Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

loopsheloop posted:

Any intro resources on guitar modding? Written for idiots, hopefully?

Guitar Player Magazine guitar repair guide by Dan Erlewine. It will teach you anything and everything you would ever want to know about guitar repair. It's well written and easy to follow, and everyone reading this post should buy a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
To go with that: the whole StewMac YouTube channel is informative and has immaculate vibes.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

To go with that: the whole StewMac YouTube channel is informative and has immaculate vibes.

YES. Dan Erlewine is a god.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Dan is a awesome. That book is totally worth the money too. Can't recommend it enough

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i like premier guitar for mods

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Nthing the Dan recommendations.
What are you looking to mod?
Paint, electronics, want it to shoot lasers and/or fire?

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Thanks for all the feedback, I'm waaaaay down a YouTube hole with Dan Erlewine now and loving it.

I just picked up a Mascis JM to have a cheap little riffer and thought it might be fun to tool around with. As soon as you start reading forums it's all "bone nut mastery arm antiquities 2" and I kind of wanna understand the fundamentals before just whacking the thing with a screwdriver.

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 2, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

loopsheloop posted:

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm waaaaay down a YouTube hole with Dan Erlewine now and loving it.

I just picked up a Mascis JM to have a cheap little riffer and thought it might be fun to tool around with. As soon as you start reading forums it's all "bone nut mastery arm antiquities 2" and I kind of wanna understand the fundamentals before just whacking the thing with a screwdriver.

The neck and body are relatively sorted and great. Then you have pretty much infinite options to change the pickups, the pickguard, the knobs, the electronics, etc.

Though you’ll probably have less pickguard options than with a strat/tele and you probably won’t be as keen to change the pickups from stock, which is great. Maybe add a kill switch? They often come built into replacement/upgrade switchplates

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

homewrecker posted:

Yes for the THR - there's a volume knob for the USB/AUX output, separate from the volume knob for the Guitar output, which makes it easy to adjust the levels to your needs. I have my THR connected to my PC via USB, but there's also an AUX port (3.5 mm).

Fats posted:

The Katanas have a 3.5mm aux in, and I found this on reddit that makes it sound like it'll take audio from USB, too. You have to control the aux volume from the source, though.
Thank you! It seems like the Yamaha might have the better solution here. I can't seem to decide which one of these I like better and I probably won't be able to try them out myself in the near future, but I guess both of them are good at bedroom levels.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Fun fact about Dan Erlewine, he and his brothers gave Iggy Pop the nickname Iggy.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

Fun fact about Dan Erlewine, he and his brothers gave Iggy Pop the nickname Iggy.

Just when you think he couldn't get any more awesome....

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
If I was going to buy a Telecaster in the $1k-1.5K USD range...what should I be looking at?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'd probably grab one of the Fender Vintera Roadworns, or a used US whatever.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I haven't touched one, but I've seen people raving about the fender american professional series II line and the Telecaster is right at the upper end of that price range.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SnatchRabbit posted:

If I was going to buy a Telecaster in the $1k-1.5K USD range...what should I be looking at?

You can get a new American Pro at the top end of that range but I would personally grab the purple road worn 50s Tele. I've seen them around 8-900.

Edit: The Miami blue American Professional is very cool though

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 2, 2021

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

SnatchRabbit posted:

Get USA made G&L ASAT.

Can get a used one for like a grand or less.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

G&L is the most legit. If it were me, however, I'd scour Reverb for "FSR" stuff, or the Fender Special Run. There's usually something interesting and a bit unique in there.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 2, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

gonna throw a curveball here: Reverend Greg Koch signature Gristlemaster. I'm partial to the purple, but pretty much all the colors rule. Fluences, roasted maple neck, locking tuners. WAY nicer than anything else in the range.

C'mon man this is hot as a pistol

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I've never seen Reverend in a shop around here. That looks awesome. I like how it has a boost switch built in and then it seems to have a better bridge and all these improvements. Only thing I wonder about is that lip catching the pick during some funky strumming. I want to get my hands on that if I can find one around.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

former glory posted:

I've never seen Reverend in a shop around here. That looks awesome. I like how it has a boost switch built in and then it seems to have a better bridge and all these improvements. Only thing I wonder about is that lip catching the pick during some funky strumming. I want to get my hands on that if I can find one around.

It's not actually a boost switch- it's the voice selector for the fishmans, which to be fair does actually sort of have that effect. It's basically Blackguard vs Whiteguard tele sounds. The lip you won't notice at all while playing.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Gramps posted:

gonna throw a curveball here: Reverend Greg Koch signature Gristlemaster. I'm partial to the purple, but pretty much all the colors rule. Fluences, roasted maple neck, locking tuners. WAY nicer than anything else in the range.

C'mon man this is hot as a pistol

You had me at Roasted Maple. Looks like it also comes with a compound radius neck which I'm super partial to on my Charvel dk 24.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Watch this and tell me you don't love both of these dudes. Greg and Ken are both extremely large men of Sasquatchian proportions, and they were both very nice to me and generous with their time when I cornered them at NAMM a few years ago. Greg's my hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV0uIVhF2KY

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Just so you know: the Reverend Gristlemaster has a bigger body than a standard Tele (which looks like a ukulele in Koch’s hands).

