Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Random Integer posted:

An important cultural touchstone lost like tears in an overcrowded and not terribly clean holiday park swimming pool.

I was so loving jealous of that swimming pool.
My two brothers were part of the community games, so got in free. But myself and another brother weren't, and so had to pay.
But the cost was something astronomical, and my parents couldn't afford to pay for it. So never got to use it.
Me and my younger brother had to watch our two others have the best time in their lives from a lovely canteen.
If you look at the pic of the swimming pool I gave, the black windows on the right were into some canteen area where we sat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the one thing we can guarantee about polls is that they wont be accurate

the libdems have got this one

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Lungboy posted:

Doesn't matter, that's not an eviction notice as only a judge can order an eviction, it's a notice that they will begin court proceedings to evict you. There's currently a massive backlog so it's likely to take years to get to you. It might even be that eviction proceedings are currently on hold due to Covid, I can't remember if that's the case. Finally, there's a very strict set of rules the landlord must follow, and even a small error will make their notice void.

E: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/section_21_eviction/section_21_eviction_process

The 6 month thing tallies but that's not when you are required to leave, that's the first date at which they can apply to a court to begin proceedings.
Legally true, although "years" isn't quite right. Last I heard some courts are operating on normal timelines now, although some yes do have big backlogs.
But a S21 leading to possession is the easiest of all of the court eviction processes and doesn't even need hearings, it's just done on paper. Practically, 6 months should be plenty to find a new place - staying on beyond the expiry of the notice in August is a pretty terrible idea unless it's done out of sheer necessity as it means he's guaranteed to never be able to get a good landlord reference for future places, which just makes life a lot harder.

Lungboy posted:

and you don't need to agree the rent increase either.
If he's on a periodic tenancy (and I suspect he is or will be from April) and the landlord hasn't already raised rent in the last 12 months then this is not correct - he can't refuse a rent increase and he has to pay the increased amount if the landlord raises it (as long as the landlord either does it via the statutory route or via a process set out in the contract if there is one). He can challenge it as "unreasonable" via a tribunal but as long as it is not some astronomical raise and is within the ballpark of market rates in the area then that challenge would get thrown out.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Ewan posted:

Legally true, although "years" isn't quite right. Last I heard some courts are operating on normal timelines now, although some yes do have big backlogs.
But a S21 leading to possession is the easiest of all of the court eviction processes and doesn't even need hearings, it's just done on paper. Practically, 6 months should be plenty to find a new place - staying on beyond the expiry of the notice in August is a pretty terrible idea unless it's done out of sheer necessity as it means he's guaranteed to never be able to get a good landlord reference for future places, which just makes life a lot harder.

If he's on a periodic tenancy (and I suspect he is or will be from April) and the landlord hasn't already raised rent in the last 12 months then this is not correct - he can't refuse a rent increase and he has to pay the increased amount if the landlord raises it (as long as the landlord either does it via the statutory route or via a process set out in the contract if there is one). He can challenge it as "unreasonable" via a tribunal but as long as it is not some astronomical raise and is within the ballpark of market rates in the area then that challenge would get thrown out.

Sorry for the duff info on the rent increase, you're quite right it depends on the tenancy type. I mostly wanted the OP to know that the letter the landlord sent wasn't an eviction notice, merely the start of a potentially very long process that might not even be legal if the landlord didn't serve it correctly. It puts the OP in a very strong position to get some money out of the landlord of they're desperate to regain possession.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Leggsy posted:

Trust the Tories to gently caress up a sure thing. Now the story goes from "Sturgeon almost certainly misled parliament" to "idiot Tories try to collapse government 2 months before election during a pandemic".

Literally all they had to do was nothing and there would have been better chance of her resigning outright (there's still a non-zero chance she does).

I've barely paid any attention to this stuff because peripherally it seems like a storm in a teacup compared to 6 figure deathtolls caused by uk government fuckups coupled with blatant cronyism and embezzlement.

