Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Very tiny spoilers but it looks like Sam neill and Matt damon are back in the cameos we expected

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1366767042205003782?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

When I first met my wife, one of our first dates was seeing Dr. Strange. That led to me showing her all the previous Marvel movies while in return she got to show me all the Harry Potter movies.

Whenever Thor: The Dark World came up, she INSISTED I never showed her that one. I very much did, but no matter what I told her about that movie, she remembered nothing of it. Since she's at home all the time due to the pandemic, she's rewatched the MCU twice over. She still can't remember anything about Thor: The Dark World.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

When I first met my wife, one of our first dates was seeing Dr. Strange. That led to me showing her all the previous Marvel movies while in return she got to show me all the Harry Potter movies.

Whenever Thor: The Dark World came up, she INSISTED I never showed her that one. I very much did, but no matter what I told her about that movie, she remembered nothing of it. Since she's at home all the time due to the pandemic, she's rewatched the MCU twice over. She still can't remember anything about Thor: The Dark World.

I can't either, so I get it. That movie is a black hole.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thor's 2 minutes of drunk rambling explaining the story in endgame is more memorable than dark world

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gavok posted:

I don't blame her. It's not the worst MCU film, IMO (I think that's Iron Man 2), but it's probably the most forgettable and the single entry that does the most to vindicate the usual criticism of Marvel Studios as a soulless cinema-as-product factory.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

I doubt any of the actors were excited to be tied to these bit parts for another 10 years. They were actual characters in Thor 1 and that's it.

An MCU without Volstagg the Voluminous is the lesser for it. :colbert:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

An MCU without Volstagg the Voluminous is the lesser for it. :colbert:

We'll have to make up for the lack of Volstagg by introducing Fat Cobra.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I like the bit in Thor 2 where they're flying the magic gondola through Asgard and the reality-warping fight at the end. The rest is a huge blur.

And this is coming from a Thor 1 apologist.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I remember more about the follow-on episode of Agents of SHIELD than I do The Dark World.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The only thing that really sticks with me about Thor 2 is that the Aether is a red wibbly wobbly mess that then becomes the Reality(?) Stone. So I always wonder what the hell Captain America is gonna do with that when he goes to return them at the end of Endgame. He's gonna have a rough time getting that thing back inside of Jane.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He sneaks it into her vape.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember Jane being sassy to the Asgardians about their magic just being technology, that was kinda fun.

And Stellan Skarsgård wasn't wearing pants for most of the film.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

We'll have to make up for the lack of Volstagg by introducing Fat Cobra.

Sold.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

I remember Jane being sassy to the Asgardians about their magic just being technology, that was kinda fun.

And Stellan Skarsgård wasn't wearing pants for most of the film.

I also enjoyed the attack on Asgard sequence.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’ll say it again, for probably the fourth or fifth time, The Dark World is legit. It just suffers from being part of the MCU and therefore being compared to much, much better movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eh... People have been saying these kinds of things about it since it came out, when that wasn't really true.

To that point they had:
Iron Man
Hulk
Iron Man 2
Captain America
Thor
Avengers
Iron Man 3

Basically everyone agrees 3 of those aren't very good (it's probably more like 5), but still better than Thor 2.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thor didn't even fight Aghanim and get transported to the dark world

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:hmmyes:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Eh... People have been saying these kinds of things about it since it came out, when that wasn't really true.

To that point they had:
Iron Man
Hulk
Iron Man 2
Captain America
Thor
Avengers
Iron Man 3

Basically everyone agrees 3 of those aren't very good (it's probably more like 5), but still better than Thor 2.

I think The Dark World is easily better than Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. And it came out after Avengers which built up a huge amount of buzz and set the bar pretty high. Then Dark World comes along and it's just a fun movie with some really great design work. The dark elf aesthetic looks fantastic. Say what you will about how they wasted Eccleston on a thinly-written character, Malekith is one of the more striking looking villains in the MCU. And all of the stuff between Thor and Loki and Loki and Frigga is great.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dark World probably could have been better if it had come along in Phase 3 or 4 or after Guardians when the MCU seemed more comfortable just going different places. Dark World's like a weird sci-fi/fantasy thing but doesn't really commit to it outside the formula. So its just kind of a weird squel, but I can see wwhy if you really liked those elements it might be more fun.

I really liked The Warriors Three and Sif in the first Thor. I loved the way Thor just had his own little team that was basically his highschool buddies. Them all riding off on horses to attack the Frost Giants felt like an 80s movie with kids riding off on their bikes to an adventure complete with Thor's annoying little brother tagging along. I think they went a long way to giving Thor character and setting.

