Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

never seen this guy before but this is some incredible content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAZI5GcPm8c

marion hammer is an enemy of birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Summoning Salt reached 1 million subscribers and made a Summoning Salt video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO93JUEYVQw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dmboogie posted:

this is a fantastic video, I love that most of it is just him adding progressively more poo poo onto a 3D map of north america over the course of the video

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's very good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

e X posted:

Well, I found the news that Nickelodeon created a whole studio, just for Avatar spin-offs, super disheartening.

None of them will be great, none of them will be terrible, we will just drown in an ocean of mediocrity

Maybe the boys picked up a book or two and read about certain groups being discriminated against under the status quo since Korra ended.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Joshua Graham's line from Fallout New Vegas getting turned into Christian social media inspirational quotes.
hold the loving phone what line of his turned into what??? (spoiler tag it for reasons, please)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

BFC posted:

hold the loving phone what line of his turned into what??? (spoiler tag it for reasons, please)

e: i'm sorry if this doesn't meet what you wanted for spoilers tags, but i think the best way to see it is to...really see how much its been rehashed by people who truly have no idea

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BFC posted:

"I survived because the fire inside burned brighter than the fire around me."

^you'll see in the edits they add a "me" after "the fire inside" which makes the line much clunkier.

I think ropekid was on a vacation somewhere and saw it etched into a wooden fence or something.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 3, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jimbot posted:

Maybe the boys picked up a book or two and read about certain groups being discriminated against under the status quo since Korra ended.

Maybe whatever inevitable live action remake of Korra will have free reign to spread the plot over the like five seasons (minimum) it really needed to thoughtfully approach any of the difficult topics it raises. Also just bin 90% of season 2, including the ending where she loses touch with all her past lives. Replace it with a half season of her just hanging out with her polar bear dog. They did that polar bear dog dirty by the end compared to Appa.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Half of Season 2 is Tenzin and his siblings which owned and further proves the correct interpretation that Aang is a massive gently caress up and the introduction of critically important and beloved series mainstay, Varrick. And like 10% of it is that kind of cute flashback to the first avatar which was fine. Also Bolin's whole arc of being femdommed to near death.

Season 2 is perfectly fine except all the times Korra is on screen. Even the stuff with her dad is kind of neat. It's also the only season where Mako had a reason to exist in the story at all, so kudos to them for them to realize they could make him a real character for a bit.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Season 2 is like three storylines that happen completely outside of each other and almost come across as the boys getting bored of each before ending it in a rad but really nonsensical way.

I cannot overstate how loving into how it ended I was.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Half of Season 2 is Tenzin and his siblings which owned and further proves the correct interpretation that Aang is a massive gently caress up and the introduction of critically important and beloved series mainstay, Varrick. And like 10% of it is that kind of cute flashback to the first avatar which was fine. Also Bolin's whole arc of being femdommed to near death.

Season 2 is perfectly fine except all the times Korra is on screen. Even the stuff with her dad is kind of neat. It's also the only season where Mako had a reason to exist in the story at all, so kudos to them for them to realize they could make him a real character for a bit.

Aang being a Bad Dad was a bit sad, but it does make sense and I don't mind it re: a way the genocide of his whole nation might gently caress up his priorities when it comes to his kids. Varrick was amusing sometimes but the whole kooooky evil capitalist guy who mostly seemed to get redeemed because they had fun writing him kind of sucked, but Zhu Li can stay. Desna and Eska got done dirty, too, and it'd be cool if they got more screen time being something besides Evil Twins or generic background world leaders.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The wandavision line would not have caught so much flack if it wasn’t for the fact that the same deeply incurious, unversed people getting knocked the gently caress over in wonder at a line that sounds like it came from a hallmark card hadn’t also spent the last year screaming for the bloody murder of Martin Scorsese for saying their cartoon punchman movies weren’t high cinema

Also, after the last year I'm not gonna pass judgement on a Hallmark Card sentiment on grief hitting a little harder for some folks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really didn't like the end of Season 2, it felt dumb in a bad way. Giant Kaiju Dark Avatar Fight and Jinora astrally projecting herself were duuuuuuumb. And I was mostly fine with the giant robot in Season 4!

Anyway, there's like 1.5 seasons of really good poo poo in Korra, but it's all in the back half.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I'm sorry if you don't think giant korra doing an f10 is rad we can't be friends

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Avatar (and I guess by extension Korra) is a show that by all accounts I should like, but I just kinda keep bouncing off a few episodes in. I remember catching a few episodes on Nickelodeon when it was first airing way back when and enjoying it, but I guess not enough to go outta my way to watch it. Everything I've seen of it has consistently been "yeah this is a good show I should watch" but it never works in practice. I dunno, it's weird.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Lotus Aura posted:

Avatar (and I guess by extension Korra) is a show that by all accounts I should like, but I just kinda keep bouncing off a few episodes in. I remember catching a few episodes on Nickelodeon when it was first airing way back when and enjoying it, but I guess not enough to go outta my way to watch it.
This is exactly what I did until watching it with a friend which helped a lot. The first season is the roughest in terms of what it eventually becomes imo but it's good even then and eventually ends up really coming together and staying that way probably from the first season finale all the way to the end.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think ropekid was on a vacation somewhere and saw it etched into a wooden fence or something.

