Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tei posted:

The weird map where Portugal don't agree with UK or east europe.

Also, I feel bad about the mediterraneans choosing Alaska has destination.

For some reason a shitload of Portuguese immigrants ended up in the area between Providence RI and New Bedford MA.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Istanbul making a great showing. All of my female middle school students are obsessed with Bananafish currently for some reason.

It has attractive young men who bone each-other and are also in the mafia or something so sometimes people die and there's mega drama, and the lead dude is moody and troubled.
Basically catnip to exactly that demographic.

Grape fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SniHjen posted:

https://twitter.com/MangaDex/status/1364161501083361281

Those little Green dots in the ocean made me go to Google Maps, I didn't know that a bunch of those tiny islands were inhabited.

Notable: Guam and Reunion Island.

Once again Africa is the only continent that doesn't deserve to be nuked with cobalt bombs.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Shout out Bosnia

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Lets have some maps, shall we?

Luxembourg is oddly prominent on those maps, especially the one I kept in the quote, which doesn't quite make sense, as Luxembourg was historically much larger, but also it was always part of some other region or another until the late 1800s. Especially the "Protestant Reformation at its Peak" map, which showed Calvinism and/or Lutheranism affected Bitburg, Arlon, and Metz, but not Luxembourg City? (E: Looks like Luxembourg should have been at its largest extent at that time, roughly 4x its current size.)

That's kind of a nitpick, but less of a nitpick: the coloration of Switzerland is odd. Switzerland was never all protestant-dominated even at the height of the reformation. Ticino, Schwyz, etc., were always firmly Catholic, so I don't know why they're showing it as "Calvinist influenced" if that's what the dashed lines means.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 2, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
One of my favourite parts about the reformation and aftermath is that Saxony became the leading protestant power in the imperial diet, but when the Duke of Saxony became catholic so he could be elected king of Poland he refused to step down from leading the protestant block and for the remainder of the Holy Roman Empire's existence the protestant block in the diet was lead by a catholic.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

it is a population map

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A politically loaded one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/mattysino/status/1366662675564883978

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

This isn't the Balldo thread.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Japan also has park golf, which is like golf and croquet together. It looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acHFmF8ecQ4

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eh, to a first approximation

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Subjunctive posted:

eh, to a first approximation

yeah, if i were making a low poly state map before the textures pop in, i could do worse

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The UK, italy and greece is a dangerous alliance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I see what you did there, Sweden.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I see what you did there, Sweden.

As a child, it always seemed obvious that the Swedish design was a rip-off of the Danish design, but with silly Swedish colours instead of the obviously superior Danish red and white.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spazzle posted:

This isn't the Balldo thread.
Taipei is stored in the balls.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Tejas, La Florida y California del Norte.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I remember ned flanders says something like "between New York and Los Angeles is the little bit we call america".

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hmm, but that doesn't include Springfield? Weird.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jippa posted:

I remember ned flanders says something like "between New York and Los Angeles is the little bit we call america".

Hank Hill

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
It may not be true anymore but when I worked at Silvercup Stuidos in Queens NY it was considered ‘the largest film studio East of Los Angeles’

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Still don't believe in underground cryptids?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Don't look at me, I decided this year that I believe in magic so cryptids are definitely real.

Real:
Magic
Cryptids

Not-real:
Economics
the need for computer touchers
Cucumbers
star trek

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

In my tiny hometown of about 8k people a minimum of 1 building would get burned down on Devil's Night every year. I don't think that still happens but I know it happened for a solid 15 years or so.

e: When I moved out of Michigan for the first time I was really baffled to learn that most outlanders don't have a word for Devil's Night.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

nwah

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cracker King posted:

It may not be true anymore but when I worked at Silvercup Stuidos in Queens NY it was considered ‘the largest film studio East of Los Angeles’

This explains why they couldn’t stop there.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Cracker King posted:

Mantis42 posted:

Still don't believe in underground cryptids?

Caves <=> Vampires <=> Missing people.

=>
=>
=>

Vampires exist

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/ChiVaxBot/status/1367294130678870017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What's the population breakdown here

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

And, of course:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SniHjen posted:

https://twitter.com/MangaDex/status/1364161501083361281

Those little Green dots in the ocean made me go to Google Maps, I didn't know that a bunch of those tiny islands were inhabited.

Notable: Guam and Reunion Island.

amazed that the Ryukyu Isles reject Japanese cultural hegemony like this

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Soviet Commubot posted:

e: When I moved out of Michigan for the first time I was really baffled to learn that most outlanders don't have a word for Devil's Night.

As a California native, I am only aware of Devil's Night thanks to acclaimed historical documentary The Crow.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Is this like, the only thing that Connecticut and New Jersey share that New York DOESN'T?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Communism progress bar
[######################==]
98%

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

every map of chicago is the same lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU