s like, bitch, no I don’t. You keep screaming about freedom and it’s my freedom to despise things about the country I like.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Invalid Validation posted:

They just conflate patriotism and tribalism. They’ll scream to high heaven about leaving if you don’t like living here or you have to respect the president because of the position. It’s like, bitch, no I don’t. You keep screaming about freedom and it’s my freedom to despise things about the country I like.

Fortunately, "love it or leave it" only applies when someone they like is in charge. When someone they don't like is in charge, they suddenly remember that criticism of the president is perfectly allowed and actually patriotic and good to do.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hell, even when their guy is in charge; it's "make America great again" not "America isnt great anymore, time to leave"

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I've been waiting patiently, I have a handful of the memes saved, so when are those fuchs going to be told, "If you don't like it leave!"?

I'm proud of my country, proud that we have a well laid out constitution that admits a reasonable, legal interpretation. (And I'm aware there are issues but like that we're supposed to be able to talk about them here.) I can't show a flag for all the reasons given above, that apparently one can only be proud of their country if they... want it destroyed and turned into a dictatorship.

So yeah, you less than but near 50%, the ones whose past two presidents have lost the popular vote, why don't you stop being hypocrites, set the example, and get out.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I thought Jack Chick was long dead and his tracts were just them reprinting all his old poo poo.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

PhazonLink posted:

I thought Jack Chick was long dead and his tracts were just them reprinting all his old poo poo.

Jack Chick himself died in the way-in-the-past year of 2016. Considering he was born in the 1920's, I doubt he had much creative control over his tracts in the modern era.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah Chick died about four years ago, but that would have been plenty of time to put Family Guy in a tract since it started airing in what, 1999? 2000?

At any rate there have been two artists (that we know of) that worked on Chick tracts. Chick drew most of them himself, and the one thing that's for sure is that that tract I posted is definitely not the "good" Chick tract artist, Fred Carter. Carter did a lot of the "for black audiences" tracts as well as ones that were more serious and straightforward, rather than some of the goofy humor Chick used in his tracts. There was also potentially a third artist, but he apparently only did a handful of tracts.

They're definitely making new tracts though, and there were a few that Chick had drawn that were released after his death. According to the Jack T. Chick Museum of Fine Art, "All God's Creatures?" was released in 2018 and was the last tract Chick drew himself. Aside from that, "Is That All?", "Just Sign Here," "Tell Me About It!", and "What About Me?" were released in 2019, and "Snowflake?" and "Virtual Reality?" are 2020 releases.

Chick drawing until his death isn't that surprising, loving Kirschen is still drawing his lovely political cartoons and he's 82.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Needs the paired frame for context.

Things were a lot more wholesome when we watched people pretend to shoot one another on the mobile x-ray machine and book warmer instead of Sodomy Guy.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Is that Gunsmoke on the television?

Good ole Christian values on that show.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

JGdmn posted:

Is that Gunsmoke on the television?

Good ole Christian values on that show.

Boomers loving love cowboy TV. Cowboy culture was loving EVERYTHING to child boomers, it's why A Christmas Story is one of their favorite movies. You think Game of Thrones was a phenomenon? Cowboy culture had it beat. Didn't matter if you grew up outside an apple orchard in Smithfield or dairy farm in Iowa, you loved cowboys.

One of the various think videos in response to the "you couldn't make blazing saddles today!" line of thoughts did a really deep dive on just how much of a cultural phenomenon cowboys were. It was p good.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm a little bothered by the fact that any time an american flag flying in someone's yard or a sticker on their car that I can usually assume they're some kind of a CHUD rear end in a top hat.

The American flag symbolizes being a huge rear end in a top hat, yes.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Orange Devil posted:

If you see someone with an American flag in their Facebook profile or cover pic, you can be 100% dead-bang certain they are a huge rear end in a top hat. Same with "School of Hard Knocks" in their bio.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This is true of anyone with any national flag in their profile pic, in my experience. The richer the country the bigger the rear end in a top hat, so if someone has like, Kenya they might be alright.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

Boomers loving love cowboy TV. Cowboy culture was loving EVERYTHING to child boomers, it's why A Christmas Story is one of their favorite movies. You think Game of Thrones was a phenomenon? Cowboy culture had it beat. Didn't matter if you grew up outside an apple orchard in Smithfield or dairy farm in Iowa, you loved cowboys.

One of the various think videos in response to the "you couldn't make blazing saddles today!" line of thoughts did a really deep dive on just how much of a cultural phenomenon cowboys were. It was p good.

Superhero movies are the new cowboy movies. You will bore your grandkids to death when you watch iron man 2 every Sunday afternoon and you go on about how your modern ai holo-actors couldn't hold a candle to mickey rourke with the skipping ropes on his arms

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

Superhero movies are the new cowboy movies. You will bore your grandkids to death when you watch iron man 2 every Sunday afternoon and you go on about how your modern ai holo-actors couldn't hold a candle to mickey rourke with the skipping ropes on his arms

I am 100% ready for Mel Brooks to kill the MCU.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Lib and let die posted:

Pretty sure this is the video you're thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzMFoNZeZm0

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

I am 100% ready for Mel Brooks to kill the MCU.

Ever since someone here framed super hero movies as the new western I've been really wondering what the super hero Blazing Saddles will end up looking like. Also when it will come out because Disney is going to extract every last drop of blood from that stone.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is true of anyone with any national flag in their profile pic, in my experience. The richer the country the bigger the rear end in a top hat, so if someone has like, Kenya they might be alright.

Yeah but there's something about the U.S. flag in particular. I've heard and read a lot of feedback from tourists and immigrants that are always taken aback at how ubiquitous our old glory worship is here and how it's not like that in other nations.

I was listening to something today on NPR -- some sort of government deal -- and still don't know what it was but it sounded bad since all I had time to listen to was all the members recite the pledge of allegiance and play the star spangled banner. It's really loving creepy

Orange Devil posted:

I know and it loving blows. I think of Hunter Thompson and Jim Craig draped in it and wonder when it was stolen. Which assumes it ever even belonged to us in the first place I suppose

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Dameius posted:

Ever since someone here framed super hero movies as the new western I've been really wondering what the super hero Blazing Saddles will end up looking like. Also when it will come out because Disney is going to extract every last drop of blood from that stone.

The studios exert such tight control over every production from start to finish that the closest we'll probably get is either Deadpool or Super.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin

Lib and let die posted:

Imagine how they all feel now that westerns have pretty much transformed into morally ambiguous explorations of the human experience and colonialism, instead of the old white hat/black hat dichotomy.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Is Blazing Saddles actually considered to have helped kill of Westerns, or is that the joke?

I always assumed it's role and impact was the same as Young Frankenstein and Spaceballs and I've never heard anyone say that those killed horror movies or sci-fi movies.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There won’t be another Blazing Saddles cause those movies don’t make money.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They already had Superhero Movie in 2008 in the same vein as the Scary Movie movies. It was drew a lot from Sam Raimi’s Spider-man. I’ve only seen snippets of it and other “____ Movie” movies, but it seemed to be one of the “better” ones that made fun of genre tropes instead of just a string of punched-up scenes from the previous year’s trailers a la Epic Movie.

Genre parodies just aren’t transgressive anymore. I think the cultural impact of post-Scary Movie genre parodies is just a few sensible chuckles from Not Another Teen Movie (the makeover and the guy who tries to start slow claps) and memories of how absolutely awful and lazy Epic Movie and Meet the Spartans were.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

jjack229 posted:

Is Blazing Saddles actually considered to have helped kill of Westerns, or is that the joke?

I always assumed it's role and impact was the same as Young Frankenstein and Spaceballs and I've never heard anyone say that those killed horror movies or sci-fi movies.
blazing saddles absolutely helped kill the western and "you couldn't make blazing saddles today" because there's no need: all the myths of the white hatted, pure hearted cowboy defeating the black hatted, evil cowboy, are all dead. "deadpool" is the closest we'll get: a deconstruction of the genre. but while deadpool wants to be in the gang blazing saddles didn't.
the scene at the campfire wasn't just a fart joke back then, it was a statement on the purity and sanitation of the movies. it's commentary that modern audiences just don't have the same frame of reference for.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

See I always assumed the "You couldn't make Blazing Saddles today!" claims were from lovely right wingers mad that the dreaded SJWs would cancel them for saying the n word.