Not certain, but I'm guessing was visiting Zion National Park, because I believe he's said he's visited it before, and that was what inspired Honest Hearts.

He also probably thought the same thing most people think nowadays when they see that line used as a motivational phrase.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Arist posted:

I really didn't like the end of Season 2, it felt dumb in a bad way. Giant Kaiju Dark Avatar Fight and Jinora astrally projecting herself were duuuuuuumb. And I was mostly fine with the giant robot in Season 4!

Anyway, there's like 1.5 seasons of really good poo poo in Korra, but it's all in the back half.

I didnt mind the giant robot that much either. Though season 4 was more strange with how it handled the main villain who came across as unpredictably reasonable/destructive.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DeafNote posted:

I didnt mind the giant robot that much either. Though season 4 was more strange with how it handled the main villain who came across as unpredictably reasonable/destructive.

Right up until the end she felt kind of like one of those calm hitler memes. "I just want to unify the earth nation, is that so wrong, Avatar?" Meanwhile she's deporting anyone not ethnically pure, building labor camps and constructing a magical spirit nuke to use on other nations.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Actually she was "sending them to 're-education centers' so they can learn useful trade skills"!

Bolin is such a massive rube when Mako would be a way better choice to be indoctrinated into a fascist regime when he was literally a cop.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

stillvisions posted:

Also, after the last year I'm not gonna pass judgement on a Hallmark Card sentiment on grief hitting a little harder for some folks.

I don't even think it's especially bad line for what it is, I just personally refuse to not make fun of people playing it up like world-shattering, revelatory poetry after they spent so long trying to insist that no, gently caress these old white guys who have devoted their lives to preserving unique voices in one of the most transient artistic mediums, THEY are the ones who know what real art is and how cinema can evoke deep emotion and reflection, and it's when captain america and bucky barnes share a longing glance that's precisely calculated by the disney marketing department to last just long enough to potentially read gay subtext into it without the risk of alienating homophobes with money.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Max Wilco posted:

Not certain, but I'm guessing was visiting Zion National Park, because I believe he's said he's visited it before, and that was what inspired Honest Hearts.

He also probably thought the same thing most people think nowadays when they see that line used as a motivational phrase.

iirc that was like his family vacation spot, and I can tell ya I can see why it would inspire him (though I went in like November when it was cold and dreary)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nuns with Guns posted:

Desna and Eska got done dirty, too, and it'd be cool if they got more screen time being something besides Evil Twins or generic background world leaders.

Large agreement.

Also gently caress old cinema boys club white guys.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 3, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The mecha duel between Asami and her evil dad needed to be way better.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Martin Scorcese has, personally, done more for uplifting the voices and careers of directors and creators of color than the entire disney corporation ever has in its nearly century long existence though both direct support and larger efforts like the world cinema project, so please understand that this is said with no cruelty: you have absolutely no loving idea what you are talking about.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I don't care about disney other than knowing they're crap already, they just also blow.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Been getting a lot of this lady's videos recommended to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Ruw8-AaEU

She does stage combat and comments on movie fight choreography, female boob armor and stuff like that. Pretty interesting stuff.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nuns with Guns posted:

Aang being a Bad Dad was a bit sad, but it does make sense and I don't mind it re: a way the genocide of his whole nation might gently caress up his priorities when it comes to his kids.

Aang sacrifices his relationship with two of his kids in order to put the proper attentions into Tenzin - the last remaining hope for carrying on the Air Nomads culture and bending, which is sad but also feels really grounded. It's understandable why Aang did what he did, and it ultimately bore fruit in Tenzin forming the Air Acolytes and carrying on airbending with his own family, but there were very real repercussions born from that decision and we get to see how it hosed up Bumi and Kya. It's a heavy storybeat that I think is actually handled with a lot of maturity.

...But oh wait never mind lol after season three thousands of airbenders are just bullshitted into existence, so Aang's sacrifices were entirely pointless and he was a deadbeat dad to 2/3rds of his kids for nothing! :downs:

BFC posted:

Actually she was "sending them to 're-education centers' so they can learn useful trade skills"!

Bolin is such a massive rube when Mako would be a way better choice to be indoctrinated into a fascist regime when he was literally a cop.