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Xabi posted:

Just so you know: the Reverend Gristlemaster has a bigger body than a standard Tele (which looks like a ukulele in Koch’s hands).

They're only like 1-2 percent bigger. They still fit in the vast majority of Tele cases.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just don't understand why putting the control plate backwards is the default orientation for Telecasters. KNOBS FIRST, SELECTOR LAST!!! :colbert:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I just don't understand why putting the control plate backwards is the default orientation for Telecasters. KNOBS FIRST, SELECTOR LAST!!! :colbert:

Those of us that are chronic switch flippers mid solo need it right there. I don't want to have to even lift off the bridge just whack it with a pinky and keep a schweedlin. You're 100 percent right if you don't do that nonsense though

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gramps posted:

Those of us that are chronic switch flippers mid solo need it right there. I don't want to have to even lift off the bridge just whack it with a pinky and keep a schweedlin. You're 100 percent right if you don't do that nonsense though

I accidentally hit my strat selector while strumming a lot but I'm new and bad.

Corollary: tell me I don't even know how to play guitar yet and don't need an Empress Reverb.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you have enough pedals you don't even have to know how to play:jiggled:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

mango sentinel posted:

Corollary: tell me I don't even know how to play guitar yet and don't need an Empress Reverb.

Use the money on lessons you dingus.

e: don't ask how many only lightly used pedals I have.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I got other money set aside for lessons

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Oh, carry on then.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

Any gear you buy that makes you kick the door in as soon as you get home and run to your guitars is money well spent. A great reverb can definitely be that type of thing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gramps posted:

I like to do those pinky swells on Telecasters :3:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I like to do those pinky swells on Telecasters :3:

Have you seen Greg Koch do the tone control wah trick? jeez

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Uh, this followed me home from the pawn shop.

Marshall(duh) MA100H, Made in Vietnam, beat up pretty good, but seems to work fine. Do I need a 100 watt tube amp? Well, no, but...

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Got my Boss Katana 50 in today. I feel a little mixed. It doesn't sound as great as I thought it would(I've been playing through guitar rig on some old computer speakers, so I assumed it would be much better), however, it didn't sound terrible. But, I get the feeling with all the effects and stuff, it'll probably take a little fiddling and learning to dial in to what I'm looking for. I'm not good at describing sounds, but I felt the nice meaty low end palm mute type of sounds were lacking.

I haven't had time yet to hook it to a pc(which btw it didn't come with a USB cable that I saw, so I guess I need to get one) either. I'll have more time in a few days to play with all that and can ask more specific questions about it later. However I have one now - Since I'm actually playing through an amp now, and not through interface/guitar rig on pc speakers, will pickups come into play more? I didn't notice much difference in sound between my guitar with EMGs and my brother's Les Paul copy through guitar rig but I'm curious to try my guitar out on the amp when I get it back.

e: I don't have any pedals yet. If I want to play a lot of metal what should be the first one I get? Do I even need one? Will it even make the amp sound any different?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 3, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gramps posted:

Have you seen Greg Koch do the tone control wah trick? jeez

gently caress yeah that rules, too.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Got my Boss Katana 50 in today. I feel a little mixed. It doesn't sound as great as I thought it would(I've been playing through guitar rig on some old computer speakers, so I assumed it would be much better), however, it didn't sound terrible. But, I get the feeling with all the effects and stuff, it'll probably take a little fiddling and learning to dial in to what I'm looking for. I'm not good at describing sounds, but I felt the nice meaty low end palm mute type of sounds were lacking.

I haven't had time yet to hook it to a pc(which btw it didn't come with a USB cable that I saw, so I guess I need to get one) either. I'll have more time in a few days to play with all that and can ask more specific questions about it later. However I have one now - Since I'm actually playing through an amp now, and not through interface/guitar rig on pc speakers, will pickups come into play more? I didn't notice much difference in sound between my guitar with EMGs and my brother's Les Paul copy through guitar rig but I'm curious to try my guitar out on the amp when I get it back.

e: I don't have any pedals yet. If I want to play a lot of metal what should be the first one I get? Do I even need one? Will it even make the amp sound any different?

No pedals yet, the first thing you should do is learn a little bit about the EQ and start tuning it to your preference. Every room is different so you'll need to tweak the EQ to get the tone you'd like. The built in overdrive and distortion effects are perfectly capable of doing what you want right now. I'd look into rigs from bands you dig, then try to approximate their gear with the modelers in the Katana. I've had good success doing this with my GT-1 on classic rock tunes. I don't even use the amp models (you should tho, the Katana's are awesome), just distortion, delay and a little EQ.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 3, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
How does the Katana 50 compare to its bigger siblings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Malaria posted:

Get USA made G&L ASAT.

Can get a used one for like a grand or less.

I've got a g&l asat classic and I would caution you to go play one before you buy. The build quality is excellent, but the mfr pickups might not be what you're looking for if you're hoping for a stereotypical tele tone.