Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Silly Burrito posted:

Also replicators are transporters that make food from poo poo. This is canon from Discovery. :science:

One thing I like about Discovery is that they aren't afraid from addressing these types of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

This is quite a spin on the “you might be a redneck if” line.

If you’ve done a structurally unsound, highly dangerous home renovation without any expertise, you just might be a Grover

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I just want to know how they got the mobile home up there..

Meanwhile, in happier home constuction projects

https://twitter.com/geraldstratfor3/status/1366709765515194368

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

And don't forget Scotty basically keeping himself stuck in a loop for 75 years and then being taken safely out of the beam. Transporters are magical.

And I have been convinced and am in the "they kill you" group now.

But I'd still use them if they existed. Then I'd use that child reversing DNA trick to keep me at 21 forever and just beam myself back to tip top shape. Never get fat or old again.

Yeah as soon as you bring in other episodes and series, the "they kill you" flies out the window, because there's episodes where people are conscious throughout the beaming process and have memory of the experience, which requires a different mechanism than being taken apart atom by atom and then reassembled an arbitrary amount of time later. It's just kinda fun though.

swickles posted:

One thing I like about Discovery is that they aren't afraid from addressing these types of things.

It's a real different vibe for that show, enough so that a lot of people who love trek hate it, and I get that. But if you just abandon 100% of your expectations for what a trek show "should be", it's got some redeeming qualities. I really enjoy most of the acting and direction, scene design, etc., and some of the stories are pretty good too. Their take on the evil alternate universe is pretty chilling, too, which I appreciate.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1366871963449380865?s=20

Into my veins, etc. etc.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Try to make it through the whole thing. I made it to the micrometer and died.

https://twitter.com/HumansNoContext/status/1366491436984721412

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Have a friend posting on social media about how people around here should get vaccinated ASAP even if they don't think they "deserve it" yet compared to other people, then five minutes later I see a local news headline about the city cancelling a bunch of "ineligible" appointments :shrug: Maybe once I hit a lull in this house closing process I'll get me and the missus signed up for them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C-Euro posted:

Have a friend posting on social media about how people around here should get vaccinated ASAP even if they don't think they "deserve it" yet compared to other people, then five minutes later I see a local news headline about the city cancelling a bunch of "ineligible" appointments :shrug: Maybe once I hit a lull in this house closing process I'll get me and the missus signed up for them.

I've signed up at a ton of places locally and gotten like 2 emails/texts confirming that I signed up. It's so painfully obvious that no one was ready to even attempt what they're doing, so I'm on the side of just get shots in arms at this point.

On the other hand my mom is supposed to get her second dose in a week or so and I'm already worried about tracking that down for her. It's not supposed to be a big deal, they'll call and have it ready to go in theory...but yeah. Hard to trust in this particular system.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

This is why I don't like to mess around with electricity.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

GD_American posted:

I'm loving dying at, "Let's measure and see where we are..HGNGGNN"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Leperflesh posted:

we have to go with the theory that there are no souls, you're just the sum of your parts.

Souls are not only real in Star Trek, but they're measurable and often times visible.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

C-Euro posted:

Yeah it’s clear that pretty much no one was ready to accept an undertaking as large as vaccinating almost the entire country in such a short time. I saw a comment in a local news comments section railing against opening the vaccinations to people 60+ when they were 70 and still hadn’t gotten it. I feel ya guy, but the number of vaccinations they had given out had been dropping over the past few weeks so they needed to expand the pool. :shrug: We’re well past aiming for perfect implementation on this.

I have no real expectations of being vaccinated by the end of May - we’ll have the doses available but it’s still going to take a long time to actually get them administered.

GD_American posted:

I love this guy - if you watch some of his videos it’s clear that he knows what he’s doing and is blowing stuff up for fun, but it’s a good bit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GD_American posted:

I watched the whole thing. He tries to shave with an electrical arc (someone else can explain it better) at one point.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

this is like my dream game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6B98KAIyF8

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Souls are not only real in Star Trek, but they're measurable and often times visible.

I just realized there's someone's out there whose life work has been to put together every inconsistency in the Star Trek universe and we just haven't been diligent enough in finding them. God bless that person.

Unless they were Aatrek or Timothy McVeigh or...well, you know it'd be that type of person. So nevermind.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Spoeank posted:

And sometimes horny!

Yes I watched Sub Rosa lately

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I really, really hope this turns out good and not a mess like Colonial Marines was a decade ago. I wanna get my pulse rifle on...

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Alien Isolation was fun

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I generally considered the transporter to be rather like the "phased cloak" in The Pegasus episode. You are locked onto from Point A, then "beamed" from A to B and your phased state returned to normal.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 3, 2021

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

GD_American posted:

this is the hardest i've laughed in a long time

e: oh my god

https://twitter.com/randy_mclovin74/status/1366857461240651778

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 2, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Oh man Bunny Wailer died. Another Jamaican OG gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xo-BCAjMiM

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Isn't like half of Banshee "let's let the the stunt crew go loving buck wild and see what happens"?

