Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I understand that CA has made two entire games based on the Sengoku Jidai period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I saw 160 new posts and thought a beastmen trailer had dropped but instead we're arguing about Fantasy Samurai like some TWCenter screed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It is kinda weird to suggest that the japanese or whoever else would flock to the game if only their expy was in. It’s not like Bretonnia is disproportionately popular in France or danes all love chaos and Norsca.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Beastmen are never getting an update. We’ll all be playing Warhammer: Total War VIII in pristine VR after the thirteenth Skaven DLC and they’ll still have the lovely Waagh mechanic and the the worst unit roster in the game.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Terrible Opinions posted:

Australians have no culture. Point still stands.

Good name/post combo, you son of a bitch! We gave you lamingtons, vegemite and flat-white coffees at smoko. Is this how you repay us, denying us a fantasy race?

Strewth, as soon as my dole cheque comes in I am going to have a barney with CA. I am ready for a monster bun-fight but it'll be worth it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It is kinda weird to suggest that the japanese or whoever else would flock to the game if only their expy was in. It’s not like Bretonnia is disproportionately popular in France or danes all love chaos and Norsca.

Oui?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't think they would flock to it, but I do think they largely think it was cool.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A Perfect Twist posted:

Good name/post combo, you son of a bitch! We gave you lamingtons, vegemite and flat-white coffees at smoko. Is this how you repay us, denying us a fantasy race?

Strewth, as soon as my dole cheque comes in I am going to have a barney with CA. I am ready for a monster bun-fight but it'll be worth it.

Your greatest contribution is the Halal Snack Pack

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A Perfect Twist posted:

Admittedly friendly but still dangerous orcs would be a good addition to the game.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Your greatest contribution is the Halal Snack Pack

You watch out, a New Zealander will be here momentarily to claim they invented it first.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Not sure what all the worry is about, CA have proven for years they are perfectly capable of presenting non white/western cultures very tastefully and respectfully while also paying the rule of cool it's due. I'm confident they would handle Nippon/not Japan very well.

GW too, for that matter, have gotten much better. The IP is no longer solely directed by some northern British nerds in the 1980s.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A Perfect Twist posted:

All these things came from New Zealand you ingrate

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A Perfect Twist posted:

You watch out, a New Zealander will be here momentarily to claim they invented it first.

gently caress

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Add everything to this game that causes westerners to squirm with uncertainty. Add more cultures. Let CA do them proper.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm not sure if those comparisons work all that well, the French fanbase don't care about Brets because the Brets never paid deep respect or give a cool perspective of medieval French culture and mythology, its a blatant satire that's mocking weirdo French knights and is more concerned with drawing from Monty Python than French mythos.

Nippon made today would be completely different, it would be westerners attempting to draw inspiration from really cool Japanese history and folklore and offer their own twist on it while obviously trying to be respectful. Japanese, as would anyone else, would be really excited to see how they pan out especially if they already like the series. Getting perspectives and twists from very different parts of the world is really drat cool and would absolutely get their attention imo.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I mean if you are french, you have all these other cultures right next door that you were raised with that are also in this game.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Ireland is right next to britain and the only inclusion of anything Irish at all is the Fimir, the former rape monsters.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Aren't wood elves pretty much Irish?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Seams posted:

Beastmen are never getting an update. We’ll all be playing Warhammer: Total War VIII in pristine VR after the thirteenth Skaven DLC and they’ll still have the lovely Waagh mechanic and the the worst unit roster in the game.

:sickos:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sinteres posted:

There's Albion, which is filled with woad-painted naked Celts and ugly one-eyed turtle scorpion people (Fimir)

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Well, the word Albion traditionally refers specifically to the island of Britain.

Sinteres posted:

I guess they have a celtic sort of look but I feel like they are more Shakespeare fairy elves than anything else.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Sinteres posted:

theyre scottish

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
man

after 5700 hours in wh2 its time for me to take a break

gently caress

i doubt ill last 2 weeks this poo poo is CRACK

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ammanas posted:

man

gently caress

What the gently caress I thought I was crazy at 2.7k hours

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ammanas posted:

man

gently caress

That's 19% of the time since the game was released

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BillBear posted:

Not sure what all the worry is about, CA have proven for years they are perfectly capable of presenting non white/western cultures very tastefully and respectfully while also paying the rule of cool it's due. I'm confident they would handle Nippon/not Japan very well.

GW too, for that matter, have gotten much better. The IP is no longer solely directed by some northern British nerds in the 1980s.

There's no worry. Just myself and another poster dared to say "they should change everything in that region" (And I have all faith they will) and a bunch of goons decided to argue against the concept that racist depictions may be bad? Because... again I don't fully get it. It seems they ultimately agree that everything about GW's Nippon is racist, but they really really really wanted to argue that the name is fine and should stay! Lizardmen and Brets are racist so Nippon can't be racist / its okay if they are??

