Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Eschatos posted:

I haven't really seen the point of a shield. So far dodge rolling is an easy escape button in the occasional case when you can't just time walking away from an enemies swing between melee strikes. Plus the bow has become my main weapon for any actually tough enemy.

Timed blocks/parries open up monsters for double damage attacks, and is super easy for most enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I haven't had any luck working rolls into my muscle memory, the button combo for directional rolls always feels weird. Also kinda surprised it doesnt level up like blocking

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I dont think I've rolled on purpose since I crafted the bronze buckler. Very much agree the button combo feels super awkward.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Gully Foyle posted:

Timed blocks/parries open up monsters for double damage attacks, and is super easy for most enemies.

Different weapons have different parry multipliers, knives do 4x damage to parried enemies and 10x damage on backstabs

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Reik posted:

Anyone here good at troubleshooting dedicated servers? It didn't seem too difficult to set up: just edit the batch file, forward ports, and run it, but I can't get it to work.

If your config file is for port 2456, make sure you connect to localhost:2457

I had to forward default steam ports too, here's my forwarding list, as of this mornings server patch adding 2455:

TCP: 2455-2458,27015-27030,27036-27037
UDP: 2455-2458,4380,27000-27031,27036

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jesus christ the third boss is just miserable to fight, the first one is alright, the second one is boring, the third is just actively miserable and took far too long to just beat the drat thing to death after turning on god mode.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are you enjoying this game

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gully Foyle posted:

As far as I can tell it's the only way to melee down deathsquitos because they'll zoom off before you can get a melee attack. But if you parry them you can get the hit.

Unless different weapons have shorter block recovery times, I've only ever used a mace.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of it is fine, the construction element is nice, the sailing is... excessive but pleasant enough, I would prefer it if I didn't have to transport metal by hand because there aren't any threats it just takes a long time. The normal enemies are alright to fight although I think the game relies on damage/armour/hp variance too much and needs a single dodge key.

But there are just particular elements that are absolutely godawful and are like biting into a rusty nail in an otherwise agreeable sandwich.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

xzzy posted:

As far as I can tell it's the only way to melee down deathsquitos because they'll zoom off before you can get a melee attack. But if you parry them you can get the hit.

Unless different weapons have shorter block recovery times, I've only ever used a mace.

With the sword I can counter attack deathsquitos fast enough with just a regular block.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are you playing alone? I'm torn on whether that might help you have a good time or if it would just hurt someone else's. Tedious poo poo like a long safe boatride home hoping the wind obeys are a lot more fun when you can talk to someone along the way. Otherwise, when sailing alone I kind of do something else since so much of sailing only needs attention when it's going wrong.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 2, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
As I progress will tougher mobs spawn near my main base to attack it?

It's on the edge of meadows/BF and the only thing that ever happens is The Forest Comes Alive or whatever and a few boars and necks attack. So far there has been no reason to build any serious defense. And that's kinda boring.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah I will say, I made a boat and ailed up the coastline and I was fortunate to have the wind at my back, but I was on the second tier boat and the only time anything seemed even mildly threatening was when I stumbled into the ocean biome and the game honked at me, and then once more when some land along the shore had some major pop-in and I almost ran up on a Draugr swamp spawn.

Otherwise, the music was nice.flr the first 5 minutes and then the next 15 were meh.

That said, a much faster ship and maybe none of the wind, and it would have been a swell time.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Yeah I've messed with both solo/group and definitely find the group play better. We already use games like HotS to just chat during the pandemic, but inevitably we don't talk much because we are focused on the match itself. This allows us to chat because there are a lot more down moments, but a few action spikes to keep things interesting. Been fun to explore and have someone trade off tasks, like ferrying a bunch of copper from the mining site to the town we built, or someone discovers a dungeon and we set about suiting off for it.

The only thing I wish it had (and maybe we can find a mod for it) is having the map be shared between people on communal servers.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

in retrospect i probably shouldn't have set up a dedicated server on a google VM for an EA game, without any idea of how to restart it and update the version of valheim running on it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are nominally enemies in the ocean but you can just drive away from them half the time and they won't follow you to land so just sail at an island if you can't outrun them.