Is the "misleading of parliament" involved in this not just a minor set of details around the specific times of a meeting and the UK press and Tories/Labour are trying to hammer home a technicality in order to somehow delegitimize the independence movement though character assassination of a popular politician at the front of it.

Like (ironically) bang on about it in a misleading context enough and the the public ends up thinking she personally came round and shat in their kids eyes?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Kin posted:

I've barely paid any attention to this stuff because peripherally it seems like a storm in a teacup compared to 6 figure deathtolls caused by uk government fuckups coupled with blatant cronyism and embezzlement.

Is the "misleading of parliament" involved in this not just a minor set of details around the specific times of a meeting and the UK press and Tories/Labour are trying to hammer home a technicality in order to somehow delegitimize the independence movement though character assassination of a popular politician at the front of it.

Like (ironically) bang on about it in a misleading context enough and the the public ends up thinking she personally came round and shat in their kids eyes?

While I haven't been fully following it, I think it's a bit more than that.

Basically Alex Salmon (Sturgeon's mentor and at the time political higher up) got into some trouble and there were allegations made against him. It sounds like Sturgeon may have not followed all the rules to the exact letter as a means of pushing out a political rival.

Now, on the flip side what Salmon was accused of wasn't some minor expenses scandal, but full on serious crimes, so Sturgeon could have been mashing the "hang him out to dry" button as hard as she could to avoid being tarred with the same brush as him.

Since Salmon was acquited in his trial, he has not only swung back with "this was all a conspiracy to stitch me up" narrative but has double downed and gone with "every single woman who accused me of wrong doing is a part of a conspiracy against me! It's a conspiracy of women to do down an innocent man who should be leading Scotland!"

Given his own testimony during his case, the fact he has not acknowledged any wrong doing and the self-serviing blaming of everyone for what happened to him Salmond is almost certainly an abuser. Just one not convicted of a crime but probably known by all involved as one.

The question becomes since Salmond isn't going to let this issue die, is Sturgeon going to get pushed out of power for doing the wrong thing but for the right reasons. Or will Salmpnds refusal to take his win and go hide result in further skeletons being dug out about him.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

TheRat posted:

That's a lot of mistakes for someone obviously reading off of a teleprompter. Seems odd to publish it like that.

That's a dumb response to the president of the US actively pointing out that unions also help non-unionised workers and that the right to join a union Cannot Be hosed With.

Like yeah dementia joe is funny but when he's making a based lefty take and also actually didn't make that many mistakes? He tripped a word twice but seemed sincere? then seems dumb to pretend dementia joe matters when the Syria bombings is literally this same week. If you're gonna criticise him criticise him on something legit ffs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Joe Biden has aphasia and a stutter, making fun of him for misspeaking is pretty lovely TBH. Yes, he makes mistakes talking but because he's had that problem his whole life, even in the days when he ran rings around Paul Ryan a la 2012 he was still making these kind of mistakes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There are many things he deserves to get attacked for but that ain't it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In other news:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1366191901196644354?s=19

Watch Kieth flail about not knowing who to copy now.

I honestly think this is a really good little moment of how Bidenism and Starmerism are completely different approaches to similar situations ie establishment figures heading off populist left leaders and responding to the ongoing existence of that lefty support base.

But also loving lmao that brown is apparently being capitalised as well as black. Countdown until a confused editor thinks its 'just people colours?' and capitalises yellow, red and (an FT op-ed confused about why GW is doing well) green for an ultimate peak woke racist moment.

Edit: I actually don't know if greenskins in the GW universe is a proper noun or not, I assumed it wasn't but am happy to be corrected

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 2, 2021

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

I honestly think this is a really good little moment of how Bidenism and Starmerism are completely different approaches to similar situations ie establishment figures heading off populist left leaders and responding to the ongoing existence of that lefty support base.

But also loving lmao that brown is apparently being capitalised as well as black. Countdown until a confused editor thinks its 'just people colours?' and capitalises yellow, red and (an FT-op ed confused about why GW is doing well) green for an ultimate peak woke racist moment.

