Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I'm trying this game out, does it matter what I class the characters into or are there characters who are specifically suited for certain Jobs and such

Characters have stat differences but they're really minor and mostly just for flavor. Go ahead and make anyone whatever job you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Harrow posted:

Characters have stat differences but they're really minor and mostly just for flavor. Go ahead and make anyone whatever job you want.

Neat! I tried Bravely Default a few years back but I couldn't get the hang of it. Seems like the brave and default systems are pretty understandable, and the job system looks like it'll scratch my lizard tendencies in making numbers go up like Fire Emblem does

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ethiser posted:

How did the Shieldmaster deal with that 2K attack? I couldn’t get around that group wide attack so I just used had to knock out a third of his HP in the span of one characters turn so he never technically changed phases.

I popped a bunch of specials and bursted him as he was getting to his last 3rd or so of HP. I think my Shieldmaster was able to tank it without too much trouble with all the special buffs going.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh my god, I just arrived in Chapter 3 and this is literally just Ishgard from FF14, but replace dragons with fairies, isn't it?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Corralling enemies into corners to link them (since the link distance is so small) is honestly really stupid. I hate it! It's even worse when you're trying to do it with lure food because they stop caring so fast and if you go back to re-get them the others are already walking away and bleh.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Well as of very early In chapter 3 magical, sustainable dps is extremely attainable

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm just about a hour and a half into the game (cleared first boss) and I'm in love. I never got the chance to try out Bravely Default 1 or B2nd but this tickles my jRPG cockles in ways that haven't been tickled since Octopath Traveler and... before that... poo poo, not in years.

I get the very distinct impression that BD2 is pretty much a FF5 spiritual sequel. The main four characters correspond pretty easily to the FF5 characters, you have the outfits per job, the Crystals motif, even the Wind/Wind connection and the Magisa/Forza successor.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Just got the Bard class and I got extremely annoyed by the sidequests going in and out of the dungeon but I guess it was worth it because it got my new Bard up to level 5 immediately. These Buns/Orbs are insane.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
"Dealer's Choice", eh?

*brushes dust off of book*

Wh-- This is CLEARLY Bewildering Grace!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Corralling enemies into corners to link them (since the link distance is so small) is honestly really stupid. I hate it! It's even worse when you're trying to do it with lure food because they stop caring so fast and if you go back to re-get them the others are already walking away and bleh.

I haven't noticed any real difference between multiple enemies with food and single enemies with food. I've definitely linked 2 enemies together with food and only gotten 2 fights, so it doesn't really seem to be worth the effort to do more than pop food and fight your chosen enemy.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So I'm partway through Chapter 5 and there are so many cool things that I could unlock and use, and so many neat things that seem like they would be amazing.

And yet, everything kind of just dies to godspeed strike spam, so that's what I've been doing. The story bosses say their first spiel after the initial hits, then the damage over time hits and they go down immediately. It's amusing, but I want to start changing it up more.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Change it to hard?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm just about a hour and a half into the game (cleared first boss) and I'm in love. I never got the chance to try out Bravely Default 1 or B2nd but this tickles my jRPG cockles in ways that haven't been tickled since Octopath Traveler and... before that... poo poo, not in years.

I get the very distinct impression that BD2 is pretty much a FF5 spiritual sequel. The main four characters correspond pretty easily to the FF5 characters, you have the outfits per job, the Crystals motif, even the Wind/Wind connection and the Magisa/Forza successor.

Yeah the Bravely series as a whole is just "what if we made a whole series based on FF5?" and it's exactly as good as that sounds.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah the Bravely series as a whole is just "what if we made a whole series based on FF5?" and it's exactly as good as that sounds.

I just got done cover scamming a boss and it felt like purestrain FF5.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It genuinely might as well not even be a mechanic.

I'm just not bothering and I think it's the best way to approach things.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man the party is really enabling Elvis' rampant alcoholism. I assume he's steaming at all times given that booze is all he talks or thinks about but he's high functioning enough that it not noticeable.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Would you want to travel with an alcoholic struggling to stay sober?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was really skeptical after the demos but I've just been binging this non-stop the last few days and I gotta say the game is just blowing me away

it's seriously good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
right after posting that i got to a certain twist in the story and holy gently caress

game so good

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Today I learned: not only can Shieldmaster cover allies for physical attacks... they can loving intercept magic.

