Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Thought it was 1.2C?

oh did I read that above Bloomberg graphic wrong? I thought it was saying 0.78°c but that looking at it again I think it's saying just the December temp so I'm probably just dumb

revise my above statements to 1.2° already and 1.1° more baked in, phew that makes everything much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Thought it was 1.2C?

depends, there's currently a debate over whether it's 1.2C or 0.9C above the 1800's average. the bloomberg climate page is showing the average for December 2020, not the average over the year.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Irony.or.Death posted:

tricked you it's number

I don't think the Cult of Number needs "starting"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
edit: There was a skimming-involved incident.

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Mar 2, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Admiral Ray posted:

depends, there's currently a debate over whether it's 1.2C or 0.9C above the 1800's average. the bloomberg climate page is showing the average for December 2020, not the average over the year.

Perversely we should hope it's the former because if this is what climate systems look like at .9C then we're hosed even more extremely than I thought.

Edit: 1.02C is a happy but no less concerning medium.
Edit 2: Okay that NASA page states it's 1.02C against 1951-1980 average temperatures. If that holds true then yes it should be in the neighborhood of 1.2C against pre-industrial.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Miami's SLR adaptation plan just dropped lol

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/climate/miami-sea-level-rise.html?referringSource=articleShare

It's delusional, but what else can they do? They have to maintain the fiction that it's somehow viable to continue building there or the tax base will collapse

Of course, that will happen anyway and then some when The Big One rolls through

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/climate/miami-sea-level-rise.html?referringSource=articleShare

It's delusional, but what else can they do? They have to maintain the fiction that it's somehow viable to continue building there or the tax base will collapse

If it were possible to know when the big one was going to roll through I'd short miami so hard

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Edit 2: Okay that NASA page states it's 1.02C against 1951-1980 average temperatures. If that holds true then yes it should be in the neighborhood of 1.2C against pre-industrial.

This is what I get for skimming.

The correct one: +~1.2C

And 2.1 * (5/9) = 1.17

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Mar 2, 2021

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

quote:

“I’m not sure if it’s really owning up to the problems that are in Miami’s future,” said Rob Moore, a senior policy analyst with the Natural Resources Defense Council. He described the strategy as “just enough to reassure developers that Miami’s safe enough to build in, in the near term.”

hell yeah

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

based Miami planners trolling Our Beautiful Builders

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

me, thinking about taking on a 30 year loan for this building: "boy, sure am glad Miami has a plan for this."

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Admiral Ray posted:

me, thinking about taking on a 30 year loan for this building: "boy, sure am glad Miami has a plan for this."
they'll sell it when the tax abatement ends in ten years; not their problem

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's fun that this "upbeat" plan that's already delusionally optimistic essentially says that living in Miami will mean just living with water everywhere all the time.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
just raise the sidewalks and market miami as the upcoming american venice, bing bong so simple

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

holy poo poo this loving video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D11-DITq-Is&t=718s

"There's actually nothing we can do to stop wildfires, so we just have to blame everyone for not building fire proof homes."

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Lostconfused posted:

holy poo poo this loving video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D11-DITq-Is&t=718s

"There's actually nothing we can do to stop wildfires, so we just have to blame everyone for not building fire proof homes."

lmfao --- is your entire state burning down every year? Well if you put sprinklers in your house, you'll be fine.

lmfao

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if big government wasn't getting in the way we could build all of those houses entirely out of asbestos and there wouldn't be any issues

once again government is the problem

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Just a reminder to everyone in this thread doomposting sarcasm for the past few days that my rap sheet contains 5+ bans / pseudo-bans for being an "Eco fascist" :airquote: because I spent the last few years pointing out that maybe, maybe, it's actually bad both ethically and morally if we cause millions of distinct species to go extinct and largely destroy the biosphere, if in the process we allows your average forum moderator to survive and still eat chicken tendies while at best experiencing nature abstracted through an old British narrator.

Turns out people don't like it when you tell them their lives and those of their families and friends are worthless compared to a Salmon, doubly so when you explain why. Wierd, I know, can't fathom the reaction. Sentience is a hell of a drug. :shrug:

Anyways all the coral and stuff is stone dead around Oahu and there's trash everywhere and there's way less birds and insects than I was expecting and the traffic is insanely bad up north even with pandemic struggles, funny how thousands of years of Polynesians chilling out here was cool and good and sustainable and suddenly everything has been destroyed in basically 70 years?!?!? It's a real mystery, I tell ya. Can't throw stones or lay blame anywhere for this, too many variables to point fingers, we're all in this together now and just need to pull together for a brighter tomorrow for our children's sake! :downs:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

lmao this whole thing is premised on 2 feet of rise?

lol lmao

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/09/14/glaciers-breaking-antarctica-pine-island-thwaites/

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/324/5929/901

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

reading Green Mars and the Antarctic volcanic event story arc was where I learned that was even possible

cool

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/02/210208085521.htm

I knew about the toxic chemicals that were melting out of the permafrost, and how that was a factor in making that land unsuitable for agriculture. Turns out it's also a positive feedback effect on the climate as well.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Lostconfused posted:

That's not wrong if you're talking about southern California - it's been known for a long time that minimizing roof overhangs, eliminating vent openings in the eaves, and using fireproof roofing material greatly increases a building's chances of survival during the regular brushfires that have been part of the ecosystem for several hundred years. But for some reason Californians have ignored this. Something to do with Freedum, I guess?