Edit: I actually don't know if greenskins in the GW universe is a proper noun or not, I assumed it wasn't but am happy to be corrected

Mega-Nob privilege is a real thing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also a more important thing to consider is that while Joe Biden is a centrist, he is a Democratic Party centrist so will actually listen to his party's left wing whereas the Labour Party's 'centrists' are all about slurping the Tory piss puddle while making GBS threads violently at the left.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Joe Biden has aphasia and a stutter, making fun of him for misspeaking is pretty lovely TBH. Yes, he makes mistakes talking but because he's had that problem his whole life, even in the days when he ran rings around Paul Ryan a la 2012 he was still making these kind of mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiGZzNEZmHY

Can't see any differences at all...

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tesseraction posted:

Also a more important thing to consider is that while Joe Biden is a centrist, he is a Democratic Party centrist so will actually listen to his party's left wing whereas the Labour Party's 'centrists' are all about slurping the Tory piss puddle while making GBS threads violently at the left.

Well that's absolutely untrue. The Democratics never listen to their left, only adopting progressive social issues after the non-party left has made the issue popular enough to adopt without official support and only adopting economic policies favourable to the USA working class when it has an imperialist angle. The unions in the USA had to crawl over to the Democratic Party, at least Labour was founded from trade union roots.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1366855637775376388

Kieth is a massive piece of poo poo.

Edit: I'm going to become the joker

https://twitter.com/TheoBiddle/status/1366867283260407812?s=19

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 2, 2021

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

namesake posted:

Well that's absolutely untrue. The Democratics never listen to their left, only adopting progressive social issues after the non-party left has made the issue popular enough to adopt without official support and only adopting economic policies favourable to the USA working class when it has an imperialist angle. The unions in the USA had to crawl over to the Democratic Party, at least Labour was founded from trade union roots.

Bidens Democrats have listened to their left to some extent though, it's not nothing that the executive order on climate very obviously took some cues from the 'green new deal' and that Sanders has been given a role with actual power, and cannot stress enough that the party hasn't done stalinesque purges of its lefties. Compare that to Starmer and if you think the distinction is "absolutely untrue" then we can just do battle with posts, if you're arguing that Starmer has been better for the UK left than Biden has been for the US left then lets go you're provably wrong. Bitch.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - 1st 2nd March 2021 :siren:

The Fund made its first payout on 23rd March 2020, so at some point this month we will have been officially in operation for a full year!

February was a fairly quiet month after the excitement of December and January - a few donations, a few requests, a few more goons able to keep financially afloat thanks to your generosity. Many thanks to those who donated :yayclod:

February Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts:

Cumulative donations and payouts:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - Please mark your donation as a gift, *not* as payment for services, as the latter incurs a charge!
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Kieth is a massive piece of poo poo.

that's "sir kieth" to us plebs, remember

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah this wasn't meant to be me saying "let us all love Joe Biden" it's more that the US left is doing better than it's done in a long time while our left has been purged and Sir Haircut has been loving dying in the polls while our criminally corrupt government has killed a hundred thousand brits through sure malevolence.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

:yikes:

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah this wasn't meant to be me saying "let us all love Joe Biden" it's more that the US left is doing better than it's done in a long time while our left has been purged and Sir Haircut has been loving dying in the polls while our criminally corrupt government has killed a hundred thousand brits through sure malevolence.

Do keep in mind that he made queen of the prison-factory his VP and tried his very best to die on the hill of putting the biggest Sanders-hater in the universe in charge of the budgets.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jesus christ. We all knew he was poo poo...but wow. Just loving wow. What an awful awful human being. From the nice jam man to this... loving hell.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Tesseraction posted:

There are many things he deserves to get attacked for but that ain't it.