Basically yeah. And a bunch of really cool fight choreographers that were allowed to go wild

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

yeah, I'll never touch anything that involves live electricity in this house. I am way too stupid about home improvement stuff to ever allow myself to do that.

Speaking of, my fridge stopped working on Sunday night. Luckily it was cool, but not freezing, so moved all the contents of my fridge to the garage, unplugged it and let it defrost. Turned it on in the morning and noticed it was working again, so something must've froze and thawed that fixed it? Either way, figured something else was probably up gave it a full deep cleaning yesterday, removed the back panel and saw that the thingy was entirely encased in ice. Duct taped a hair dryer off and on for an hour and put it back together and I think it's going to work for awhile longer.

There was also some indescribable nastiness in the back / underside of the fridge. I am presuming some food fell down back there because otherwise it was like a liquified mouse or something, SO IT WAS DEFINITELY SOME LONG DISCARDED BROCCOLI.

Hell yeah.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I just realized there's someone's out there whose life work has been to put together every inconsistency in the Star Trek universe and we just haven't been diligent enough in finding them. God bless that person.

Unless they were Aatrek or Timothy McVeigh or...well, you know it'd be that type of person. So nevermind.

Yeah I'm sure there's a wiki somewhere that represents a hundred thousand nerd hours of star trek obsession but I'm not gonna go google for it

...I do lots of my own electrical work, but a prerequisite is definitely "don't be a clumsy idiot" and being able and willing to carefully read reliable instructions, stop when you are frustrated or confused or see something that doesn't look right, etc. is definitely important.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/doinkpatrol/status/1366759162277994501?s=20

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spoeank posted:

What if Tom Riker showed up because of time fuckery?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1366567598981283842?s=20

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Bill Mauher used to be on ABC?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah, he got poo poo canned for saying the 9/11 hijackers were brave because they were willing to die for their cause.

He also said back in like '94 that giving heroin junkies clean needles to prevent the spread of AIDS was like giving convicted rapists free condoms. Because rape and drug addiction are completely the same thing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah, the show Politically Incorrect. It was the one he had where he made some comments a week after 9/11 and he went to HBO not long after.

efb

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, he got poo poo canned for saying the 9/11 hijackers were brave because they were willing to die for their cause.

Lmao literally that Dril ISIS tweet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lmao literally that Dril ISIS tweet.

yup. He's sucked for almost 3 decades now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bill Maher makes me mad because he has a show that has republicans come on and get legit challenged on their bullshit by his more lefty guests, and he does a decent job of moderating those discussions, and then he turns around with some hosed up hot take like "actually islam is evil" or "let's all vote for hillary" etc. and his smarmy, smug face is just so immensely punchable too. He was also 100% correct about trump and took him seriously as a candidate way before almost anyone else in the media did, which he deserves credit for.

My wife still puts his show on from time to time and I can barely stand to be in the same room with it. It makes her mad too but she still puts it on.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Given that all of America were calling the hijackers cowards, Bill Maher saying they weren't is actually one of the few things he was right about.

That said, given he's truly gone full boomer, and his shtick is to say stupid controversial stuff and not get fired for it (I remind you he said the N-word on air), he's a lovely partisan hack and doesn't need to exist.

Leperflesh posted:

Bill Maher makes me mad because he has a show that has republicans come on and get legit challenged on their bullshit by his more lefty guests, and he does a decent job of moderating those discussions, and then he turns around with some hosed up hot take like "actually islam is evil" or "let's all vote for hillary" etc. and his smarmy, smug face is just so immensely punchable too. He was also 100% correct about trump and took him seriously as a candidate way before almost anyone else in the media did, which he deserves credit for.

My wife still puts his show on from time to time and I can barely stand to be in the same room with it. It makes her mad too but she still puts it on.

My parents watched Real Time a lot during the Bush admin while I was still in high school, because besides The Daily Show and Keith Olbermann, there weren't many TV shows that were actively talking poo poo about Bush.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Nevermind wrong tweet

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Letting a progressive occasionally call out Ann Coulter doesn't make up for poo poo like spending half an hour letting Milo Yiannopoulis spout hateful bullshit about trans people for 20 minutes while nodding sagely.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My in-laws were watching Bill Maher when we were visiting and he had Bret Stephens on right after the bugbed incident. There was some story about Twitter and everyone's take was basically "lol who gets mad at Twitter, are you 14, how is that your deal" loudly and repeatedly while Stephens sat there visibly uncomfortable that they didn't know that that was exactly his deal.

So it's only like 99.99% bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bill Mauher feels like a person who will rant endlessly about cancel culture being out of control. Am I right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bill Mauher feels like a person who will rant endlessly about cancel culture being out of control. Am I right?

Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I thought Maher's remarks about 9/11 were more "Maybe America did deserve it because we're actually kind of lovely to other countries?"

This is coming from unreliable memory of watching that episode of Politically Incorrect live when it all went down.