Love to watch enemies throw full-team spells and Gloria just eats all four hits herself.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I bounced off Bravely Second (and the first to an extent) but I'm digging BDII despite the fact it feels kind of unfinished in some ways. It's Job System: The RPG and I love how well baked that is (if you love completely unbalanced combos favoring the player). It's weird though. Dungeons are kind of huge, meandering and empty and you don't have maps this time around? There are a billion useless sidequests that have numbers assigned to them, but no quest list to track them in. Stuff like that.

Still, the game is suuuuuper fun despite some of the jank.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why do you dislike BD1 and BS? Playing those right now so I would like some thoughts.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

Why do you dislike BD1 and BS? Playing those right now so I would like some thoughts.

I honestly can't put my finger on why. I think it may be that once you really mine the job system for all the fun it contains the rest is just OK. Nothing is bad about those games but they aren't really anywhere near my top list.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Weird, left thief's dungeon, came back and suddenly everything is doing 100-200 damage and there isn't as serious of a damage hike. Cleared the two bosses and got the optional one in town and I have no idea how much I'm going to care to play this card game but it seems cute enough.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

glassyalabolas posted:

Is the boat mechanic determined by the amount of friends in your switch?

I'd like to know this too. It seems super random and IDK if these people I'm meeting are friends or other random players.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Man I'd been griping to my friends about framerate drops, it turns out the game runs much more stable in handheld mode than docked mode. Does anyone know if there's a "performance" option to run at a lower resolution even when docked? I don't mind playing at a lower resolution but I can't stand fps drops, they really take me out of the experience when the game skips several frames in the middle of a sweet animation.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Today I learned: not only can Shieldmaster cover allies for physical attacks... they can loving intercept magic.

Love to watch enemies throw full-team spells and Gloria just eats all four hits herself.
:hmmyes: the correct choice

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I initially accepted the game's suggestion to make Gloria my healer but then I realized how rad she looks in fightin' jobs so now Elvis is my Bard/White Mage.

Seth actually looks pretty sick as a white mage himself but I already mastered Vanguard on him and I don't feel like grinding jobs just to switch things over so :v:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 3, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A princess leads from the front!

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I'm using Gloria as my melee DPS. She's a Monk right now. She leads from the front!

Adelle is healing, but only because Elvis' White Mage outfit isn't great and hers is. I'll let her murder things properly when outfits allow.

Seth takes hits.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Your Computer posted:

:hmmyes: the correct choice

She leads from the front. With dual shields. :black101:

e: :iia:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 3, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Through Chapter 2 now.

BD2 feels like a game that threw away all the lessons that the BD team had figured out before the original released in a lot of areas. (Which I suppose it logical, it's a new team on these games)

Dungeons are horribly paced. Numerous dungeons last upwards of an hour and a half running across multiple vast floors with dead ends and no minimap. This is contrasted to BD1 where almost without fail every dungeon is half an hour long with a save point at the end. I think the intent here is that you visit each dungeon multiple times with the teleport system but the problem is that on an extended play session, you're fighting the same mob packs for over an hour and it gets really dull.

Sidequests are highlighted awfully. I've managed to miss no less than three fully voiced and relevant side quests, one involving a job because I didn't happen to look inside the correct building. BD and BS figured this out, gigantic exclamation points on sidequests and no irrelevant fetch quest style sidequests.

World encounters aren't a random system any more but they feel worse somehow? You could slider things down to 0 before if you wanted to, but now even if you're very done with a set of enemies in a dungeon you have to fight absolutely everything.

Bosses are challenging but counters feel random and unfair. Examining an opponent should reveal the counters that they have available to them. It definitely isn't acceptable to die to an encounter because you dared to use physical attacks after a phase transition. This wasn't a problem with the original default because it didn't have counters but managed to give bosses action economy on the player for the top half of the game through either minions or clever BP raising shenanigans. Crucially the strategies bosses used in the original were all available to the player.