SA likes to pretend its more progressive than lots of other internet groups but this thread has been awfully CHUDy lately.

Yes, GW have gotten much better. I myself talked about that just a couple pages ago. But nobody wants to have a conversation they just want to shout down and dogpile.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This mfer thinks he's Vlad when he's actually Manny

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The originating post for the argument was flatly that there should not be fantasy Japan or Indian factions in the game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

As a cspam leftist poster, lol

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cardboard Fox posted:

This conversation has been interesting to read, but I just can't get over this magic sword called Toyota. This whole thing reads like a parody. What the hell was GW thinking when they came up with that?

Haha yeah that is wild, very wild.

Truly insane.

And holy poo poo Zaphod, literally no-one wants racist caricatures from the 80's. They just want a cool thematic fantasy Japanese faction, among others.

You've been incredibly annoying making GBS threads up the thread calling literally anyone who doesn't fully agree with you a racist and now Chuds as well.

Lay it off.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Zaphod posts exactly the same whether he's arguing about perceived racism or someone calling a game he likes "overrated."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gejnor posted:

And holy poo poo Zaphod, literally no-one wants racist caricatures from the 80's. They just want a cool thematic fantasy Japanese faction, among others.

I tried to make a concession and meet in the middle and move on.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but at this point we've moved to "Okay, all the LL lord names are racist, the culture is a caricature, the name of the religion is racist, and the unit types are racist, but lets keep the name"

Like, okay, but you're basically splitting hairs here and you've basically agreed with the original point I made. I'm not sure why you're so focused on the name alone and think it has to be saved, but at least we all agree on literally everything else about the lore of that faction needing to be completely deleted and replaced.

I just wish y'all had realized that was what we suggested to start with.

And again not sure why "just change everything" bothers you so much if you agree on the former part, but whatever!

And several goons agreed. And... other goons keep arguing the details. Don't get mad at me because the whole thread decided to argue about it.

We agree that everything about the old 80s Nippon has to go, and a new faction in Japan would be cool. That's all that was said in the first place. As usual, I keep trying to drop this and people keep arguing the point and then everybody blames me and acts like I'm the sole instigator. Not remotely reasonable. If the thread really doesn't want that, why are so many fighting? Not everybody is arguing this in good faith like you may be. If the thread doesn't want me to talk about this, stop making bad-faith arguments calling me out by name! Seriously.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 3, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Seams posted:

Beastmen got the only update they need in SFO :colbert:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Using the word Japan is bad since the japanese people do not use that word but instead use Nippon and Nihon.

Japan is a very imperial and western word forced upon an entire group of people.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Kazzah posted:

That's 19% of the time since the game was released

should have hit 25%. disappointed in myself

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

Australians have no culture. Point still stands.

I totally get the joke here, but straight up the original custodians of Australia have one of the oldest cultures in history, with actual oral records going back for thousands of years, the European settlers/invaders decided they didn’t have a culture at all and weren’t really a nation because they didn’t have anything said Europeans recognised as culture.

In comparison the New Zealand Maori got a treaty because they had a king and a culture that was observably similar to that of the European settlers/invaders.

It would be hard as hell but a Dreamtime based culture for an Australian expy would be incredible.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I think in the end what I really hope for is a dude with a katana fighting a hind-legs walking crocodile that's using arcane power fists while in the background an angry t-rex is being mauled and electrocuted by a Nue.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I totally get the joke here, but straight up the original custodians of Australia have one of the oldest cultures in history, with actual oral records going back for thousands of years, the European settlers/invaders decided they didn’t have a culture at all and weren’t really a nation because they didn’t have anything said Europeans recognised as culture.

In comparison the New Zealand Maori got a treaty because they had a king and a culture that was observably similar to that of the European settlers/invaders.

It would be hard as hell but a Dreamtime based culture for an Australian expy would be incredible.

That would be pretty great but man I feel like "hard as hell" is an understatement. But yeah I used to devour dreamtime story books when I was a kid, and any time someone tells me the Lizardmen have goofy names I always remember the story of Tiddalik the frog who drank all the water.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

It would actually be rad as hell to have Aboriginal faction, and sorry about the joke I hadn't considered it applying to natives.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That is my dream game where they keep adding cultures and mythos of cultures.

That is kinda what makes dominions so good and I want to see that in a total war game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Gotta say folks, there is just something cathartic about running a goonsquad of rear end in a top hat frenchmen and their incredibly pissed off Damoiselle de Guerre all up and down the desert knocking over skeleton people's houses and taking all their stuff

It's a good kinda vibe, y'all should try it