Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/1366866439945089024?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

It makes me laugh to remember the years Vogel resisted selling his games anywhere but through his own website. I'm glad he was able to overcome that needless hurdle and find modest success.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rebel Blob posted:

It feels like a discussion of Bioshock Infinite's writing isn't complete without looking at Burial at Sea, which hamfistedly salts the loving earth for the series.

I haven't played but know that whatever goes on they also retcon a ton of the extremely problematic poo poo in the base game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Didn't really expect to like Loop Hero, but it's fun. Really fun. Hooray for demos!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Welp, guessing Fall Guys will be leaving Steam in the near future. https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-games-buys-fall-guys-studio-mediatonic/

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they say it will remain on steam right in that article

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mordja posted:

Welp, guessing Fall Guys will be leaving Steam in the near future. https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-games-buys-fall-guys-studio-mediatonic/

quote:

"It’s no secret that Epic is invested in building the metaverse and Tonic Games shares this goal," Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said in a statement. "As Epic works to build this virtual future, we need great creative talent who know how to build powerful games, content and experiences."

:confused:

wtf are these people taking their business strategies from comic book movies?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Everything has to not only be a thing but also an advertisment for five other things.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

It's the Blizzard way.

Throw a WoW pet into everything and you'll get some cross promotion between your existing but otherwise exclusive customers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Loot Filters should have a second setting that just vaporizes any flagged items into gold without having to make vendor trips.
Yet again why Marvel Heroes was the best ARPG. :rip:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Sab669 posted:

It's the Blizzard way.

Throw a WoW pet into everything and you'll get some cross promotion between your existing but otherwise exclusive customers.

How soon we forget TF2 hats....

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bamhand posted:

Just picked up Troubleshooter, didn't realize it had servers and maintenance. Is that for multiplayer only or does it affect SP as well?

It has no effect in Singleplayer, though an offline save will lock you out of MP content when it is eventually released in 20??. For now all it does is let you e-mail stuff, trade items with other players and benefit from increased Mastery/Item drops when Windwall reaches 100% safety (pretty common in usual gaming hours and constant in the days after a content update). Offline mode does open the option of using cheat engine or save editing at your leisure, plus playing during server maintenance (I've never had it stop me, since it is always like Monday morning) or if your internet is iffy.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Im_Special posted:

From today's Humble Monthly, does anyone have a copy of ELEX they'd be willing to sell to me for a few bucks (Paypal)? I'm a huge fan of the Gothic and Risen series and so this one is entirely my jam here, and as an added bonus it looks like it comes with a lot of euro jank! But for the rest of this bundle, it is not my jam or even worst, jam with seeds in it, like raspberry... yuck!
PM'ed you.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

fortnite is second life now
but the good thing about trends is that they never end

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Rocket League on Steam, a year after the Epic buyout:

pentyne posted:

That and 90's sci-fi novels.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 3, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Didn't 15 minutes of fame just about end for Fall Guys? It was a hit until Among Us took over all the streams.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Orv posted:

David Jaffe, Cliff Bleszinski and Tim Sweeny are like the three boomer horsemen of the dumb old video game opinions apocalypse.

A post that I really should feel worse about writing than I do.

Might as well round out the foursome with one Randall Pitchford.

pentyne posted:

I haven't played but know that whatever goes on they also retcon a ton of the extremely problematic poo poo in the base game.

IIRC, they retcon exactly one scene, and in a way that actually makes it even worse rather than better.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Big shout out to John Lee for the game ELEX!, and rip my PM box, hours of nothing, then 3 PM's all within minutes... in other words Burning Rain, The Joe Man thanks but it's been solved.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Big shout out to John Lee for the game ELEX!, and rip my PM box, hours of nothing, then 3 PM's all within minutes... in other words Burning Rain, The Joe Man thanks but it's been solved.
No problem; enjoy it! It's basically the real Gothic 3 (or a decent sequel to Risen).

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Execs aren't reading books, you know they're working off the Ready Player One movie

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

The Joe Man posted:

No problem; enjoy it! It's basically the real Gothic 3 (or a decent sequel to Risen).

