Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Can I play Oculus desktop games on my quest wirelessly with Virtual Desktop or do you have to use the cable? I am running steam games fine but it was bugging me about the cable when I tried an Oculus game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

Can I play Oculus desktop games on my quest wirelessly with Virtual Desktop or do you have to use the cable? I am running steam games fine but it was bugging me about the cable when I tried an Oculus game.

You can. You have to start them from VD system menu.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Man I just read an article that apparently that gorilla tag game that has had dev updates posted on here is now the most highly rated free vr app on steam with like 45k players! That's awesome!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Turin Turambar posted:

You can. You have to start them from VD system menu.

Yeah it'll auto populate a games tab in the menu with your Oculus library, and anything it doesn't catch you can just manually launch the EXE from the desktop utility.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I haven't played it since the day it came out so I forget, can you do private lobbies in Gorilla Tag? Like if my friend and I wanted to practice without having a bunch of other monkeys running around like they're on fire?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

explosivo posted:

I haven't played it since the day it came out so I forget, can you do private lobbies in Gorilla Tag? Like if my friend and I wanted to practice without having a bunch of other monkeys running around like they're on fire?

Yep, enter a code on the computer and tell your buddy that code. Bonus for private lobby is that you can use both the upper and lower map.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DelphiAegis posted:

Yep, enter a code on the computer and tell your buddy that code. Bonus for private lobby is that you can use both the upper and lower map.

Awesome, thank you!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

are there any apps that just give you cool scenes to walk around and explore? Google Earth VR is super impressive of course but more sci-fi or fantasy themed would be cool. I'm assuming people have put cool stuff into vr chat but I don't know how to find it

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Has there been a VR dungeon crawler RPG yet? Are there any being made?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Booyah- posted:

are there any apps that just give you cool scenes to walk around and explore? Google Earth VR is super impressive of course but more sci-fi or fantasy themed would be cool. I'm assuming people have put cool stuff into vr chat but I don't know how to find it

Couple Steam freebies you could try are The Dawn of Art and Dreams of Dali. Wait for the elephants to show up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

There's some neat stuff in tilt brush like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TceqUX8JG9U

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Has there been a VR dungeon crawler RPG yet? Are there any being made?

Ancient Dungeon and Tea for God are both VR roguelikes, though still in development.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How's Crisis Vrigade (ugh that name) and it's sequel? I just picked up the first one to see if it'll be a fun co-op game, we recently talked about playing actual Time Crisis in VR but this looks better.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

explosivo posted:

How's Crisis Vrigade (ugh that name) and it's sequel? I just picked up the first one to see if it'll be a fun co-op game, we recently talked about playing actual Time Crisis in VR but this looks better.

Crisis VRigade is really frustrating to play, and not very good.

One of our very own in this thread is working on something that looks better, I think they're calling it "Bullet Points", and I think they mentioned working on a demo for it but I don't know if they've released anything yet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aw drat that's a bummer, the reviews seemed generally pretty positive. I already bought it so I guess I'll see for myself later :v:

I will also look out for the goon project though, I remember seeing it mentioned before. The more the merrier!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Booyah- posted:

Try searching videogame titles like World of Warcraft, Halo or JRPG's in general in VRChat's world search bar. I know for a fact there's a bunch of really great game-ripped locations to go walking through. There's some nice Star Wars ones too.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 3, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

explosivo posted:

Aw drat that's a bummer, the reviews seemed generally pretty positive. I already bought it so I guess I'll see for myself later :v:

I will also look out for the goon project though, I remember seeing it mentioned before. The more the merrier!

Well I've only played the free version on Sidequest, maybe they've improved it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tip posted:

Well I've only played the free version on Sidequest, maybe they've improved it.

I'll report back! The sequel *looks* much better but I'd be waiting for co-op. This was like $5 too so if it sucks it's not a tremendous loss.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

mattfl posted:

So I think I wanna get into the whole VR racing stuff, dirt 2 and project cars etc.

Is there a good entry level wheel to pick up and am I going to need a 30xx series card to try this out or would something like the Shadow PC cloud computer work for this?

Racing games are very scalable, so you don't need a supercomputer. Having one is nice though.

