Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Grim Up North posted:

The dude that was posted earlier released a longer walk-around the Ioniq 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R-dFpvqv50

Really hype on the styling and the specs sounds awesome on paper too, so I really think this might be my next car.

For some reason it looks a lot better to me in these stalker videos than any of the official media I've seen. Definitely going to be following this thing closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they're gonna open more stores and the vast majority of EVs are sold in the markets they're in

it sucks if you don't live there but like, the ev market in Kansas city is not real strong.

Seattle is a huge market for EVs, so I'm surprised it wasn't in their opening salvo. Regardless, they just announced the new locations they're opening this year.
https://apnews.com/press-release/pr...4edc32f76c61e1c

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What, no Des Moines?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bird with big dick posted:

What, no Des Moines?

If you can make it to Minneapolis, should be only 1 charging stop on the way back (~244 miles, car's range is listed as 233). Only a few choices for fast chargers on I35 though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Polestar is in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto in Canada, I wonder what the split on interest is.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

It's really nice. I'm surprised I have heard nothing about a Kia equivalent, are they going to lag behind a bit?

Oh I forgot to reply to this, what I've seen written on another forum is there is something codenamed the Kia CV that is to be announced this month?
https://insideevs.com/news/486851/kia-cv-500-km-range-3-seconds/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Charles posted:

Oh I forgot to reply to this, what I've seen written on another forum is there is something codenamed the Kia CV that is to be announced this month?
https://insideevs.com/news/486851/kia-cv-500-km-range-3-seconds/

Jesus 0-100 in 3 sec in a Kia :stare:

Shut up and take my money!! :haw:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why don’t they put that drivetrain in the Ioniq 5

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I thought the kia wasn't supposed to be officially revealed until the LA auto show? Though that was apparently moved after they said that

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I think it's supposed to be more of a halo car like the K900, but I dunno. I don't feel like watching the 55 minute YouTube Kia Investor Day video.

gwrtheyrn posted:

I thought the kia wasn't supposed to be officially revealed until the LA auto show? Though that was apparently moved after they said that

I guess it's somewhere in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y6VDIg_WrY

I'm not inclined to believe claims until I see some proof though, even from a big name like Kia :P

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Charles posted:

I guess it's somewhere in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y6VDIg_WrY

I'm not inclined to believe claims until I see some proof though, even from a big name like Kia :P

It's at 22:23 or so

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That ioniq 5 is a great looking car. Maybe not that wild about the interior but the outside is great.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zzpsn_D9HA

Doug DeMuro got his hands on an ID4. The infotainment screen is a mess. Slow, REAL slow, requires extra steps to do things like adjust climate control or turn on the heated seats. Hopefully this is something can fix.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Did Hyundai get anything like the Kia Stinger? Maybe they are going to market the Kia brand as more of a performance line, which of course doesn't really work when their big sellers are Soul and Sportage.

Edit: woah, Tellurides are also selling very well.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 3, 2021

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Phuzun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zzpsn_D9HA

Doug DeMuro got his hands on an ID4. The infotainment screen is a mess. Slow, REAL slow, requires extra steps to do things like adjust climate control or turn on the heated seats. Hopefully this is something can fix.

I watched that video. In it, he mentions that VW has the ID.4 positioned to compete against small gasoline crossovers like the RAV4 and CRV.

With the RWD having 201hp and 228 ft-lb of torque, I can’t imagine the front motor that adds 100hp is going to add much torque to speed it up a lot. Between that and the fiddly infotainment, my interest in the ID.4 is dwindling rapidly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Orvin posted:

With the RWD having 201hp and 228 ft-lb of torque, I can’t imagine the front motor that adds 100hp is going to add much torque to speed it up a lot.

Factory numbers say 0-62 will go from 8.5 to 5.8.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CannonFodder posted:

Did Hyundai get anything like the Kia Stinger? Maybe they are going to market the Kia brand as more of a performance line, which of course doesn't really work when their big sellers are Soul and Sportage.

I think Kia is supposed to be the more sporty, youthful division. Genesis G70 is the platform mate of the Stinger.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ola posted:

Factory numbers say 0-62 will go from 8.5 to 5.8.

