Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Truman Peyote posted:

- they call it a "medium post"
- why's that?
- because it's not rare and it's certainly not well done!

d'oooohhh ho ho ho ho ho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:xd:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

solid sensible chuckle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Truman Peyote posted:

- why's that?

d'oooohhh ho ho ho ho ho

this is why we're here, folks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Truman Peyote posted:

- why's that?

d'oooohhh ho ho ho ho ho

xD

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I watched an extremely schlocky 1982 sci fi prison escape movie on shudder called Turkey Shoot aka Escape 2000, set in the far flung future of 1995 a fascist government throws "deviants" into prison camps for re-education with a twist. it features a bitchy crossbow horse lady, a wolfman, a fair amount of nudity and a whole lot of analog synthesizers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqu0nnhJk18
like 10 minutes in I thought "I bet ~NmN~ has this on his plex"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

2 seconds into the trailer and i'm already sold

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao at calling off the hunt and instead giving orders to kill them

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

watching i bought a vampire motorcycle, so far its a schlocky british version of christine but with a motorcycle, its pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbvqz-nv7Zw

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Wife and I were discussing what we're reading at dinner and she mentioned picking up a book on Kindle for free that was like a mystery thriller. Described the beginning and it sounded super familiar. She kept describing bits and pieces, like she didn't have a super clear picture of what was going on, everything was so secretive. I asked her what the title was and she was like, "It's got a weird title, like Tailor, Soldier, Tinker?"
I've only seen the movie but I still found the whole thing incredibly endearing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I'm reading Ministry for the Future. it starts out with a heat wave in India in 2024 that kills 20 million people. pretty bleak so far!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

indigi posted:

I'm reading Ministry for the Future. it starts out with a heat wave in India in 2024 that kills 20 million people. pretty bleak so far!

this is an actual possibility re: climate change btw

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

fart simpson posted:

this is an actual possibility re: climate change btw

I know. this book was billed as an anti-dystopic take on climate change and I wonder when that starts kicking in. right now international capital is mobilizing against India for trying to force adherence to the Paris Accords

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

I quite liked that book, there's a lot of interesting stuff in it, and some great lines.

The bit where some ecoterrorists kidnap everyone at Davos and make them watch educational films about the climate crisis and the attendee is like "we weren't stupid, we already knew all this" made me chuckle pretty hard.

I also think that he's a bit optimistic about the problem - a lot of the solutions in the book are fairly technocratic or about bending international capital to our will. I feel like the actual material changes in people's lives necessary to fight the climate crisis are enourmously unpopular though and are the real obstacle, even if they seem trivial compared to the magnitude of the crisis!

distortion park fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 2, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol OK what's in the cheap kindle daily deal..?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Kings-Stormlight-Archive-Book-ebook/dp/B004H4XAXO

Hmm wait

Print length : 1005 pages

:eyepop: loving fantasy authors and their doorstep-sized books man.

edit: book one of a four book series;

Book 2: 574 pages ok not so bad
Book 3: 1241 pages lol what
Book 4: 1395 pages please stop

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 2, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol OK what's in the cheap kindle daily deal..?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Kings-Stormlight-Archive-Book-ebook/dp/B004H4XAXO

Hmm wait

Print length : 1005 pages

:eyepop: loving fantasy authors and their doorstep-sized books man.

edit: book one of a four book series;

Book 2: 574 pages ok not so bad
Book 3: 1241 pages lol what
Book 4: 1395 pages please stop

it's because he gives a million random characters their own chapter, the books have a lot of filler imo

i don't mind high page counts because i burn through the fuckers but it's hard to keep my interest if there are huge swaths of nothing really happening

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao at calling off the hunt and instead giving orders to kill them

lmao

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The new TOR freebie is up online (Download before 11:59 PM ET, March 5th, 2021.)

https://ebookclub.tor.com/

quote:

The Unspoken Name

Csorwe is an orc. She is devout in her service and worship to The Unspoken One; that shuddering power whose presence emanates from the void in the heart of the mountain.

The Unspoken One—or perhaps just its disciples—chooses how and when Csorwe will die. The knowledge is considered a kind of twisted reassurance.

She does not want it.

And so Csorwe’s story begins.

