Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
You know, that guy from Labyrinth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Vile Stuff posted:

I'm 35 and I only play Omikron: The Nomad Soul starring wuzzah wuzzah David Bowie

Well, if you are going to play only a game, one that it's a eclectic blend of several genres is a decent choice!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, if you are going to play only a game, one that it's a eclectic blend of several genres is a decent choice!

This is why I have only played True Crime: Streets of LA since 2004

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's not news but I discovered this this PSX Doom mod last night and it's pretty cool. I've never played PSX Doom before, but it has a very similar ambience to Doom 64 with a darker overall feel, colored lights, and the same sound effects. Plus the Ultimate Doom maps are slightly (in some cases heavily) modified and often redone with Doom 2 textures and enemies.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Vile Stuff posted:

You know, that guy from Labyrinth

You remind me of the babe.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

A.o.D. posted:

I'm in the same boat. I figure that nostalgia for Doom64 is that since it was on console, it was the first "Doom" for a lot of people. So the demons and the colored lighting and filtered textures look right, and the echoey sounds and barely present soundtrack sound right. It's the same reason why a lot of people think that Goldeneye is a good game.

i used to think this about people who insisted upon the aesthetic superiority of PSX Doom. I grew up on a copy of the original shareware and didn't even know that Doom 64 was a thing until I was poking around the community in college and found the Absolution TC but i could not get into it back then. When I played Doom 64 for my ONEMANDOOM review back in 2019 i fell in love with it. but - i can see why it is not universally loved.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

A.o.D. posted:

You remind me of the babe.

Aw, thanks :biglips:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm 33 (!) and I distinctly remember my parents being militant about no Mature rated games or similar TV (no Simpsons for me).

Our neighbor let me play Wolfenstein 3d on his work laptop one weekend and he had reams of hand-drawn level maps on graphing paper.

I also had a cousin 5 years older who showed me Doom on SNES.

I DID successfully lobby my parents to let me play Perfect Dark though.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

cuc posted:

Depending on whether you want to expand your user base to RTS modders, you may consider adding options for bimetric perspective and 32 angles (supported by StarCraft Remastered & Age of Empires Definitive Edition) :D

I'm not familiar with bimetric perspective (Google's not pulling up helpful results) but 32 angles would be feasible. The cameras in the camera rig can already be tilted down to provide an isometric angled view, so that'd fit nicely! Do you know if there's special conventions for naming the sprites used in SC:R or AOE:DE?

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I'm afraid I really, really hate the last few levels of smej2. Compulsory jumping puzzles under very tight timing and overuse of those annoying exploding flying wizard things from one of the expansion packs.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I finished the Prodeus campaign and I was beyond disappointed when I got the super shotgun. My big issue with the regular shotgun is that it has no spread so I could only kill one trash enemy with it. Was hoping that when I found the SSG I could clear out groups of the low enemies. Nope. Still can only reliably kill one zombie dude with it unless I position myself just so like im fighting the marauder so that the spread can hit maybe 2 zombie guys. And not kill either.

I'm not really thrilled with any of the Prodeus weapons so far, none are particularly fun to use and some, like the minigun and the plasma gun, cause so many of the over the top effects to pop off I'm literally firing blind when using them.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Advertising *shrug*

Also I'm sure it's just a weird coincidence that the Fryer Leg Quarters looks like a mouse-hand.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

90s game ads were wonderful.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/HalfLifeComic/status/1366728415945048065

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao

https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/1366488995018928130?s=20

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

:allears:

https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/1366838133333975043?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you were to, say, have no idea what that game is or who that jaffe guy is what's the joke here

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

David Jaffe is a AAA-game designer/director that did the new God of War, and Cruelty Squad is an immersive-sim indie game on turbo-acid. He's basically making GBS threads on and bragging about refunding a $20 steam game that just got a sudden following.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

site posted:

If you were to, say, have no idea what that game is or who that jaffe guy is what's the joke here

Cruelty Squad is a really weird immersive sim FPS that kinda defies accurate description - Gloomwood dev has been talking it up on Twitter and DUSK's dev streamed it whenever I linked his stream. Folks have been bugging Civvie to make a video on it:

https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1363848700137779203?s=20
https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1364901078806892546?s=20

Jaffe was the director of a bunch of the Twisted Metal games and Gods of War. The funniest part is he actually describes what the game is in that refund thing but acts like he didn't get it. Also pretty funny to act like all the people singing the game's praises are trolling.

