Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I don't really understand how these topics have been details? They're discussions of media criticism, which I would think is broadly relevant to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Dias posted:

I like how me jokingly describing mobsters as cool white criminals got us here. Like, not even kidding, that's not the worst derail to have.

It's hard to tell it's a joke when that's the predominant discourse whenever Scorsese makes a critique :(

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I think they count as derails because it's the same people making the same points on the same topics at least once a week

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

grittyreboot posted:

I think they count as derails because it's the same people making the same points on the same topics at least once a week

I wasn't aware attack on titan and mobsters came up this many times a month.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Stars-War

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Max Wilco posted:

Not certain, but I'm guessing was visiting Zion National Park, because I believe he's said he's visited it before, and that was what inspired Honest Hearts.

He also probably thought the same thing most people think nowadays when they see that line used as a motivational phrase.

I don't know what on Earth people got from the Honest Hearts DLC because the instant I found out what was going on, I wanted to kill both of the two... Of whatever their names were and deal with that tribe hired by the Legion myself, because both of them were theocratic shitheads.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 3, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

grittyreboot posted:

I think that there are some conversations that truly do come up too often but I also think that this thread occasionally tries to veer too hard away from any sort of conflict by calling extended discussions where not everyone agrees “derails” which seems kind of weird because this is a thread about new media and criticism, which sort of breeds (the good kind of) conflict in its nature

Conflict is cool and good in this case. I liked that discussion about Attack on Titan because I don’t watch the show and my vague knowledge about it consisted entirely of “getting very popular in the US” and “maybe fashy?” and it’s good to hear from people who both like and didn’t like it because it gave me a better understanding of it, even if I haven’t watched it. Ditto the conversation about depiction of violent lifestyles. It’s a conversation as old as art itself but just because it’s old doesn’t mean it’s not worth discussing in here because not everyone has the same experience with it. Someone who grew up watching them with someone who took the “cool” parts of Goodfellas uncritically will have a different opinion than someone who never saw a Scorsese until they were older and were able to immediately peg what he was doing, and that’s great.

We shouldn’t be afraid of conflict as long as it’s productive and no one is being an rear end in a top hat. It’s kinda hard to grok tone on the internet but as long as no one is actively attacking someone personally I think we shouldn’t try to stifle it. If you really have nothing to say or don’t want to get involved, just post another video. The nice thing about this very dead format of communication is that it’s way easier to have multiple long-form conversations without it getting too confusing.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

DC Murderverse posted:

I think that there are some conversations that truly do come up too often

Thats Snyderchat and Star Wars chat imo

DC Murderverse posted:

We shouldn’t be afraid of conflict as long as it’s productive and no one is being an rear end in a top hat.

I agree! The thing is people did start losing their cool and throwing insults at the end of the AoT discussion. I mean I get this is Something Awful (a website founded on mockery) and sometimes someone does say something genuinely stupid which warrants being clowned on but most of the time its some innocuous poo poo and some people doing epic burns Ben Shapiro style on their posting enemies and it just tanks the chances to have any sort of good faith conversation imo.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

"Yes. Everyone, even and especially corny white people, loves 'Return of the Mack'"

I...I'm corny white people?

:negative:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Samovar posted:

I don't know what on Earth people got from the Honest Hearts DLC

Cool mummy man with cool guns and SLCPD gear and nice clothes combined with cool nature area.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Todd is like 95% right about British hip-hop but there is one Brit who truly had a hand in the evolution of rap as a storytelling medium

https://youtu.be/OPyl1DHeQGQ

https://youtu.be/HjNTu8jdukA

Also without Children’s Story, one of those other songs he cited as the best R&B jam of the 1990s would not exist

although both The Mack and Montell Jordan do not touch the majesty of No Diggity, the actual best R&B song of the 1990s

Edit: oh my god when you search for No Diggity on YT after the song itself and a lyric video it’s nothing but corny white people covering the song (and one k-pop song with No Diggity in the title)

The second page has literally Prince himself playing it live on stage but the first page is white beatboxers, Anna Kendrick, a fancily dressed country band, a fancily dressed jug band, soft acoustic boys and Ed Sheeran (but I repeat myself)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 3, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yardbomb posted:

... cool nature area.

Ok, that I can agree with.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Ok I can't remember where I found this video. Hopefully it was from my Recommended tab and I'm not just reposting something I saw in this thread lmao

Jessie Gender - Sia's Music: The Trap of Symbolic Autistic Representation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138y6mtgll8

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SpiritualDeath posted:

Ok I can't remember where I found this video. Hopefully it was from my Recommended tab and I'm not just reposting something I saw in this thread lmao

Jessie Gender - Sia's Music: The Trap of Symbolic Autistic Representation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138y6mtgll8

Jessie Gender is great and she deserves to be watched by more people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fun hater posted:

anyway watch "king of comedy"

I know most wouldn't catch it but it was bizarre putting De Niro in Joker because it's like they're saying "yeah this is the King of Comedy but bad".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

grittyreboot posted:

I always wondered if Scorsese knew some mobsters growing up. Goodfellas was so gleefully disdainful of its characters that he must have been basing them on people he knew

I don't know if Scorsese did, but at the least Joe Pesci certainly group around made guys. Famously the "Am I A Clown" bit comes from something he saw while waiting tables, Joe having been the timid guy who knows he's got to ask the violent criminal with a massive support system to pay his tab.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

grittyreboot posted:

I always wondered if Scorsese knew some mobsters growing up. Goodfellas was so gleefully disdainful of its characters that he must have been basing them on people he knew

He grew up in Little Italy, Manhattan in the '50s, so definitely.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1367015397514498049

The 'one time I turned into a dog and Doug helped me' level stanning for the Walkers will hopefully someday cease to surprise me, but not today.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

one of my favourite bits is how stupidly direct all of the background songs are but because they're instrumentals you'd have to know them already.