Eh, I actually kinda like the storybeat that Bolin fell in with Earthbending Hitler because he's spent the last couple seasons being the butt of the joke or second fiddle, and now he's got a new power and a new purpose that gives him a sense of worth. Which as a result causes him to rationalize what Kuvira's doing.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Large agreement.

this is a very small minded view of someone whose work outside of his films revolves almost entirely about the preservation and distribution of rare, restored films and films from other nations

e: even outside of that, scorsese's films are historically and culturally significant far beyond the myopic idea that he's being upheld by a group of likeminded toadies who all serve each other. you should give them a try

fun hater fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 3, 2021

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Sydin posted:

...But oh wait never mind lol after season three thousands of airbenders are just bullshitted into existence, so Aang's sacrifices were entirely pointless and he was a deadbeat dad to 2/3rds of his kids for nothing! :downs:
I was incredibly disappointed that only new airbenders popped up and it wasn't just a mass awakening of all of the elements in folk.

quote:

Eh, I actually kinda like the storybeat that Bolin fell in with Earthbending Hitler because he's spent the last couple seasons being the butt of the joke or second fiddle, and now he's got a new power and a new purpose that gives him a sense of worth. Which as a result causes him to rationalize what Kuvira's doing.
It was certainly a direction but the problem was that either Mako or Bolin got focus each season but never both, and I think having the bros getting indoctrinated together and then snapping each other out of it would've been neat instead of the nothing plotline Mako gets with the earth prince fucker.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Scorcese does cool poo poo for cinema but his whole "Marvel isn't Real Cinema" take (which to be fair he didn't give away for free) just put me instantly to sleep like anytime anyone adds Real to any form of artistic expression.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

what he said had more nuance than that and was deeply encrouched in it being his personal opinion lol. personally, i dont think hes wrong that marvel movies are more spectacle than substance.

anyway watch "king of comedy"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dmboogie posted:

This is really good, don't sleep on it. It gets bonus points for instrumental version of "Seven Swans" as background music.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sydin posted:

Aang sacrifices his relationship with two of his kids in order to put the proper attentions into Tenzin - the last remaining hope for carrying on the Air Nomads culture and bending, which is sad but also feels really grounded. It's understandable why Aang did what he did, and it ultimately bore fruit in Tenzin forming the Air Acolytes and carrying on airbending with his own family, but there were very real repercussions born from that decision and we get to see how it hosed up Bumi and Kya. It's a heavy storybeat that I think is actually handled with a lot of maturity.

He could've at least taken them to ride the elephant koi together... :(

The "suddenly airbenders!!" plot point was weird but I guess they had already missed the window of a more natural reintroduction like finding a hidden enclave or just some randos who always had it because air nomads traveled far and wide and probably had secret kids sometimes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

fun hater posted:

what he said had more nuance than that and was deeply encrouched in it being his personal opinion lol. personally, i dont think hes wrong that marvel movies are more spectacle than substance.

not only was he not wrong he was also, imo, too kind: carnival rides are usually fun at least one time through, if not several times after that

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The wandavision thing was more about how utterly pretentious the tweet was than anything else

https://twitter.com/madhat31/status/1365773588586987522?s=20

I know hyperbole is a thing on the internet and this person probably didn't mean it literally, but it kinda deserved to have the piss taken out of it imo. Having said that, it is a drat good line. Just not "reverent gently caress" good.

Re Korra chat, I read a comment that called it pure distilled liberalism, and at least as far as season one is concerned I'm inclined to agree. I remember everyone thought season one was leading to some pointed social commentary about class divides and how they would change the status quo, and then....the leader of the equalists got defeated and everything went back to "normal" with the normies being an underclass.

I vaguely recall that the big red thread between all the villians of the show was that they wanted to change the status quo for the better through force instead of "working with the system for incremental change", which didn't really age well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fun hater posted:

yeah, but unfortunately no one cared about any nuance because it immediately put people to sleep, as cold-rear end takes usually do

king of comedy is a good movie, i like scorsese when he's not talking about cool white criminals

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

McCloud posted:

I vaguely recall that the big red thread between all the villians of the show was that they wanted to change the status quo for the better through force instead of "working with the system for incremental change", which didn't really age well.
The third season is about anarchists who say literally nothing by correct summations of the world built so far. Part of their plan is to kill a (textually) abusive monarch and blow up a wall separating social classes. But then the boys are revealed to have no idea what anarchism is and have the baddies leave the oppressed people their own devices(to which they immediately start burning down their own houses) and screech about how "chaos is the natural order of things" like a loving toddler.

Of all of the ideologies Korra preports to explore, the idea that their idea of anarchist principles was ecofascist ancaps burns me very hard because it feels like they were trying to win a fight with one of them retroactively and did zero research on the actual subject.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Those Zapatistas been doing chaos reigns for years now! Every house they build they immediately set fire. Subcomandante Marcos sees to it personally.