Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I love how our Ledge tries so hard to not get a loving thing done

loving wow, it just came on during the local NPR KUT Broadcast. :laffo:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Now maybe I just don't know because I didn't go to UT but I suspect that the boosters care very much more about the players/students not knowing their place and having any input whatsoever into how the program is run more than the boosters actually care about the song.

Pretty much this. It is a generational thing and being upset about changes. Also, most of the people quoted graduated in the 60s, and the football program did not desegregate until 1970. It is also extremely tied to GOP messaging about cancel culture and any opposing any changes that threaten tradition.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/health/amp/Houston-is-first-city-to-record-all-major-COVID-15990299.php

quote:

A new study found that Houston is the nation’s first city to record every major variant of the novel coronavirus, a development that one local infectious disease expert called “disquieting” amid the region’s push to reach herd immunity through widespread vaccinations.
“The numbers of the major variants we have identified in our large sequencing study are disquieting,” said Dr. James Musser, who leads the team of experts at Houston Methodist Hospital behind the new study. “The genome data indicate that these important variants are now geographically widely distributed in the Houston metropolitan region.”

There's no denying that Houston is one of the most international cities in the US.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hell yea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwJg4hD5nRI

:smug:

:drowninlungjuice:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Blotto_Otter posted:

I didn't go to UT but I know a whole lot of types of college football fans, and I suspect it's both of these elements, in a way that’s hard to separate from one another. A whole lot of people think that a set of traditions they grew up with is a substitute for a personal identity, and if you point out that maybe one of those traditions is problematic and has a racist origin story, they perceive it as an attack on their identity. It's not intended as such, but that's how people respond when they unquestioningly pin their identity to traditions. (And of course, some of them respond even worse if they're aging white boomers with a head full of implicitly or explicitly racist notions and resent any questions being asked of them by black people. But stupid fights over questionable traditions like these are not exclusive to traditions with racist connotations.)

I had to google what the eyes or whatever were and all this poo poo is like reading about some completely alien culture from a different planet. People who get super into colleges are insanely loving weird that's my hot take for the day thanks for coming to my TED talk.

fakeedit: also the song is bad get better music for your nerd-cult

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

We did it guys, we caught ‘em all and completed our CoviDex

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who can forget when Texas declared independence in the middle of the Civil War

https://twitter.com/FoxForceFlacco/status/1366465708142456832

Uh if Wolf Brand Chili is still the official bowl of Texas that's something the Legislature should look at. Especially given the Capitol's proximity to the Chili Parlor

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 2, 2021

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

Uh if Wolf Brand Chili is still the official bowl of Texas that's something the Legislature should look at. Especially given the Capitol's proximity to the Chili Parlor

This would only be the, what, 27th most ridiculous topic for the Legislature to take up this session?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

Who can forget when Texas declared independence in the middle of the Civil War

185 years ago was 1836 tho?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The really weird thing about typing 1863 instead of 1836 is that instead of being 185 years ago, the graphic represents 158 years ago. It's like a recursive typo.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hmm, I wonder what happened in 1830 that Texas would want to declare independence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mattysino/status/1366662675564883978

:hmmyes:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Of course Texas encompasses almost all of the terrible parts and Florida still out-does us in being terrible

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Abbott's been touting "good news" at a 1:30 presser in Lubbock today, which everyone assumes will be announcing the end of the mask mandate. I think it's dumb but I also think everyone who is wearing a mask now will continue wearing them, tbh I forgot we were under a state mandate because there's zero enforcement.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/by_jmiller/status/1366837895282253825

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 2, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Spike four let's go

e: fwiw 1 in 6 people in Lubbock have been infected. That's more than twice Houston's percentage and double NYC despite being far less dense than either. Good choice for the announcement

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 2, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Good god.

I’m lucky I guess, got my 2nd dose of vaccine today.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's really mad that the GOP has gone gaga for DeSantis

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What did happen in the middle of January that made new cases and deaths drop so suddenly?

Like Jan 16 had 20.5k new cases confirmed for that day. On Feb 28 it was 2.9k.

Is it just the trailing lag in processing after getting ice blasted?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

What did happen in the middle of January that made new cases and deaths drop so suddenly?

Like Jan 16 had 20.5k new cases confirmed for that day. On Feb 28 it was 2.9k.

