Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cloks posted:

Rod Reis feels like an artistic heir to Sienkiewicz and I'm really enjoying that. His studied yet loose brush is really interesting to look at and his experiments with color in the most recent issue were a joy.

Reis is incredible, he's like Sienkiewicz and Phil Noto mashed together and it's extremely my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

rantmo posted:

Reis is incredible, he's like Sienkiewicz and Phil Noto mashed together and it's extremely my poo poo.

This is the best description of Reis' style; he is so good and I'm glad he is still around for X-Men stuff.

Also, the New Mutants coaching the newer mutants is a great idea and I hope this take on the NM sticks for a while.

Finished getting up to date with Wolverine and I have lost track of how many humans threats the Krakoa era has. I remember Orchis, Clan Akkaba and the X-Desk, but I feel like there are more that I'm forgetting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

This is the best description of Reis' style; he is so good and I'm glad he is still around for X-Men stuff.

Also, the New Mutants coaching the newer mutants is a great idea and I hope this take on the NM sticks for a while.

Finished getting up to date with Wolverine and I have lost track of how many humans threats the Krakoa era has. I remember Orchis, Clan Akkaba and the X-Desk, but I feel like there are more that I'm forgetting.

Children of the Vault, Hellfire kids club, that South American country Beast hosed over, whatever is below Krakoa, those Russians Colossus' brother is working with, Vampires, Arcade.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Hordiculture.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Was the weird mutant cult that kidnapped babies on Cable the same that appeared in Marauders?

The guys that exploded into tinier guys were the Russians working with Mikhail?

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

There's also that group with the peacock guy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WaffleZombie posted:

There's also that group with the peacock guy

XENO

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
i hope maker makes an appearance getting to the bottom of who independently arrived at the idea for an ai-run city that speedruns human evolution, twice

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Reed being butthurt about it once he finds out would be great.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Since Maker's as a villain happened during Hickman's criminally short run on Ultimates, I'm still sort of low key disappointed he hasn't shown up to do anything during any of the main X-books.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 27, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jiro posted:

Since Maker's as a villain happened during Hickman's criminally short run on Ultimates, I'm still sort of low key disappointed he hasn't shown up to do anything during any of the main X-books.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but I bet he will make an appearance at some point.

radlum
May 13, 2013
At least I want him to tease Xavier for his helmet choice

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gologle posted:

Reed being butthurt about it once he finds out would be great.

"You fuckers stole my idea, I know it, don't even try to say you didn't! I don't know how, but you did! GOD DAMMIT I hate this universe!"

or

"Yeah whatever man, real fuckin cool idea, just get ready for when your little city fuckin' backstabs you"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 27, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hordiculture owns. Just a bunch of old ladies clowning Cyclops and doing plant science.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I loved Hellions so much that I moved from reading it on Unlimited to hard copy and I just caught up and it is wonderful. A great concept, executed so well.

Also, against my preferences, the 90s-On X-Event reading group decided that Onslaught counts as an X-Event and so we're reading that. I don't believe that corporations are people but I would be for a Supreme Court case where the comic book character Magneto would be allowed to sue every post-Claremont writer for defamation.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

danbanana posted:

I loved Hellions so much that I moved from reading it on Unlimited to hard copy and I just caught up and it is wonderful. A great concept, executed so well.

Also, against my preferences, the 90s-On X-Event reading group decided that Onslaught counts as an X-Event and so we're reading that. I don't believe that corporations are people but I would be for a Supreme Court case where the comic book character Magneto would be allowed to sue every post-Claremont writer for defamation.

That is not Magneto

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
claremont's magneto is great, but it's still a complete reinvention of the original character. writers in the 90's simply did the same thing as claremont, except much worse.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

bobkatt013 posted:

That is not Magneto

Yeah I'm not talking about Joseph. This story has multiple conversations about how Onslaught exists because Chuck absorbed a part of Magneto and Magneto was an unrepentant monster who abused his daughter (this is the first time this was ever mentioned?) and had no character other than being an evil supervillain.

Seriously, the most egregious thing in the first 5 years after Claremont's departure (and literally in the story he left because of) is the reduction of arguably the most complex "bad guy" in all of superhero comics into a generic, mustache-twirling villain. Mags probably has more appearances as a headmaster in Claremont-written books than anything else...

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

danbanana posted:

Seriously, the most egregious thing in the first 5 years after Claremont's departure (and literally in the story he left because of) is the reduction of arguably the most complex "bad guy" in all of superhero comics into a generic, mustache-twirling villain. Mags probably has more appearances as a headmaster in Claremont-written books than anything else...

X-Men (1991) 1-3 does work rather well as a bittersweet swansong to Claremont's take on Magneto, but he really is a totally different character the next time he pops back up.

