Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

yes, those 7 thousand weirdos will keep voting eachother off the fall guy island until there is an elite council of only the most loyal left. Epic isn't investing to grab the disloyal hipsters who would just as soon play another game if it were more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fall Guys looked to have a similar trajectory as Rocket League, a game that dropped from 100k+ players to sub 30k every 6 months as the hype over the latest release died but the hardcore players stuck around.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Might have to crack open Apple Arcade for the Mistwalker game

I have an Apple TV too so

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

It's insanely cool!!

I'm hoping the Apple Arcade exclusivity is real short or an iPhone just magically appears in my hands when it comes out, one or the other

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Harrow posted:

Back to the new Mistwalker game real quick: I didn't catch that the environments are actually hand-crafted dioramas, as in they were physically built in real life

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1366805251827900418?s=20

That's unbelievably cool.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wonder if the environments in Fantasian were worked on by the team that did the stop motion in Takeshi and Hiroshi.

https://youtu.be/MmtU4vduKtk

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

Back to the new Mistwalker game real quick: I didn't catch that the environments are actually hand-crafted dioramas, as in they were physically built in real life

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1366805251827900418?s=20

this is the kind of photorealism i can get behind

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

stev posted:

I just remembered I have an Apple Arcade iPad trial. Are there any actually interesting games on there that I can't find in my infinite Steam backlog? This one might be the first I actually try out.
Depends on what genres you're into...

Must-play regardless of genre is Sayonara Wild Hearts, I love that game

Action:
Cat Quest II
The Pathless (Abzu dev)
Oceanhorn 2 (don't expect BOTW here, this is just a marginally better Oceanhorn from third-person perspective and more story)
Pinball Wizard
Spidersaurs (Contra 4 dev)
Bleak Sword

Platformer:
Inmost
Neversong
Shantae & the Seven Sirens
Shinsekai: Into the Depths
Little Orpheus (Everybody's Gone to the Rapture dev)

Adventure/Story:
Alba: A Wildlife Adventure (Monument Valley dev)
Creaks (Machinarium/Botanicula dev)
Guildlings
Jenny LeClue
Mutazione
Spyder (Sumo Digital)
Tangle Tower

Puzzle:
A Monster's Expedition (Good Snowman is Hard to Build dev)
Assemble with Care (Monument Valley dev)
ChuChu Rocket Universe (Sega)
Down in Bermuda
The Last Campfire (No Man's Sky dev)
Manifold Garden
Where Cards Fall (Blaseball dev)
Grindstone (Below/STFU dev)

Walking Sim/VN:
The Bradwell Conspiracy
Discolored
NecroBarista
Neo Cab
Takeshi and Hiroshi
World's End Club (not finished yet, 999/VLR creator teaming up with Danganronpa creator)

my favorite games are Sayonara Wild Hearts, Tangle Tower, Jenny LeClue, NecroBarista (note: it's a purely kinetic VN), and Inmost.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 2, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i really appreciate the artistry of a lot of apple arcade games, but i ultimately unsubscribed because picking an apple arcade game to play feels a lot like picking what kind of pictures i want to look at while i poke them. most of them do not have particularly involved gameplay

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I've been really looking forward to Fantasian for a long time, will be happy to finally do the apple arcade trial for it. And try out some other stuff like Various Daylife while I'm at it.

I was pretty nervous for mistalker after Terra Battle 2 and Terra Wars flopped disastrously, I hope this works out for them. I guess the Apple funding is pretty decent!

... god drat Last Story was 9 years ago. I'd give a lot for a remaster/sequel of that one. Well, I guess I'd give $60, which is the standard amount.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I would insta-buy a port of Lost Odyssey to PC and/or modern consoles

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

If you're getting an Apple trial for Fantasian... play Grindstone and What the Golf too

Weedle
May 31, 2006

there is a weird mobile game that i really like called "triglav." it feels souls-inspired but it's almost 20 years old, so maybe it inspired the souls games instead. it seems kind of like a roguelike but isn't, although it does have permadeath. you're traversing the floors of this tower fighting enemies, talking to npcs, and solving puzzles. communication is non-verbal and many npcs will request items that you don't recognize or know where to find, but if you remember where they were when you do find them you can bring them back for rewards, sometimes significant ones. combat is simple but fairly challenging, and if you get killed you can use one of an assortment of items you find to avoid permadeath, but these items also have unique effects during gameplay so it can be tough to decide what to burn. the levels of the tower are hand-crafted, visually compelling, and fun to explore. you'll come across cryptic signs and sigils whose purposes aren't immediately apparent, but as you become more familiar with the game world you'll start seeing relationships between things in different areas. i really thought it was just going to be a simple, spooky action game but it's much more than that. highly recommended and free. one of the most uniquely enjoyable mobile games i have ever come across

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/triglav/id1410545078
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SmokymonkeyS.Triglav

Weedle fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 2, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Pathless is really good but it should probably be played with a controller and on a big screen

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

OoT randomizer update:

I found a whole bunch of keys and a whole bunch of songs but no ocarina to play them on, grabbed a bomb bag so went up Death Mountain, wasted all my bombs chucking them into the jug before I realised it needed to be spinning and I couldn't do that, turned adult and beat Dampe for a bloopee only to get stuck in his grave, tried to do a bunch of tricks and couldn't pull them off and ended up getting a headache. I did get an adult wallet so I'm thinking my best bet now is grind money for sticks and nuts so I can dive into the Deku Tree and swing by Lost Woods for some bomb grottos. The racers make this look so easy :gonk:

