Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

come out ye black and pontans

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I like RTS and don't want to see it switched off, they should make another supreme commander IMO.

I strongly agree. Or go the whole hog and take the Total Annihilation name complete with original soundtrack.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Latest news from hell island, holiday camp Pontins have been refusing to take bookings from anyone with an Irish surname in order to keep travellers out of their parks

https://twitter.com/ChrisGreenNews/status/1366666915087794177

And seriously the list is just Irish surnames.txt

https://twitter.com/ChrisGreenNews/status/1366667444497113088

That is literally 9/10ths of my home town.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

come out ye black and pontans

little bible times dug hehe

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonna be honest Pontins sounds like a place I would never want to visit so I'm glad that I am never ever going to go there due to them being Big Racists.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The fact that the front gate looks very similar to our local barracks makes me wonder how well a chain of army resorts would do, where you and your gammon family get to pretend you are in the army, get screamed awake at 6am and then are dragged through a day of training.

I am genuinely surprised this is not a thing, and no, I refuse to do even a cursory google.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The fact that the front gate looks very similar to our local barracks makes me wonder how well a chain of army resorts would do, where you and your gammon family get to pretend you are in the army, get screamed awake at 6am and then are dragged through a day of training.

I am genuinely surprised this is not a thing, and no, I refuse to do even a cursory google.

I think most of the people who enjoy the idea of other people having things like that happen to them would baulk at the idea that they need to wake up early.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Josef bugman posted:

I think most of the people who enjoy the idea of other people having things like that happen to them would baulk at the idea that they need to wake up early.
"National service didn't do me any harm [because I was born in 1952]"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I think people would rather watch SAS: Britain's Hardest Family or whatever, and eat crisps while Danny Dyer calls someone a mug for being hospitalized with trenchfoot

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I think you're describing military school

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I think people would rather watch SAS: Britain's Hardest Family or whatever, and eat crisps while Danny Dyer calls someone a mug for being hospitalized with trenchfoot

channel 4 just shitcanned their SAS host for calling blm scum so he's free if pontins are keen

also the articles add that the contact centre was monitering calls with the explicit purpose of banning anyone with an irish accent. It is absolutely and obviously a blanket ban against all Irish people and they've got zero chance of ducking any indirect discrimination cases coming their way.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I suppose you're right, probably the reason flaghumpers love Are Brave Boys so much is because they want extrajudicial killings done on brown people without having to actually do anything themselves.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The fact that the front gate looks very similar to our local barracks

Aren't a number of British Holiday camps literally just barracks that were sold off in the 50s and 60s or have I made that up?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In other news:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1366191901196644354?s=19

Watch Kieth flail about not knowing who to copy now.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In other news:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1366191901196644354?s=19

Watch Kieth flail about not knowing who to copy now.

That's a lot of mistakes for someone obviously reading off of a teleprompter. Seems odd to publish it like that.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's funny how ineffectual the Labour shadow government is even when "holding the government to account".

This was in the story about the Brazilian covid case:

quote:

Labour's shadow health secretary Jonathan Ashworth [...]

He asked: "How on earth can a test be processed that doesn't collect the contact details and what mechanisms will be put in place to fix this in the future?"

So, uhh, does he want to just ban people from getting tested anonymously and/or throw those tests out (in which case we'd have no idea that there was even a Brazilian case in the first place) or does he want to make spooks find the people who took them or what?

e: Note that this was based on a regular test, not a border quarantine test or anything where you could reasonably enforce compliance.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 2, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Rumda posted:

Na he gave me an eviction notice at the beginning of February to be out in 6 months

Doesn't matter, that's not an eviction notice as only a judge can order an eviction, it's a notice that they will begin court proceedings to evict you. There's currently a massive backlog so it's likely to take years to get to you. It might even be that eviction proceedings are currently on hold due to Covid, I can't remember if that's the case. Finally, there's a very strict set of rules the landlord must follow, and even a small error will make their notice void.

E: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/section_21_eviction/section_21_eviction_process

The 6 month thing tallies but that's not when you are required to leave, that's the first date at which they can apply to a court to begin proceedings.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheRat posted:

That's a lot of mistakes for someone obviously reading off of a teleprompter. Seems odd to publish it like that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/piscisvir/status/1366748479452815362

yikes

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TheRat posted:

Maybe it's less "You should join a union somewhat" and more 'He's still alive, honest."

(Video credits may contain Henson studios employees)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JoylessJester posted:

Aren't a number of British Holiday camps literally just barracks that were sold off in the 50s and 60s or have I made that up?

It's even better than that, they're WW2 POW camps. Billy Butlin had his camps commandeered at the start of the war to use as training and mustering centres (the not-camp at Bognor was allowed to stay open as an amusement park because even in war people need the occasional knobbly knees contest).

