Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Large Mac n cheese + 10 homestyle tenders with honey mustard.
Anyone remember the last goon in a well that only ate mac n cheese and tendies?

This thread may be approaching his legend. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Who the gently caress is Dave Ramsey? I'm not googling this poo poo.

Dave Ramsey is a Jesusy "financial guru" who likes to hold maskless parties and gathering superspreader events.

In terms of financial advice he's Alcoholics Anonymous for debt.. he provides basic adivce to budget, and focus on getting out of debt, having an emergency fund.

His callers tend to be
"Dave I'm 20k under water on my truck, I'm thinking about trading it in and getting another truck but putting them on a 10 year paymetn plan so I'm actualy saving money"
Dave: NO YOU ARE AN IDIOT Pay teh truck off.. stop spending money on luxuries and start paying off debt etc
Caller: WOW YOU ARE JENIUOUS
Dave: Dont forget to pray and pay the church.

edit: OH GOD why why do I try and help?
Ry if you're going HARD into Dave ramsey why are you failing so much at it. his baby steps

0. Establish a budget (his is everydollar but there's YNAB, mint, budgetwise etc)
1. Establish a 1k Emergency fund. IN LIQUID CAPITAL not investments or 401k
2. Pay off all your debt (subtext, don't get a $2,000 loan shark in case you were wondering)
3. Save 3-6 months living expenses (I mean currently yours are like zero but whatever)
4. 15% into your 401k (NOT TO GANK FOR LOANS TO YOURSELF)
5. Invalid
6. pay off your home (your truck is paid off currently).

By the way.. his belief on home loans is 15 year mortgage with 20% down. not borrow from your 401k.
A better way to think of this if you don't need AA for Money
A mortgage currently COSTS LESS than investments. My 1 year old 30year mortgage isn't great at 3.5% . My gains in my 401k in the last 12 months.. 25%, average rate of return should be expected as 7-10%
Buy a house you can afford with a 15 year mortgage and 20% down. Pay the 20% down but get a 30 year mortgage so you can pay down at a 15 year rate, but if you have an emergency / income disparity.

YOU NEED A BUDGET!
Start today.

1. Chicken tendis 600 a month
2. Deathmobile insurane: 100 a month
3. Cell phone for toilet eve: 100 a month
4. Vehicle maintinance: 300 a month (you need ot bulid up so you can fix it's many deficencies)
5. Toilet paper for tendies: 100 a month
6. Transportaiton / gas: 150 a month.
7. Medical: 100 a month
8. Clothes: zero, 4 clothes is enoguh clothes
9. Loanshark: as much as possible to get rid of the loan

Put the rest towards your other goals like savings for properties, or a livable truck.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 2, 2021

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

If you went from an expensive apartment and two brand new cars to a single-room apartment and a complete piece of poo poo, with the same cash flow, shouldn’t you be awash with cash right now? Why are you dipping into your retirement for $2000 expenses?

PS sell the truck

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Fermented Tinal posted:

Who the gently caress is Dave Ramsey? I'm not googling this poo poo.

an rear end in a top hat super christian whose whole thing is don't take on any debt and be happy you're poor and you'll eventually get a house where's my seminar payment

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ellie the beep posted:

rytheric you still havent explained *why* you are soulbonded to the truck you got scammed into buying, merely *that* you are

THIS

What's the story behind the attachment to the truck, homie?! I'm fuckin dying here! I don't want to talk you out of it I just want to knowwwwwww

Also, get yourself a fuckin Instant Pot once you figure out your power situation, so you're not spending upwards of $480 per week on fast food

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

tater_salad posted:

Dave Ramsey is a Jesusy "financial guru" who likes to hold maskless parties and gathering superspreader events.

In terms of financial advice he's Alcoholics Anonymous for debt.. he provides basic adivce to budget, and focus on getting out of debt, having an emergency fund.

His callers tend to be
"Dave I'm 20k under water on my truck, I'm thinking about trading it in and getting another truck but putting them on a 10 year paymetn plan so I'm actualy saving money"
Dave: NO YOU ARE AN IDIOT Pay teh truck off.. stop spending money on luxuries and start paying off debt etc
Caller: WOW YOU ARE JENIUOUS
Dave: Dont forget to pray and pay the church.

:cripes:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Have you spent even a dime on Toilet EVE?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Rytheric posted:

financing a 2019 Subaru crosstrek/2020 subaru ascent on top of student loans

why would anyone in their right mind buy an ascent

also: why would anyone buy an ascent AND a crosstrek lol

(unless you're going to swap the FA24F from the ascent into a crosstrek but then you most definitely have a garage with a lift already)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

If you went from an expensive apartment and two brand new cars to a single-room apartment and a complete piece of poo poo, with the same cash flow, shouldn’t you be awash with cash right now? Why are you dipping into your retirement for $2000 expenses?

PS sell the truck

Budget:
Rent: $0
Endless truck parts: $800
Gasoline: $150
Fast food: $750
Telescope financing: $250
total: 1950

guys I'm in good financial shape because I am functionally homeless, it is cool and good to live without a refrigerator, I'm stress eating myself into an extended hospital stay but that's totally worth it to never do business with a bank like 99.99% of everyone else manages to do just fine, this is all therapeutic, can anyone give me advice on how best to weatherproof an interior french door I'm mounting to the back of my totaled box truck?

Rytheric can you see how this reads to people? You're probably pretty annoyed about how many people are making GBS threads on you in this thread now, but can you at least recognize why? This isn't "admirably self-sufficient jack-of-all-trades does cool projects and lives independent lifestyle", this is "kinda half-crazy semi-homeless guy continuously undermines his own quality of life through endless manic nonsense"?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Hey have you tried not using the stock market as a savings account and setting up a realistic budget?

I posted how Ry should start budgeting for real and I got blown off by him because he claimed toilet EVE was supposed to help him develop better financial skills

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 2, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Reminder that the Rock eats around 6k calories a day to maintain his physique. NFL lineman are choking down similar diets to maintain playing weight.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I think y'all are being too hard on Ry about the truck, it's old, and $2,500 isn't a great deal, but it has the right form factor, and will probably be perfectly reliable with a little work, those old 5.4L Ford V8s are pretty simple and easy to work on.

A $6500 RV is going to have issues that I loving shudder to think about, plus it's not great to drive around.

Beater pickup and trailer is a way better idea, but I think we're past the point of no return here, and going forward Ry should put his money towards the truk, improving it mechanically and probably upgrading the electrical system.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I like to listen because it makes me feel good about myself (I had a late start to being financially healthy, some of which meant getting rid of zarugwife).. but after the superspreaders I've decided to stop giving him money for being a listener.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

AdmiralViscen posted:

PS sell the truck

Because I threw all the money from the difference in cash flow into my 401k to use it as a savings account. I normally only allow myself $400 a month for food. But if I unlock my cashflow I accidently spend $800-1200 a month on food. I unlocked my cashflow to buy the land of MurderHaus. Once I redirect that flow into fixing GroverTruk. I will lock it back up into being funneled into my 401k. Kind of like in the movie down periscope where the muscle guy clamped the cracked pipe that started flooding the engine room. Except my arteries are what's getting flooded atm.

Edit: I was putting 26% of my income into my 401k. Which my match bumped that up to 30%. That 24% was being wasted on overpriced apartment bachelor pad that never got used as such and a overpriced vehicle.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 2, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Elviscat posted:

I think y'all are being too hard on Ry about the truck, it's old, and $2,500 isn't a great deal, but it has the right form factor, and will probably be perfectly reliable with a little work, those old 5.4L Ford V8s are pretty simple and easy to work on.

A $6500 RV is going to have issues that I loving shudder to think about, plus it's not great to drive around.

