Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

3rd boss spoilers: Finished off Bonemass last night and I can’t stress enough the importance of prepping the battlefield.

I was fortunate to get his spawn visible from the coast, so I built that small palisade with a bonfire and a portal back home.

Next I flattened the ground all the way around the big skull. More palisades between the indestructible trees and spike walls around the perimeter to deter adds.

Last I built the tower on the left on the only hill nearby just to start the fight with some arrowage and to get a feel for what he did.

Made me feel like Arnold in Predator. GOTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The wood is OK, I guess I do use that. The resin is a bit useless, I have chests full of it. The stone was useless until stonecutting but I don't mind it, mostly it's just that the star enemies just drop more basic poo poo rather than better poo poo. There's not really a feel like I really want to fight them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What's the best way to gently caress up skeletons in the crypts? I'm sort of midway through the black forest

1 handed axe?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Infinitum posted:

What's the best way to gently caress up skeletons in the crypts? I'm sort of midway through the black forest

1 handed axe?

You want a club, or mace if you can spare the bronze.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

The wood is OK, I guess I do use that. The resin is a bit useless, I have chests full of it. The stone was useless until stonecutting but I don't mind it, mostly it's just that the star enemies just drop more basic poo poo rather than better poo poo. There's not really a feel like I really want to fight them.

I hoard everything in these games, and I had a full chest of Resin and was wondering when it would pay off

Friend, let me introduce you to your new best friend: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Sconce

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

LegionAreI posted:

No idea if this is true but given some other bugs I wouldn't be surprised.

https://twitter.com/GliitchWiitch/status/1366453794066862085

this lines up with a pretty funny bug i saw and recorded last night. if i remember i’ll post it tomorrow

in a nutshell it had to do with that whole ‘one player is responsible for the game logic in a certain area’ thing where on one screen my friend was stuck on another friends head

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Otacon posted:

I hoard everything in these games, and I had a full chest of Resin and was wondering when it would pay off

Friend, let me introduce you to your new best friend: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Sconce

We keep our bases pretty well lit so resin goes at a fair pace. I'd love something to do with bone fragments. Post Boss 4 I think that's really the only thing that is totally useless for us.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Played for like 2.5 hours just showing my friend the ropes, got him from flint to how to smelt bronze .

Managed to even both die to a troll attack since I wasn't at high health and got ambushed from behind. Shocked we lost, a bunch of stakes got broken but that seemdd to be about it thankfully

One thing he did I haven't seen is mine straight down for copper. What happens if you get stuck with a broken pickaxe? Have to cheat out?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

mastershakeman posted:

What happens if you get stuck with a broken pickaxe? Have to cheat out?

If you have enough stamina, you can just spam jump and get out. Takes a few bars for a max depth trench.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
There is mods out for this game and not a single nude retexture or troll dicks mod?!? I don't believe it.

I typically don't go exploring too much in games like this, I rather stay at a base and take care of it. But god drat is finding a new location and setting up a forward camp so much fun. First swamp on my main island ended up being a tiny sliver with no crypts, but I had an entire mining camp set up in the middle of the black forest ready to pillage that swamp. Found the merchant looking for another swamp, which I found one that is surrounded by plains and the most toxic meadow I have been in. Really should of known something was up with the abandoned village I found..

Its just me and my fiancé playing and we've put about 40 hours into the game and have only beaten the second boss. There is just so much to do and explore, I absolutely love it.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
This game is a fantastic troll sometimes.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Big props to whoever was suggesting to take a “raze the land” approach to the swamps. Even though we’re mostly kitted out with near-max bronze, our group got absolutely smashed in our initial forays. Only a few deaths, but lots of “oh gently caress I’m out of food/gear/health” and running away from things.

It’s a really interesting design decision to make the zone explicitly punish the strategy of “kite it and shoot arrows at it” that absolutely dominates the two preceding biomes. Trying to do this without having prepared the area by cutting trees and hoe’ing our shallow water lead to us having a very bad time. However, once you take the time to clear the trees and swamps, it becomes so much easier to position in and deal with the mobs.

Is there any trick to finding crypts? Like with burial chambers in the Black Forest, you can generally tell they’re around by the presence of skeletons. We have not been able to find one yet, and we’re definitely thirsty for it looking at the sweet iron tech (along with the insanely high resource costs, compared to bronze)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So it turns out you can really cheese the boss fight that is fighting Bonemass.

We got one of our crew to harpoon him and drag him up a slope before he got pinned under a protruding copper deposit, and he just stared up at the harpoon guy doing nothing, while two of us wailed on him with maces from behind. He did his poison attack twice and that was it.

