Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FYI since the manga gets posted here every now and then Netflix just announced this:

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1366553846890307584?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nah. Manga is one thing, but we're not doing anime here.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I wouldn't worry, from the look of the trailer there's about as much animation as in the manga anyway.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I wouldn't worry, from the look of the trailer there's about as much animation as in the manga anyway.

Yeah, that was goddamn weird. The original art and its framing are perfect, so I imagine it's rather hard to do something similar or better, but if I were to make an animated adaptation I'm not sure skipping this issue and just use the original art straight up with color, voices, and just adding mouth animations would be a good idea. That's basically a slideshow. Still entertaining, but why not just read the original?

Anyway, funny panels, how convenient that I needed an excuse to post this one from Rocko's Modern Life 005 (2018) which is totally unrelated to the above subject

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 2, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, that was goddamn weird. The original art and its framing are perfect, so I imagine it's rather hard to do something similar or better, but if I were to make an animated adaptation I'm not sure skipping this issue and just use the original art straight up with color, voices, and just adding mouth animations would be a good idea. That's basically a slideshow. Still entertaining, but why not just read the original?

I feel that way about a lot of manga and anime. The paneling and pacing is so intentional and good that I’m not sure how animating it would improve it. There’s works that benefit from being animated, obviously, but there’s stuff that’s basically perfect as they are in manga form.

quote:

Anyway, funny panels, how convenient that I needed an excuse to post this one from Rocko's Modern Life 005 (2018) which is totally unrelated to the above subject

A Rocko cartoon? It will never catch on

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #15 (1942)

Spider-Man Unlimited #6 (1994)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

thetoughestbean posted:

I feel that way about a lot of manga and anime. The paneling and pacing is so intentional and good that I’m not sure how animating it would improve it. There’s works that benefit from being animated, obviously, but there’s stuff that’s basically perfect as they are in manga form.

The really weird thing is that there's already a live-action version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McVsBG7iLaQ

Which is, by all accounts, very good! And it's not like it has any fantastical elements, it's just a silly slice-of-life comedy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Introducing character sensation, the Codpiece

Ain't no one laughing now!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 3, 2021

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Saoshyant posted:

Introducing character sensation, the Codpiece

Ain't no one laughing now!

quote:

Codpiece multi-weapon: The codpiece had a wide variety of functions including use as a cannon, firing missiles, a sonic attack, two retractable boxing gloves, and a variety of tools such as drills and scissors.

MY MEAT DOES THE BEATING HERE!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

thetoughestbean posted:

IIRC one of the reasons anime adaptions get made is to advertise and drive up sales of the corresponding manga. You reach a wider, different audience with a one season adaption of part of the manga and then some of those viewers turn into regular manga buyers.

Its sort of the opposite of modern Western superhero comics where a big factor in making the comics is the potential use of the new stories in the much more profitable TV and film market.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Can we stop the general anime/manga chat?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Can we stop the general anime/manga chat?

Best way to distract from derails is to post something on topic.

don't remember the issue but somewhere early in Bendis' run of Uncanny X-Men, which, given Hickman's run of Avengers was prescient.

Edit: I bet the moon blows up during Hickman's current run of X-Men. Scott's house is there at the moment and how many times has Scott's house blown up? Every time I think?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 3, 2021

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Today's Newspaper Spider-Man strip (which is in re-runs, having ended some time ago) is still one of the funniest.

Context: Spider-Man is working with Ant-Man (Scott Lang) to rescue Hank Pym, who is held captive by a villain. Stuff happens, and the three of them are reduced to ant-sized, with (currently) no way to become bigger again, and they have to fend for themselves, facing various critters, including a menacing spider.

But worry not! Spider-Man has got this!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Today's Runaways (#34). Logan tried to take Molly to Krakoa, it doesn't go well for him.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #71 (1959)

Weird Fantasy #2 (1993)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Skwirl posted:

Best way to distract from derails is to post something on topic.

don't remember the issue but somewhere early in Bendis' run of Uncanny X-Men, which, given Hickman's run of Avengers was prescient.

Edit: I bet the moon blows up during Hickman's current run of X-Men. Scott's house is there at the moment and how many times has Scott's house blown up? Every time I think?

