Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

OH WOW! I missed the part where Doug took two real life people's mental health problems and made them into his character's backstory. :stare:

Youtube recommended this same video to me and I skipped it due to it being recommended after I watched a particularly crummy video on The Day The Clown Cried but the more and more people post about it I wanna get some free time to watch it. The only impact I had on it was half remembering it when someone made a *inspirational* gif set of his speech on the Lorax review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Archer666 posted:

I mean if you need to be told the obvious and same message every week, then you do you. But I don't really think its helping anyone at this point or taking any blindfolds off of people who didn't know about this yet. :shrug:

Unless reminded, blindfolds slip back on very easily for a lot of people sadly.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

AOT bored me and I can't even remember why

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Dwelling on something negative that you can't do anything about isn't very helpful. Far from stopping people from going numb, I'd say the repetition actually makes it easier to tune out.

Ghostlight posted:

It may sound simple, but you don't have to watch every one.

You could use that line to brush off any piece of media criticism, though. "Don't like that movie? Well you didn't have to watch it :smug:"

And anyway, the point is that Jim's show wasn't always like this. It used to be that you could watch every week and see some interesting analysis of games and the game industry but it's only relatively recently that the videos have started feeling so interchangeable. I will say this latest one did at least have some news about Anthem, and I'm always up for a bit of dancing on that game's grave.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bakeneko posted:

You could use that line to brush off any piece of media criticism, though. "Don't like that movie? Well you didn't have to watch it :smug:"
i'm not using it to brush off any piece of media criticism, though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

"I don't like their consistency in choice of topic" is fine as a personal opinion to hold but pretty useless as a criticism

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Archer666 posted:

I mean if you need to be told the obvious and same message every week, then you do you. But I don't really think its helping anyone at this point or taking any blindfolds off of people who didn't know about this yet. :shrug:

If you've followed Jim's content for the last couple of years, the notion of 'AAA game industry bad' is probably pretty firmly drilled into your head by now.

The issue isn't as much, 'there's no point in reiterating it every week' as it 'cripes, talk about something else once in a while.' Like, at this point, you can probably read about the same things Jim talks about elsewhere in an article, and take away the same message in a quarter of the time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The AAA game industry is content to repeat the same mistakes over and over again so until they stop that I see no issue with one person constantly putting out videos about that well-trodden ground.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Derails are fine.

It's always been strange to me that people can make a living just summarizing movies on YouTube. It's what Doug Walker and his imitators did. There's a channel I stumbled upon called Spooky Rice that does the same thing for disturbing horror movies. Just a chronological retelling of the plot nothing added. Hundreds of thousands of views per video.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Derails are fine.

It's always been strange to me that people can make a living just summarizing movies on YouTube. It's what Doug Walker and his imitators did. There's a channel I stumbled upon called Spooky Rice that does the same thing for disturbing horror movies. Just a chronological retelling of the plot nothing added. Hundreds of thousands of views per video.

Yeah it's wild. I guess at least it's better than something like Cinemasins but at the same time I have run across people who treat those videos as comparable to watching the movie and it drives me up a wall in the way that people who recite crap from Cinemasins doesn't.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

If you've followed Jim's content for the last couple of years, the notion of 'AAA game industry bad' is probably pretty firmly drilled into your head by now.

The issue isn't as much, 'there's no point in reiterating it every week' as it 'cripes, talk about something else once in a while.' Like, at this point, you can probably read about the same things Jim talks about elsewhere in an article, and take away the same message in a quarter of the time.

Yeah, I like their video, still watch them and even used to defend them against post like this but "let me point out how lovely this is" kind of videos just aren't doing it for me these days. Yes, things suck in the "AAA" space and they have for a long time, but when you start repeating the same stuff you've been saying for years it starts to become tedious. Instead of complaining about this bad thing, why not take a solutions-based approach? Why not promote some innovative indie project? Their pivot to tying it with capitalism was their best idea because instead of just pointing out company does bad thing for profit, you attack and analyze the economic system that allows them to do this.

They occasionally put a video out that's pretty darn insightful but more often than not I usually turn it off about half way in because I've heard this same argument and point before.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Derails are fine.

Indeed. I use them as a means to tune out from the thread for a while if I'm not interested.

Meanwhile, looking up the NGE AIDS tape video led this to my recommendations and oof it's accurate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQzxcF1GCWs

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is funny how the imagined narrative of AoT by people who aren't watching it and getting their information secondhand (or more) has progressed as the series does. It used to be a secret call to action for the youth of Japan to militarize.

My only complaint is I watched a clip Funimation themselves put up and it spoiled a character death which has really bummed me out because I'd been pretty spoiler free and also I liked the character a lot. :smith:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jenny decides she wants a fur-bearing trout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZz-zGwTY4A

:shrug:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Derails are fine.