I wasn't making fun of Biden, I was questioning his media production team.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Vitamin P posted:

Bidens Democrats have listened to their left to some extent though, it's not nothing that the executive order on climate very obviously took some cues from the 'green new deal' and that Sanders has been given a role with actual power, and cannot stress enough that the party hasn't done stalinesque purges of its lefties. Compare that to Starmer and if you think the distinction is "absolutely untrue" then we can just do battle with posts, if you're arguing that Starmer has been better for the UK left than Biden has been for the US left then lets go you're provably wrong. Bitch.

Tesseraction posted:

I'll agree that the USA left is generating more interest and power that previously but it's starting from a much lower position than in the UK. The Democrats either can't purge their left because their party structure can't do very much against people once elected or because there isn't a left to clear out. The UK left is also mounting a more stubborn grassroots resistance against the right than the USA left is against theirs so everything looks calmer and happier over there but are they getting more? I doubt it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The whole Pontins thing is just taking a complete piss and showing there are no actual teeth to anti-discrimination laws.

BBC News - Pontins used 'undesirables list' of Irish surnames

BBC posted:

According to the i, there were 40 names on the list, including Boyle, Keefe, Gallagher, O'Donnell, McGuiness, Murphy, and O'Reilly.

It said staff monitored calls and refused or cancelled bookings made by certain people with an Irish accent or surname, and Pontins' commercial vehicle policy excluded Gypsies and Travellers from its holiday parks.

As part of the agreement, Pontins must investigate the "undesirable guests" list, take appropriate action and ensure lessons are learned.

It must commission a review into its booking and commercial vehicle policy and consider any recommendations, and provide equality and diversity training for staff each year.

And this is company-wide policy that's been going on for years (the EHRC declined to say how long it was b/c of course, but the investigation strted in 2017).

Not even a loving fine or anything.

e: And the comments on those tweets posted earlier, like a third of it is people saying some variation of 'good on them for taking a stand against the ****'.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 3, 2021

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Pontins resorts each occupy a warp rift between this reality and the Plague Worlds of Nurgle, endlessly teeming with foulness and corruption, yet can never truly die

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe there's a community-driven approach if the EHRC persists in being useless fuckers. They've got nice big signs outside to stencil "no Irish" or "we are racist" or "paedophiles welcome" on repeatedly, but they keep them behind the gates.

I suppose putting a few bike chains around all those big heavy gates early in the morning would be a pretty fun hypothetical that would cause no harm to anyone but the company and provide useful work for local locksmiths.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

I suppose putting a few bike chains around all those big heavy gates early in the morning would be a pretty fun hypothetical that would cause no harm to anyone but the company and provide useful work for local locksmiths.

Except for when those improperly maintained gates fall off their hinges and flatten you

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheRat posted:

tried his very best to die on the hill of putting the biggest Sanders-hater in the universe in charge of the budgets.

that's not what the OMB does but I am also very happy (and lmaoing irl) about this

https://twitter.com/tylerpager/status/1366894971006160900

on national TV getting called a belligerent rear end in a top hat by the US senate only to be pulled anyway

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

As an American, I have to ask: what in the gently caress are you talkin' about dude?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Vitamin P posted:

I've seen the take that Biden is a neoliberal who has realised that the current setup is unsustainable and some sops need to made to the left both to keep the Dems increasingly young and ethnically diverse voting bloc together, and because some amount of left wing policy is needed to stop the torch and pitchforks.

Meanwhile Starmer and his team have bought fully into the idea that the left, and specifically the Labour left, are electoral poison to be denounced and ignored at every turn. It's important to note here Han Sanders never got the top job and he most the US left has done within the Democrats is push out some Congresspeople like Joe Crowley. Meanwhile in the UK Corbyn did actually take charge and threatened the gravy train of a ton of councillors, MPs and other Labour apparatchiks, and did actually convincingly lose an election which gives a lot more ammo to the right to say the electorate rejected the left.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

mycomancy posted:

As an American, I have to ask: what in the gently caress are you talkin' about dude?