In Dark World they're kind of just there though. I think its basically just that Thor outgrows them. In Thor he's a juvenile jock all about being king, but then he's concerned about Earth, Jane, Infinity Stones. He just doesn't have the same time or need for his old buddies as he did before. And then he shows up in Ragnarok with basically a new team after his old one all got killed while he was away.

I don't really miss the Three, although I thought they added character. I liked Sif though so I'm really glad she's back in the fold. I'm looking forward to a Jane, Sif, and Valkyrie teamup.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
All I remember from Dark World is Loki putting up a facade while imprisoned to make it seem like he had a handle on things, but Thor being able to see through it and he called him out and Loki showed him how he was really doing. Also his reaction to finding out his mom died.

Also I thought Heimdall died in Thor 2, so I was really surprised when he returned in Age of Ultron. And then again in Ragnorok. And then again in Infinity War, where he actually died (I think).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The dark world is the worst MCU movie because it's main problem is it's boring. Iron Man 2 isn't great but at least the ways it's bad are memorable. If you see two movies, and you remember one sucking and don't remember one at all, the one that sucked was better because at least it stayed with you.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

That is a horrible take.

E: thinking about it never mind, it makes sense for so bad it’s good stuff. But some movies are just flat out unwatchable and I’d watch dark world a million times before watching like the cobbler again or whatever that stupid Adam Sandler movie was called.

A talking coyote fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 2, 2021

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Even by that metric, I think The Dark World is better, then. I remember next to nothing from Iron Man 2 other than, like, memes. "I wont moy bord!" and Sam Rockwell dancing. Even less from Incredible Hulk.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'll actually stick up for Iron Man 2, apart from the atrocious sound design where two combat mechs laying into each other sounds like some pots and pans rattling around, I think it holds up and a lot of the stick it got at the time was from an audience that wasn't used to characters crossing over into other franchises. Like, yeah, IM2 spends a lot of time with Nick Fury and setting up Black Widow so it's not wholly an Iron Man movie, sure. But these days, people complain when characters from other movies don't show up.

Dark World, on the other hand, is such a pile of nothing. I only know that the baddie was Malekith because Malekith is cool and worth remembering in the comics. I remember the Convergence because it was visually striking, but do I remember what the Dark Elves' evil plot was without looking it up? No. (They wanted to use the Reality Stone at the point of the Convergence to be able to affect all Nine Realms at once, but even after looking it up, I still couldn't tell you if they wanted to rewrite reality or destroy everything or what the gently caress their ultimate aim was.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Iron Man 2 isn’t great, but it’s still entertaining as hell for the entire runtime because of that cast. It’s all flash and no substance but the flash is really cool and pretty.

Source: I watched it yesterday immediately after finishing Thor 2.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

Also I thought Heimdall died in Thor 2, so I was really surprised when he returned in Age of Ultron. And then again in Ragnorok. And then again in Infinity War, where he actually died (I think).

This reminds me of an article I had to write in the lead-up to Infinity War where I ranked all the heroes from least likely to die to most likely. Of course, we didn't know about the Snap cliffhanger, so having Black Panther and Spider-Man as the least likely is a bit awkward, but in terms of characters who actually died by the time Endgame was over, it was an interesting set of guesses in retrospect.

Black Widow seemed unlikely due to her having a movie on the way. I figured if any Guardian was going to get killed, it would be Drax, the guy who has a major hate-on for Thanos and will in no way succeed in acting on it (or Kraglin dying due to being the Coulson of the team). Hulk was a strong possibility. But then there were the obvious ones. Vision had to die to set the plot forward, Loki wasn't long for this world and we were definitely losing Cap OR Iron Man.

Still, nobody was more obvious than Heimdall dying because Idris Elba was WAYYYY too famous and big a name to stick around in that role. That guy was getting Johnny Cage'd immediately and I was right.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Iron Man 2 isn’t great, but it’s still entertaining as hell for the entire runtime because of that cast. It’s all flash and no substance but the flash is really cool and pretty.
See, I disagree with that. "Tony is staring death in the face and not dealing with it well" and "Tony has real issues with everything his father left him" are both themes that start up in IM2 and are going to get developed further in all his appearances until they both reach their final resolutions in Endgame.

Also, the retcon that the kid at the Stark Expo was Peter Parker is cool.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A talking coyote posted:

That is a horrible take.

E: thinking about it never mind, it makes sense for so bad it’s good stuff. But some movies are just flat out unwatchable and I’d watch dark world a million times before watching like the cobbler again or whatever that stupid Adam Sandler movie was called.