I definitely laughed when he talked about Florida and KKB's "Flamingo" started playing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Going to bat for Doug Walker is like going to bat for a glass of spoilt milk. I don't understand what continues to draw people to him.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Jacob Geller - Dark Souls 3 is Thinking of Ending Things

https://youtu.be/lnAWQz34PJs

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Brian David Gilbert made...a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZy8BbMz_U

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

After watching that Demo Reel video I’m kind of surprised he keeps doing the Nostalgia Critic if he really wants to do more than that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JordanKai posted:

Going to bat for Doug Walker is like going to bat for a glass of spoilt milk. I don't understand what continues to draw people to him.

Being ostensibly pro-Doug is just a flimsy excuse to spew hate at women.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

genius

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

JordanKai posted:

Parasocial relationships with internet personalities is a hell of a drug.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

From the look of the Channel Awesome page, Nostalgia Critic is the only thing that gets the views you'd expect for a channel their size. If Doug takes his hat and glasses off and does a "Doug Reviews", he seldom breaks 100k. If he puts them on and calls the video Nostalgia Critic, he gets around 350k. I get the feeling it's just the same people watching and the channel's not really moving in any direction. The Status Quo of YouTube.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tonfa posted:

:shrug: You just can't save people from themselves. Chase that direction far enough and it's like that one indie game that blur censored the villain's face so no one would find him hot.

Tragically, giving your villain a distinctively unusual head is the fastest way to get people to sexify him.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Well this is loving horrifying.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

bobjr posted:

After watching that Demo Reel video I’m kind of surprised he keeps doing the Nostalgia Critic if he really wants to do more than that.
He did, and was done with NC. But Demo Reel wasn’t pulling in views, and the whole network relied on NC to get them secondary views after watching the latest NC episode. So there was massive pressure on the Walkers to bring it back, which of course they did. So I guess if you feel any anger at Doug still being popular enough to stay afloat, remember that he is stuck yelling at old Care Bear movies until he dies.

The worst part of NC was the skits, so no surprise a whole series built around that failed. I was always baffled at how anyone could watch a feature length video of Doug skits, much less pay for a DVD of them. And he made like four the drat things.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
bird video was good, bdg video was also good

turns out the 90s horrify me

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It amazes me how every affiliate on that channel, and maybe especially the ones who were mistreated the most and "punished" with unfavorable terms or driven away, matured into something so much more than doug and his lame bullshit. And he hasn't changed at all. He was just the first person to rip off the angry video game nerd to talk about 80s media. His media crossover appeal peaked with those wretched PBS bumps where he does an impression of Groucho.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bobjr posted:

I'm not. Doug is a massive moral coward with a cloying, overriding need to be adored by people, and people loved the Nostalgia Critic. Rather than stick to his guns and keep doing what made him happy and having either the integrity to continue with it or the ingenuity to adjust things to try and get people on board with what he wanted to do, he gave in and crawled back to the role he hated but his audiece loved.

Because his need to be loved and celebrated is a bigger endorphin hit than actually doing something that he loves. Though who knows, maybe he's been doing this so long now he's finally won the battle over himself and he loves the Nostalgia Critic now. I can't say.

Doug Walker lives in a hell of his own making, and everyone who could have helped him out of it no longer likes him...

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 3, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I like bdg's comedy stuff, but I think I like his surreal horror a lot more.

EDIT: Or rather I should say, I like BDG and Karen's surreal horror a lot more.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 3, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I went back and watched this:

Kim Justice posted:

I fear for Codemasters, I really do.

But BREAKING NEWS: A first on the Internet. After enjoying so many flavours and aromas of the 18th Century...all the nutmeg in the world couldn't save this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfRpxj29RXE

And now I'm wondering what was so offputting about it? I'm guessing the fact that the recipe seemed to mostly be crab meat and egg. Maybe it could've been better with some butter plus salt and paprika for flavoring?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

Tragically, giving your villain a distinctively unusual head is the fastest way to get people to sexify him.

People 100% want to gently caress the Headless Horseman, obscuring a face can't stop the horn.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I went back and watched this:

And now I'm wondering what was so offputting about it? I'm guessing the fact that the recipe seemed to mostly be crab meat and egg. Maybe it could've been better with some butter plus salt and paprika for flavoring?

I can't imagine fishy, eggy, oatmeal texture is a super great combo. really wet mushed up crab is nasty as hell.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Yardbomb posted:

People 100% want to gently caress the Headless Horseman, obscuring a face can't stop the horn.

It's another hole after all

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Famethrowa posted:

I can't imagine fishy, eggy, oatmeal texture is a super great combo. really wet mushed up crab is nasty as hell.

Oh the texture looks horrible, but they seemed really put off by the taste, too. Anchovy sounds like an awful way to flavor that dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Not sure why Mr. Walker thought a parody of the Wall was going to be anything but roundly mocked.