It's kind of in that annoying spot where the wind changes often enough and you get knocked off course by waves and have to navigate around land that you can't really stop paying attention to it but there isn't really anything to do either. It's fine if you are looking for somewhere and paying attention to the specifics of the land but I don't think it needs to be something the game keeps making you do the same trip over and over for.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

isaboo posted:

As I progress will tougher mobs spawn near my main base to attack it?

It's on the edge of meadows/BF and the only thing that ever happens is The Forest Comes Alive or whatever and a few boars and necks attack. So far there has been no reason to build any serious defense. And that's kinda boring.

Yes, I believe invasions are keyed to the latest boss that has been defeated in the world. Whatever you've killed, you get attacks from the next zone up. Haven't had an invasion since beating the third boss, though so not sure what they look like past that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, good news! According to the roadmap, one of the upcoming updates is supposed to focus on the ocean.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah, I honestly think my forward bases are just gonna be near black forests so that I can pull out bronze and wood for benches and go from there. At least for now.

Ideally they'd let you make crafting stations from the base required material or better but that'll probably have to be a mod thing.

That and making portals that can teleport the last tiers metal and down need to be in the game. I'm gonna drag bronze from forests so I can get an iron operation going, but once I'm into iron I should be able to just teleport bronze. Once I find silver, iron should be able to be teleported.

It'd even be a good resource sink/tactical choice. Do I make this silver axe, or set up my teleporter so I can get iron here and start working. It still forces you to make the initial trip and setup, just not subsequent ones.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Can you take over a troll cave?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CRAYON posted:

I dont think I've rolled on purpose since I crafted the bronze buckler. Very much agree the button combo feels super awkward.

I only manage to roll when I'm on the edge of a cliff or other equally awkward situation

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

genericnick posted:

You can kill the current occupant and squat at the entrance, if that counts.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Next time I go sailing for another loving swamp, I'm only settling in a neighboring black forest too. I don't even want to think about the process of securing another swamp beachhead, and if there's no black forest biome on the island then it can gently caress off forever

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Next time I go sailing for another loving swamp, I'm only settling in a neighboring black forest too. I don't even want to think about the process of securing another swamp beachhead, and if there's no black forest biome on the island then it can gently caress off forever

You don't even need a beachhead, I've just been placing down a portal on the coast and putting a boat next to it for the iron. Enemies spawn pretty infrequently in the swamp and they're all slow so you can easily run them to another patch of ground if they happen to be on you when you come out of the portal.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah but I have a compulsive need to make nice little shelters that inevitably grow into outposts with a defensive perimeter

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Otacon posted:

I had to forward default steam ports too...

A couple weeks ago while setting up a dedicated server on my machine I went through hours troubleshooting the port thing before realizing I needed the default Steam ports too: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You only need those open to get into the server browser, mine works fine as a direct connection with just the valheim ports

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
finding a safe spot to park the karve, then ninja'ing a couple of crypts or three works out pretty well. mostly.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Otacon posted:

If your config file is for port 2456, make sure you connect to localhost:2457

I had to forward default steam ports too, here's my forwarding list, as of this mornings server patch adding 2455:

TCP: 2455-2458,27015-27030,27036-27037
UDP: 2455-2458,4380,27000-27031,27036

I got a new ISP recently that uses a router instead of just a modem and forgot to set their router to passthrough IP so it was jacking up my ports. Got that fixed and it works now :toot:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Anyone have any giant portal rooms (like 15+ portals)? I keep seeing screenshots and I'm pretty curious where they all go.

I'm fully upgraded highest tier and just have the 5th boss to kill. I have 3 portals.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CRAYON posted:

Anyone have any giant portal rooms (like 15+ portals)? I keep seeing screenshots and I'm pretty curious where they all go.

I'm fully upgraded highest tier and just have the 5th boss to kill. I have 3 portals.