You're playing on a significantly harder (or at least, significantly weirder) set of settings than most racers. With keysanity and shuffled songs+ocarina, your path through the world will be a lot more confusing than with the normal race settings. Still completable obviously but you dived into the deep end right off the bat lol

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Most of the Apple Arcade games have made it to the Switch 3 other places. Hoping Fantasian does as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fall Guys got "John Wicked" by Among Us

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

well fall guys shouldn't have killed among us's dog

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weedle posted:

there is a weird mobile game that i really like called "triglav." it feels souls-inspired but it's almost 20 years old, so maybe it inspired the souls games instead. it seems kind of like a roguelike but isn't, although it does have permadeath. you're traversing the floors of this tower fighting enemies, talking to npcs, and solving puzzles. communication is non-verbal and many npcs will request items that you don't recognize or know where to find, but if you remember where they were when you do find them you can bring them back for rewards, sometimes significant ones. combat is simple but fairly challenging, and if you get killed you can use one of an assortment of items you find to avoid permadeath, but these items also have unique effects during gameplay so it can be tough to decide what to burn. the levels of the tower are hand-crafted, visually compelling, and fun to explore. you'll come across cryptic signs and sigils whose purposes aren't immediately apparent, but as you become more familiar with the game world you'll start seeing relationships between things in different areas. i really thought it was just going to be a simple, spooky action game but it's much more than that. highly recommended and free. one of the most uniquely enjoyable mobile games i have ever come across

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/triglav/id1410545078
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SmokymonkeyS.Triglav

thanks weedle imma check it out.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Same that looks cool

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

As well it should have, Among Us as a party game was fast and clean and easy to pick up the basics of. Fall Guys is an overworked tribute to a game show that from what I remember made operating as a party a bit more hassle than it needed to be.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fall Guys was entirely too random and intentionally clumsy to have its main method of unlocks being getting first place finishes

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Time to finally get around to playing FF7R on Hard

Now the real Cloud Strife begins

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

haveblue posted:

Fall Guys was entirely too random and intentionally clumsy to have its main method of unlocks being getting first place finishes

Yeah.

Also the fact they refuse to make it harder for people to troll each other

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

Wait, like overall first place finishes being the primary unlocking method? That's not great.

Simone Magus posted:

Also the fact they refuse to make it harder for people to troll each other

That's good actually.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Goddamn it, I forgot that FF7R doesn't let you select Hard unless you've already beaten the game on Normal

drat it, my save file is in Ireland :(

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

hard mode is balanced around your party being max level so its necessary

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, FF7R's hard mode is explicitly a "designed to challenge a max-level, fully-geared group on NG+" mode.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Ohhhh okay, that's fine then

I'll just replay it twice

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Simone Magus posted:

Goddamn it, I forgot that FF7R doesn't let you select Hard unless you've already beaten the game on Normal

drat it, my save file is in Ireland :(

Did it auto upload to cloud storage?
You should be able to pull it down

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

Did it auto upload to cloud storage?
You should be able to pull it down

I turned cloud storage off long ago, so long I can't remember why I turned it off lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Simone Magus posted:

I turned cloud storage off long ago, so long I can't remember why I turned it off lol

The real cloud strife

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

You're playing on a significantly harder (or at least, significantly weirder) set of settings than most racers. With keysanity and shuffled songs+ocarina, your path through the world will be a lot more confusing than with the normal race settings. Still completable obviously but you dived into the deep end right off the bat lol

It sounded more fun that way!

Update: Instead of going straight to the Deku Tree I went to Dodongo's to clear as an adult and was rewarded for my choice with the hookshot :toot: I switched back to child Link and zipped down Zora's River which got me the red tunic and then went to clear out Deku Tree although I had to stop at B1 when I realised the floor skip was beyond me. The plan now is to do the Death Mountain checks and then dip into Fire Temple to see how far I can progress through that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wish you luck doing keysanity on your very first seed

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

I wish you luck doing keysanity on your very first seed

I will fly where no goon has gone before :patriot:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How many good games has Mistwalker made? I haven't actually played any (Mistwalker games, good or bad)?

Yesterday I was randomly reminded of ASH when I was reading an old games blog. I remember hoping it would get a localization. Looking at it today, it has pretty art, but in game looks really cruddy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Who else is old enough to remember that when you checked out the PC game shelf at Software Etc, sometimes you would see a really weird package that looked more like a modern art piece than a box with a disc in it?

It was probably the work of this guy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

How many good games has Mistwalker made? I haven't actually played any (Mistwalker games, good or bad)?

The only one I've actually played is Lost Odyssey and it's extremely good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Super Metroid is crazy, I keep thinking I'm basically done with the game but it looks like I actually have a bunch of crap left to unlock in the status screen. Got the gravity suit last night and found this whole new zone. Also Crateria has the weirdest music in the game, it's like an RPGMaker2000 jingle for a triumphant castle town or something, like, it's very jaunty and a little regal. Really, could slap this in a jRPG after a boss fight for the victory walk home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx4Gsp5rcwM

Do speedrunners skip these parts or do I just tune out by then, Maridia sounds made up but I'm here.

I haven't even run into the super metroids yet!

It's occurring to me that "metroidvania" as a genre really has "vania" doing all the heavy lifting. Not thinking of any metroidvania I've played that actually leaned more towards the metroid part. I reckon Supraland to some extent has some 3d metroidy feels. Not like Prime feels, but 3d metroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Harrow posted:

The only one I've actually played is Lost Odyssey and it's extremely good.

Lost Odyssey is ace, def a forgotten classic