A question for people who are playing solo though: how long do your boss fights last? Ours took like 20+ minutes (which I know because it took three potions) which seems absurd. But that was with him spawned with 8 of us present, but killed with only two of us damaging him some time later.

causticBeet posted:

Is there any trick to finding crypts? Like with burial chambers in the Black Forest, you can generally tell they’re around by the presence of random skeletons. We have not been able to find one yet, and we’re definitely thirsty for it looking at the sweet iron tech (along with the insanely high resource costs, compared to bronze)

They're usually easy to spot, big black buildings, and usually lit up with green torches. And the resource costs aren't terrible, since it converts to ingots at 1:1, instead of 3:1 for bronze.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 2, 2021

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

causticBeet posted:

Big props to whoever was suggesting to take a “raze the land” approach to the swamps. Even though we’re mostly kitted out with near-max bronze, our group got absolutely smashed in our initial forays. Only a few deaths, but lots of “oh gently caress I’m out of food/gear/health” and running away from things.

It’s a really interesting design decision to make the zone explicitly punish the strategy of “kite it and shoot arrows at it” that absolutely dominates the two preceding biomes. Trying to do this without having prepared the area by cutting trees and hoe’ing our shallow water lead to us having a very bad time. However, once you take the time to clear the trees and swamps, it becomes so much easier to position in and deal with the mobs.

Is there any trick to finding crypts? Like with burial chambers in the Black Forest, you can generally tell they’re around by the presence of random skeletons. We have not been able to find one yet, and we’re definitely thirsty for it looking at the sweet iron tech (along with the insanely high resource costs, compared to bronze)

Look for two green torches and a small structure for crypts.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I sailed my boat to the south pole to see if it's a cool and good place it isn't

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Taffer posted:

Goblins do too (or "fulings" but lol i can never get it right and always call them furlings, thanks stargate)

Oh thank god, I'm not the only one that calls them Furlings.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I did it. I built a boat and sailed for an area I wanted to set up my new home base in, which is itself a forward base of sorts for now. Sailing actually felt good and I wasn't accosted by sea things like I thought I would be. Though way slower than I thought, too.

I used a map reveal site and I'm glad I did, as my starting island, while neat, suuuucked as far as swamps go. So I found a much better spot. I'd have probably been really frustrated had I tried navigating the two swamps near me. I'm about ready for boss 2 so I can head into said swamps.

For now though, I'm digging out trenches behind me and have ideas for rolling tiers in front of me. Right out of the gate I wish flattening land were better/easier. For trenches is one square wide enough? It's as deep as the game will let me go.

But also, just the general sense of progression is fun. My first troll I was practically making GBS threads my pants kiting and half panicked. Today I strolled into a troll's cave and parried that dumb, blue bastard into oblivion. My new base is a meadow away from a village where Draugr were spawned, so I'm hopeful they will respawn for more sausage casings. But I also nabbed 3 more queen bees raiding that village and now I've got 5 hives buzzing away making hella honey.

The game is just a series of cascading successes and brutal failures and I'm enjoying it more than I usually do in these types of games.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Infinitum posted:

1 handed axe?

I used the Stagbreaker and later iterations of that weapon type. The AoE slam goes through closed doors and walls allowing for a fine cheese to form.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Are you tired of the swamp being a thing? Craft a Frostner and then you're one step closer to making all of the swamp things never be things again.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Floppychop posted:

Oh thank god, I'm not the only one that calls them Furlings.

You know, I've been wondering to myself as to why I was always calling them Furlings, in my mind. Yep, because Stargate had imprinted the word deeply within my mind. Can't wait until they bring out the Asardians, so that I can call them Asgardians by force of habit! :v:

Woden
May 6, 2006
Playing around on a creative seed for build ideas, placement is ugly but it's just a proof of concept.

You can hide the crafting upgrade(except bellows) in the corners that would otherwise be dead space, or just cover them up with stone blocks so you never have to see them.

Floppychop posted:

Getting real sick of greydwarves beating the poo poo out of my boat while I'm putting around with my farm. My dock shore has a pretty wicked dropoff so now my iron nails are about 50m down.

Time to start disassembling stuff with iron on it so scrounge enough nails for an iron run.

AFAIK you get all the materials back when breaking stuff. My ship now sit in a box next to the dock because it kept getting broken by waves or mobs, if you sail out to a new island you can just teleport it back and forth that way too which is nice.

Next build I think I'll go for a smelter drop off point instead of a useless boat shed.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Woden posted:

Playing around on a creative seed for build ideas, placement is ugly but it's just a proof of concept.

Strong Matrix construct energy. "Bars. Lots of bars."

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do like how modders have already come up with nice common sense improvements, such as crafting tables pulling resources from nearby chests, crafting tables radius improving with level of the table, automatically replanting crops you harvest and this nice looking one that adds a equipped inventory that would fix my annoyance at a ever-shrinking inventory as you get more stuff to wear.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Taffer posted:

The stat loss is tiny, its 5% I think? You'll regain that it just a few minutes of activity, and the game even has grace periods to prevent total stat nosedive from repeated deaths on a corpse run. It's only a big punishment if you are near max level, in which case you already have all the tools and knowledge to not die a lot.