That's what I'm hearing and reading, and I'm super pumped to play it actually. Basically it's a must have for Gothic/Risen fans, and Gothic II is one of my all time favorites so I think I'm in for a treat here, the only negative I generally see about the game is that at times it can be a bit buggy and comes with a lot of "jank", but I'm not sure if those complaints were mostly for when it launched and have since been smoothed out by now...? Also luckily I have a high tolerance for "jank" in games, I find that poo poo charming. :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Not fixed as such, no. It's a very front-loaded game, you'll see what people mean once you travel farther away from your starting area. There are some parts of the game that just feel clearly like a neat that someone had and that they included without too much thought, like the jetpack mechanic. There's hardly anywhere in the game that you really need it and I could swear that the game was almost completely finished already before they decided to include it.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
This video made me lol when I first saw it. Love at first sight, pretty much.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ciaphas posted:

i don't really want to ask this for a whole host of reasons - partly because i appreciate the refunds but mostly because asking it makes me look and feel like a dumbass - but curiosity has briefly won out

why are "game wasn't fun" refunds even a thing? lack of enforcement, typically higher prices-per-unit, Gamers Whining, etc. - what's the history there? i get it for tech issues but i think i'd be a laughingstock if i said "the beginning of that movie/book sucked, I want my money back"

I used to get physical games refunded for that very reason. British laws are very flexible in that regard, and the European ones generally do even more. Steam technically shouldn't be able to have that two hour limit here, it ought to be just the two weeks.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I was a fan of Gothic and Risen back in the day, but I'm afraid that revisiting anything like them would be unbearable because games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls have come along that scratch a similar itch but are just so much better.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say Cyber Hook is already the highlight of this monthly for me. Really tight controls, the grappling and swinging and inertia just feel right for the most part, and I've only encountered one or two levels I'd kind of call duds so far. There are also some really drat good levels that are juuust open-ended enough to exploit mercilessly. I swear YouTube's recompression gets worse every loving time I use it, but here's me using a slingshot maneuver to beeline through the second half of a level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=117SDjz-GXw

And here's one of me using the bone-melting inertia from a cannon launch to skip almost straight to the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYH_mzrnqxg

Only downside is a few hours of play has completely ruined my right hand for probably the next couple days. Worth it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I guess this fights the Steam thread better than anything else, but can anyone recommend a good, comfortable controller for PC games? I've usually used my standard PS4 pad for everything but after a few several-hours-long sessions of Celeste I'm left with several really sore spots on my hands and fingers. Just too many little sharp angles and pokey bits on the PS4 pad. I do much prefer the layout as opposed to X-box style layouts, and I really need something with a good d-pad (PS4's is iffy but I have the d-buttons from Battle Beaver installed). Would a Dual Sense be worth investing in? I also have my 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ but that never seems to play nicely with Steam games unless I gently caress with the input codes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'd say the Dual Sense really fits the bill there, feels good in the hand and is rounded pretty much everywhere. There is the ongoing coverage of that whole stick lifetime issue if you care about such things for a purchase like that but otherwise if the SN30+ isn't already what you want I'd say probably the Dual Sense.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Orv posted:

I'd say the Dual Sense really fits the bill there, feels good in the hand and is rounded pretty much everywhere. There is the ongoing coverage of that whole stick lifetime issue if you care about such things for a purchase like that but otherwise if the SN30+ isn't already what you want I'd say probably the Dual Sense.

Yeah I've seen the problems with all the controllers using the ALPS sticks having drift issues, but I'm good to my controllers (and don't play THAT much with them, to be honest) and I'm perfectly comfortable with a soldering iron and replacing things like that so I don't really mind. A cheaper option would be great though. I don't currently have $70 to blow just on a controller.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 3, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Picayune posted:

Jumping a number of pages back, but the thing that ended up bothering me about Immortals Fenyx Rising was the timing-based precision 3D platforming parts. I wasn't expecting that going in, which sucked, because I do not like that kind of thing in my open-world beat-em-ups. (Because I am terrible at it.)

That being said, it's not something that you have to do to win the game. It's just a frustrating camera-wrangling laser-pain sideline.
I mostly enjoy the platforming stuff but my main complaint is that sprinting requires you to dash forward first, and the game loves you have to race across series of square platforms that are just slightly shorter than the forward dash distance, so if you try to sprint after landing on one, you just dash off. If I could hold a different button to just dash I would be much happier.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Triarii posted:

I was a fan of Gothic and Risen back in the day, but I'm afraid that revisiting anything like them would be unbearable because games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls have come along that scratch a similar itch but are just so much better.

