Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Super Metroid is crazy, I keep thinking I'm basically done with the game but it looks like I actually have a bunch of crap left to unlock in the status screen. Got the gravity suit last night and found this whole new zone. Also Crateria has the weirdest music in the game, it's like an RPGMaker2000 jingle for a triumphant castle town or something, like, it's very jaunty and a little regal. Really, could slap this in a jRPG after a boss fight for the victory walk home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx4Gsp5rcwM

Do speedrunners skip these parts or do I just tune out by then, Maridia sounds made up but I'm here.

I haven't even run into the super metroids yet!

It's occurring to me that "metroidvania" as a genre really has "vania" doing all the heavy lifting. Not thinking of any metroidvania I've played that actually leaned more towards the metroid part. I reckon Supraland to some extent has some 3d metroidy feels. Not like Prime feels, but 3d metroid.

The term metroidvania was coined to describe castlevania's move towards metroid by adopting the same gated power up structure.
It was not coined to describe a genre at the time so it will be awkward in modern usage for anyone trying to etymologize it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

haveblue posted:

Who else is old enough to remember that when you checked out the PC game shelf at Software Etc, sometimes you would see a really weird package that looked more like a modern art piece than a box with a disc in it?

It was probably the work of this guy

yes! thanks, another thing my brain hasn't thought about in decades. there was also the less fancy but still enticing packaging with foldable front covers, with extra screenshots or info inside. browsing chunky software boxes as a kid was a magical experience.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rinkles posted:

How many good games has Mistwalker made? I haven't actually played any (Mistwalker games, good or bad)?

Yesterday I was randomly reminded of ASH when I was reading an old games blog. I remember hoping it would get a localization. Looking at it today, it has pretty art, but in game looks really cruddy.

the last story is very cool, the controls and battle system are kinda weird but mesh together to create a pretty dynamic feel, your party members are all a lot of fun (even if the hero is as bland as unbuttered toast), and it's one of those rpgs that takes place around one city so the setting gets nice and fleshed out by the end of the game. also the soundtrack slaps

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/OnionGamers/status/1366806780446199814

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Oh no it is a full moon, I have turned into an Aliens videogame apologist again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1GRp19A89A

Awoooo

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
If only they had made Natural Selection an aliens game it'd be perfect

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
every mp fps that comes out that isn't a new take on natural selection, savage, or science and industry is a garbage waste of time

though i did play that savage reboot that came out a few years ago and i think it had players for maybe a week

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone remember GIANTS: citizen kabuto?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jay Rust posted:

Still have the game disc somewhere, I think.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jay Rust posted:

Man that was a weird weird game but it ruled, one of the stalwarts of the £5 Sold Out Software range

I remember not liking it as much after you stopped controlling the little space dudes with jetpacks though

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
While we are mentioning classic early 2000's PC Games Sacrifice ruled, man that game had some of THE BEST voice acting

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I could never handle 3D graphics of that era

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Sacrifice is cool as poo poo and action rts is extremely underexplored, yes this is a Brutal Legend defense post

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Always wanted to try Brutal Legend but I think I should try Sacrifice again first. As a kid I was so excited to buy it, the box made it seem so cool I don't even remember why but I loved the whole concept. I never got very far though, I would get steamrolled sometimes and I wasn't sure how always to win or manage all my everything. I may have also kept pleasing the wrong god, which in hindsight might have just me not being self aware of my actions or tendencies yet.

Manahoars

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sacrifice was great. It was one of the first games I had ever seen that used dynamic terrain deformation as an actually effective mechanic. There were, for example, spells that existed just do drop a section of the map into the netherworld and the "effect" of the spell, such as it were, consisted of an instant kill against anything that wasn't capably of flying by physically dropping them into the void. It was such a cool and novel concept at the time.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I loved Sacrifice to the point that I had a savegame for each branch you could take through the campaign, which forked a lot.

This was also the way to customize your spellbook for multiplayer, as I recall. You'd get new spells from the god you worked for, and if you switched between them your spellbook would have more variety. Otherwise you were stuck with all spells of a specific god in mp.

Bovine Intervention was overpowered.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think the last computer game I bought was Quest for Glory IV. Those games ruled.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Walla posted:

I think the last computer game I bought was Quest for Glory IV. Those games ruled.

Does that tag line have any relation to the actual game? I thought the quests were run of the mill adventure games

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i mean, they were definitely fun-filled adventures

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Does that tag line have any relation to the actual game? I thought the quests were run of the mill adventure games
They're actually RPG/point'n'click adventure hybrids. You can learn spells, fight monsters, use potions, etc. in addition to the more typical adventure game stuff.