Is it just the trailing lag in processing after getting ice blasted?

Thanksgiving and Christmas.

https://twitter.com/Jordanfabian/status/1366839152633929728

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My sympathies, Texas goons. :rip:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is

is this right

https://twitter.com/Politics1com/status/1366800913847885831

edit whoa

https://www.businessinsider.com/texas-ex-staffer-died-by-suicide-outside-gop-congresswomans-home-2021-2

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Official "gently caress You, Got Mine" can he be prosecuted by the Feds for low key condemning people to die???

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/02/greg-abbott-texas-announcement/

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jiro posted:

Official "gently caress You, Got Mine" can he be prosecuted by the Feds for low key condemning people to die???

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/02/greg-abbott-texas-announcement/

lol no

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

So like the rest of us, I look forward to dying gasping for air in a convention center, but can counties still impose a mandate or is he going to gently caress us ALL?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

IT BURNS posted:

So like the rest of us, I look forward to dying gasping for air in a convention center, but can counties still impose a mandate or is he going to gently caress us ALL?

My reading is that business can now operate freely, which implies counties being barred from making further mandates.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

smoobles posted:

My reading is that business can now operate freely, which implies counties being barred from making further mandates.

That is almost certainly the case.

There is something about if Covid hospitalizations exceed 15% of available bed capacity* for seven days then nebulous other measures can be enacted, but hospitalizations is only slightly less of a lagging indicator than deaths.

*note that this is based off total hospital bed capacity, not beds suitable for treating Covid patients or even the number of beds which are fully staffed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IT BURNS posted:

Businesses can do as they like, counties can impose restrictions if they reach a threshold of covid accounting for 15% of hospital capacity for seven days

That's where we're at right now, though this is broken out by trauma service areas rather than county lines.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 2, 2021

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cool looks like I'm going to lie to get the vaccine now instead of waiting. Lol sorry olds but you did this to yourselves by voting this stupid gently caress into office.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so what's the easier lie to go for for the vaccine, say I'm fatter than I am or use my obvious homosexuality and say I've got an immune system issue, they weighing people in or checking t-cells?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

so what's the easier lie to go for for the vaccine, say I'm fatter than I am or use my obvious homosexuality and say I've got an immune system issue, they weighing people in or checking t-cells?

They absolutely do not check anything so say whatever.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I have high blood pressure is all it takes if they even ask

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Asthma.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
They asked me "are you over 65?"

Me: "no"

Them: "Do you have an underlying condition."

Me: "Yes"

Them: "Go on in"

And I got both doses of the vaccine (not at once).

EDIT: I do actually have asthma but they asked for literally nothing else as proof

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

zoux posted:

They absolutely do not check anything so say whatever.

This is my experience as well. I got vaccinated through Comal County and no one asked a drat thing except on the form you filled out, which basically asked if you qualified as 1B or whatever. I was probably the youngest person there today by 15 years (and I'm 40) and no one said a drat word, not even a funny look.

If you can get a slot, take it and don't feel bad about it for one second.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the BMI requirements account for like a full third of Texans anyway.

There is likely to be a rush now. Also, I'll point out that I know of a lot of people who went and stayed with friends/family who had working power during the storm, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see cases starting to spike again next week.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

George H.W. oval office posted:

Cool looks like I'm going to lie to get the vaccine now instead of waiting. Lol sorry olds but you did this to yourselves by voting this stupid gently caress into office.

Don't feel bad about this.

I'm actively urging my family members to "bend the truth" and get the vaccine ASAP, because of Greg loving Abbott.

If Texas is becoming an unsafe place to live, the only ethical move is to protect yourself and your loved ones.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
In some places, they are literally throwing out vaccines because they spoil before enough people can get vaccinated. I went in the Panhandle when I found out they were actively soliciting more people to go, and they have been well supplied for some time.

Don't feel bad, get the vaccine and surrender to bill gates and satan protect the olds with your immunity.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

zoux posted:

Also, I'll point out that I know of a lot of people who went and stayed with friends/family who had working power during the storm, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see cases starting to spike again next week.

My business partner had to take in his brother who lost power and that's exactly how he got COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That dumb rear end in a top hat really is trying to kill us all, huh