The post you're replying to was correctly pointing out the US left is looking healthier than it has in a very long time while the UK left just got decapitated and the neck hole pissed on by a Nazgul with the skeletal face of Owen Smith peeking out under the hood.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1366800457402896393

Thanks for the input shaun.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
Imagine a stronger US left led to Sanders beating Hilary for the nomination, and then going on to lose to Trump. With that loss partly being due to a bunch of high profile Democrats giving interviews on Fox where they were all ‘I’m not actually saying you should vote for Trump, but here’s a list of 10 reasons you should be worried about Sanders; number seven will shock you’’.

Then for the entire Trump Presidency, have every tweet he makes, every coup he tries, presented with commentary saying ‘this is Sander’s fault, Hilary would have won’.

Then have the Dems pick, as a compromise candidate, one of the few senior Democrats who had never actually publicly expressed an opinion on Sanders. Who then expels him from the party, and starts putting in procedural fixes so that no one like him would ever win a primary again. Which, unsurprisingly, turns out to be unpopular enough he ends up eight points behind Trump in the polls.

If the USA was like that, it would be like the UK right now.

Ah well, at least we have healthcare.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How much is "lots" and what's the fiscal multiplier of "drugs"?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

He also only made one mistake that I heard, where he says "would support unions organising and their right to collectively bargain" and starts to say "... organisation", and even that could have been "would support unions' organisation and collective bargaining" before someone realised it sounded a bit too much like the government would back the unions in negotiations. The other two slips were clear references to earlier drafts. One was about an act that "didn't just say that unions are allowed to exist, but that we should encourage unions" but instead he obviously goes with the (better sounding IMO) "didn't just say that unions are allowed to exist, it said unions should be encouraged to exist". The other was talking about "the deep disparities [of race] that still exist in our country" and he starts to say "in our society".

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The super-dark dystopian near future uk thriller 84k is on sale for a quid right now if you have a kindle and are casting about for something to read - I read it last year and found it bleak but gripping.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/84K-eerily-plausible-dystopian-masterpiece-ebook/dp/B076PBVSWV

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

radmonger posted:

Imagine a stronger US left led to Sanders beating Hilary for the nomination, and then going on to lose to Trump. With that loss partly being due to a bunch of high profile Democrats giving interviews on Fox where they were all ‘I’m not actually saying you should vote for Trump, but here’s a list of 10 reasons you should be worried about Sanders; number seven will shock you’’.
Instead they avoided this a couple of years later by doing it during the primaries instead, throwing out all the greatest hits to see what stuck (unpatriotic traitor, communist, misogynist, racist, etc).

Combined with the Iowa ratfuck, Obama's intervention, multiple Democrat-friendly broadcasters just conveniently leaving Sanders out of headlines and preliminary polling totals, the best I can say is that the DNC are much less incompetent than the Labour right but probably a lot less vindictive too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I fondly remember the graphs of sanders vs centrist voltron to avoid showing him getting more votes than everyone else.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Turns out rotting fruit makes a better politician than Keith "no, slash his penis more" Starmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Leaving aside the question of whether the American or British "left" is doing better, which is an apples/oranges issue imo, the Biden video does show an important difference in strategy, namely that the Democrats have realized they need to appropriate progressive/leftist messaging in order to placate their base even if they do nothing to follow through on that messaging. The actual text of his executive orders is full of "consider", "investigate", "form a committee to" etc. delaying tactics and will almost certainly amount to nothing but it keeps the left off his back. Hence the video - there's zero chance of Biden doing anything substantive to help unions but he's perfectly content for people to get starry-eyed thinking he might, if those mean Republicans/Joe Manchin let him.

Compare this to the Labour right, who can't even bring themselves to pretend to back higher taxes on Covid profiteers because they're so pathologically opposed to anything that smacks of socialism. I'm sure there are some more sensible strategists looking at Biden right now and wishing they could pull off the same trick, but the psycho contingent will never let them.