But no, you don't really particularly get to make your own rules.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

a lot of the puzzles usually have multiple solutions too, depending on what skills your character has to solve them

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's one of the biggest differences between QfG and standard adventure games. All those RPG mechanics actually matter to how you resolve certain adventure game elements.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

neat. my one encounter with the series was when i was six or so, and got lost in a forest right away.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that's one of the biggest differences between QfG and standard adventure games. All those RPG mechanics actually matter to how you resolve certain adventure game elements.

Yeah this. It's not particularly deep by today's standards, but nearly each class had content that was unique to them so there were certain things only a wizard or thief or paladin could see and do. Also your character carried over between games. Hell, you could only be a paladin by having a good aligned character from a previous game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The FFX/FF13 talk was like 15 hours ago but I want to chime in that despite the fact that I HATE a lot about FFX, I think the setting is one of the best parts and they do a very good job of trying to visually and contextually distinguish some kind of geography. I could tell you exactly in what order the zones take place in because the game always does a good job of connecting all of the levels visually. Like, even when specific zones are pretty different, like when Macalania Woods, a thick forest, opens up into whatever the ice zone is called, there's like a full screen of the trees slowly dying out and the path icing over, which is more work than most games do. That being said, the parts where it does a bad job stand out that much more - after the scene where you get Shiva and you fall "under the ice" but you're not underwater I have no idea what's going on there, and then you get magically teleported to Home while Yuna gets teleported somewhere completely different that is a million miles away.

FF13 doesn't work on explaining what the places you're in are actually for and how they relate to each other and so every single transition from one zone to another is your characters jumping on a train or a plane or a flying mech or something and teleporting between setpieces. It doesn't feel like a fleshed-out world where the devs thought about, or even cared, how these places existed with regards to geography or how the people in-fiction would have gotten to and from each of these places and is just a series of disconnected interiors, meanwhile FFX takes place almost entirely on a road where you're constantly meeting other people who are also traveling from town-to-town.

I will say though that there would be ways to make FFX less linear while still being a pilgrimage. Even in-fiction there are multiple routes you could take to complete it, with the main party starting in Besaid but Yuna's dad started in Bevelle, with Besaid I think being one of the last places they visited (at least this is the fiction the game presents, if they retconned this in the ultimania or something that everyone takes the same route then that's dumb but possible)

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

You could also carry your character's file over between games in the Quest for Glory series.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also it was all one story. Your character in IV was the same as the guy from the first game and it was assumed you had played them all.

May 8, 2006

quest for glory: the original mass effect?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In a lot of ways, it really was.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

qfg3 is one of the most powerfully aesthetic adventure games of the era, also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85NktoZqMO4

right up there with rise of the dragon and under a killing moon

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Bombchu Bowling had Din's Fire and the Boomerang :stare:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

then you get magically teleported to Home while Yuna gets teleported somewhere completely different that is a million miles away.

I appreciate the writer trickery in X of 'how do we move our characters to the next plot point? gently caress it let's just make Sin move them through monster magic'

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Rarity posted:

Bombchu Bowling had Din's Fire and the Boomerang :stare:

I appreciate the writer trickery in X of 'how do we move our characters to the next plot point? gently caress it let's just make Sin move them through monster magic'

My favorite writer's lazy plot point is inventing the whole "being around Sin makes you confused" and that excuse only exists for Tidus and you never see it happen to a single person

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

gently caress yeah

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Had missed that a week ago, Bioware officially announced that they are abandoning Anthem, the game will not receive its 2.0 update and all future updates have been canceled.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My favorite writer's lazy plot point is inventing the whole "being around Sin makes you confused" and that excuse only exists for Tidus and you never see it happen to a single person

I dont think this is canon but I like to imagine that a whole lot more people than Tidus and Jecht have come out of dream zanarkand and all have similar stories about encountering Sin which leads people to assume Sin is causing their amnesia

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Good things: I got the iron boots and slingshot in the space of 5 seconds
Bad things: The Ocarina is locked behind 40 skulltullas :negative:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Relax Or DIE posted:

every mp fps that comes out that isn't a new take on natural selection, savage, or science and industry is a garbage waste of time

though i did play that savage reboot that came out a few years ago and i think it had players for maybe a week

Also for me add The Opera, Action Quake/Half-Life, Sven Co-op and Neo Tokyo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Maquette review: It's okay-ish. The story is really meh, it's just about this couple that falls in love then falls out of love, which changes from saccharine to grating. The puzzles aren't all that either, half of them are variations of "make things bigger or smaller so they fit", it's not until the very last level that the recursive nature of the level is actually used in clever ways. But the game is really pretty. Not sure it's worth the full price, but if you got a PS5 you can get it for free with PS+ so give it a spin. Or just wait for a discount.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's a running joke because Tidus is kind of a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

i am enjoying "lonely mountains: downhill" the chill game about cycling down mountain trails