Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't need beams but different structural elements seem to have different amounts of strength, stone has very limited tensile strength, it doesn't like being attached lengthwise. Wooden poles go a bit further than planks and can support a plank floor above, so they do seem to help, somewhat.

Using a beam for support lets me get one 2x2 further out, so 2 long log poles + 1 short, or 5 regular square beams. Doesn't seem to matter if you use multiple small components or one long one though.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

OwlFancier posted:

If you could plant berry bushes and also the other crops worked the same way, no replanting necessary, that would be better. The game has enough busywork as is.

Is Iron Gate holding your family hostage? stop posting for no and keep shitposting for yes

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Just in case anyone is looking for a cool map, the seed HelloWorld is fantastic in terms of interesting islands and a lot of cool places to build.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

For some reason it's absurdly hard to find an answer to this on any of the many slide-show Valheim building gudes out there: do you need to have beams supporting your buildings to keep them structurally sound? How much of a different does this make?

Yes, and it makes a big difference. You can build a few segments high and a couple segments inward (for a roof) before it'll start collapsing, but if you add some supports you'll be able to build a lot more freely. Once you get to iron segments you can even support multi-story stone buildings without things collapsing, but it gets really expensive.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Sweet, thanks for the info guys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can build multi storey with just stone, you just need to use arches, interleaved bricks to transfer the mass down and outward.

I can't attach any blocks horizontally off this wall, but it will take the arch no issues.

They keystone is yellow (I think, it's a different colour from that and it's not red, can't see colour properly) and I think will only stay up because it has bricks on both sides of it, so that's likely your limit for horizontal spans.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 2, 2021

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Broken Cog posted:

You get 6 meads per base you make, it's really not that much of a grind.

Something I hope they do is add a 4th slot for various meads and make it easier to start making them. I think part of the cliff of difficulty with swamp boss is it's the first game that just requires either hard cheesing or a lot of mead, and setting up for a meadery is a fairly lengthy process, especially if you just tossed your bees into a chest and thought "I'll deal with those later"

Viking Longchair

Inspired by the community bed spot we made on our server, which was a double row of beds with a dragon prow at the head of it that we named the viking longbed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Carrot soup isn't poo poo compared to turnip stew though, and honestly hunting deer is significantly more efficient than foraging mushrooms, which are also usually used for mead. And turnip stew only needs a single piece of meat too, the returns are wild.

I let the fires die in the old house in our current village, threw a harvest of carrots in it and left the doors open for the tame boars have a nice place to live. Every once in a while I come by like a good landlord and take my pounds of flesh as rent.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I had this sad revelation that boar farming isn't worth the fuss unless you get a 1/2 star boar in. The basic boar doesn't even guarantee a meat drop, smdh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do tamed animals produce others of the same quality?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

i've seen herds of 2 star wolves, so I'd assume so

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can sort of see bothering then if you got two star pigs consistently, I squatted at one and it started very, very slowly filling up a meter so i just said gently caress that and left.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

I can sort of see bothering then if you got two star pigs consistently, I squatted at one and it started very, very slowly filling up a meter so i just said gently caress that and left.

It's best to just wall them in someplace (this applies to everything tamable) and make a platform above to toss food in. they'll sit there and eat while you go do other things

e: not that I really advocate taming anything, they're all pretty useless, and if you're even semi competent with the bow any trip through the meadows will yield tons of meat

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ok, gently caress, I know I'm complaining about the people complaining about someone complaining, but jesus. They're valid criticisms of the drat game. You can like a game and not like some.of the tedious aspects, and other people have fun in different ways than you do. Provide a solution or just post about something else, it's not some slight against you as a human that someone doesn't love the game like you do.

Oy.

Anyway, how many iron does it take before I can get my hands on stone and how sequence breaking would it be to get the thing that lets me build stone structures? Because I want stone in my new base, but I haven't killed the person that nets me a swamp key just yet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saxophone posted:

Anyway, how many iron does it take before I can get my hands on stone and how sequence breaking would it be to get the thing that lets me build stone structures? Because I want stone in my new base, but I haven't killed the person that nets me a swamp key just yet.

