Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Every time I see it, even more than the stupid-rear end names and dumb concept the typesetting on that Bastille menu drives me nuts. The "$ 1 8 ." expanded underneath "PEACEMAKER" vs. the "$18." centered below "CHICKEN SAUVE" which aren't even of equal length ah gently caress I hate it so much!!!!

GUYS! COME QUICK! I FOUND THE SON OF A BITCH WHO INVENTED THE BASTILLE MENU!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Every time I see it, even more than the stupid-rear end names and dumb concept the typesetting on that Bastille menu drives me nuts. The "$ 1 8 ." expanded underneath "PEACEMAKER" vs. the "$18." centered below "CHICKEN SAUVE" which aren't even of equal length ah gently caress I hate it so much!!!!

GUYS! COME QUICK! I FOUND THE SON OF A BITCH WHO INVENTED THE BASTILLE MENU!

I've been joking about it for years and it was only today that I saw the snails on the menu due to the poo poo typesetting.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cafe Gratitude was pretty ok to eat at actually, you just have to go in prepared to lol at their attitude in general. Too bad about the Est thing though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

withak posted:

Cafe Gratitude was pretty ok to eat at actually, you just have to go in prepared to lol at their attitude in general. Too bad about the Est thing though.

not surprising, the food descriptions sound pretty alright even if the price's a little iffy

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Lmao, the "Mexican" bowl is called "Mucho". They even got that Fiesta Max attitude

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

I've been joking about it for years and it was only today that I saw the snails on the menu due to the poo poo typesetting.

Yeah somehow I only just noticed

pre:
A                             CHEESE

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://www.vice.com/en/article/gqw3ny/reasons-why-los-angeles-is-the-worst-place-ever

quote:

This is the menu at a place called Cafe Gratitude. All of their dishes have "positive affirmations" rather than "names," so when you order you're supposed to be like "I am beautiful" to the waiter, and then the waiter will look at you all sincere and go "you ARE beautiful!" *shudder*

When I've told friends from back home about Cafe Gratitude they've been like, "ew, are you loving kidding me? That place sounds like the worst thing ever," but here, people are all "I don't see what your problem is, dude. Try not being so negative all the time."
California.

Is there a story behind that Bastille menu that I can read?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Halloween Jack posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/gqw3ny/reasons-why-los-angeles-is-the-worst-place-ever

California.

The original tweet is on archive.org but there's not much there except that the restaurant was the Roebling Tea Room in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190108141632/https:/twitter.com/Star_Anise_H/status/1082420899658240000

It looks like they did a Bastille Day special menu each year?

https://twitter.com/ROEBLINGTEAROOM/status/489556482904449025?s=19

Until I looked into this I genuinely thought the name of the restaurant was Bastille. Also when it was first reposted I could not remember if it was real or from Achewood

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Someday I would love to learn what about half of the things on that menu are. Like I think Eggs Mayonnaise with Russian Mayo is a deviled eggs thing, since some people think Russians have better mayo. But googling Chicken Suave turns up just nothing.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

chicken suave is such a rich pump for the imagination it would overload google were it introduced to google

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there's probably a prototype cart of a 90's mascot platformer sitting in a desk in an abandoned office building in los gatos called chicken suave

when you reproduce by virtue of being the only one cowardly enough to have avoided the last catastrophe, that's chicken suave

a chicken suave is burger king internal ordering code for an original chicken sandwich with bacon and onion rings and a side of barbque sauce

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Bit creepier than that, sadly. They strongly encourage their employees to attend seminars for "Landmark Education" which is a rebrand of EST. If you refuse, or speak critically about Landmark, they show you the door.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2004/08/i-thought-i-respected-robert-i-guess-i.html

quote:

There was not a good humor about any of this; these dismantled crotches were genuinely indignant over the issue of 18" of tape.
Pat's blogs are the best thing ever written in the English language.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The Voice of Labor posted:

chicken suave is such a rich pump for the imagination it would overload google were it introduced to google

https://twitter.com/ROEBLINGTEAROOM/status/218904755412545536?s=19
https://twitter.com/ROEBLINGTEAROOM/status/218916307259760641?s=19
https://twitter.com/ROEBLINGTEAROOM/status/219186517539684352?s=19

The more I learn the more questions I have

Edit
https://twitter.com/ROEBLINGTEAROOM/status/219916044574265347?s=19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Do they at least give out Fiesta names to the diners? And rapidly tap their gathered menus into place on the table with a little smile before going out back and having a little cry?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Halloween Jack posted:

California.