During the late 1980s B.C. tried to protect its cedar shake market in California by arguing that soaking them in fire retardant made them fireproof. To California's credit they called bullshit and banned cedar shakes.

Further north on the coast the problem was water - natural massive forest fires occurred at about the same rate as earthquakes, every couple of hundred years or so, so people were more focused on big roof overhangs to keep things from rotting at the foundation/framing interface. Unfortunately that design funnels flame up the side of the building and into the eaves vents so now that the forests are drying up we're REALLY hosed. Over the last few years there's been a big push to adopt FireSafe(tm) principles - clear a defensible perimeter around your house, minimize flammable landscaping and mulch up against the walls, etc., but every new house being built around us is the old design with flammable roofing. But not cedar shakes - too drat expensive and hard to source.

Shake roofs in this climate last twice as long as asphalt shingles but if the roof catches fire it sheds burning bits of cedar kindling to the wind. It would rule if our local red tailed hawks learn to use burning branches to start new fires to flush game, like their Australian firehawk cousins.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
rime i been posting my naked lust for human extinction as long or longer and i have zero bans because i don't do it in d&d or post like i'm in d&d have you considered just not doing that

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
tbf it doesn’t seem to be consistent who is a “protected class” poster or any consistency on who gets punished for what. catching a ban or a probe really does come down to whether the eye of sauron is being levelled upon you specifically

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
you just have to post enough life minutiae and @ enough other regular posters in a given cspam thread and you get magic buttons that can make bad people go away

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

you just have to post enough life minutiae and @ enough other regular posters in a given cspam thread and you get magic buttons that can make bad people go away

:smugdon:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

My guess is the future circa 2200 will be 70 million Russians living in Siberia and occupied Scandinavia vs 100 million Americans living in occupied Canada with the rest of the world uninhabitable.

I still think there's a chance I can learn Spanish and get across the hot belt to the southern hemisphere and Tierra del Fuego before it's no longer possible

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

lol if you an afford to build a house and don't look like your an immigrant like mos eisley. smdh

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the fact that people can spend their day getting emotionally invested in how large the eaves are in a roof design is just brain breaking

like... if you're gonna pretend we can solve any of this poo poo with architecture, you'er trying to figure out how to 3d print khrushchyovkas, not how to loving tweak the marin county zoning laws

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Real Mean Queen posted:

Something I hate about climate talk (usually found in places other than this thread) is the “well actually” guy who says humanity will never go extinct, because there will always be at least a handful of humans living somewhere, even if it’s in a vault trying to wait the climate out, or a spaceship headed for nowhere. According to a lot of people, humanity’s greatest hope is an imaginary future that I find bleaker than suicide.

For me, humanity is the promise of new poo poo. Humanity is the situation where multiple groups of humans live in different places, and live differently. Different problems are solved in various ways, different foods are eaten, different languages are spoken, different stories are told, different clothes are worn, and there’s something new to learn from somebody else. I don’t think it’s humanity any more if it’s a bunch of Elon clones living on a space ship, or a culture of a couple hundred vault people who all know each other.

What’s your minimum bar for a number of people still counting as humanity? I guess I would put mine at new musical styles being traded between communities.

Reclassify rocks as humans and then the concept of humanity will go on forever :smuggo:

I think ultimately about not being able to consider and accept one's own mortality which is a big enough problem outside of immediate climate doom

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Colonel Cancer posted:

Reclassify rocks as humans and then the concept of humanity will go on forever :smuggo:

I think ultimately about not being able to consider and accept one's own mortality which is a big enough problem outside of immediate climate doom

In the broken earth trilogy the earth is alive and it hates humanity, and the rocks themselves have a life. It's a really good series

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

In the broken earth trilogy the earth is alive and it hates humanity, and the rocks themselves have a life. It's a really good series

Why would umpty-trillion tons of rock hate whichever brand of ephemeral fuzz was lightly dusting it this geological era?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Complications posted:

Why would umpty-trillion tons of rock hate whichever brand of ephemeral fuzz was lightly dusting it this geological era?

hard to summarize since the logic unfurls over 3 books but in the book the humans gently caress with the moon's orbit and the planet gets loving pissed about it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Angered the Horta duh

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lostconfused posted:

if california has a fire surplus and florida has a water surplus then i’m confident the free market can find a profitable solution to both states’ problems

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
California is thirsty and Florida has to pee, there is a natural equilibrium here

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Was watching Our Planet (another Attenborough narrated doc) about the frozen seas, and it ends with a scene of walrus's jumping off cliffs and dying because they can't see well enough to tell how far it is.

Not related to climate change but the rest of the doc isn't heartwarming they didn't have to go out of their way to show me one ton lemmings.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
whats hilarious is that humans caused that tragic disaster, humans were present to capture it in high resolution, and then humans were unable to prevent it from happening over and over until the walrus all died wait what

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
our elected officials are working tirelessly to apply their knowledge of walrus management to the entire planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
there's no system more complex than the human mind and we are beginning to master even it with the power of Tech