Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Alaois posted:

THAT'S OPEN HAND, THAT'S A SLAP, BOY

Having listened to the John Stossel episode of Citations Needed, this video is what I needed in my life.

gently caress John Stossel.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Congrats on the weights ehud!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Man, my phone is like 4 years old at this point, but in pristine condition and they are offering me $400 bucks towards a trade in for a Galaxy S21. My biggest hangup is the lack of a headphone port, especially since I just got really good wired ear buds as a Christmas gift. I hate the concept of wireless earbuds, they are just begging to be lost and fall put of my ears at the worst time. Why did they have to get rid of a stupid simple jack?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Alaois posted:

a pro wrestler has never hurt a media personality that didn't deserve it other than that time Hulk Hogan cracked Richard Belzer's skull open because he's a piece of poo poo
i wish a pro wrestler would go ham on hannity or tucker carlson

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

swickles posted:

Man, my phone is like 4 years old at this point, but in pristine condition and they are offering me $400 bucks towards a trade in for a Galaxy S21. My biggest hangup is the lack of a headphone port, especially since I just got really good wired ear buds as a Christmas gift. I hate the concept of wireless earbuds, they are just begging to be lost and fall put of my ears at the worst time. Why did they have to get rid of a stupid simple jack?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

swickles posted:

I’ve had like 4 different brands of wireless ear buds and hated every goddamn one, they’ll take my cords from my tangled, outdated hands

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was gonna say I love my wireless earbuds and figure out the brand so I could recommend them, but I realized I don't know where they are at the moment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was skeptical of wireless/Bluetooth headphones but someone recommended the Jaybird X4s and these things are great. The two earpieces are still connected by a wire so you don't have to completely give that part up either :v:

Alternatively yeah just buy an adapter and hope you never have to charge your phone while listening to something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Soundpeats Q30 are a pretty good value Bluetooth earbuds for like 20-25 bucks, and left and right are still connected, so they’re fairly easy to keep up with.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I watched All Good Things.

I gotta admit. The poker scene at the end got to me a little.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
"but how will we stop violent criminals without police" part whatever loving number

https://twitter.com/equalityAlec/status/1366807442751913986?s=20

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

a neat cape posted:

I watched All Good Things.

I gotta admit. The poker scene at the end got to me a little.

What's next? Deep Space Nine???

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

General Dog posted:

The Soundpeats Q30 are a pretty good value Bluetooth earbuds for like 20-25 bucks, and left and right are still connected, so they’re fairly easy to keep up with.

I have these too, they survive living in my gym bag through a warm summer and the charge lasts all week p easily through my 1.5 hr workout 5 days a week.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spoeank posted:

1 - 20 of 5596 Works in Star Trek: The Next Generation

Kalli fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 3, 2021

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I'll probably watch the TNG movies and then jump into DS9.

But goddamn TNG ending off on *that* line was absolutely perfect

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

a neat cape posted:

I'll probably watch the TNG movies and then jump into DS9.

But goddamn TNG ending off on *that* line was absolutely perfect

If you haven't seen them I'd recommend Generations, then the first 5 seasons of DS9 then First Contact

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm out of stuff to read.

Someone rec me a series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fun fact: the term "slash fiction" specifically was invented for Kirk/Spock erotic fan fiction.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BlindSite posted:

Someone rec me a series.

What do you want to read?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BlindSite posted:

Someone rec me a series.

Uplifting or depressing?

Andrew Vacchs' Burke series for the latter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Someone rec me a series.

Ross Thomas books, they're all short thrillers, there's a couple of recurring characters in some of them, but you don't need to read those in order. Some quick recs for individual titles Briar Patch, Chinamen's Chance (yeah I know, but the book isn't as racist as the name suggests), The Fourth Durango.

Otherwise The Parker books by Richard Stark (pen name of Donald E. Westlake for this particular series) start with the first, "The Hunter," unless you've seen Payback or Pointblank and don't particularly want to read the book those movies were based on, in which case skip straight to the second "The Man with the Getaway Face," If you've seen either of those movies you'll understand the backstory plenty.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Ross Thomas books, they're all short thrillers, there's a couple of recurring characters in some of them, but you don't need to read those in order. Some quick recs for individual titles Briar Patch, Chinamen's Chance (yeah I know, but the book isn't as racist as the name suggests), The Fourth Durango.

Otherwise The Parker books by Richard Stark (pen name of Donald E. Westlake for this particular series) start with the first, "The Hunter," unless you've seen Payback or Pointblank and don't particularly want to read the book those movies were based on, in which case skip straight to the second "The Man with the Getaway Face," If you've seen either of those movies you'll understand the backstory plenty.

Its been a few years since I've seen either so I dont mind going back over it. I'll check the kindle store. Cheers.

Edit: a few years ago I read the eighth dwarf and the backup men. I dunno why I stopped going through his collection. Good reminder.

GD_American posted:

Uplifting or depressing?

Andrew Vacchs' Burke series for the latter.

I don't mind a good old downer. I'll look into them.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 3, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Someone rec me a series.