G29/920 is an excellent buy as a starter wheel. The quality is good enough that it provide good consistent control across many games, and is built to last if you end up getting obsessed.

Thrustmaster's t300 is the next step up, but the t150 should be avoided as it doesn't have any of the modular elements of the thrustmaster ecosystem, and just isn't as good as the g29.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I tried the gorilla game but the movement is too much for me, I'll have to try it again when I'm a bit more acclimatized because it looks hilarious.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Got my headset in and was super impressed with the tutorial stuff so far. Went through that and a little tetris effect with only a headache. I think that's partly with how tight the base strap is on my head, going to swap it out asap. Also there's a gap on the right side of my nose letting light in that I hope the silicon eye covers I ordered will help with. Need to setup sidequest also and try Gorilla lyfe.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
oh man i cant wait to beat this song in beatsaber and upload a vid. yall should try it, its in my mega.nz files
https://geometriclullaby.bandcamp.com/track/blow-this-dick

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

explosivo posted:

vrigade isnt bad but the difficulty is artificially inflated due to your bullets not going where you point your gun in a consistent manner

operation serpens is a similar game but much better imo

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay, I think last time I didn't get it but I figured out Gorilla Tag tonight and my friend and I had a blast in a private room. Exhausting as hell though, goddamn.

prom candy posted:

I tried the gorilla game but the movement is too much for me, I'll have to try it again when I'm a bit more acclimatized because it looks hilarious.

I felt not so great at first but after moving around in the game for a bit I did get used to it. What I didn't get used to was trying to stop myself from falling over, my feet were sore when I was done because I was doing so much balancing while jumping around.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

explosivo posted:

Okay, I think last time I didn't get it but I figured out Gorilla Tag tonight and my friend and I had a blast in a private room. Exhausting as hell though, goddamn.

I felt not so great at first but after moving around in the game for a bit I did get used to it. What I didn't get used to was trying to stop myself from falling over, my feet were sore when I was done because I was doing so much balancing while jumping around.

Yeah I just got my quest yesterday and I'm finding anything with locomotion is rough. I'm easing in with with stuff like Thrill of the Fight and Superhot. I ordered a cable as well because my wifi seems to struggle a bit to keep up with virtual desktop and I've heard dropped frames can make motion sickness way worse. Looking forward to playing more games as I get used to it but I don't want to make myself sick.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Shine posted:

Dirt Rally is loving dope in VR. The Lancia Stratos is such a fun car, god drat. Just gun it sideways into that caution-unseen-2-over-crest-tightens-don't-cut and have the time of your life.

Tip posted:

Dirt Rally with a good force feedback wheel and pedals is still one of the absolute best experiences I've ever had in VR. The immersion is so high with that wheel jerking around in your hand, and the only way to win is to be constantly on the edge of losing control.

gently caress, I need to set my wheel back up and try it with my Quest 2.

Just made a push/pull shifter based off 2000cc Subaru in DR2, current class in JRC2

pics and deets for anyone that's a dork for this stuff
https://imgur.com/a/Y7Ma9Ay

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

prom candy posted:

Yeah I just got my quest yesterday and I'm finding anything with locomotion is rough. I'm easing in with with stuff like Thrill of the Fight and Superhot. I ordered a cable as well because my wifi seems to struggle a bit to keep up with virtual desktop and I've heard dropped frames can make motion sickness way worse. Looking forward to playing more games as I get used to it but I don't want to make myself sick.

I still mostly only do games with teleporting, the games with locomotion always make me feel worse after a session. Games like Thrill of the Fight and Superhot are great because you just move around in your defined space and that's all you need, or you can't move around at all. I've had mine for a couple months and while I'm more acclimated to VR now I still have games that I can't touch, but there's a lot of great stuff out there that aren't fast paced shooters so I don't really miss em. I recently picked up Until You Fall which is a great game and very comfortable to play thanks to the teleporting and the levels you go through being fairly linear.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Has anything really eclipsed beatsaber for a rythm game?

I play a bunch of pistol whip but for the quest, nothing really seems to beat it for me

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

I play a bunch of pistol whip but for the quest, nothing really seems to beat it for me

No.

