Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Shine posted:

I'll add that this varies by state. In Georgia, for example, underinsured motorists can work on either an "add-on" basis, where it adds your UIM limit on top of whatever liability limit the at-fault party has; or UIM may work on a "reduced by" basis, meaning it only covers the difference between the other person's liability limit and your UIM limit. So if, for example, the at-fault party has $25,000 of BI and the not-at-fault party has $100,000 UIM, then the maximum UIM payout would be $75,000, which is the "gap" between the $100K UIM and the at-fault party's $25K BI.

An example showing how big a deal this can be:

- At-fault person (AF) has 50/100 bodily injury (BI).
- Not-at-fault person (NAF) has 100/300 underinsured motorists (UIM).

AF injuries NAF in an accident. NAF has $150,000 of medical bills from the accident.
AF's BI pays its per-person limit of $50,000, leaving NAF with $100,000 to address.

If NAF has "add-on" UIM: NAF will receive $100,000 from UIM, because their UIM works on top of AF's BI limit. They're fully covered.
If NAF has "reduced by" UIM: NAF will receive $50,000 from UIM, as that is the "gap" between AF's $50K BI and NAF's $100K UIM. They'll need to sort out the $50,000 some other way.

People should contact their insurers and ask if they offer any sort of "stacking" or "add-on" UM/UIM coverage. It's often skipped as a way to save premium, with customers not understanding what it is or how it works (unless they have a good agent).

Yeah this is all true. States define UM differently and a lot of it is statutory. California for example has a strict definition. UM is intended to bridge the gap between a tortfeasor’s insurance and yours. So if you have $50k UM and the tortfeasor has $50k liability, well then by definition the tortfeasor is not uninsured/underinsured and you get nothing from UM. Also CA requires arbitration of UM disputes.

Louisiana’s stated UM public policy, however, is “full compensation for innocent tort victims.” So UM is “first dollar,” meaning you take the underlying limit and add UM to it (whether or not the underlying limit is paid). This is statutory and can only be waived under strict specific terms.

But stacking is something else—some states let you stack UM coverage from multiple vehicles. In other words, if you have two cars insured under your policy, and a $100k UM limit, you actually have $200k available UM—$100k for each car. Alabama and Florida permit stacking for example. This may or may not require additional premium so check your policy.

Louisiana only permits stacking of two policies, and only when you are riding in someone else’s vehicle (you get their UM limit, then your single limit stacked on top of that).

Also some states allow you to decline UM entirely, or to accept “economic only” UM (meaning no pain and suffering compensation). So always check the policy closely.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Yeah, to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that "stacking" is a synonym for Georgia's add-on coverage (though you'll sometimes hear it erroneously called that). I meant it more as a general statement that people should talk to their insurer about whatever UM/UIM options their company/state offers, so they don't miss out on add-on, stacking, conversion, or whatever else. Thanks for adding some stacking examples for the thread :)

It's prudent to ask your insurer to explain any term you don't understand on the declaration, in general. Like, if you live in PA, then you should learn the difference between Full and Limited tort. Most folks just pick Limited because it's cheaper than Full, and many do so without understanding what it means. If you're going to reject some weird term that costs money, at least know what it is before you reject it, so that you're making an informed decision.

Shine fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 2, 2021

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

pentyne posted:

Driving past the faberge egg store on my way to work is my way of living dangerously.

$10k isn't "faberge egg" territory it's "almost any collision that involves an airbag popping will blow right past your limits" territory.

Most state minimum coverage limits were set when a top-of-the-line luxury car was maybe $15-20k, and dents could be handled by some guy with a hammer, a tin of lead, and only a little bit of brain damage.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You should always have full tort in pa

This is legal advice I am your lawyer

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
10k in property damage will not cover a total loss to many vehicles less than 3-4 years old if you’re at fault.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

$10k won't even cover a section of guardrail that you hit in a single-car accident. You should really make sure you don't run into a traffic signal controller box. Those are over $100k.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I just assumed the fact that he drives a 2003 Kia meant he was judgment proof and therefore wasn’t worried about other people’s property damage.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 2, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

I just assumed the fact that he drives a 2003 Kia meant he was judgment proof and therefore wasn’t worried about other people’s property damage.

Judging people's wealth by what they drive: truly a "I make 6 figures!!!! (and by 6 figures I mean $102,000 a year and lease a 3 series)" move.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The alternative is that he’s incredibly loving stupid so tbh I feel like I was making the most kind interpretation of the facts at hand.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

euphronius posted:

You should always have full tort in pa

This is legal advice I am your lawyer

I’m not a lawyer but here’s better advice: don’t live in PA

hth

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

10k in property damage will not cover a total loss to many vehicles less than 3-4 years old if you’re at fault.

He drives a 2003 Kia he's judgment proof mate

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Motronic posted:

Judging people's wealth by what they drive: truly a "I make 6 figures!!!! (and by 6 figures I mean $102,000 a year and lease a 3 series)" move.