This is a California thing?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
In case anyone wasn't sure, the Roebling Tea Room bastille day menu is supposed to be ridiculous and funny.

Suave sauce originated as an autocorrect mistake; I think it was buffalo sauce with clamato.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

There’s a Cafe Gratitude in Kansas City. Exact same restaurant with the menu name gimmick and all. It’s been in business here for something like eight or nine years. Even the Midwest is not immune to this nonsense.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

This is a California thing?
As a californian I think it's more of an LA thing. Although I don't go to fancy restraunts in general, what am I, made of money

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Café Gratitude also has loose ties to the remaining members of the Source Family, a now defunct cult. The Source Family had its own (very popular) LA restaurant back in the 70s, where cult members would work for free, and Café Gratitude held a pop-up event in 2019 "honouring" that restaurant where they served a variation on its menu and hosted former Source Family members as keynote speakers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I used a paraphrase of "street thinkers call it 'tight math'" the other day and now I can't stop doing it, help

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Android Blues posted:

Café Gratitude also has loose ties to the remaining members of the Source Family, a now defunct cult. The Source Family had its own (very popular) LA restaurant back in the 70s, where cult members would work for free, and Café Gratitude held a pop-up event in 2019 "honouring" that restaurant where they served a variation on its menu and hosted former Source Family members as keynote speakers.

Wanderer posted:

I used a paraphrase of "street thinkers call it 'tight math'" the other day and now I can't stop doing it, help

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Android Blues posted:

The Source Family is fascinating from what little I've heard.

They had a messiah who took drugs and figured out he wasn't god.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

The Source Family is fascinating from what little I've heard.

They had a messiah who took drugs and figured out he wasn't god.
Is that the one who died in a hang-gliding accident or was that another LA cult?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Is that the one who died in a hang-gliding accident or was that another LA cult?

That's the guy. Father Yod says the google machine.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Man it's not possible to have multiple spaces in a row in your username, is it? Cause I would just love to become "CITY TOAST" but if I can't get like 10 spaces in there, there's no point.
fake edit: you can't even do it in a post. Why the gently caress would that be. Do extra spaces take up valuable bandwidth?

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Diet Poison posted:

Man it's not possible to have multiple spaces in a row in your username, is it? Cause I would just love to become "CITY TOAST" but if I can't get like 10 spaces in there, there's no point.
fake edit: you can't even do it in a post. Why the gently caress would that be. Do extra spaces take up valuable bandwidth?

Looks like it removes normal spaces, but not the various Unicode space characters.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

That's just how web browsers render poo poo. The double-space after a period your keyboarding teacher laboriously beat into your head? Browser doesn't give a poo poo.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The PYF Funny Pictures thread has turned up this incredibly Ray series of matchboxes.

ultrafilter posted:

This is part of a collection by Ravi Zupa. Here's more of it (but not everything):

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I want to frame these and hang them on my wall. A perfect series of words and images.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The PYF Funny Pictures thread has turned up this incredibly Ray series of matchboxes.

I felt inspired

Dang Ray don't tuck that money under your eyelids!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Angry_Ed posted:

I felt inspired

loving :lol:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Strange Cares posted:

I want to frame these and hang them on my wall. A perfect series of words and images.

Good news!

Angry_Ed posted:

I felt inspired

These are all perfect avatars

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Good news!

These are all perfect avatars

They sure are.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

The practical cat gives his impractical friend advice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Angry_Ed posted:

I felt inspired

Oh my God :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One more, the rest of the ideas I had involved Pat or Roast Beef for the most part and I wanted to stick with the idea of these matchbooks being very Ray-esque for now