The stone bench takes 2 iron I think. You can technically find iron underground in the swamps but its pretty rare

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saxophone posted:

Two. Personally I think it should come earlier as it is basically a qualitative thing once you get iron and I don't think there's much good reason to gate it off for that long.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you get the swamp key from killing the second boss. it's actually not that hard, most of your difficulty might come from getting to an altar to summon it depending on where your runes point you.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

you get the swamp key from killing the second boss. it's actually not that hard, most of your difficulty might come from getting to an altar to summon it depending on where your runes point you.

It's surprisingly accessible to where I'm going to be setting up my new base. My biggest problem is once he's gone, troll raids can spring up and I'm not ready for those and will be cranky if they wreck my hard work, haha.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saxophone posted:

It's surprisingly accessible to where I'm going to be setting up my new base. My biggest problem is once he's gone, troll raids can spring up and I'm not ready for those and will be cranky if they wreck my hard work, haha.

I've encountered exactly one troll raid

Raids in general seem pretty overblown, you seem to get one each time you do something new with a tier then never again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in my experience so far it feels like troll raids don't actually spawn too many of them, so it mostly turns into a game of kiting around a couple with some arrows. dunno how much it can vary in terms of numbers but if you can handle trolls already then it might not be that hard to repel.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Plus troll raids aren't poo poo if you have stake walls. They just wander around for a while and you repair the walls, then they get bored after you kill one and they go away.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ooo, noted.

So looking at the description of the stonecutter, do I need one near every single workbench that I plan on building stone structures within the radius of?

Not that I can't just disassemble it and reassemble it as needed, but just checking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It functions like the workbench, in that you need to be in range of one to build with stone, yes.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Saxophone posted:

Ooo, noted.

So looking at the description of the stonecutter, do I need one near every single workbench that I plan on building stone structures within the radius of?

Not that I can't just disassemble it and reassemble it as needed, but just checking.

yes you need one anywhere you want to plop down stone same deal as workbench and normal stuff

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Saxophone posted:

Unlocks iron though. Make a banded shield and you can parry trolls to death.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
God drat these draugr spawning piles wreck me, I really need to only go after them with stuff like sausage + other meat active. It's kind of annoying because most of the swamp and crypts aren't threats if you're careful , then you hit that at random

Speaking of threats, blobs in crypts are yikes. But do they do anything besides poison? If there's 3 on you can you just eat the poison cloud and wail away on them while the timer ticks down?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saxophone posted:

Ooo, noted.

Note that you just need the stone bench to craft stone. Just need the workshop to craft the bench, so one workshop in the middle then you can move the stone bench anywhere in the workshops radius and build stone anywhere in the stone bench's radius. They don't have to overlap unless you're doing a mix of stone and not stone

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Meiteron posted:

I completed this stuff with a buddy and both of these bosses are exercises in "did you remember meads". If you walk into Bonemass expecting you'll spend 100% of the time poisoned and tailor your strategy around that, it won't be so bad. With resistance meads poison can't tick fast enough to outpace your natural regen and Bonemass melee boils down to swinging while he's spreading poison around and blocking when he's taking swipes at you. We split our attention with one person up front and one person on add clear (it was 2 oozes and 1 skeleton every time for us when he summoned more, which go down fast to maces) and it was long but never out of control.

Similarly we walked into Boss 5 unaware that his gimmick is DESTRUCTION RAINS FROM THE HEAVENS all fire damage all the time so having not pre-prepared the brand new mead you unlock in Plains our fully-upgraded characters were completely obliterated in about 15 seconds. Having gotten that mead for a second try it turns out nearly everything that boss does is hard countered by that in exactly the same way Bonemass' poison is hard countered by mead and he was mostly just a brick of hp. He doesn't even summon help, although you'll get some inquisitive deathsquitos if you're unlucky.

Pretty much every boss requires the appropriate resistance mead, and you want stamina and health meads to go along with it. From Bonemass onwards we didn't start a fight unless we had 20 minutes worth of mead coverage (2 resistance, 10 recovery each) and that kept us quite safe. Doing this solo would be very much the same, you just need to split your time between the boss itself and whatever adds have joined the party so each fight takes longer even with solo-levels of boss health.