Let's be clear: Derails are good. Derails are the lifeblood of this entire thread. If someone wants to start a 12 page digression into the professional beyblade scene or something baby i am LIVING for it

It's the derails where one side has decided the other isn't worth talking to, so that side has started to make up guys to yell about because they aren't engaged with anymore, you know

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Junpei Hyde posted:

AOT bored me and I can't even remember why

its because its crazy bad on like a base level and seeing people go this hard for it is baffling lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The name is dumb. When I first heard it I thought it was gonna be a space opera (the title conjures up an assault on Saturn's moon).

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

fun hater posted:

its because its crazy bad on like a base level and seeing people go this hard for it is baffling lol

I would assume because art is subjective and they had a different experience from you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

The name is dumb.

AnimeMangaTitles.txt

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

The name is dumb. When I first heard it I thought it was gonna be a space opera (the title conjures up an assault on Saturn's moon).

It's an awkward translation of a name that turned out to be a pun.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Junpei Hyde posted:

I would assume because art is subjective and they had a different experience from you.

its just not very good.

that said i also think the notion that youtubers are a line of defense between corporations and consumers/the workers is a little naive

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Last weekend you could easily sap all your lifeforce from witnessing the discussion behind Vision talking about grief. Jesus Christ I can easily, easily picture a Sarah Z video on like the reaction to that line and the sheer backlash to the reaction of that line, like, a few years down the line to the point I almost felt bad for capestuff enjoyers.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You're all gonna look the fool when the series ends with a shot of the entire world, called Titan, that also happens to be a titan!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dabir posted:

It's an awkward translation of a name that turned out to be a pun.

Once it became clear that it was a pun I went from feeling indifferent about the way they translated the title to absolutely loving it. Isayama is a madman.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's gonna be like, this Ac-Bu videoclip but with people entering bigger and bigger flesh enclosures, isn't it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's the pun?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Christ the Japanese and their puns.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, I like their video, still watch them and even used to defend them against post like this but "let me point out how lovely this is" kind of videos just aren't doing it for me these days. Yes, things suck in the "AAA" space and they have for a long time, but when you start repeating the same stuff you've been saying for years it starts to become tedious. Instead of complaining about this bad thing, why not take a solutions-based approach? Why not promote some innovative indie project? Their pivot to tying it with capitalism was their best idea because instead of just pointing out company does bad thing for profit, you attack and analyze the economic system that allows them to do this.

They occasionally put a video out that's pretty darn insightful but more often than not I usually turn it off about half way in because I've heard this same argument and point before.

yeah. they found their stick and cause thats their right. i can't really blame sterling for that. that being said, i was never a fan of them(just too shouty and their humor sucks) even though i think they do good work.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

the only thing you are allowed to dislike is Hunter x Hunter

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What's the pun?

It's "Shingeki no Kyojin" (literally Attack's Titan) which at first looks like it just means the show is about Titans being attacked (Japanese doesn't have plural forms on nouns). A little way into the story the protagonist gets the power to turn into a Titan himself, only it's a special kind of Titan called the Attack Titan (also Shingeki no Kyojin).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kunster posted:

Last weekend you could easily sap all your lifeforce from witnessing the discussion behind Vision talking about grief. Jesus Christ I can easily, easily picture a Sarah Z video on like the reaction to that line and the sheer backlash to the reaction of that line, like, a few years down the line to the point I almost felt bad for capestuff enjoyers.

At risk of ruining the thread... what happened?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Garrand posted:

Jenny decides she wants a fur-bearing trout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZz-zGwTY4A

:shrug:

I have no idea what skill you'd call this, exactly, but it is fascinating to watch.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Holy poo poo the fur-bearing trout community works fast:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fur-bearing_trout

Page created in 2007. Last edit before today was in 2018.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Famethrowa posted:

At risk of ruining the thread... what happened?

Vision said "What is grief if not love persisting?". The Internet sucks so it's either the greatest line in written English or hacky, terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if someone said ~problematic~.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I have no idea what skill you'd call this, exactly, but it is fascinating to watch.

Crypto-taxidermy.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
media is dogshit. everyone should just go knit or do carpentry we'd be happier

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

gently caress compose
gently caress melody
dedicated to no one
thanks to no one
ART IS OVER

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Dias posted:

Vision said "What is grief if not love persisting?". The Internet sucks so it's either the greatest line in written English or hacky, terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if someone said ~problematic~.

Pick between "War crime apologist" "Human culture destroying", "Infantilizing all media as we know it", "Soy face poo poo", "We must all return to monke" poo poo being screamed at all at once over and over again for two straight days. By nearly every left figure on american twitter of note. Over "well that line touched me a bit".

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I might not have finished the first season of Attack on Titan if the Super Best Friends weren't also watching it. They often did segments at the end of their podcasts where they talk about things in spoilers (and also sometimes their regular videos), and I decided to hold off on those segments until I caught up with the show, too (this is also how I watched Kill la Kill). By the end of the season, I was hooked enough to binge-read the existing manga chapters, which didn't include the basement reveal but did include some other twists that held my attention very well at the time. After that, though, I never made a point of keeping up with the series, even after another thread spoiled the basement for me. Maybe when it's all over I'll try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kunster posted:

Over "well that line touched me a bit".

That's not what the person said and the way they put it is why it got roundly mocked.