With all of that being said, this is still a bravely game and so I'm playing the hell out of it, but it does feel like a downgrade on the prior two from a gameplay/game design perspective.

Can't really comment on the plot.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
So this is the level of cheese I have figured out: Ranger main with Freelancer/Monk/Thief/Berserker as sub, Sub-Job BP Saver passive ability, and two Earth Talisman (just because). This is great to just clear trash fights and not for bosses.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Man I'd been griping to my friends about framerate drops, it turns out the game runs much more stable in handheld mode than docked mode. Does anyone know if there's a "performance" option to run at a lower resolution even when docked? I don't mind playing at a lower resolution but I can't stand fps drops, they really take me out of the experience when the game skips several frames in the middle of a sweet animation.

makes sense i only really play switch in handheld and have only had a couple stutters

iirc handheld is 720p which is more the switch's speed as long as it only has to be 30fps

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Natural 20 posted:

Dungeons are horribly paced. Numerous dungeons last upwards of an hour and a half running across multiple vast floors with dead ends and no minimap.

I really wish the loving dungeons had minimaps, the desert ruins felt like an awful maze at first lmao

I'm loving this game but yeah boy does it have issues

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

My go to killers for random battles and bosses have been Vanguards with Berserker as the sub job. The second Vanguard skill that increases physical attack based off of the likelihood of being targeted shoots their damage sky high. Leveling Slash destroys encounters and I frequently am hitting for 9999 using Leveling Slash or Neo Cross Slash against bosses. Two characters Braving up to 3 and then attacking 8 times over two turns shreds through HP.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I understand if it's just me but I'm kind of glad there isn't a map to pull up during a dungeon because I definitely used to just watch the map screen instead of the game screen as I ran around dungeons. now I have to actually engage with the dungeon

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Color Printer posted:

I really wish the loving dungeons had minimaps, the desert ruins felt like an awful maze at first lmao

I'm loving this game but yeah boy does it have issues

Speaking of the ruins, that lunch sidequest may be the most tedious bullshit I've seen in the game so far, but the reward was too good to skip it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ethiser posted:

My go to killers for random battles and bosses have been Vanguards with Berserker as the sub job. The second Vanguard skill that increases physical attack based off of the likelihood of being targeted shoots their damage sky high. Leveling Slash destroys encounters and I frequently am hitting for 9999 using Leveling Slash or Neo Cross Slash against bosses. Two characters Braving up to 3 and then attacking 8 times over two turns shreds through HP.

Now use the Free-For-All passive. :getin:

My current team loadout, having finished the first three Major Asterisk Bosses of Chapter 4:

Main Character: Pictomancer/Bard. This is so much support power it is actually disgusting. Landing Daub means whoever has it is going to die at the hands of Adelle doing 9999 x a lot.
Elvis: Spiritmancer/White Mage. Solely responsible for keeping Gloria the Immovable Object intact. Casts Reraise on her, laughs hilariously.
Gloria: Shieldmaster/Vanguard. Two shields, no problems. Cover scams the entire loving world, cannot be killed in any way that actually matters. Has instant death/doom protection, has astronomical defenses, has Reraise from Elvis if somehow the bulwark breaks. Shieldmaster 12 passive means every time she covers for someone she gets 1 BP. Absolutely the motor for the entire team.
Adelle: Swordmaster/Berserker. Swordmaster 12's passive says "you get both of your subjob's passives if you dual wield the same weapon type". This is disgusting. Free-for-All and Berserker 12's passive lets you Berserk -> quadruple Amped Strike, Berserk -> quadruple Fourfold Flurry, Berserk + triple Level Slash to clear random encounters...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
There's a snowy mountain dungeon and man the snowstorm that periodically pops up and slows down your movement and makes it hard to see just sucks. I've always got Dungeon Master on so I don't know if it's supposed to cause damage or a status ailment, it's just being inconvenient for me.

Ethiser posted:

I'll set up Seth and Adelle with that and try it on the next boss fight. Gloria is my White Mage/Bard and Elvis is my Red Mage/Black Mage. I've just got into chapter 3 territory.