According to replies he didn't even get through the tutorial and called it a Unity asset flip.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 2, 2021

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Groovelord Neato posted:

a Unity asset flip.

Now, see, I couldn't care less if this guy didn't like the game or whatever. I probably do not like the game.

But asset flip?

Its hideous ugliness is clearly the product of a singular vision, executed on with painstaking love and care.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/946852470352838656

Weedle
May 31, 2006

uh oh!

https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/1124464764942372864

uh oh!!!!!

https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/1136840068738367488

boy this guy plays the hits

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Jaffe's also said some loving stupid stuff about crunch on his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIWluXcxkKI

I called him out on what were some major mistakes but I'm not holding my breath I'll get anything honest back, he seems pretty chuddy.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

According to replies he didn't even get through the tutorial and called it a Unity asset flip.

Someone can not simply flip assets and have them land into anything that comes close to that mess you have to use effort and work to make something like cruelty squad. There was some doom and HL mods that had a similar feeling.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
David Jaffe is OVER.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cancelled

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGaFOD1JbXw

He's whining about Twitter and saying he's being trolled.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if this was posted but I found this just too wholesome :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEx0sAasCxA

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doom is fun and good.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Doom is fun and good.

:yeah:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Doom is fun and good.

Even Doom 3.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hasturtium posted:

Even Doom 3.

Yup. I didn’t like it at first but now I do enjoy how the guns feel (even the shotgun).

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Big Scary Owl posted:

Not sure if this was posted but I found this just too wholesome :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEx0sAasCxA

Adorbs.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I'm working down the list of Final Doomer weapon sets + megaWAD combos and I just started JPCP tonight, at first I wasn't very into it because the shotgun sucks, but it turns out that combo'ing the burst fire assault rifle debuff into a running beam katana quickdraw slash is absolutely sick as gently caress

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

LvK posted:

I'm working down the list of Final Doomer weapon sets + megaWAD combos and I just started JPCP tonight, at first I wasn't very into it because the shotgun sucks, but it turns out that combo'ing the burst fire assault rifle debuff into a running beam katana quickdraw slash is absolutely sick as gently caress

Yeah, it takes a bit for it to really click, but then the JCPC set is great. I wish the Whitemare set was more like it, it feels like it's trying something similar but doesn't quite nail it, I think. I think the BtSX set is my personal favourite, the AA set is nice but I think it's harder to find a good map set that goes well with it.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Is there a hard limit on how many weapons can be in a Doom mod these days? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for some of the larger weapon packs out there, no matter how dumb? I wanted to show my brother some but I deleted my modded Doom directly apparently.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Bushmaori posted:

Is there a hard limit on how many weapons can be in a Doom mod these days? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for some of the larger weapon packs out there, no matter how dumb? I wanted to show my brother some but I deleted my modded Doom directly apparently.

That depends on what you define as a Doom mod. A traditional Doom mod with dehacked (which is supported by everything including native support in the official port) can only redefine what already exists, so technically the limit remains at 9 no matter what. A ZDoom specific mod doesn't abide by the same rules and you will run out of memory before you reach any kind of actual limit of weapons defined.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Bushmaori posted:

Russian Overkill has an insane amount of weapons. Even has input combos like in fighting games to do special moves.

Also that everything is shotguns weapon pack that one is also absurd

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

verbal enema posted:

Russian Overkill has an insane amount of weapons. Even has input combos like in fighting games to do special moves.

Also that everything is shotguns weapon pack that one is also absurd

The name of the shotguns mod is bullshit. "Too many shotguns"? What utter nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

There's never too many shotguns.