Did you do boss 5 after the buff? Even with fully maxed padded armor, he's basically impossible for a solo player to melee. He turns too fast with his mouth laser, the area denial AOE ticks for a crazy amount even with the mead and the obvious death from above requires constant movement.

I think with even one more person it would be less of a frustrating experience. Having someone to come whack him while he's mouth lasering or casting the death from above would've made the fight a lot simpler. As it is, there are very few ways to counter his attacks as a solo player. I'm sure they'll get around to tuning it down the road.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I think part of the cliff of difficulty with swamp boss is it's the first game that just requires either hard cheesing or a lot of mead, and setting up for a meadery is a fairly lengthy process, especially if you just tossed your bees into a chest and thought "I'll deal with those later"

Before you have any recipes, honey is like a mushroom that ticks your health back faster than any other food. Its pretty good to have a couple hives up asap

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ChristsDickWorship posted:

Before you have any recipes, honey is like a mushroom that ticks your health back faster than any other food. Its pretty good to have a couple hives up asap

Honey is absolutely easy mode. I had 4 hives before we had any bronze, so I was just munching honey all the time. Doesn't seem to last very long, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honey is extremely desirable because it is one of very few resources that you don't have to grind for, you just put the hive down and it makes the stuff, such a pleasant thing to have.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Saxophone posted:

If you can kite the trolls well, troll raids become the best way to get stacks of resources piling up. If the trolls are carrying logs, you can easily get multiple stacks of wood, stone and ore until you get bored or the raid ends.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pham Nuwen posted:

Honey is absolutely easy mode. I had 4 hives before we had any bronze, so I was just munching honey all the time. Doesn't seem to last very long, though.

I'm up to 18 hives, it's great

It's shocking how fast you go through it if you're making mead for an 8 person server tho

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

ChristsDickWorship posted:

OwlFancier posted:

Honey is extremely desirable because it is one of very few resources that you don't have to grind for, you just put the hive down and it makes the stuff, such a pleasant thing to have.

Not sure I'm getting my point across, here. The problem arises because the early game demands so little of you that gliding past beehives and meadmaking is probably a lot more common than you'd think. Meat is very plentiful and also gives you a lot of extra health that makes you basically immortal early on. You don't even need much beyond fire arrows and cooked meat to kill elder, and then suddenly swamp boss demands that you pony up three different kinds of mead and three kinds of good food, like sausages. It's one of the reasons it's a wall: you didn't need to think about that stuff before. I know the only reason we had any of it on hand on the server I play on was because someone had already attempted the swamp boss and found out about the wall, so he set up the bee hives himself. It's not about how good honey is, it's about how easy it is to ignore until suddenly everything is terrible, and that's really probably more of an issue with elder than with swamp boss.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you not see any slimes prior to fighting Bonemass? That poo poo had us scurrying back home to figure out poison resists.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

xzzy posted:

Did you not see any slimes prior to fighting Bonemass? That poo poo had us scurrying back home to figure out poison resists.

I just killed them with arrows :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Same, or avoided them, they didn't seem worth fighting or take much damage from anything so I figured that was the point.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're specifically weak to blunt, iirc, and since there isn't an arrow type that has a small fist attached to the end of the shaft that mostly means they want you to mace them to death. which i don't want to do. so bow it is.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

For some reason it's absurdly hard to find an answer to this on any of the many slide-show Valheim building gudes out there: do you need to have beams supporting your buildings to keep them structurally sound? How much of a different does this make?

Hello.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958782&userid=105848#post512780507

The only thing not included is the weird shear strength stuff on stone. Stone blocks seem to take a massive penalty if they aren't supported from either the bottom or two sides. Pillars don't have this problem, you can stick a corner onto like a iron beam or whatever, then use that to support a block, or an arch and use the arch to support a block. This means that it can be tough to build a row of stone suspended in the air even if the path length is working in your favor, because for it to work in your favor you have to build the entire row first (since during the construction process, some blocks will only be contacting one other block and are liable to break). Some iron scaffolding can help with this.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I've culled down my boar farm before to only a few 2 star ones and they only produce 2 stars yea.

Each one will provide 4 raw meat.