Some say those 90s writers (and later Morrison) went back to the pre-Claremont Magneto, as referenced above, yet it's clear that version of the character was the least interesting one.

I'm glad that better writers have tried to restore some nuance to him. That said, I will admit to thinking the whole idea of Onslaught was cool back when the books were coming out.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 2, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

wielder posted:

X-Men (1991) 1-3 does work rather well as a bittersweet swansong to Claremont's take on Magneto, but he really is a totally different character the next time he pops back up.

Some say those 90s writers (and later Morrison) went back to the pre-Claremont Magneto, as referenced above, yet it's clear that version of the character was the least interesting one.

I'm glad that better writers have tried to restore some nuance to him. That said, I will admit to thinking the whole idea of Onslaught was cool back when the books were coming out.

Even as young as I was at the time I remember finding X-Men1-3 super tragic but that is because my only experience with Magneto was God Loves Man Kills at that point and Magneto seemed genuinely wounded by how quickly Wolverine got out for his blood.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
claremont wrote at least some of those issues, is why. the exact proportion is up for debate, but he was on his way out the door at the time.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

claremont wrote at least some of those issues, is why. the exact proportion is up for debate, but he was on his way out the door at the time.

The Magneto in the first 3 issues of X-Men 91 is a departure from the character seen just a year or so earlier. It's still Claremont's voice but it's hard not to see how much of the "Magneto needs to be the bad guy when we launch the book" edict came down. And the whole editorial control was what he has openly discussed as to why he left. That Magneto seemingly dies at the end of that story.

The Magneto who shows up during Fatal Attractions-not 2 years later!- is completely removed from the character who existed for the previous 10+ years. It's just lovely cartoon supervillain at that point. Retrograde poo poo.

And to my original post, the entire time in onslaught, you hear nothing of Mags except how lovely he was, as if they just ignored decades of stories.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If it helps Byrne thought Magneto didn't need nuance and tried to make him just a super-villain again. It didn't work because late stage Byrne is terrible and also so was the idea.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
That's why I don't understand the people who say Morrison "ruined" Magneto or whatever. He was critiquing the character as he had been written for more than a decade at that point. It's not like Morrison came in the day Claremont left and said "I'm gonna make Magneto evil and spite all his character development! Mwahaha!". That was a done deal long long before Morrison came on board.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

galagazombie posted:

That's why I don't understand the people who say Morrison "ruined" Magneto or whatever. He was critiquing the character as he had been written for more than a decade at that point. It's not like Morrison came in the day Claremont left and said "I'm gonna make Magneto evil and spite all his character development! Mwahaha!". That was a done deal long long before Morrison came on board.

Maybe but also Scott Lobdell didn't have Magneto put humans into crematoriums.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

danbanana posted:

This is the cover for the last issue by Scott Lobdell right before the comic rebooted into Grant Morrison's run. It's like something out of WH40K.

I'll take Magneto on drugs genociding NYC by Grant Morrison any day over this garbage. At least it sort of made sense from what came before and it was far more interesting than a whole decade of Scott Lodbell loving up the character.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 2, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

danbanana posted:

Magneto was also literally possessed by an evil Bacteria at the time. It's why I don't understand the whole "Xorn pretending to be Xorn who is Xorns twin brother" retcon. Morrison gave them a perfect out if they wanted to take Magneto back in a more anti-hero direction. Just blame the crematoriums on the Bacteria. Other outright hero characters have done worse under possession/mind control and been forgiven. Even gives you an easy redemption arc to seque Magneto back into being an anti-hero again by having him be horrified at what happened and deciding to get back to his more mellow days from the Claremont era.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

galagazombie posted:

Magneto was also literally possessed by an evil Bacteria at the time. It's why I don't understand the whole "Xorn pretending to be Xorn who is Xorns twin brother" retcon. Morrison gave them a perfect out if they wanted to take Magneto back in a more anti-hero direction. Just blame the crematoriums on the Bacteria. Other outright hero characters have done worse under possession/mind control and been forgiven. Even gives you an easy redemption arc to seque Magneto back into being an anti-hero again by having him be horrified at what happened and deciding to get back to his more mellow days from the Claremont era.

Yeah, that's fine but having a Holocaust survivor do that (Beak- ON PAGE!- says it's some Nazi poo poo!) is... extremely bad. "The Bacteria made me a Nazi!" might work for Hank or Cyclops or Sauron but maybe don't do that with not only a Jewish character but a person whose core beliefs are informed by surviving an attempt at extermination of his people.

Anyway, the point remains that Lobdell & Co. turned Magneto into a complex character into something stupid and generic and it's the most frustrating thing I keep running into in these books.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

galagazombie posted:

that would require anyone remembering John Sublime existing and being the secret backbone of Morrison's entire X-Men run

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Sublime's existence is this looming presence in the background of Morrison's run that makes it less good as a whole to me, like Whedon is with his own run

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Magneto is not a good person, and Claremont rehabbing a guy who repeatedly tried to subjugate or destroy the human race is a bit of a stretch.