It's my next project to build with 3 bosses down, it's for quick access to the various established outposts in the world and hauling non-ores back to a central location or quickly accessing a outposts junk piles.

Fun thing about a portal hub is you can build it anywhere in the world and it doesn't matter where.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

OwlFancier posted:

I do not understand why portals are paired rather than just being networked. I just stranded myself changing the tag because there is no clear indication when the portal has changed destination. Game realls seems determined to make me hate it.
It's not ideal, but my workaround is to rename the portal to "BLANKASJDHSJHSDHDH", let it Disconnect, and then type the new ID in.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

CRAYON posted:

I'm at about 10. I pretty much just like to explore whenever friends on the server don't need help, so i'll plunk down a teleporter at home base, run a few miles into the wilderness, and put down the other end when I find a useful biome, a nice prebuilt structure, or if my inventory fills up.

OwlFancier posted:

I do not understand why portals are paired rather than just being networked. I just stranded myself changing the tag because there is no clear indication when the portal has changed destination. Game realls seems determined to make me hate it.

It shouldn't be possible to strand yourself. Just change the tag back to the former one.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Eschatos posted:

It shouldn't be possible to strand yourself. Just change the tag back to the former one.

you can if you're doing the Stargate portal address thing (i.e. using one portal and changing its tag to your destination portal) because the tag change visually takes effect before the actual connection, so you can change the tag from x to y -> walk through the portal now named y -> end up at the other end of portal x, but now the portal won't take you back because the original portal shifted from tag x to tag y (and since you already have two portals with the tag y in this scenario, congrats, you're boned and can't go back without running back)

this only happens if you IMMEDIATELY walk through the portal, waiting even like 5 seconds prevents it

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CRAYON posted:

I'm up to 10 and just plop them down whenever I find a safe spot that is just far enough away that would be a pain to sail to.

Gonna restart, actually because this hilltop base I made is proving to be kind of a pain in the rear end.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Jesus christ the third boss is just miserable to fight, the first one is alright, the second one is boring, the third is just actively miserable and took far too long to just beat the drat thing to death after turning on god mode.

If you're only posting in this thread to complain about the game, maybe just stop playing?

I 100% do not regret using some of my early iron to get the iron sword. I am just a huge fan of the sword move set and being able to confidently let deathsquitos charge me, knowing I can almost always slash them before they hit me is a great feeling.

genericnick posted:

You can't build inside the instance unfortunately, but you can dig under it and use it as a partial roof, as a buddy of mine did. He made a narrow, two story stone house under one and it's pretty awesome.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 2, 2021

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

CRAYON posted:

I'm at about 8ish? Early random exploring portal, starting pillars for boss abilities, merchant, swamp, elder, bonemass, silver mountains, plains base, exploring portal 2...I just make them as I need them for the major areas of the game. I've also been unlucky in that my boss spawns have been completely separate from my farming areas in each biome, so they need a separate portal after the long boat ride. The only tricky part is when a portal for one area becomes valuable for a different reason down the line. My merchant portal became an access point to my second swamp, my elder portal became a mountain access point and my plains base ended up branching out of my bonemass portal. There have been more than a couple times where I forget which portal leads to which chest where I left that stack of iron I need to make some nails.

Playing solo I enjoyed the third boss is the best of them all. I didn't terraform the swamp, but it took a while to get my gear set up and upgraded, then craft the resist potions, stam and HP potions for the fight. During the fight I went 100% melee and got into the parry->attack pattern and running from AoE. It was nice to have an engaging close range fight. The 2nd and 4th boss were basically an arrow heavy kiting battle by comparison. I had a golem spawn and crush me when the 4th boss was at 5% hp though, that left me a bit salty on the encounter.

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 2, 2021

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

...i really, really want to be able to put armor on mannequins or even just the wall mounts. this game totally has me in viking barbie dream house mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd honestly like an excuse to use swords but piercing damage being key against trolls and blunt for undead is just enough weapon and skill slots for me to cover.