Beater pickup and trailer is a way better idea, but I think we're past the point of no return here, and going forward Ry should put his money towards the truk, improving it mechanically and probably upgrading the electrical system.

Thank you. It's a 5.8L v8 though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Rytheric can you see how this reads to people? You're probably pretty annoyed about how many people are making GBS threads on you in this thread now, but can you at least recognize why? This isn't "admirably self-sufficient jack-of-all-trades does cool projects and lives independent lifestyle", this is "kinda half-crazy semi-homeless guy continuously undermines his own quality of life through endless manic nonsense"?

The more I read the more this looks like a tale of an executive function disorder.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I kind of get where Ry is coming from. I was lucky not to have any student debt and get a job that allowed me to buy a small one-bedroom flat after 5 years of renting and saving. So now, after five more years, if I wanted, I'd be able to move into a proper house. It does feel good to have this liberty, but in my case it was a combination of the welfare state, luck, moderate ascetism, and even more luck. I wouldn't say someone from America who can only afford living in a killer truck to have any savings at all should follow my example, because it's just miserable living. Unless you're like a modern-day St. Francis, but from Ry's posts I doubt he is, and it's going to take its toll sooner or later.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Elviscat posted:

I guess I should've been clear that by RV budget I meant RV or truck/trailer combo. To me a travel trailer and an RV are the same thing, just one can drive itself.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I don't want the debt. I kind of took to Dave Ramsey kind of hard. I was turning my wheels and barely staying afloat with an overpriced apartment and financing a 2019 Subaru crosstrek/2020 subaru ascent on top of student loans. Following Dave Ramseys advice and my bosses advise I got rid of the apartment and my Subarus and decided from then on I'd either buy a home in cash or borrow from my 401k which I recall getting the idea from minority mindset and my boss.

I'm shocked

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

That 24% was being wasted

I guess this is the crux of it. If living in a (professionally-built) house or apartment with solid heating, clean water, electric, clean air and basically-zero chance of carbon monoxide poisoning is a waste of money to you and you would rather live in the back of a totalled vehicle and hope beyond hope that the CO from your broken-rear end truck's engine exhaust doesn't kill you, there's little we can do to argue with you I guess, since you're clearly in need or more qualified help than any of us can provide.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Paladinus posted:

Unless you're like a modern-day St. Francis, but from Ry's posts I doubt he is

Remember the parable of St Francis buying $2000 in optics while chugging 4K calories worth of chicken and cheese daily? Yeah me neither.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Rytheric, are you happy? Are you looking for change or do you do this stuff accidentally? Do you regret grovertruk? Would you try buying a truck again if you could? Your living situation is frankly terrifying and I'm more scared for you than mad at you. Is there any general life advice you're seeking?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Paladinus posted:

I kind of get where Ry is coming from. I was lucky not to have any student debt and get a job that allowed me to buy a small one-bedroom flat after 5 years of renting and saving. So now, after five more years, if I wanted, I'd be able to move into a proper house. It does feel good to have this liberty, but in my case it was a combination of the welfare state, luck, moderate ascetism, and even more luck. I wouldn't say someone from America who can only afford living in a killer truck to have any savings at all should follow my example, because it's just miserable living. Unless you're like a modern-day St. Francis, but from Ry's posts I doubt he is, and it's going to take its toll sooner or later.

So I have statistics of others in my nationwide company's 401k. I have 23k in my 401k (10k being borrow). The 23k puts me in the 86th percentile for saving. The median 401k in North Carolina for my salary in my company is $1,713. I am 22 out of 200. The nationwide median saved is 4k for my peer group.

Compared to other industries. My peers in the information sector have a median savings of $12,279. Followed by 6k for finance and insurance. Then the manu and wholesale trade median is 5k. After that everyone falls to 2k. People in general. Do not know how to save. I'm actually pulling ahead in the retirement department by locking my funds away.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, I spent 5 years renting a lovely bedroom (actually half of the original dining room!) in a communal living house, which allowed me to put a down payment on my current house.