Or maybe I’m just mad at Claremont because I just read Uncanny X-Men #183 this morning, and despite it being a well written issue, all the X-Men being totally cool with Kitty (14) and Colossus (19) having feelings for each other is real gross. Wolverine wasn’t trying to hurt Colossus for creeping on a fourteen year old, he was mad that Colossus shacked up with someone on Battleworld, and wasn’t taking things seriously enough with Kitty.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Open Marriage Night posted:

Magneto is not a good person, and Claremont rehabbing a guy who repeatedly tried to subjugate or destroy the human race is a bit of a stretch.

I think my problem with this is you can use the same argument that Claremont turned Jean into something other than the subject of all the other characters' male gaze. "I don't see why she is being brave and confident! Please refer to a worse version of her from the Lee-Kirby run!" Magneto as a one-dimensional comic villain is bad like all one-dimensional comic villains and Claremont (mostly) fixed that, history be-damned.

Making a character more interesting is what a good writer does. In a continuity-based medium, there will likely be inconsistencies and some suspension of belief about accepting the new status quo (see: Krakoa), so I'm not concerned with that. But when writers take years of good character development and growth (Magneto spends years in New Mutants trying to earn the kids' trust! Kids!) and throw it all away because they need a recognizable one-dimensional comic villain... gently caress that!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Or maybe I’m just mad at Claremont because I just read Uncanny X-Men #183 this morning, and despite it being a well written issue, all the X-Men being totally cool with Kitty (14) and Colossus (19) having feelings for each other is real gross. Wolverine wasn’t trying to hurt Colossus for creeping on a fourteen year old, he was mad that Colossus shacked up with someone on Battleworld, and wasn’t taking things seriously enough with Kitty.

I wouldn't say Magneto is a completely good person either.

You should be able to understand why he resorts to extreme methods, depending on the situation, but the man is definitely guilty of a lot of crimes.

Even in the current Krakoa status quo, which has most mutants sharing the basic aims of his ideology in some ways, he's hardly an innocent person.

Dawgstar posted:

If it helps Byrne thought Magneto didn't need nuance and tried to make him just a super-villain again. It didn't work because late stage Byrne is terrible and also so was the idea.

Byrne has said that he didn't like how Claremont was turning Magneto into Dr. Doom, so yes...he wanted them to go back to a simpler portrayal.

Incidentally, Dr. Doom is another villain who also works best when there is at least some degree of ambiguity involved, not only total megalomania.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Sublime's existence is this looming presence in the background of Morrison's run that makes it less good as a whole to me, like Whedon is with his own run

I don't see what the problem people have with Sublime is. "Bacteria that predates complex life hates evolution because it just wants everything to stay stagnant" is a great villain for a team of superheroes whose whole gimmick is being the next stage of evolution. And it fits great with the whole theme across Morrison's run about how Mutants aren't going to be the only new species that wants to inherit Earth from Homo Sapiens.
People take that line where he talks about fostering racism against mutants completely wrong. He's not saying that racism is caused by mind control. He's talking about how he was using things like the U-Men and Magneto to fan the flames. People fanning the flames of racism to further their own agenda is literally something we see in real life all the time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought Colossus was like 16, he was just a large adult son so it was easy to take him for older. I know the ages have bounced around though, but that was my impression circa Dark Phoenix Saga.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm fairly certain he was at least 18. I know they aged kitty up real quick, I think the two of them get real cozy during the brood arc and she's mentioned being 15. It's not great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

I thought Colossus was like 16, he was just a large adult son so it was easy to take him for older. I know the ages have bounced around though, but that was my impression circa Dark Phoenix Saga.

Kitty Pride runs into a lot of issues with age-inappropriate romances because she is one of the primary victims of Comics Time. At least it isn't Warren Ellis' creepshit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ImpAtom posted:

Kitty Pride runs into a lot of issues with age-inappropriate romances because she is one of the primary victims of Comics Time. At least it isn't Warren Ellis' creepshit.
At least it was Satan's stepdaughter making the inappropriate suggestion in this one. :negative:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm fairly certain he was at least 18. I know they aged kitty up real quick, I think the two of them get real cozy during the brood arc and she's mentioned being 15. It's not great.

He tells the bartender he’s nearly twenty when asked for his ID. The drinking age was 19 until later that year. Kitty mentions being 14 in the same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

galagazombie posted:

"Other people were writing terrible stories so I did the same thing but turned it up to eleven" isn't really a great excuse.

(And Morrison's run already had Cassandra Nova as a genocidal supervillain who's seemingly motivated by nothing other than evil, so it's not like his take on Magneto really brought anything new to the table, even in the context of his own work...)