Legal questions thread: Jokes are difficult for me

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

This thread made me check my property damage limits. It was 50k but I upped it to 100k, which cost all of 4 bucks. Thank you paranoid legal goons.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

null_pointer posted:

This thread made me check my property damage limits. It was 50k but I upped it to 100k, which cost all of 4 bucks. Thank you paranoid legal goons.

Now watch this guy get in a wreck for 150k.

Norway practices universal coverage, so even uninsured illegal drivers are covered for all damages they cause by a state insurance fund.

Driving without insurance is illegal obviously. Guess what the damage limits are in Norway. Go on, guess!

Personal injury: unlimited by law. Damages: normally about 1 million USD for a basic person vehicle insurance. This is baseline.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Now watch this guy get in a wreck for 150k.

Norway practices universal coverage, so even uninsured illegal drivers are covered for all damages they cause by a state insurance fund.

Driving without insurance is illegal obviously. Guess what the damage limits are in Norway. Go on, guess!

Personal injury: unlimited by law. Damages: normally about 1 million USD for a basic person vehicle insurance. This is baseline.

If you keep making norway sound so great, people are going to move there!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

null_pointer posted:

Yeah, made me realize I hadn't increased my coverage limits since my marriage.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

null_pointer posted:

The accident I was recently in the guys property coverage wouldn’t even cover my truck let alone the 4 other vehicles he damaged so this is a wise maneuver on your part imo. 100k woulda been enough I think, and it was a seriously horrible accident like basically as bad as you can get without killing someone.

10k wouldn’t have even covered my camera equipment that was damaged/destroyed in the accident.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

null_pointer posted:

Going from 10k to 100k was $22. Guess there's no reason to go for the absolute cheapest when the 6mo cost increase is literally a weeks worth of gas or less.

Honestly, spending 5 mins checking really made me question anyone dumb enough to carry the rock bottom cheapest insurance for their car, much less a car worth more then a few thousand dollars. Guessing insurance companies make a ton of off it just cutting checks for those bare minimum policies and not having to fight or spend time paying lawyers to argue with the other side.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
make sure you have UIM (uninsured imaginary monster) insurance, don't want to get caught at the mercy of a Kushtaka without knowing if its friendly or fiendly or you're being chased by a Vrykolakas with an onion and frying pan

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

The accident I was recently in the guys property coverage wouldn’t even cover my truck let alone the 4 other vehicles he damaged so this is a wise maneuver on your part imo. 100k woulda been enough I think, and it was a seriously horrible accident like basically as bad as you can get without killing someone.

10k wouldn’t have even covered my camera equipment that was damaged/destroyed in the accident.

Yeah, 100K is a good baseline for property damage liability. A multi-car accident can easily blow past 50K. Hell, totaling a lot of single vehicles (recent model year high end trims, luxury models, trucks, etc.) can exceed 25K easily. 10K is straight up "please sue me" territory. California's PD minimum is only 5K, so it's all good if you total someone's old-enough-to-vote Corolla, I guess.

Generally 250/500/100 is about as high as you'd set your auto liability limits, at which point you can add an umbrella liability policy for fairly low cost. Some companies require different minimum underlying auto limits, such as 100/300 for the BI, or 50K for the PD, so check with your specific carrier. Though if you want to have higher UM/UIM than 250/500, then you can set the auto limits higher. Some companies can add excess UM/UIM to an umbrella policy, which may be cheaper than cranking up the limit on the auto policy.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
This happened in Massachusetts:

- My friend was struck passing through a 4 way stop by a stolen vehicle fleeing police
- The thieves were not caught, and the stolen vehicle has fake plates and VIN
- The original owner of the car cannot be identified
- My friend's insurance, commerce, isn't covering it because he didn't purchase collision coverage

Is there anything he can do? Surely there's got to be an exemption or something if you're involved in an active crime scene? The dude just barely escaped homelessness and was just getting back on his feet again, there's got to be something we can do, right? :(

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
This is actually a great time for that question to hit the thread

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Shine posted:

Yeah, 100K is a good baseline for property damage liability. A multi-car accident can easily blow past 50K. Hell, totaling a lot of single vehicles (recent model year high end trims, luxury models, trucks, etc.) can exceed 25K easily. 10K is straight up "please sue me" territory. California's PD minimum is only 5K, so it's all good if you total someone's old-enough-to-vote Corolla, I guess.

Generally 250/500/100 is about as high as you'd set your auto liability limits, at which point you can add an umbrella liability policy for fairly low cost. Some companies require different minimum underlying auto limits, such as 100/300 for the BI, or 50K for the PD, so check with your specific carrier. Though if you want to have higher UM/UIM than 250/500, then you can set the auto limits higher. Some companies can add excess UM/UIM to an umbrella policy, which may be cheaper than cranking up the limit on the auto policy.

When we added an Umbrella policy to our home/auto, we had to up our coverage a little bit, but the total cost increase to increase the coverage and add $500k umbrella was only like $150/yr in premiums as I recall.