Being a smart guy, he offered to build the War Office a load more camps if they let him buy them back at a discount after the war was over, but they said they didn't need any more - but they did (or rather would) need some POW camps, which he gladly built for them. This why most Butlins are in traditional seaside resorts but 2 of them are in the arse-end of nowhere (Pwllheli in Wales and Ayr in Scotland - Filey was also built and used this way but the plan was always to build an actual proper resort around it, but at the time it was just a tiny fishing village).

e: Huh, the story I was told as a kid staying at Pwllheli was in fact slightly inaccurate, it was also used as a training camp, but by the Navy rather than the Army. How many lies are still waiting in my memory to be exposed?

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 2, 2021

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Ayr is next to a major international airport and the major air corridor for transatlantic flights so it wasn’t in the arse end of the arse end of nowhere.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Private Speech posted:

It's funny how ineffectual the Labour shadow government is even when "holding the government to account".

This was in the story about the Brazilian covid case:

So, uhh, does he want to just ban people from getting tested anonymously and/or throw those tests out (in which case we'd have no idea that there was even a Brazilian case in the first place) or does he want to make spooks find the people who took them or what?

e: Note that this was based on a regular test, not a border quarantine test or anything where you could reasonably enforce compliance.

Poor Jon has bigger worries, what with his wife owing ~£120,000 in legal fees now

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Poor Jon has bigger worries, what with his wife owing ~£120,000 in legal fees now

She has to pay Unite's fees too so it's more like 200k

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

Ayr is next to a major international airport and the major air corridor for transatlantic flights so it wasn’t in the arse end of the arse end of nowhere.

The amount of people taking transatlantic flights to Ayr in 1940 was pretty minimal, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well obviously, the butlins wasn't well enough established yet, why would you bother?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The only time I've been in a Pontins was back when ATP used to rent out the Camber Sands site for their festivals

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

https://twitter.com/DavidPaisley/status/1366739606125899784

what an a-grade oval office

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
WW2 holiday camp chat:

My dad, his brothers and my nan on dad's side were evacuated at some point from Coventry to Bude and IIRC it was to a 'repurposed' holiday camp for families of serving soldiers.

My nan spoke and dressed well so the officers' wives accepted her as one of them until the day my grandad came home on leave in his sergeant's stripes and they blanked her after that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kustomkarkommando posted:

The only time I've been in a Pontins was back when ATP used to rent out the Camber Sands site for their festivals

Don't think there are any Pontins in Ireland here, but we had a Butlins that turned into 'Mosney'

https://www.worldabandoned.com/mosney

It used to host the finals of Ireland's Community Games, been to it once.
It was loving amazing there as a kid.

But it now looks like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ5MlHg5y2s
Doesn't look as magical as it was.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

WW2 holiday camp chat:

My dad, his brothers and my nan on dad's side were evacuated at some point from Coventry to Bude and IIRC it was to a 'repurposed' holiday camp for families of serving soldiers.

My nan spoke and dressed well so the officers' wives accepted her as one of them until the day my grandad came home on leave in his sergeant's stripes and they blanked her after that.

Military wives never change

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You really think the entire British media would do that?
Just bring someone on to tell bigoted lies?

Seriously though I hope this blows up more than anything like this has any likelihood of doing. Spread it wide.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Don't think there are any Pontins in Ireland here, but we had a Butlins that turned into 'Mosney'

I thought they were housing refugees at Mosney. I suppose that's not incompatible with it being a wreck given the state of lodgings given to people in "direct provision" in general.

Mosney was fun though, I remember they had a yellow spinny ride that only kept you in via centrifugal force. Was great craic with early 00s stupid baggy jeans.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Oh no my names on the Pontins List whatever will I do

Spangly A posted:

also the articles add that the contact centre was monitering calls with the explicit purpose of banning anyone with an irish accent. It is absolutely and obviously a blanket ban against all Irish people and they've got zero chance of ducking any indirect discrimination cases coming their way.

quote:

So if a person had an Irish accent and was calling from Ireland, then strangely that was ok

Not everyone with an Irish accent, everyone with an Irish accent who lives in the UK. I don't know if that's better or worse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah speeding up that reunification drive.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

happyhippy posted:

I was on a nostalgia trip recently watching old Mosney tv ads. I grew up a few stops away on the train so my early teenage years were about saving up enough for a day at Mosney with my mates and late teenage years it seemed like everyone I knew got a summer job there (except me). Then it closed and turned into an asylum centre just after I finished secondary. Now an entire generation has grown up and probably wouldn't know what Mosney was if I mentioned it. An important cultural touchstone lost like tears in an overcrowded and not terribly clean holiday park swimming pool.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PeterAdamSmith/status/1366819265224048642?s=19

Lmao

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Trust the Tories to gently caress up a sure thing. Now the story goes from "Sturgeon almost certainly misled parliament" to "idiot Tories try to collapse government 2 months before election during a pandemic".

Literally all they had to do was nothing and there would have been better chance of her resigning outright (there's still a non-zero chance she does).

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The Westminster SNPs should submit a motion of no confidence in Matt Hancock, just really drag everyone into the mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Tories ahead outside the margin of error on all the polls at the moment it seems.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1366825587214589953?s=21