5.8 is the same as a Ferrari Daytona lolol

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Orvin posted:

I watched that video. In it, he mentions that VW has the ID.4 positioned to compete against small gasoline crossovers like the RAV4 and CRV.

With the RWD having 201hp and 228 ft-lb of torque, I can’t imagine the front motor that adds 100hp is going to add much torque to speed it up a lot. Between that and the fiddly infotainment, my interest in the ID.4 is dwindling rapidly.

Yeah, he mentions targeting those vehicles but really, it is competing with base Mach-E if they are serious about getting an EV. Hopefully Bjorn gets one and does his tests on it. And hopefully the screen responsiveness can be fixed, good to have competition at those prices.

Bjorn got a quick test in the Audi E-Tron GT RS. Seems very much to be the Audi equivalent to the Taycan.
He mentions that Audi will be getting him another press car for testing later, he suspects it will be pretty close to the same since it has the the drivetrain minus 10kw of power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7hgZYOUL8M

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDDRu1nlbV4

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Orvin posted:

Yeah, I'm probably cancelling. Funny because I just got an email saying mine left the factory today

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Orvin posted:

The base ID.4 hits 60 in the mid 7s which is perfectly fine for a CUV and right in line with the gasoline RAV4 and CRV. From basically the very beginning they’ve been pretty clear that performance is not a priority.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The base ID.4 hits 60 in the mid 7s which is perfectly fine for a CUV and right in line with the gasoline RAV4 and CRV. From basically the very beginning they’ve been pretty clear that performance is not a priority.

I just don’t think it sunk in that the torque numbers were going to be so low to middling. I was expecting numbers like that out of the Bolt, a smaller vehicle. And I was kinda unimpressed when the salesman sitting next to me was trying to play up how quick the bolt was. I can only imagine how slow the RWD ID.4 is going to feel, being bigger and quite a bit heavier.

Sure the AWD ID.4 will be faster, but I guess I was hoping for faster than it is going to end up being. Kinda makes sense for the price point though.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

borkencode posted:

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1366806767146008580?s=20

Looks like Tesla is going to be replacing a bunch of sensors for the 3/Y.

Good, they deserve it 100x over

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

But then unless the only reason was wanting an electric, why would anyone get ID4 vs those?
I just can't get excited about 'perfectly fine' numbers.
The last few days have been exciting for new EV news, and the ID4 just doesn't excite. And the slow infotainment is embarrassing for such a new vehicle.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

DoomTrainPhD posted:

That's not a supposedly :)

Can you share how many preorders Rivian has? I need a pickup truck in the near future and don't want to go back to an ice car but it looks inevitable.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Franco Caution posted:

But then unless the only reason was wanting an electric, why would anyone get ID4 vs those?

You live in California, which means that you get to stack federal and state tax credits for a very cheap lease, and it comes with an HOV lane pass.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Shamino posted:

Can you share how many preorders Rivian has? I need a pickup truck in the near future and don't want to go back to an ice car but it looks inevitable.

If we're making requests, can you tell the people who design illumination that I'm a freak and can see the LEDs turning on and off and stuff like the RAV4 headlights are a nightmare for me. Haha.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

If we're making requests, can you tell the people who design illumination that I'm a freak and can see the LEDs turning on and off and stuff like the RAV4 headlights are a nightmare for me. Haha.

Sorry, PWM frequency and other associated power things are dictated by the OEM so you'll have to yell at them first

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Franco Caution posted:

Because they want an EV version of those cars and with the federal tax credit it’s going to be the cheapest way to get that. The people who are already buying CRVs and RAV4s don’t care about straight line performance, so why should they care when looking at EVs? Is that really the only reason you can think of that someone might prefer and EV over an ICE equivalent?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Because they want an EV version of those cars and with the federal tax credit it’s going to be the cheapest way to get that. The people who are already buying CRVs and RAV4s don’t care about straight line performance, so why should they care when looking at EVs? Is that really the only reason you can think of that someone might prefer and EV over an ICE equivalent?