Another, slightly more out there idea

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Another, slightly more out there idea

Hahaha that would depress me than cormac McCarthy's writing.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

If you haven't seen them I'd recommend Generations, then the first 5 seasons of DS9 then First Contact

Watching Generations now

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's loving hilarious they didn't trust the TNG cast to carry a film and felt they needed to rope Shatner in.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BlindSite posted:

Someone rec me a series.

Gideon The Ninth

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Spoeank posted:

Do this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I like Deep Space 9, but you absolutely do not need to watch five seasons of it before you watch First Contact if what you want to watch is more content involving most of the main cast of TNG, just watch First Contact.

It's loving shocking how little faith Paramount had in star trek films, every little tidbit of behind the scenes information is "oh, how can we gently caress this film." If you don't want to make a movie just don't make the movie. Don't loving greenlight a movie and then the moment they start filming tell them "actually you can only have half the money we told you you could have.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Watching those Deep Space 9 seasons makes the appearance of a certain ship at the battle of sector 001 way better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

Watching those Deep Space 9 seasons makes the appearance of a certain ship at the battle of sector 001 way better.

Telling someone they need to watch 100 hours of television starring people they don't give a poo poo about so they can fully appreciate a brief cameo in a movie starring the people they actually give a poo poo about is really, really loving dumb.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skwirl posted:

Telling someone they need to watch 100 hours of television starring people they don't give a poo poo about so they can fully appreciate a brief cameo in a movie starring the people they actually give a poo poo about is really, really loving dumb.

Agreed, but in this specific instance with SA2K about to miss Trek after watching the entire series I think it works though. At least as a person who thinks DS9 is worth watching.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Skwirl posted:

DS9 has two of those characters Ross in theory gives a poo poo about. :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

It's loving shocking how little faith Paramount had in star trek films

I mean, why would they? It's not like Trek, in movie form, was ever a huge moneymaker for Paramount prior to 2009 (with two exceptions in the form of Voyage Home and First Contact). The series was a semi-reliable way for Paramount to spend a modest amount of money ($13 million on Wrath of Khan up to $30 million on Undiscovered Country) and generate a modest return every couple of years, and that's about it.

Skwirl posted:

If you don't want to make a movie just don't make the movie. Don't loving greenlight a movie and then the moment they start filming tell them "actually you can only have half the money we told you you could have.

This ... never happened? The closest example I can think of is Nick Meyer being told that he had $30 million to make a 25th anniversary film in time for Christmas 1991 so go do it, and then, down the road and well into pre-production, after yet another Paramount regime change, he was told offhand that his budget was $25 million (the same as The Final Frontier's final price tag after re-shoots). Ultimately pre-production wound up being shut down for a couple of weeks, but Meyer scraped together the extra $5 million with the help of Stanley Jaffe, a producer who had his own small shell on the Paramount lot, and just like that, Undiscovered Country was back on.

That's the only real example of budget fuckery I can think of in the entire movie series. Yes, they were very tightly budgeted movies, partially a side effect of II / III / IV being produced by the television division, but if anything, the movies ran into cost overruns, not budget cuts.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

BlindSite posted:

Someone rec me a series.

The Callahan series by Spider Robinson, starting with “Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon.” It’s a bunch of sci-if short stories about the regulars at Callahan’s bar, a Long Island joint that sees aliens, time travelers, and horrible puns.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ve had first-gen Apple AirPods for at least two years and they’ve held up well to daily use. But I also have all Apple stuff, so if that’s not you then it won’t be as tightly connected. I’ve used them on runs without issue too.

Also there’s rumor that the Japan Olympic Committee is looking at restricting crowd sizes at events and not allowing visitors from overseas, which is the only real way this thing will get done this year. Note that Japanese pro soccer and baseball has had crowds (of various percentage of full) since last July, and they tend to follow rules like “no yelling” pretty well.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

harperdc posted:

Also there’s rumor that the Japan Olympic Committee is looking at restricting crowd sizes at events and not allowing visitors from overseas, which is the only real way this thing will get done this year. Note that Japanese pro soccer and baseball has had crowds (of various percentage of full) since last July, and they tend to follow rules like “no yelling” pretty well.

I mean, I would have assumed that would be a given out the gate

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

harperdc posted:

I’ve had first-gen Apple AirPods for at least two years and they’ve held up well to daily use. But I also have all Apple stuff, so if that’s not you then it won’t be as tightly connected. I’ve used them on runs without issue too.

Same. They're freaking amazing.

Only complaint was they randomly would mute themselves when I was mid clean, and ONLY HEAVY CLEANS I NEED THIS DEATH FROM ABOVE NOW MORE THAN EVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

GD_American posted:

I have some lightly distressed lobsters due for delivery tomorrow I'd be happy to reroute

What does a mail lobster go for a pound these days?

BlindSite posted:

Someone rec me a series.

I just finished "A Very Stable Genius" its funny and a fast read.

I'm working on "The Gulag Archipelago" its not funny and a slow read.