These game all serve different niches though, Gothic and Risen are for story, Dark Souls and Monster Hunter are for combat, and the most recent Valheim is for building, no one's playing Gothic or Valheim for the combat gameplay...

Personally I've bounced off on both Monster Hunter and Valheim super hard because I found them needlessly grindy, the story to Monster Hunter was good enough to string you along, but once done, super hard bounce.

Souls games are A++ though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I guess this fights the Steam thread better than anything else, but can anyone recommend a good, comfortable controller for PC games? I've usually used my standard PS4 pad for everything but after a few several-hours-long sessions of Celeste I'm left with several really sore spots on my hands and fingers. Just too many little sharp angles and pokey bits on the PS4 pad. I do much prefer the layout as opposed to X-box style layouts, and I really need something with a good d-pad (PS4's is iffy but I have the d-buttons from Battle Beaver installed). Would a Dual Sense be worth investing in? I also have my 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ but that never seems to play nicely with Steam games unless I gently caress with the input codes.

i love my wireless xbox 360 and it's completely indestructible, idk if the layout is a dealbreaker

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Im_Special posted:

These game all serve different niches though, Gothic and Risen are for story, Dark Souls and Monster Hunter are for combat, and the most recent Valheim is for building, no one's playing Gothic or Valheim for the combat gameplay...

Personally I've bounced off on both Monster Hunter and Valheim super hard because I found them needlessly grindy, the story to Monster Hunter was good enough to string you along, but once done, super hard bounce.

Souls games are A++ though.

I don't think I was really playing Gothic and Risen for the story, or at least I don't remember much about their stories. What I do remember liking was having a big world to explore, full of neat nooks and crannies to poke into with cool stuff to find.

Regardless of whether you're there for the combat, though, you're going to be doing a lot of it. Back in the day I think I just put up with it because, eh, not like I had something better to play. But now that I have examples of how that kind of combat can be done so much tremendously better, I think it would get on my nerves too much to enjoy those games.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

sebmojo posted:

i love my wireless xbox 360 and it's completely indestructible, idk if the layout is a dealbreaker

I play platformers and such with the d-pad and keeping my thumb at that angle for very long fucks with my hand. Plus my experience is that X-box d-pads are pretty awful.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'm wanna second Cyber Hook. It was free on Prime gaming recently and it's one of the only givaway games I've tried lately that I've really liked. It makes a point of skipping through the idea of there being a plot early on until after you get through the tutorial and early levels, and then when it has the opportunity to bog poo poo down with the story, it just delivers brief hints at it and lets you be on your way. It's incredibly minor but the only thing I don't love is the increased grapple length during bullet time since I'd rather zip around without slowing pace, that extra range is nice to have sometimes but I gotta keep zoomin'

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You want this:

It works perfectly with everything your DS4 does because it's PS4-compatible. It's light and comfy to use. The D-pad is good and is in the right place.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I also have my 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ but that never seems to play nicely with Steam games unless I gently caress with the input codes.

What issues are you have with the 8BitDo? Are you using it in X-input mode? I've never had any problems outside of getting used to x-box prompts.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Stickman posted:

What issues are you have with the 8BitDo? Are you using it in X-input mode? I've never had any problems outside of getting used to x-box prompts.

If I tried to move it from being plugged into my Switch to plugging it into my PC and back again, something along the way would stop working and I'd have to gently caress with it for a while. Maybe if I removed DS4Windows that would help actually.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

If I tried to move it from being plugged into my Switch to plugging it into my PC and back again, something along the way would stop working and I'd have to gently caress with it for a while. Maybe if I removed DS4Windows that would help actually.

Yeah, I connect mine through bluetooth and steam never has any trouble with it. When it's plugged in directly, you can use 8bitdo's software to make sure it's in the right mode and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

You want this:

It works perfectly with everything your DS4 does because it's PS4-compatible. It's light and comfy to use. The D-pad is good and is in the right place.
Note on this that it's REALLY small. If you have larger hands, it gets uncomfortable real quick.