Yes, there are a lot of people out there who want to cut down on their fossil fuel usage. The ID3&4 seem to be designed for mainstream appeal and it seems good for that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jymmybob posted:

Sorry, PWM frequency and other associated power things are dictated by the OEM so you'll have to yell at them first

It should be a nhtsa rule

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Charles posted:

Yes, there are a lot of people out there who want to cut down on their fossil fuel usage. The ID3&4 seem to be designed for mainstream appeal and it seems good for that.

We have an iD.4 on pre-order to replace my fiancé’s CX-5. She doesn’t care about performance at all, she just wants it to be comfortable, big enough, not terribly expensive, and have a reasonable level of amenities. She wants an EV for environmental reasons and also for the convenience of home charging and lower fuel and maintenance costs. Basically to be a normal rear end car, but easier to live with. The ID.4 is the first thing coming out that ticks all of those boxes and I’m sure there are plenty of other people out there in the same boat.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I bought my Leaf soley on the consideration of its lightning fast acceleration.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
I just kind of assumed everyone here raced for pink slips on the reg.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Maybe I wish they had just done different versions of the ID4 so they could steal some sales away from each demographic.

They already committed to making the perfectly fine version YOLOsubmarine mentioned, so mark that one as done.

Next make the dual engine AWD one that covers those who want a bit more. Done.

And then finally make a R Design one that goes quick for those people who do want EVs but also don't want it to just be perfectly fine.

Then you have a version to compete with all the Model Y flavors. And then when someone says they like it, but wish it did X better, Boom! Done! It's either out, or will be soon.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Franco Caution posted:

The last few days have been exciting for new EV news, and the ID4 just doesn't excite. And the slow infotainment is embarrassing for such a new vehicle.

Speaking for myself having an ID4 on order right now... we've had a PHEV (Passat GTE) for a couple of years and have managed to mostly run that one on electric. It's nice and quiet, you don't need to go to gas stations, and if you have charging options at home you always start the day off with a "full tank". The environmental aspect of it is nice too. And honestly, I think the second hand market for fossil fuel vehicles here in Sweden will crater within a not too distant future so I would not want to sink money into a new one today.

The ID4 simply appears to do everything I need "well enough". It's not Tesla quick but no slouch. It holds a ton of poo poo. All the kids fit in it nicely. I can haul my small trailer and throw my kayak on top as well. Range is enough that I will have to charge elsewhere maybe twice a year.

So unless the reason was cost alone, why would I NOT get this car vs the fossil fuel equivalents?

As for the infotainment, he likely drove a car with the 2.0 or older software. It's pretty bad. _Allegedly_ the 2.1 release coming out in the next few weeks will be a vast improvement (it's getting installed in ID3s here starting next week and all the ID4s will have it before the customers get the cars). I think VW better deliver the goods on this one or we'll see some order cancellations. Not sure if VW failed to mention the software version and planned update or if Doug neglected to mention it; several other reviewers have specifically stated that they were on 2.0 still and the next release should make a big difference.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elviscat posted:

I bought my Leaf soley on the consideration of its lightning fast acceleration.

There used to be forums for Prius drivers to brag about their 0-5 acceleration

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My Leaf is the quicker of my two full size vehicles to 60 MPH.

My motorcycle is, uh, a little quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Franco Caution posted:

Maybe I wish they had just done different versions of the ID4 so they could steal some sales away from each demographic.

They already committed to making the perfectly fine version YOLOsubmarine mentioned, so mark that one as done.

Next make the dual engine AWD one that covers those who want a bit more. Done.

And then finally make a R Design one that goes quick for those people who do want EVs but also don't want it to just be perfectly fine.

Then you have a version to compete with all the Model Y flavors. And then when someone says they like it, but wish it did X better, Boom! Done! It's either out, or will be soon.

It's coming, but supply on lithium batteries is still constrained as I understand it. Otherwise automakers have vowed to make dozens of models by 2025, 2030, etc. My EV with glass and visibility like a RWD Volvo wagon / first gen Forester will hopefully come soon.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I did drive the Subaru the other day to wash the salt off it and realized I got used to the instant torque from an EV.