I would take any Adam Sandler movie over dark world. At least those are fun to speculate about how they were allowed to be made. Dark World is just a workmanlike slog through banality and nothingness. It's the anti-movie equation.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The only thing that I didn't really like about Iron Man 2 was it seemed like, for all intents and purposes, Howard Stark was a dick who screwed his partner over, giving the Vankos a legitimate gripe with Stark Industries and going after Tony. It seemed like the plan was to have Tony confront those ideas of who his father was and what he did, the same way Tony had to confront himself in the first movie. Like, the damage caused by Stark Industries ran far deeper than "No more weapons" was addressing.

But then they turned around and went with "No, Anton was a bad guy and your father didn't do anything wrong" so we could have a clear-cut case of villainy with Ivan rather than something a little more nuanced. We could have had Tony accepting the role his father played in being a lovely person and wanting to make things right with Ivan, but Ivan being all "It's too late for that" and have things carry out as they did. Or you could even have had Tony continue to "save" Ivan from himself and his desire for revenge, preventing Ivan from killing himself at the end, resulting in him getting turned over to SHIELD, and that action being what would ultimately have Fury see that Tony Stark was worth having as part of the Avengers, instead of ending Iron Man 2 with "We don't want you." and starting Avengers with "OK, gently caress, we need you." You know, like show us he's a hero by doing heroic stuff instead of showing us he's a hero because he's fighting a villain.

I don't know. I guess this is why I don't get to write movie scripts.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I would take any Adam Sandler movie over dark world. At least those are fun to speculate about how they were allowed to be made. Dark World is just a workmanlike slog through banality and nothingness. It's the anti-movie equation.

Cool, watch Jack and Jill, the movie containing multiple full length Dunkin Donuts commercials, and enjoy knowing that it has a soul in a way that Dark World does not.

*Honestly I agree that Dark World ain't great, I just can't follow you to Adam Sandler output. It's not like there's a lot of speculation to make. He realized he can get funding for his movies, cut every possible corner, and also fill them so full of product placement that they're profitable regardless of box office, thus ensuring a big empty payoff every time.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 2, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

theironjef posted:

Cool, watch Jack and Jill, the movie containing multiple full length Dunkin Donuts commercials, and enjoy knowing that it has a soul in a way that Dark World does not.

*Honestly I agree that Dark World ain't great, I just can't follow you to Adam Sandler output. It's not like there's a lot of speculation to make. He realized he can get funding for his movies, cut every possible corner, and also fill them so full of product placement that they're profitable regardless of box office, thus ensuring a big empty payoff every time.
Like 90% of the time, the answer is that he wants to go on vacation with his friends and has figured out a way to get studios to pay him to do it. There's a reason why the laziest of his movies take place in the nicest settings.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I can’t untangle my memories of Iron Man 2 from those of the trailer. Pepper kissing the helmet before throwing it out of the plane, and the Iron Man/War Machine side by side are super memorable, and it’s nuts the former didn’t even end up in the final movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jack and Jill led to the dunkacino edits so it's demonstrably and materially a better, more well remembered movie than dark world. The loving audacity of Jack and Jill is incredible, and interesting, although bad.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gavok posted:

Did you ever insist to her to never show you the Potter movies past the third one? If so good on you.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I can’t untangle my memories of Iron Man 2 from those of the trailer. Pepper kissing the helmet before throwing it out of the plane, and the Iron Man/War Machine side by side are super memorable, and it’s nuts the former didn’t even end up in the final movie.

I'm one of those people that absolutely loves the 2nd Iron Man movie and meh on the 3rd one even though I really enjoy Shane Black joints. Loved how Rockwell was used, and was sad Rourke was miscast for some bizzare reason. Johanson's red mop wig is still really weird.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 2, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I personally can’t stand IM3 but I can’t place the exact reason why. I also can’t stand the dozens of suits in the movie because it makes the first few suits seem way less special than they were. And I know it makes sense for Tony and and it’s an irrational reason to dislike the movie, but it just never gelled with me.

I don’t really care about the antagonist(s) at all either.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Iron Man taking a piss in the suit is one of my personal favorite moments from all the movies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Iron Man taking a piss in the suit is one of my personal favorite moments from all the movies.

When iron Man pisses his pants it's someone's favorite scene. When I do it, I'm "not allowed at Thanksgiving anymore."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I fuckin love that they brought back Ralphie from A Christmas Story for Far From Home, it's so funny to me that they bothered, it rules