Which just needs some minor repairs, like "being completely gutted, and some of the foundation replaced"

It certainly allows me to understand where Ry's coming from though.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I guess I should've been clear that by RV budget I meant RV or truck/trailer combo. To me a travel trailer and an RV are the same thing, just one can drive itself.

The thing is, those travel trailers suck, they're thin, poorly insulated, and leak constantly from every conceivable location (for ones in Ry's budget) I no poo poo think box truck with 2x6 framing and insulation in the back is a better candidate for pseudo small house living.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Thank you. It's a 5.8L v8 though.

Eh, point stands.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

Eh, point stands.

Okay. Didnt know if the 5.8L was worse.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

So I have statistics of others in my nationwide company's 401k. I have 23k in my 401k (10k being borrow). The 23k puts me in the 86th percentile for saving. The median 401k in North Carolina for my salary in my company is $1,713. I am 22 out of 200. The nationwide median saved is 4k for my peer group.

Compared to other industries. My peers in the information sector have a median savings of $12,279. Followed by 6k for finance and insurance. Then the manu and wholesale trade median is 5k. After that everyone falls to 2k. People in general. Do not know how to save. I'm actually pulling ahead in the retirement department by locking my funds away.

In the grand scheme of retirement savings needed to have a decent retirement by age 67 (lol that won't happen), you might as well be talking about a difference of pennies.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Rytheric posted:

Edit: I was putting 26% of my income into my 401k. Which my match bumped that up to 30%. That 24% was being wasted on overpriced apartment bachelor pad that never got used as such and a overpriced vehicle.

This is turning into a dogpile, but there is a middle ground between an overpriced apartment with two (!) brand new (!) vehicles for one person and living in the back of a truck with mechanical issues. No one here can tell you what your $/month value would be out of something with consistent electricity and ventilation, but I have to believe there are studio apartments or something similarly ascetic that would be way less than your previous place but still a space to call your own while you work on projects.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

um excuse me posted:

Rytheric, are you happy? Are you looking for change or do you do this stuff accidentally? Do you regret grovertruk? Would you try buying a truck again if you could? Your living situation is frankly terrifying and I'm more scared for you than mad at you. Is there any general life advice you're seeking?

I am actually the happiest I've been in life since I was like in the 3rd grade. People make fun of me because I randomly blurt out that I love my life at work from time to time. The only change I'm looking for is to live on my own again which the land of MurderHaus would have provided. Only general life advise I guess I am seeking is how not to die from accidently eating 10k MG of sodium a day and get in the habit of eating groceries or how not to get overwhelmed at work.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Blowjob Overtime posted:

This is turning into a dogpile, but there is a middle ground between an overpriced apartment with two (!) brand new (!) vehicles for one person and living in the back of a truck with mechanical issues. No one here can tell you what your $/month value would be out of something with consistent electricity and ventilation, but I have to believe there are studio apartments or something similarly ascetic that would be way less than your previous place but still a space to call your own while you work on projects.

Oh I meant that to be that I traded in the crosstrek for an ascent. I wanted the ascent because It could tow my boat. My crosstrek could barely do that. Doubt it could pull it out of the water.

The problem is what apartment would allow me to park my box truck there. If they allow it where would crap constantly not get stolen out of it. That and it's just anything more than the $200 I pay now would seem inefficient unless there is an end date to it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

None of those statistics matter. Because the country is basically divided into those who have generational wealth, those how save in earnest to have a good retirement, and everyone else. It sounds like the sudden 401(k) savings is another fixation. It came at the price of being functionally homeless, which is another reason that the statistics don't matter.

How is your health insurance? Would you consider talking to someone? Because the more I read the more I've gone from "this is a willfully ignorant moron" to "this person has one or more diagnosable and treatable issues where management and treatment would make their life much better". Which makes this whole tread tragic rather than funny unless and until you get real help.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Rytheric posted:

accidently bought a large $2000 telescope.