Sarcastro posted:

If you see someone with an American flag in their Facebook profile or cover pic, you can be 100% dead-bang certain they are a huge rear end in a top hat. Same with "School of Hard Knocks" in their bio.

Same with the yellow Gadsden flag license plates here in Virginia, though I've since amended my thinking to whoever owns the vehicle is the rear end in a top hat, rather than necessarily who's driving it. There's probably people who are forced to borrow a car from their parents or something that aren't assholes despite the license plate. Same poo poo happens to me when I borrow my mom's car and have to drive around with a Trump bumper sticker.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Twelve by Pies posted:

See I always assumed the "You couldn't make Blazing Saddles today!" claims were from lovely right wingers mad that the dreaded SJWs would cancel them for saying the n word.

Same with the yellow Gadsden flag license plates here in Virginia, though I've since amended my thinking to whoever owns the vehicle is the rear end in a top hat, rather than necessarily who's driving it. There's probably people who are forced to borrow a car from their parents or something that aren't assholes despite the license plate. Same poo poo happens to me when I borrow my mom's car and have to drive around with a Trump bumper sticker.

Why do you still have contact with a trump supporter?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Twelve by Pies posted:

The concept of a government issued Gadsden flag is so funny that it almost feels fake

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

InsertPotPun posted:

blazing saddles absolutely helped kill the western and "you couldn't make blazing saddles today" because there's no need: all the myths of the white hatted, pure hearted cowboy defeating the black hatted, evil cowboy, are all dead. "deadpool" is the closest we'll get: a deconstruction of the genre. but while deadpool wants to be in the gang blazing saddles didn't.
the scene at the campfire wasn't just a fart joke back then, it was a statement on the purity and sanitation of the movies. it's commentary that modern audiences just don't have the same frame of reference for.

The studio wanted the fart joke eliminated, Brooks tried to convince them otherwise, the studio insisted, Brooks relented and then "forgot" to remove it.

If I remember right it was the first time flatulence had been depicted in a movie, and boy howdy did it ever.

Blazing Saddles was amazing because it tore the mask off all sorts of movie-making conceits, a lot of it the racism in the cowboy genre and in others.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
God that fart scene was so unexpected and out of nowhere. I remember being very confused and laughing my rear end off.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if you "made blazing saddles today" it'd be a superhero movie that fans of superhero movies overwhelmingly hated

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you "made blazing saddles today" it'd be a superhero movie that fans of superhero movies overwhelmingly hated

Honestly everyone in today's audience is so irony poisoned that you could make a movie about superhero movies being a crutch for bullied kids mixed in with the bad parts of nature documentaries and personalized videos of our parents banging and there would still be a huge fanbase.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I don't see the similarities between Deadpool and Blazing Saddles. I've only seen the first movie, but it felt like a standard paint-by-numbers superhero movie with more gross out humor and a lot of winking at the audience. I certainly wouldn't call it a deconstruction and take down of the genre.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Shazam was an interesting exploration of superheroes that other superhero movies hadn't done before, until it became just a bog standard superhero movie in the last part.

e:

CuddleCryptid posted:

The concept of a government issued Gadsden flag is so funny that it almost feels fake

Trust me it's very really and fairly popular!

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#splates/info.asp?idnm=DTOM

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 3, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Watchmen, the comic not the movie, was a takedown of silver era comics. It didn't come across as a movie because comics had already moved on, and we hadn't had the overabundance that we have now.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm maybe not understanding what deconstruction means, but wouldn't The Boys or The Watchmen be closer to that for superheroes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm maybe not understanding what deconstruction means, but wouldn't The Boys or The Watchmen be closer to that for superheroes?

Watchmen, yes, the boys, no. The boys reflects a willfully blind pseudo-criticism that principally reinforces the underlying norms of the medium, with requisite grotesquerie. Part of the problem is that the superhero genre is, at least to our present cultural perception, simultaneously too centralized (in Marvel and DC) and too diverse (in terms of the norms of production and styles) to be vulnerable to the same sort of parody.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 3, 2021