Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

In a perfect world they work. But the problems come from our inability to use them properly.

A perfect world doesn't exist, so they don't work. Too many in security fail to understand/account for the fact our users are human beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

CLAM DOWN posted:

A perfect world doesn't exist, so they don't work. Too many in security fail to understand/account for the fact our users are human beings.

Thats why I said in a perfect world. Also why I said we suck at creating them and keeping them safe.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CyberPingu posted:

Thats why I said in a perfect world. Also why I said we suck at creating them and keeping them safe.

A perfect world doesn’t need security.

I think people are fine at creating them. This idiocy of constantly rotating them and password complexity nonsense just takes away from what really matters. A system that is only protected by a username and password isn’t secure and it never has been.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So your solutions to do... What exactly? How do I unlock my phone if we outlaw passwords, does everyone have to buy little yubikeys separately to use their phone?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

So your solutions to do... What exactly? How do I unlock my phone if we outlaw passwords, does everyone have to buy little yubikeys separately to use their phone?

See this is a great question when its not meant to be passive aggressive nonsense. So your modern phone has a "password" that is optional but helpful, but not the only line of defense. Its mostly a 4-6 keycode which most users have memorized and never rotate (because your users need to actually remember it without writing it down). Guess it wrong too many times and the phone is locked for extended times or even wiped in certain cases. Modern phones also have fingerprint and facial recognition on top of that so you can't even leak a password. My wife looks at her phone and it unlocks. These are all enhanced by the fact that you have to physically have the phone.

The web access to the cloud account attached to the phone, by default, keeps track of where you have logged in before so that if you are attempting to access it in an unknown location, you are challenged. Just having a password isn't enough.

So in this situation you have some very reasonable security while also having a user experience that doesn't suck. Its a great reason for why passwords, on their own, loving blow rear end. Every system beyond the password mean SO much more.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 28, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sickening posted:

See this is a great question when its not meant to be passive aggressive nonsense.

Sickening posted:

I wish this entire industry would shut the gently caress up about passwords.

Sure is.

Sickening posted:

So your modern phone has a "password" that is optional but helpful, but not the only line of defense. Its mostly a 4-6 keycode which most users have memorized and never rotate (because your users need to actually remember it without writing it down). Guess it wrong too many times and the phone is locked for extended times or even wiped in certain cases. Modern phones also have fingerprint and facial recognition on top of that so you can't even leak a password. My wife looks at her phone and it unlocks. These are all enhanced by the fact that you have to physically have the phone.

Aren't these objectively worse than a reasonably long pin or password?

Sickening posted:

The web access to the cloud account attached to the phone, by default, keeps track of where you have logged in before so that if you are attempting to access it in an unknown location, you are challenged. Just having a password isn't enough.

So in this situation you have some very reasonable security while also having a user experience that doesn't suck. Its a great reason for why passwords, on their own, loving blow rear end. Every system beyond the password mean SO much more.

Ok cool so your arguing with nobody, certainly 'the industry', who was saying "passwords by themselves are adequate security"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

No. :cripes: :cripes: :cripes: :cripes: :cripes:

Mr. Crow posted:

Ok cool so your arguing with nobody, certainly 'the industry', who was saying "passwords by themselves are adequate security"

I am saying trying to focus on "password complexity" is loving counter productive and more often than not a waste of time, as well as other things. Its like you either didn't read my entire post or are just ignoring parts of it. Stop that. And since you brought it up, I am arguing with you, the person who brought up the stupid phone and youbikey bullshit. :colbert:

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 28, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Is there a known real world case where this actually happened? Obviously it’s been demonstrated at CTF’s and such but it’s such a difficult thing to do that it seems unlikely that it’s a significant concern for most users and small companies, compared to a hacker finding and just going after the host directly or something.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a real world instance, but I'll see what I can dig up.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

You sure?

I haven't played attention to modern tech if phones have gotten better but a quick search shows even a couple years ago it's trivial to unlock a phone with face unlock with a picture, for example.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/01/08/facial-recognition-on-42-android-phones-beaten-by-photo-test/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/technology/fingerprint-security-smartphones-apple-google-samsung.html

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/131730/what-are-the-nist-fbi-requirements-for-fingerprint-readers-and-iris-scans

Sickening posted:

I am saying trying to focus on "password complexity" is loving counter productive and more often than not a waste of time, as well as other things. Its like you either didn't read my entire post or are just ignoring parts of it. Stop that. And since you brought it up, I am arguing with you, the person who brought up the stupid phone and youbikey bullshit. :colbert:

You're being awfully aggressive here, so sorry for offending you. I was reading your posts as if you were advocating getting rid of passwords entirely and I wasn't exactly sure how you could do that, the phone was the obvious first example of where my apparently imagine argument breaks down.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Those are very outdated and do not apply to the modern IR face unlock, as found in iPhones or the Pixel 4. You cannot unlock those with a picture.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
If I had my way, every single user would have to submit a blood test every single time they wanted to unlock their devices.

Treat every user as if they might potentially be The Thing, and you get strict access limiting to boot.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Mr. Crow posted:

You sure?

I haven't played attention to modern tech if phones have gotten better but a quick search shows even a couple years ago it's trivial to unlock a phone with face unlock with a picture, for example.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/01/08/facial-recognition-on-42-android-phones-beaten-by-photo-test/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/technology/fingerprint-security-smartphones-apple-google-samsung.html

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/131730/what-are-the-nist-fbi-requirements-for-fingerprint-readers-and-iris-scans

You're being awfully aggressive here, so sorry for offending you. I was reading your posts as if you were advocating getting rid of passwords entirely and I wasn't exactly sure how you could do that, the phone was the obvious first example of where my apparently imagine argument breaks down.

Honestly it seems like you're the one who's being pretty aggressive here. Passwordless authentication already exists in a variety of contexts, so the whole "how you gonna handle this, smart guy?" routine is very strange. I use it, in different guises, for everything from getting into EC2 instances for work to signing into my personal MS account.

The point of using a phone (or other hardware mechanism) is that it keeps the creds locked up in its own secure enclave, and can do mutual authentication with the remote system. So, having the user's passcode, or their biometric descriptors, doesn't matter by itself - that just lets the user unlock the secure enclave inside the phone, where the real secrets live. The bad guys have to actually get their phone if they want to impersonate the user. That might not be a challenge for the CIA or FSB, but it'll stop most organized crime phishing pretty well. And, once the bad guys have the user's phone, they're still not out of the woods; they need to either get into the HSM (not as tamper-resistant as a datacenter model but still, hope they're at that CIA/FSB level) or guess the user's passcode/fake out the biometrics before the lockout hits.

There are still plenty of potential weak points here, from attacks against the phone, to phishing the provisioning authority and sidestepping the whole chain. But, overall, it's probably a better system than the standard "oh, it's been 90 days, time to change my password from s00pers3cr3t7 to s00pers3cr3t8, which is good because it's just my netflix, etsy, online banking, and Amazon password with a number on the end" system, and if anything, it's lower-friction for users.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Those are very outdated and do not apply to the modern IR face unlock, as found in iPhones or the Pixel 4. You cannot unlock those with a picture.

:thanks:

Mr. Crow posted:

You sure?

You started it, made lovely points, and were completely wrong to boot. You are forgiven however as hopefully this conversation might help those still in quicksand on how basic modern security strategies work.

And yes, I am more than a tad aggressive on the subject because if the users weren't bad enough, I have to fight other "security professionals" who cling to security thinking from 1996. It feels like its every day. So many don't want to the things that actually work, they want to live in the past and check the boxes from decades gone by and pretend they did their job. It also frustrates our users needlessly and causes support tickets that don't need to exist.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 28, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I've been trying to get passwordless auth implemented for our customers at work for loving ages now and it always seems to hit some sort of dead end.

Also fwiw, password expiry is the loving worst faux security poo poo ever and gently caress knows why it's even included in CIS poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

I've been trying to get passwordless auth implemented for our customers at work for loving ages now and it always seems to hit some sort of dead end.

Also fwiw, password expiry is the loving worst faux security poo poo ever and gently caress knows why it's even included in CIS poo poo.

Microsoft will detect you are using password expiration in azure/o365 and will suggest you turn it off as a security suggestion. It counts against you in their secure score system.

Once azure ad makes the passwordless options better supported and easier to roll out, so much is going to change for the better.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sickening posted:

Microsoft will detect you are using password expiration in azure/o365 and will suggest you turn it off as a security suggestion. It counts against you in their secure score system.

Once azure ad makes the passwordless options better supported and easier to roll out, so much is going to change for the better.

Yeah it's the same with AWS' CIS benchmarking

I wrote a big gently caress off document about how we could implement passwordless auth in like 5 different ways and some marketing dickhead came in and was like "All these are going to impact engagement, this is dumb"

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Mr. Crow posted:

You sure?

"This paper investigates the possibility of generating a “MasterPrint,” a synthetic or real partial fingerprint that serendipitously matches one or more of the stored templates for a significant number of users. Our preliminary results on an optical fingerprint data set and a capacitive fingerprint data set indicate that it is indeed possible to locate or generate partial fingerprints that can be used to impersonate a large number of users."

otherwise known as "we speculated at the method Android and iOS calculates fingerprints, we never tested it against real devices, we think this will work"

(and it's from 4 years ago)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

I wrote a big gently caress off document about how we could implement passwordless auth in like 5 different ways and some marketing dickhead came in and was like "All these are going to impact engagement, this is dumb"

Well, they are correct! It will impact your engagements with all other orgs with old grog security teams who are also stuck in 1996. Being on those calls and listening to them berate someone for this stuff must be a real treat.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sickening posted:

Well, they are correct! It will impact your engagements with all other orgs with old grog security teams who are also stuck in 1996. Being on those calls and listening to them berate someone for this stuff must be a real treat.

I had to sit on a call the other day and listen to our head of sales pour over GDPR rules to see if there were any loopholes to spam our customers with emails.

I wanted to smash his face in

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

Actually yes, your pin is better in that you don't have to worry about spoofing, false acceptances, or the entire space of 'accidental' unlocks like you do with biometrics (not to the degree of your old articles, but claiming they're failsafe is not true either), but biometrics are a major convivence factor for driving adoption of secure lockscreens. Long pins and passwords have pretty bad usability tradeoffs that discourage their use, biometrics help offset that. On the downside people think they're magical and don't really understand them, but that's life.

But pins and biometrics don't belong is the age old discussion about website passwords -- passwords are for remote auth while pins require physical access (you can't try them remotely at all) and have hardware enforced backoffs that negate their comparably poor entropy space. Pins and biometrics are all about attackers with physical access, which passwords in the common web usage aren't, if you mainly care about is the brute forced or shared password'd from rando's on the internet using a trusted device that most your users have in their pocket to verify authorization works great. Of course you can't use that approach for everything, but if you can you should, your users phone is more secure than your server anyways.

At least we can all celebrate that NIST finally dropped the regular password rotation requirement.

CyberPingu posted:

Ah yes, because not requiring typing in passwords everywhere hurts engagement.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

CyberPingu posted:

It makes some theoretical sense for the same reason it's a good idea to rotate certs regularly: if somebody manages to get their hands on credentials, forcing the real user to rotate their credentials to something new locks out the attacker. And, if you're in a WWII/Cold War era scenario where a single authority is issuing your password to you (which is where a lot of early infosec "best practices" and received wisdom came from), then a lot of the issues with simple password reuse and "just tack a number on the end" never come up.

But then users got to choose their own passwords, every little system under the sun started asking for its own should-be-unique credentials, human psychology and laziness came into the picture, and the whole thing turned into the hosed up mess we all know and love.

CyberPingu posted:

I had to sit on a call the other day and listen to our head of sales pour over GDPR rules to see if there were any loopholes to spam our customers with emails.

I wanted to smash his face in

CAN-SPAM compliance is a bit outside the scope of this thread, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't had a couple of daydreams about the FTC deciding to enforce the law and throwing some fines at the people who think "opt out" means "temporarily remove from one specific marketing subchannel" and that their monthly announcements are "transactional."

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Oh...my...christ

Someone sent us a PoC to our responsible disclosure program, that he had uploaded to YouTube

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

Oh...my...christ

Someone sent us a PoC to our responsible disclosure program, that he had uploaded to YouTube

It's an unlisted video, right? :ohdear:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

It's an unlisted video, right? :ohdear:

It is not. I've already sent a request for it to be taken down.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

Oh...my...christ

lol this happens all the time, I just ask them to remove it and send them a box of goodies / gift cards after (if it was a valid finding). You'll make a friend who's on your side forever and ever.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Oh...my...christ

It's trivial to unlist or reupload it. As geonetix says, if you treat people right they'll reciprocate, and someone contacting your RD team to begin with is already primed to be cooperative.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

It's trivial to unlist or reupload it. As geonetix says, if you treat people right they'll reciprocate, and someone contacting your RD team to begin with is already primed to be cooperative.

Yeah I get that. It's just a bit annoying having to go through this.

If we can verify it he will be rewarded.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Weeeeeee

https://twitter.com/DecipherSec/status/1366860560139247621

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

90% sure related to this: https://blog.rapid7.com/2021/03/02/indiscriminate-exploitation-of-microsoft-exchange-servers-cve-2021-24085/

OWA -> Webshell -> Cred dump from the looks of it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yup, did an IR recently related to this too. That was fun, especially since they ran their Exchange Box with Domain Admin rights....

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Amazing. As if right now, if your own an on prem exchange and it’s still talking to the internet without a patch, you are a moron. We don’t have any, but the cord would have been unplugged until they are patched and investigated.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
ok so I’m definitely seeing a lot of 404s for attack details I was able to access an hour ago.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, did an IR recently related to this too. That was fun, especially since they ran their Exchange Box with Domain Admin rights....

:dukedoge: :fh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tryzzub posted:

ok so I’m definitely seeing a lot of 404s for attack details I was able to access an hour ago.

Yeah, not sure what is going on....why'd Rapid7 take it down?

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, not sure what is going on....why'd Rapid7 take it down?

They took it down because it was written before the advisories came out (from what I heard). I'd bet on a new version coming out tomorrow.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

trashy owl posted:

They took it down because it was written before the advisories came out (from what I heard). I'd bet on a new version coming out tomorrow.

It’s easy enough to find the cached copy. Cat’s already out of the bag etc etc but always fun to collate information between sources/ initial observations.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....n&ct=clnk&gl=us

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

As part of my role as infosec guy, I've been tasked with doing "employee education", and so every two months I've been putting out a short company newsletter that has broad stroke significant company affecting infosec event summaries, such as successful phishing attempts on employees, or foreign IP logins,etc as well as a "infosec tip of the day" kind of thing where it outlines a thing to be slightly safer, like enabling MFA or signing emails with PGP, stuff like that.

My question is: Am I just pissing in the wind with this, or is this kinda thing worth while?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

As part of my role as infosec guy, I've been tasked with doing "employee education", and so every two months I've been putting out a short company newsletter that has broad stroke significant company affecting infosec event summaries, such as successful phishing attempts on employees, or foreign IP logins,etc as well as a "infosec tip of the day" kind of thing where it outlines a thing to be slightly safer, like enabling MFA or signing emails with PGP, stuff like that.

My question is: Am I just pissing in the wind with this, or is this kinda thing worth while?

Totally pissing in the wind. Nobody is reading them.

It might serve as checking a box though, so there is that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Defenestrategy posted:

sorry, nobody is reading it, BUT you can turn that effort into a nice looking blog, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Defenestrategy posted:

Maybe somebody will read it, but yea it's mostly CYA so they can't feign total ignorance when an incident occurs.

I've found that more active participation based events yield better dividends than just tossing reading material out into the world.
Phishing campaigns will tell you how many people will fall for obvious attacks and the user then sees oh hey maybe I'm not so clever about spotting these.
Same with doing capture the flag events with developers instead of just watching boring videos about owasp top 10.