Rytheric posted:

accidently bought an armful of books and an electric violin.

Rytheric posted:

accidently set up a $500 date in the immediate future though. Was going to take her on a pedicure date since she is on her feet all day for work and accidently referred to it as a spa date.

Rytheric posted:

accidently volunteered myself for too much work and I'm drowning. Going to have to pull a weekender and grovel at some point.

Rytheric posted:

accidently depleted the groverBattery to the point my inverter doesn't want to charge it

Rytheric posted:

accidently spend $800-1200 a month on food.

Rytheric posted:

accidently eating 10k MG of sodium a day

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

low key sex master posted:

2095 Calories, 5375mg Sodium

twice a day

so 4190 calories and 10,750 sodium a day and that's probably without soda?

I'm... i don't even know what to think right now

i mean don't get me wrong I do love me my fast food but Jesus Ry you are going to die.

You can save a lot of money by just replacing your kfc with lard and salt.

Two teaspoons of plain salt + a pound of lard a day is the caloric and sodium equivalent.

So just buy like a thing of Morton's salt and seven pounds of solid lard and you're good for a week
Eat the telescope for trace minerals

serious: You're essentially trying to make a junkyard habitable on credit. The Truck of Theseus is a terrible idea, you should sell it for scrap and put it into a down payment for a safe place to live and I wish I could have CPS take you away from yourself temporarily because none of your posts read like you are a well man and everyone around you appears to be treating you like a reality show.

Financial "gurus" can tell you whatever they want, they don't have to live your life with the consequences of you following their advice.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Rytheric posted:

Apparently washing a vehicle title is a federal offense th

How the deal went down was sketch

The actual seller just told me that he just didn't get around to titling it himself.

I was going to give the seller an extra $500 on top of what I gave him over the purchase price for being such a good fellow

jesus loving christ :cripes:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

jesus

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Elviscat posted:

The V8 may be a good component of that truck but it sounds like it's the only part. And you have to take into account Rytheric's approach to automotive maintenance and repair; scattershot, based on numerous fallacious theories that he clings to until proven wrong with like, cited sources or something; performed alone outdoors without electricity in poor conditions without adequate tools. He's already announced a few times that he intentionally leaves parts of his engine on the edge of failure, under this theory that those points of failure are better because they're understood (vs I guess actual reliability, which Rytheric has dismissed as impossible or something). This is not a recipe for long-term survival of that V8 anyway.

Motronic posted:

The more I read the more this looks like a tale of an executive function disorder.

I personally think it's uncool to try to armchair-diagnose people's medical conditions, particularly psychological ones, for a bunch of reasons.

Rytheric posted:

I am actually the happiest I've been in life since I was like in the 3rd grade. People make fun of me because I randomly blurt out that I love my life at work from time to time. The only change I'm looking for is to live on my own again which the land of MurderHaus would have provided. Only general life advise I guess I am seeking is how not to die from accidently eating 10k MG of sodium a day and get in the habit of eating groceries or how not to get overwhelmed at work.

The habit of eating groceries is extremely facilitated by having a kitchen, with a refrigerator, pantry, cooking utensils, etc. It's a fundamental issue with your camping lifestyle. You keep talking about the inefficiency of rent, but the inefficiencies of having to live without a kitchen, laundry, bathroom, etc. are significant too and one of them is the massive inefficiency of impending physical collapse due to your diet.

Also, do you see how your one fixation flows into another and then another? The box truck can't easily be parked on the street (no back door so it's insecure), so you can't rent an apartment, so you have to live in the truck while it's not actually a tiny house yet? You can't have an indoor bathroom, so you need multiple structures, so you need land that can handle that, so that restricts your land acquisition options? You simply must have thick insulation in order to save what, ten or twenty bucks a month on heating costs, so you must build from scratch and must have a box truck so you can use framing to permit insulation and this leads into all the other insane costs and commitments?

