Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
loving hell i remember buying the radeon 9800 pro and it was the top end card at launch but only cost $400

i guess accounting for inflation that would be around $570 now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CoolCab posted:

i would argue not even close. the 970 launched at only 350 USD, the only one i would consider close (since iirc the 1070 and particularly 2070 had a reputation for being terrible value, correct me if I'm wrong) 3070 - which was widely praised for value - launched at 479 just six years later. it's a baller card but it's no 970 in terms of relative performance either imo. i think the pressures were pretty similar, too - competition from AMD and freshly launched consoles.

I tried to practically give away a 1080ti to a buddy a few months back who is currently using my old 970, and he turned me down. Played through Cyberpunk 2077 and is still super happy with the performance he gets at 1080p, doesn't see any reason to upgrade. He'll probably regret it in a years time though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Without doing any research I think the 1060 6GB was a pretty good price/performance card, at least until the crypto bubble inflated the prices. I looked it up earlier and I paid $259.99 for it in 2016 and only replaced it in 2020 because I'd upgraded to a 1440p monitor.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 3, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/chiakokhua/status/1366759767260110851?s=20

:sickos:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

shrike82 posted:

I’m surprised they haven’t come up with a coin that requires humans in the mining loop

Umm.... :v:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I thought I was finally going to be able to upgrade my 970 to the next generation of graphics cards, but if the newest thing is just buying up 970s then I guess I'm coming out ahead?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol you could upgrade to a nicer 970

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i found it
https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2020060606

bill gates gonna turn us into gpus confirmed

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Combined with a form of fusion, the machines had found all the crypto they would ever need.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

i found it
https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2020060606

bill gates gonna turn us into gpus confirmed

I was thinking more literally, but that works too! :v:

(it's some sort of weird rewards program for the defunct MS Band, right?)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sad I don't know where the stock coolers are for my two 980s, I thought I'd run their value into the ground but now they're cash and I doubt anyone wants cards with waterblocks only

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stickman posted:

I was thinking more literally, but that works too! :v:

(it's some sort of weird rewards program for the defunct MS Band, right?)

"Human body activity associated with a task provided to a user may be used in a mining process of a cryptocurrency system" seems pretty literal and the timing appears to be after msband was discontinued.

It seems to be an attempt to gamify exercise with money rewards. I would buy that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm sad I don't know where the stock coolers are for my two 980s, I thought I'd run their value into the ground but now they're cash and I doubt anyone wants cards with waterblocks only

either get new air coolers for them and fold that into the price, or sell them at a "discount" relative to other 980s while making it clear that they're water-block enabled - I bet you'd still get buyers if you really wanted to sell

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BurritoJustice posted:

I have an RX 480 with a broken cooler and bought the lowest-tier Arctic VGA cooler for it that I never got around to putting on it. It does what I need which is booting server builds with gaming mobos that don't support headless boot, lol, just has to idle.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Are they ******** or what? They have water issues in Texas because water froze. They have water issues in Taiwan because they have run out of water.

THEN THEY ARE PLANNING A WATER-INTENSIVE FAB TO A DESERT?!!

What the gently caress is wrong with these loving corporate idiots?!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 3, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Ihmemies posted:

Are they retarded or what? They have water issues in Texas because water froze. They have water issues in Taiwan because they have run out of water.

I presume "money" is an inadequate answer?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ihmemies posted:

Are they retarded or what? They have water issues in Texas because water froze. They have water issues in Taiwan because they have run out of water.

yeah jeez texas, obvious water issues, why didn't they locate it instead in (checks notes) california or arizona?

(oregon looking p. nice tho!)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodplay it again posted:

$329-370 for 970 at launch and now we're looking at $490+ for the AIB 3060. The 980 ti killed the 980 pretty quickly launching at $649 to lose out by a hair to the $1,000 Titan. The 1070 wasn't as good of a value as the 970 but still gave you 980 ti perf + 2GB more VRAM at less power usage. 2xxx series was an awful price from the start and began the steep climb upwards compared to 2002-2017 GPU prices. You could get the best or second-best card for $500-649 for nearly two decades.
I thought the 1070 was pretty good even at around $400 that I paid at the height of the last coin boom, it's just that the 1080Ti was a great value instead of a trap for whales.

CyberPingu posted:

I presume "money" is an inadequate answer?
Yeah why don't they just take over Foxconn's factory in Wisconsin in that case

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Arizona already has Intel's fab presence and a big supply of local training for newer fab techs. They ain't gonna put a fab in California because of the environmental regulations.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah why don't they just take over Foxconn's factory in Wisconsin in that case

I guess there's a website and some fence they could surely use!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Shipon posted:

Arizona already has Intel's fab presence and a big supply of local training for newer fab techs. They ain't gonna put a fab in California because of the environmental regulations.