The skill loss feels fairly significant to me. It's 5%, but skill gain is also really slow after some point? I haven't been keeping track very precisely, but a while of progressing through the game and maybe dying once or twice per night, none of my skills were really above 30. Then after getting all the endgame gear and just chilling out for another week and farming plains stuff or whatever and basically not dying, I'm at a whopping 35 spears, 36 bows. So it feels like the skill loss forces fairly careful play if you want number to go up, and you're always only a few deaths away from losing days or weeks of progress. Losing a bunch of skills feels punishing but it's also not like it really locks you out of anything, so I don't see it causing people to ragequit either.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do like how modders have already come up with nice common sense improvements, such as crafting tables pulling resources from nearby chests, crafting tables radius improving with level of the table, automatically replanting crops you harvest and this nice looking one that adds a equipped inventory that would fix my annoyance at a ever-shrinking inventory as you get more stuff to wear.

Any experience using the dedicated equipment slots mod in a dedicated server with other players that don't use mods? I want to use it but I think it may be a bit beyond the pale for the convenience mods I use.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Any experience using the dedicated equipment slots mod in a dedicated server with other players that don't use mods? I want to use it but I think it may be a bit beyond the pale for the convenience mods I use.

I think the majority of these mods are fully client side. I've played around with one adding another row of inventory slots, with other players who don't use it. No issues at all and no troubles adding or remove it and other mods between sessions.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Using iron wood as a structural base for stone buildings is so satisfying. I built a bridge with space for my longboat.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

some patch notes, mostly dedicated server stuff

quote:

Good day Valheimers!
Todays patch has some huge changes to dedicated servers. Dedicated servers now always use direct connections instead of using Steam Datagram Relay (SDR). This should result in much lower latency for most players. Private dedicated servers are enabled by adding "-public 0" to the server command line (See server manual PDF). You can only connect to private dedicated servers using the "Join IP"-button. I really hope this patch solves a lot of connection issues introduced in last weeks patches ( due to switching socket backend ). In addition to these dedicated-server fixes valve are also working on fixes to the SDR system (used when connecting to non-dedicated servers) and i believe there is already a beta-steam-client available that fixes some of these issues. Thanks everyone!!

* Localization updates
* Made Haldor head-turn smoother
* Object network interpolation is skipped if object was far away, solved issue with network players flying through the air when entering dungeons & exiting portals etc
* Added -public 1/0 flag to dedicated server again, Allows players to host local lan only servers
* Join IP-button updated to allow for lan-connections (dedicated servers only) & added DNS support
* Dedicated servers use directIP connection instead of SDR, solves issues with slow steam relays in some areas of the world
* Bonemass puke-effect network fix
* Updated Dedicated-server PDF manual
* Prevent pickup items when entering portals
* Lowered wolf procreation slightly
* Lowered chance of boss trophy talking

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

All I know in life is how to pour whiskey and run my mouth off
Dinosaur Gum

haldolium posted:

* Lowered chance of boss trophy talking

Yes, please! I love you Mr Raindeer but you do talk an awful lot about how small I am.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Martin posted:

Yes, please! I love you Mr Raindeer but you do talk an awful lot about how small I am.

I wish they'd raise the chance of the other ones talking

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Do boss head 3 through 5 ever say anything? Only ever heard the first two talk.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

We have boss 3 living above our brewery and he never says poo poo.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Imo they shouldn't lower the boss smacktalk frequency, just add a shitload more lines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish there was a telescope or something that you could use to reveal more of the map.

Honestly some sort of gameplay thing based around mapping would probably fit well.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Joke option: Steal the triangulating mechanic from Miasmata, place stone heads or something everywhere as markers to tag from two different angles to reveal the map area around them. But yeah, would probably not work as it would require the draw distance to be a bit farther than it currently is :v:

Been having some fun with this game, even if my friends are either not interested or prefer playing alone so I have been dealing with things solo so far. Neatest geographical thing I found so far has been a small river that goes through some kind of canyon, just big enough to comfortably fit a boat through. Has a certain cinematicness to be slowly paddle through while being wedged between two steep cliffs, only to have it open up into a decently sized lake in the middle of a Black Forest biome. Halfway tempted to make a little shack there, though it is still a bit close to my current base and I was figuring that I should probs make an outpost further out where it might actually be useful. Maybe later as a vanity project

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I wish there was a telescope or something that you could use to reveal more of the map.

Honestly some sort of gameplay thing based around mapping would probably fit well.

Telescope + building a specific lookout tower would be rad. I like the mapping a lot, but I'd like it if crypts/things were automatically marked upon discovery and you could then either delete them or X them or whatever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm psyching myself out and keep wanting to restart, which is something that always happens to me with survival and crafting games.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I've just started getting iron. Any recommendations on which pieces to first upgrade to?

Also, my first swamp only seems to have 3 crypts. Is that enough or should I keep scouting for a more plentiful swamp?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Are these mods easy to install and run? Do they require the server to have them running or are they client side? A little info on these would be really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Doh004 posted:

I've just started getting iron. Any recommendations on which pieces to first upgrade to?

Also, my first swamp only seems to have 3 crypts. Is that enough or should I keep scouting for a more plentiful swamp?

I'd keep looking. My latest has about 9 and I've seen others with more. For upgrades, I'd recommend the shield over everything, then probably the mace.