You're simultaneously absurdly flexible in how you're willing to live, and absurdly inflexible on key attributes of your plans. One of the hallmarks of people who successfully self-start and live the lifestyle you're going for - including, I'll wager, your beloved handyman grandpa - is not having these key points of inflexibility that drive all the rest of your decisions in ways that actively impede your progress. I obviously don't know your grandpa but I bet he'd tell you to just deal with less insulation if it means saving thousands of dollars and perhaps years of time living without any indoor space at all, because then you could just buy a tiny home platform that is already halfway (or all the way) to being properly habitable. Or just live in an apartment, buy land nearby when you've saved enough and can find a plot that isn't a scam, and construct a properly insulated home on it.

And since we're on the subject of the heating efficiency fixation anyway, your logic isn't even logical. Producing the heating energy for your tiny home via any method you can on-site, be it solar, generator, running the truck engine, etc. are all far less efficient than taking electricity off the grid the way a properly built home structure does. Electric power plants have economies of scale that give massive efficiency advantages compared to doing something on a tiny scale. Yes, you can catch up sorta, if you do an earthship (but you're not doing an earthship), or if you have geothermal (but you're not doing geothermal), those are irrelevant to your actual plans of insulating a box truck and then living inside it, which will never ever be as energy efficient as any of the above.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

ulvir posted:

jesus loving christ :cripes:

This is a problem I kind of also have. I tend to tip 50% or 100% if it's a cheap place. And I use to give people money uncontrollably until Dave Ramsey suggested I limit it to 10%. And that worked out for a bit the last two years.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Leperflesh posted:

The habit of eating groceries is extremely facilitated by having a kitchen, with a refrigerator, pantry, cooking utensils, etc. It's a fundamental issue with your camping lifestyle. You keep talking about the inefficiency of rent, but the inefficiencies of having to live without a kitchen, laundry, bathroom, etc. are significant too and one of them is the massive inefficiency of impending physical collapse due to your diet.

Also, do you see how your one fixation flows into another and then another? The box truck can't easily be parked on the street (no back door so it's insecure), so you can't rent an apartment, so you have to live in the truck while it's not actually a tiny house yet? You can't have an indoor bathroom, so you need multiple structures, so you need land that can handle that, so that restricts your land acquisition options? You simply must have thick insulation in order to save what, ten or twenty bucks a month on heating costs, so you must build from scratch and must have a box truck so you can use framing to permit insulation and this leads into all the other insane costs and commitments?

You're simultaneously absurdly flexible in how you're willing to live, and absurdly inflexible on key attributes of your plans. One of the hallmarks of people who successfully self-start and live the lifestyle you're going for - including, I'll wager, your beloved handyman grandpa - is not having these key points of inflexibility that drive all the rest of your decisions in ways that actively impede your progress. I obviously don't know your grandpa but I bet he'd tell you to just deal with less insulation if it means saving thousands of dollars and perhaps years of time living without any indoor space at all, because then you could just buy a tiny home platform that is already halfway (or all the way) to being properly habitable. Or just live in an apartment, buy land nearby when you've saved enough and can find a plot that isn't a scam, and construct a properly insulated home on it.

And since we're on the subject of the heating efficiency fixation anyway, your logic isn't even logical. Producing the heating energy for your tiny home via any method you can on-site, be it solar, generator, running the truck engine, etc. are all far less efficient than taking electricity off the grid the way a properly built home structure does. Electric power plants have economies of scale that give massive efficiency advantages compared to doing something on a tiny scale. Yes, you can catch up sorta, if you do an earthship (but you're not doing an earthship), or if you have geothermal (but you're not doing geothermal), those are irrelevant to your actual plans of insulating a box truck and then living inside it, which will never ever be as energy efficient as any of the above.

:emptyquote:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > GroverTruk: I wish I could have CPS take you away from yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
*pops head in the window* you busters wanna know what's no accident?

* French doors
* Wall sconces