Well I guess there are no options but hurricane/typhoon/monsoon areas, earthquake areas, deserts etc. in the world. Can't build 'em fabs anywhere else. If the fab goes offline, it simply means more money thanks to restricted supply like what happened with HDD's etc. Well in fact it makes sense to build them in disaster/climate change prone areas, since in the end it results always in better profits.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Someone went to change the thermal pads on a Zotac 3080 and found it left this horrible sticky crap.

Was considering doing this to my Palit cos memory temps were hitting 100c but I don't want to sit there for hours scrubbing gunk off with iso.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Does sinking the back of the vram chips help? (genuinely asking) I mean, I assume some heat is transferred into the pcb.

Either way, that sticky detritus is gross.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Bloodplay it again posted:

$329-370 for 970 at launch and now we're looking at $490+ for the AIB 3060. The 980 ti killed the 980 pretty quickly launching at $649 to lose out by a hair to the $1,000 Titan. The 1070 wasn't as good of a value as the 970 but still gave you 980 ti perf + 2GB more VRAM at less power usage. 2xxx series was an awful price from the start and began the steep climb upwards compared to 2002-2017 GPU prices. You could get the best or second-best card for $500-649 for nearly two decades.

I paid $357 and got $30 back due to the lawsuit over the VRAM.

hahahahahahahahaaha

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

it dont matter posted:

Someone went to change the thermal pads on a Zotac 3080 and found it left this horrible sticky crap.

Was considering doing this to my Palit cos memory temps were hitting 100c but I don't want to sit there for hours scrubbing gunk off with iso.

Palit might be using different pads, or maybe it's breaking down from the temperature.

Akasa Tim clean always seemed more effective to me then iso.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

OhFunny posted:

hahahahahahahahaaha

California's also in a hell of a drought and has huge fires almost as a routine, but they also waste a ton of water on certain crops.

Water is complicated.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Craptacular! posted:

California's also in a hell of a drought and has huge fires almost as a routine, but they also waste a ton of water on certain crops.

Water is complicated.

We ain't the #1 leading producer of almonds for nothin'! :shepface:

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Harik posted:

yeah, send me a 6xxx series card and I'll figure it out for you :v

I've only half-heartedly looked for one since I don't really have any time to game until april.
Turing cards also have USB-C controllers.

On my computer with kvm it's just stuttery mess, mouse just skips around and frequent audio stutters, even after enabling MSI. :sigh:

I have a separate M.2 USB card for that reason.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Nice to see that 970s are retaining their value. I still have mine, since I can't get a better card. So many years, so much value.

Now, if only I could get a 3070/3080. Hah.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Also on team 970. Might as well wait as long as it takes for a sub $1k 3080. I've made it this long..

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There's really nothing pressing right now since Cyberpunk turned out to be a dud.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kena Bridge of Spirits looks absolutely gorgeous but the hardware requirements don't seem too demanding. Ryzen 1700 + 1070 recommended.

My RTX 3080 will be justified on the cyberpunk cat game.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
AMD Radeon event happening now. So far, nothing majorly new. No DLSS alternative announced yet. They also kept pushing FidelityFX for raytracing in Resident Evil 8, so that doesn't bode well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjBqaGLRycc

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

DLSS is the main thing keeping me focused on Nvidia, but I'm starting to wonder if AMD card availability/price might make me crack

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

roomtwofifteen posted:

DLSS is the main thing keeping me focused on Nvidia, but I'm starting to wonder if AMD card availability/price might make me crack

I upgraded from a 1080 to a 3070 because an opportunity presented itself and I wanted to move the 1080 while prices were still mad about a month ago - I've not once turned DLSS on in any way. it will be a killer technology if it continues to enjoy support but thus far it's academic to my use case.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It sounds like AMD wants to release their DLSS equivalent in one push across desktop, laptops, and consoles. I guess it makes sense in that it helps people understand what the technology is and does, which will then carry over to GPUs, rather than the usual "release obscure technology setting only hardcore nerds will know to check".

Some GN info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYlQO0uZlMA&t=436s

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

roomtwofifteen posted:

Like Steve said in GN's 3060 review, cards don't need to be exciting any more. They just need to exist and be purchasable.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

njsykora posted:

Like Steve said in GN's 3060 review, cards don't need to be exciting any more. They just need to exist and be purchasable.

There is a parallel universe with GPU supply where the 3060 review is "Why did nVidia release another 1080ti for $330?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Vintersorg posted:

There's really nothing pressing right now since Cyberpunk turned out to be a dud.

I still have a lot of 2015-2020 games in my Steam backlog that I would love to play at 4k60 which my 1070ti just cannot do.