“A wonderful, rich fantasy with fantastic queer characters I fell in love with. Fans of the fantastical world-building and ancient divine secrets of Ann Leckie’s THE RAVEN TOWER or Steven Erikson’s MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN will really enjoy this one.” —Django Wexler, author of The Thousand Names

“Astounding... written with skill and stunning assurance. The worlds this story spans are as exotic and dangerous as the characters who traverse them. From its flawless first page to its bittersweet last, The Unspoken Name is unlike anything I’ve read before.” —Nicholas Eames, author of Kings of the Wyld

“An unexpected and new take on classic orcs ’n’ swords fantasy. Stylish, classy, and timeless - but with racing stripes and an inbuilt camera. I cannot recommend it enough.” —Tamsyn Muir, author of Gideon the Ninth

Gotta be honest that's some fine praise from authors I have enjoyed, even though I'm kinda off Fantasy at the moment I will give this a whirl

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

pointsofdata posted:

I quite liked that book, there's a lot of interesting stuff in it, and some great lines.

The bit where some ecoterrorists kidnap everyone at Davos and make them watch educational films about the climate crisis and the attendee is like "we weren't stupid, we already knew all this" made me chuckle pretty hard.

I also think that he's a bit optimistic about the problem - a lot of the solutions in the book are fairly technocratic or about bending international capital to our will. I feel like the actual material changes in people's lives necessary to fight the climate crisis are enourmously unpopular though and are the real obstacle, even if they seem trivial compared to the magnitude of the crisis!

he’s very optimistic imo, we’re completely hosed

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm finally getting around to reading the next three body problem book The Dark Forest and it's pretty okay

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm finally getting around to reading the next three body problem book The Dark Forest and it's pretty okay

i started the second one cause i didn't know what else to read and idk man

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

sophons!!!!!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

i did not care for it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I like it ok, why didn't you like it?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I like it ok, why didn't you like it?

i just didn't, i found it tedious. i didn't enjoy half the first book either although i did like looking through various experiences at the cultural revolution since it's not something i'm intimately familiar with

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont remember if it was the 2nd or 3rd three body problem book, but one of them was incredibly boring for the first half and then suddenly got pretty decent. i remember not being jazzed by the ending of the series, but i found the whole dark forest cosmology thing pretty interesting. maybe this is just me showing my naivete, but i hadn't thought about that before so i really enjoyed an exploration of the idea by a competent author+translator. finding that core conceit compelling made missteps in the story not matter so much for me, and the writing itself was good so i was pretty happy with the series

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah for me the first book was interesting because of the cultural revolution stuff, then kind of right at the end it asked an interesting question but other than that it was just really tedious.

The second book seems content to just be tedious all the time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if you havent read this, its a quick read and its fantastic:

https://qntm.org/mmacevedo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's sad chris farely died and we all got stuck with adam sandler

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in a parallel universe, chris farley starred in Uncut Gems

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

yeah for me the first book was interesting because of the cultural revolution stuff, then kind of right at the end it asked an interesting question but other than that it was just really tedious.

The second book seems content to just be tedious all the time.

same. the end i just skipped cause it was worse than red mars

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Carthag Tuek posted:

if you havent read this, its a quick read and its fantastic:

https://qntm.org/mmacevedo

this is cool and makes me want to replay SOMA again

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

lol gently caress this book too

i finally started reading it last week and it's just like, constantly super racist to arabs? five pages in and the narrator is going on about the masculine wife beating arabs. i googled and found no white people talking about it but there's notably an arabic dude on the author's own website who is like jfc this is ridiculous

i'm not going to bother reading any more of it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's sad chris farely died and we all got stuck with adam sandler

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

i liked the second book the best idk. third book was weak but the last half was kinda fun to see him have fun with the physics stuff

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's slow but in a good way, it's southern reach trilogy territory for me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it was goofy and fun to see how thoroughly and easily all the aliens can just totally waste humanity, and then to see other aliens on another level casually destroying entire solar systems and even physics itself

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I may have accidentally got my wife to start reading Blindsight because I said it had a space vampire :/

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Blockade posted:

I may have accidentally got my wife to start reading Blindsight because I said it had a space vampire :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe