Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

I wrote an essay about inter-war grandprix and fascism as an undergrad, basically, it was even crazier than that. The drivers were "wing commanders" in the Nationalsozialistisches Kraftfahrkorps, and expected to act as soldiers for German soft power. Rudolf Caracciola famously drove Hitler around in his Mercedes. After the war, he tried to enter a merc in the indy 500, only to have it promptly seized for, you know, being nazi property. The sport was supposed to be the most real, the manliest, the pinnacle of the futurist ideal. Men racing around to death traps, dying to go faster, to see over the edge a fulfill humanity's great potential through technology and national supremacy; it obsessed the nazis more than even the Olympics.

The Americans loved the nazi racers so much, that when they came over to race the champ cars at Roosevelt speedway, the officials told the drivers to paint bigger swastikas on their cars, because apparently the Americans just loved that. Caraccoila's trophies are now at the IMS museum, he gave them all to the Hulman's as a gift for letting him recover at their place after he drove face-first into a bird and cracked his skull.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vasukhani posted:

I wrote an essay about inter-war grandprix and fascism as an undergrad, basically, it was even crazier than that. The drivers were "wing commanders" in the Nationalsozialistisches Kraftfahrkorps, and expected to act as soldiers for German soft power. Rudolf Caracciola famously drove Hitler around in his Mercedes. After the war, he tried to enter a merc in the indy 500, only to have it promptly seized for, you know, being nazi property. The sport was supposed to be the most real, the manliest, the pinnacle of the futurist ideal. Men racing around to death traps, dying to go faster, to see over the edge a fulfill humanity's great potential through technology and national supremacy; it obsessed the nazis more than even the Olympics.

The Americans loved the nazi racers so much, that when they came over to race the champ cars at Roosevelt speedway, the officials told the drivers to paint bigger swastikas on their cars, because apparently the Americans just loved that. Caraccoila's trophies are now at the IMS museum, he gave them all to the Hulman's as a gift for letting him recover at their place after he drove face-first into a bird and cracked his skull.

I like the little curb feelers on that last one, you may only ever drive that fucker on the track but by god you need to make sure those mags (were they magnesium?) don't get hosed up if you ever want to take it to dinner.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

New Mercedes livery looking highly questionable.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
toto wolff and hamilton should be put on trial for crimes against humanity

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zeta Acosta posted:

toto wolff and hamilton should be put on trial for crimes against humanity

given petronas' actions in Sudan the BLM support from mercedes is extremely :ironicat:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lewis helmet and then the rear wing go together like a joke - black lives matter/does not apply in sudan

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It is a literal criminal crime for which someone should be arrested that they did not make the halo red permanently after Niki died. Who should be arrested and prosecuted is up for debate.

F1 should have mandated red halos for every team in perpetuity imo.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Vasukhani posted:

This is really interesting to read about, do you mind sharing more?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

With Texas deciding COVID-19 is over the COTA race can have regular attendance numbers and real race weekend feel. :911:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This car had mechanical traction control by the way. The Germans had tremendous engineering back then. Just the best.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This car had mechanical traction control by the way. The Germans had tremendous engineering back then. Just the best.

hell they still do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGKcvM2Hh4g&t=1063s

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

It goes basically without saying, but all that "streamlining" made the car basically undrivable.

Auto Union's attempt at the streamliner went as expected:

before:

11 minutes later:

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
alfa romeo and by extension scuderia ferrari saved us from the evil nazis and their evil grip on grand prix racing. we all love the italos ITT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLVrqUChC7A

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 3, 2021

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Zeta Acosta posted:

alfa romeo and by extension scuderia ferrari saved us from the evil nazis and their evil grip on grand prix racing.
If by "saved us" you mean "collapsed into abject failure in sporting competition"

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

If by "saved us" you mean "collapsed into abject failure in sporting competition"

I didnt mean that

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zeta Acosta posted:

selling my rx590 brb

you picked that up in the nick of time, didn't you?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Rinkles posted:

you picked that up in the nick of time, didn't you?

i replaced an old r7260x for that. i dont care about cutting edge pc parts and im on a tight budget

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zeta Acosta posted:

i replaced an old r7260x for that. i dont care about cutting edge pc parts and im on a tight budget

i'm saying you'd have paid way more for the same card a few months later

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Rinkles posted:

i'm saying you'd have paid way more for the same card a few months later

no joke already is 50 bucks more expensive than when i bought it. hardware is insane right now

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
perez bad

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

LeeMajors posted:

I'm pretty excited to see the new Aston Martin because I have a throbbing boner for green cars.

:same:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

alfa romeo and by extension scuderia ferrari saved us from the evil nazis and their evil grip on grand prix racing. we all love the italos ITT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLVrqUChC7A

the first work of fasho-futurist was about crashing an italian race car lol

driving directly into the wall is ur culture

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 3, 2021

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
For those doing the historical crawl through the F1.tv archive, they just massively updated the site with a different layout and organization, as well as adding hour-long season restrospectives for the 1970-1980 seasons.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Vasukhani posted:

It goes basically without saying, but all that "streamlining" made the car basically undrivable.

Auto Union's attempt at the streamliner went as expected:

before:

11 minutes later:

Please don't doxx @GramCracker driving his Auto Union.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Zeta Acosta posted:

the ferrari of pc gaming

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

bgreman posted:

For those doing the historical crawl through the F1.tv archive, they just massively updated the site with a different layout and organization, as well as adding hour-long season restrospectives for the 1970-1980 seasons.

this is awesome

i just wish they'd caption poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aston Martin Cognizant

https://twitter.com/AstonMartinF1/status/1367126433852760067

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TW: Tom Brady is in this

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

I'd like to see Seb's new streamlined look without the hat on.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

another fail british team

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rebus posted:

I'd like to see Seb's new streamlined look without the hat on.

at least he doesn't have speed holes like michael schumacher

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
lol it looks loving identical to the mercedes but green, right down to the weird engine cover bulge

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

a pipe smoking dog posted:

lol it looks loving identical to the mercedes but green, right down to the weird engine cover bulge

another triumph of british engineering

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's a very ugly implementation of green. :belarus:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

a pipe smoking dog posted:

thank god this isn't a spec series, and the teams are free to spend millions copying last year's car

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Tsaedje posted:

It's a very ugly implementation of green. :belarus:

Yeah, I'll give it some slack until I see it in daylight but from what I can tell it's not dark enough, plus the pink highlight isn't great.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

bgreman posted:

About time. It was pretty annoying that there weren't dedicated pages for each season. It's still not perfect but moving in the right direction.

Just finished 1992. All this drama over the Williams seat was hilarious and so was Johnny Herbert going out the first lap of half the races.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

bgreman posted:

I'm still waiting for the Chromecast functionality, they're so behind on that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Add Apple TV support you nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bgreman posted:

Okay, dumb question. Is there an F1 TV app I can download to my smart TV? As it is I stream it through my phone app and then cast it to the TV.