And then when we asked about going from $500k to $1M umbrella, the premium cost actually went down. Sometimes the models underlying the premiums do stupid things.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

- My friend was struck passing through a 4 way stop by a stolen vehicle fleeing police
- My friend's insurance, commerce, isn't covering it because he didn't purchase collision coverage

Is there anything he can do? Surely there's got to be an exemption or something if you're involved in an active crime scene? The dude just barely escaped homelessness and was just getting back on his feet again, there's got to be something we can do, right? :(

The authorities may have some sort of victim fund or something, but the law can't order someone to pay him money for damages they caused him if the law doesn't know who to order.

Often times prosecution and plea deals will include restitution as part of the plea deal, but again - no identity, no one to order to resitute.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Maybe there is a lawsuit against the police if they failed to follow procedure, IDK?

He needs to chat with a local personal injury attorney, probably.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Nothing he can do in terms of insurance. I’m assuming if he has no collision he also has no UM. Collision/UM is what would have stepped into exactly this circumstance, and unfortunately is the only thing I can think of that might have helped.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nothing he can do in terms of insurance. I’m assuming if he has no collision he also has no UM. Collision/UM is what would have stepped into exactly this circumstance, and unfortunately is the only thing I can think of that might have helped.

Yeah, MA has a "limited collision" option (coverage for damage if you are <50% at fault and the other vehicle is identified) which is basically their version of UMPD, so you'd need at least that to have a shot at covering this. I can't speak for legal recourse, but taking the insurance information at face value, I don't see anything that would obligate Commerce to pay. :(

I agree with looking into a state victim fund. I am a volunteer victims of crime advocate (albeit not in MA) and I help people apply for state assistance, along with other forms of assistance from local community centers, charities, etc. Google around for crime victim advocates in the area and see if they can point your friend toward anything.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
He says he's got something called "insurance under bodily injury from an uninsured vehicle," I assume that's related to any medical bills that might arise from this? He's not certain.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

He says he's got something called "insurance under bodily injury from an uninsured vehicle," I assume that's related to any medical bills that might arise from this? He's not certain.

Correct, that is Part 3 - Bodily Injury Caused by Uninsured Auto. A hit-and-run/unidentified auto is considered an uninsured auto, for that coverage's purpose. If he has injuries stemming from the accident, then that coverage (along with Part 2 - Personal Injury Protection) can help. A Commerce claims rep can guide him through the process.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

How do they figure out coverage in those accidents on icy roads where like 80 cars are all piling up and slamming into each other?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I have Dog Law questions. Does some kind of Doggy Child Support concept exist? If there is an un-neutered dog running around, humping up bitches, would the owner be liable for vet costs for the pregnant dogs? Would that answer change if the dogs in question were being boarded at the time of Scandalous Canine Affairs?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SkunkDuster posted:

How do they figure out coverage in those accidents on icy roads where like 80 cars are all piling up and slamming into each other?

I assume nearly everyone files against their own insurance. A lot of the people are guilty of driving too fast for conditions, failure to maintain control, etc. Gonna probably be tough to prove otherwise without a dash cam.

My grandpa used to tell a story about an accident he was in started by a car plowing into someone at a stoplight that chain reactioned 3 or 4 other cars in front of the guy that causes it where everyone had to pay for the damage to the car in front of them. I always suspected he was misremembering but I dunno maybe people were really stupid in the 70s or whenever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mercenarynuker posted:

I have Dog Law questions. Does some kind of Doggy Child Support concept exist? If there is an un-neutered dog running around, humping up bitches, would the owner be liable for vet costs for the pregnant dogs? Would that answer change if the dogs in question were being boarded at the time of Scandalous Canine Affairs?

I cannot speak to legal implications, but part of this fault lies with the owner of the unaltered female just as much as the owner of the unaltered male. Please spay and neuter your pets!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Nice! posted:

I cannot speak to legal implications, but part of this fault lies with the owner of the unaltered female just as much as the owner of the unaltered male. Please spay and neuter your pets!

Oh boy

:can:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I cannot speak to legal implications, but part of this fault lies with the owner of the unaltered female just as much as the owner of the unaltered male.

OH MY

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Is it really crazy to say that people should get their pets fixed? Pets are companions. If you're breeding and selling animals, those are not pets, they're livestock.

Also don't let your cats outside. They're devastating to local wildlife.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is it really crazy to say that people should get their pets fixed? Pets are companions. If you're breeding and selling animals, those are not pets, they're livestock.

Strong moustache energy off this post

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

To me the joke was removing the indicator that the comments were about animals

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If they’re livestock then damages would be much higher and easier to prove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

Most US state law is that you have to maintain enough distance to stop without collision if the person in front stops abruptly. So if the person in front of you hits something and you don't have enough space to stop before hitting them (because you're following too close for icy roads), you are at least partially at fault. If you do stop and then the person behind you pushes you into them, you wouldn't be.

I have no idea what level of police fault assigning actually happens in practice.