Steam stats for the past month

I had to search what Iriun vr was.
edit:
https://www.roadtovr.com/quest-2-most-used-vr-headset-steam-record-high/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 3, 2021

Freddles
Feb 5, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

I prefer Synth Riders. It's faster paced and the songs are overall better.

Also prefer Pistol Whip, but only on deadeye - the aim assist is way too strong otherwise.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

prom candy posted:

It never acclimatized for me and I have a pretty drat good vr stomach.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Freddles posted:

I prefer Synth Riders. It's faster paced and the songs are overall better.

Also prefer Pistol Whip, but only on deadeye - the aim assist is way too strong otherwise.

I bounced off Synth Riders pretty hard. The core mechanic of "put your hand here and 'ride the line'" feels way worse than slicing through notes to me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m surprised that the Vive still has so many more users than the rift. I always thought the rift was more popular

I should plug the monoculus rift back in and see if I can knock the oculus dk2 off the list

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m surprised that the Vive still has so many more users than the rift. I always thought the rift was more popular

I should plug the monoculus rift back in and see if I can knock the oculus dk2 off the list

Could it be because the Vive was kinda-sorta in first with room-scale VR, and Oculus playing catch-up after the fact? Oculus undoubtedly had the better controllers in the end, but the HTC Vive did initially offer a hands-down better VR experience so that might be where the extra sales came from.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Soundboxing is a bit rough around the edges, and maps are of very mixed quality, but there is a TON of variety and making maps and playing them is a blast. It's also the best workout as you're doing full punch movements the whole time.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I imagine more rift users have upgraded as they're already in the ecosystem

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Could it be because the Vive was kinda-sorta in first with room-scale VR, and Oculus playing catch-up after the fact? Oculus undoubtedly had the better controllers in the end, but the HTC Vive did initially offer a hands-down better VR experience so that might be where the extra sales came from.

Yep, while at first Oculus was at the forefront of VR, the release of CV1 was later than it should have been, and in the end Vive could market themselves like the ones with 'true room scale (tm) VR' and with proper VR controls, the Touch came later. Additionally, Vive had the Steam seal of approval.

The second factor is how Oculus has offered some side/upgrades with the Rift S and Quest lineup for affordable price, while the Index price made that no everyone could graduate from Vive to Index.

edit: check this graph, mousing over you can see the values of Sept 2019

Rift cv1 35.8%
Rift S 13%
Vive 32.7%
Index 4.9%

It was indeed a bit more popular.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 3, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Holy crap am I ever sore from Thrill of the Fight

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Thom and the Heads posted:

I bounced off Synth Riders pretty hard. The core mechanic of "put your hand here and 'ride the line'" feels way worse than slicing through notes to me.

After initially getting VR just for Beatsaber and playing it a whole lot it almost feels like going to any other rhythm game will suck. I played about an hour of Synth Riders last night after picking it up on a steam bundle deal with Thrill of the Fight and Eleven Table tennis. The latter two of which I totally suck at.
The base songs seem to feel better in Synth Riders, but the custom tracks certainly left me wanting in selection and quality. The line riding feels "floaty", though that may be just due to the weakness of the rumble in the rift controllers. The walls often feel like they appear out of nowhere on the default settings, so I oft found myself failing a song because some wall I was supposed to duck under slapped me in the face since I was too busy reading notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

After initially getting VR just for Beatsaber and playing it a whole lot it almost feels like going to any other rhythm game will suck. I played about an hour of Synth Riders last night after picking it up on a steam bundle deal with Thrill of the Fight and Eleven Table tennis. The latter two of which I totally suck at.
The base songs seem to feel better in Synth Riders, but the custom tracks certainly left me wanting in selection and quality. The line riding feels "floaty", though that may be just due to the weakness of the rumble in the rift controllers. The walls often feel like they appear out of nowhere on the default settings, so I oft found myself failing a song because some wall I was supposed to duck under slapped me in the face since I was too busy reading notes.

Yeah, the community of modders and mappers really makes Beatsaber. Synth riders is fun but there's not as much high quality content there. The 'Force' mode is worth a try, it adds a bit of extra complexity as you have to box the notes (which also makes it more of a work out). It's also a lot easier on your wrists. I can't play Beat Saber on Expert+ for more than an hour or so without getting RSI.