This is a straight-up Nextwave reference.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheCenturion posted:

This is a straight-up Nextwave reference.

It is?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I can't read it as anything but.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

How, what part of it references NEXTwave at all?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Maybe not "reference", but it reads as an homage to Dirk Anger's ranting incoherently while his subordinates look on.

Even the final pose reminds me of this panel.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/JessiSheron/status/1367306635543252994?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A frustrated person put their hands in their head? It's Bendis getting a little silly with SHIELD and Maria Hill, poo poo he's been writing since he loving started at Marvel and Bachalo drawing like he's drawn poo poo since the mid 2000s. I can see similarities and I'm sure both Bendis and Bachalo had read NEXTwave because it's a hilarious book dealing with character they like, but any similarities are either coincidental or subconscious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Death and Return of Superman is actually one of the first comics I owned so I have a very weird nostalgia for mullet Superman, even more now since I haven't gotten a haircut in a year, so my hair is kinda similar to that.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
The Return of Superman trade with the four different Supermans was one of my earliest too. When I read the actual death issues, it was a big letdown, because it was just some monster I'd never heard of before kicking the Justice League's rear end, it didn't seem to have the weight I thought it would based on how much I liked the interweaving stories of the 4 who return.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I read the novelization, which is a weird way to be introduced to the storyline, but it worked.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A Strange Aeon posted:

The Return of Superman trade with the four different Supermans was one of my earliest too. When I read the actual death issues, it was a big letdown, because it was just some monster I'd never heard of before kicking the Justice League's rear end, it didn't seem to have the weight I thought it would based on how much I liked the interweaving stories of the 4 who return.

I grew up in the middle of nowhere so I only got a few comics when we were passing through Albuquerque (Santa Fe was closer and I'm sure they had comic shops, but not near where we were going). Happened to be there at the right time to pick up each of the Supermen's intro comics with the peekaboo cover hiding the character but displaying the shield. I thought that was really cool at the time. Next time I was able to get one it was the one where everything was wrapped up and the bad guy was dropped into a black hole. Fun to imagine that was actually the next issue and it just skipped everything.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dareon posted:

I read the novelization, which is a weird way to be introduced to the storyline, but it worked.

Oh, me too! It was funny because at the time I didn't actually read comics so I thought "wow this is some crazy alternate universe poo poo, DC would never actually kill Superman!"

Oh how naive I was...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

But what is it directly referencing?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Any of Dirk Anger's scenese where he vents his frustration out on the fearless heroes?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess?

It just sounds like a Bendis character to me.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

It doesn't read as a reference to me either.

But I think we can all agree that any excuse to post more Nextwave is a good one!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Uthor posted:

Maybe not "reference", but it reads as an homage to Dirk Anger's ranting incoherently while his subordinates look on.

Even the final pose reminds me of this panel.

Exactly. The way he's constantly ranting about how things 'should' be, while becoming more and more crushed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

Giant-Size Defenders #4 (1975)

Sorry, dude. "All Cops Are Bastards" includes even the LOTR fans.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

Sorry, dude. "All Cops Are Bastards" includes even the LOTR fans.

I love how the cop doesn't know who Hulk is until he says his name. "Oh, you're THAT gigantic green monster-person?"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Splint Chesthair posted:

I love how the cop doesn't know who Hulk is until he says his name. "Oh, you're THAT gigantic green monster-person?"

He couldn't tell because of the trench coat and hat. The universal disguise.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

He couldn't tell because of the trench coat and hat. The universal disguise.

"Sorry, fella, I thought you was one of them ninja turtles!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, I read the Return trade well before I read the death trade, it was on sale at an airport bookstore right before my parents were taking me on a 4 hour flight so they were like "yes, absolutely buy the giant comic book"

Supergirl in that was so loving confusing, as was Lex with hair.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Did that cloned Superman who wore the leather jacket end up doing anything else? I forget what his fate was, but I'm curious if he had a career afterwards in DC continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Did that cloned Superman who wore the leather jacket end up doing anything else? I forget what his fate was, but I'm curious if he had a career afterwards in DC continuity.

Yeah. Superboy joined the Titans and ha been a pretty major thing ever since.