Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

builds character posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress, I'm so sorry.

I just found it.

Are you ready?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/458384745406369/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search

Literally less than half what you are ready to drop on maintenance for GroverTruk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

J.A.B.C. posted:

Literally less than half what you are ready to drop on maintenance for GroverTruk.

Then you can drop 10x the maintenance price of the Grovertruk into the Itasca, brilliant!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lol, I sat down with my new copy of "Learn to Timber Frame" tonight, and I cracked it open kinda randomly, and this is no poo poo the first page I saw.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

builds character posted:

I just found it.

Are you ready?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/458384745406369/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search

Holy poo poo I need that thing

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Elviscat posted:

Lol, I sat down with my new copy of "Learn to Timber Frame" tonight, and I cracked it open kinda randomly, and this is no poo poo the first page I saw.

Ridiculous, how do they deal with the noise?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Turning a box truck into an RV is the vehicle equivalent of people making shipping container houses.

"It's roughly the right shape of the thing I want so it's perfect!"

Also not having a proper, factory-standard-looking, rear door on the box truck is going to draw disproportionately more attention from thieves.

Edit: Which one as a thief are you going to immediately start scoping out.

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 3, 2021

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

beer gas canister posted:

I was thinking this 20 pages ago. Please get some therapy, Rytheric. You can do it all over the phone or video chat, no need to go to the office or whatever. It's worth it to at least try. The uncontrolled spending and other habits are issues that you can (have to) learn to control.

This was me to a tee a few years ago, and it took therapy and a LOT of introspection to realize that it wasn't an innate fault of mine, an inescapable problem, but misplaced reckoning with trauma and issues from my past.

This thread has caused me to seriously reflect on some of the choices that I've made in life, and I've surely been guilty of similar pie-in-the-sky fixation to avoid Real Problems, from little things around the house to huge money issues. In retrospect it's clear how close I've been to loving myself over in similar ways, minus the deadly vehicle stuff. Sunk cost fallacy denial is a hell of a drug. There but for the grace of God go I.

And thank gently caress you're fixing the exhaust, although you should just ditch that truck. Rooting for you buddy.

Quoting this cause I think it's really important that it doesn't get missed,

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The thread is his dad now.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Elviscat posted:

Lol. Im have someone else shape the Timbers so I don't have to deal with that. Thanks for checking it out though. Didnt know if anyway one was going to get it and follow along haha. Maybe we could have a book club and the constructionalist can point out potential missing information lol.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 3, 2021

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The_Muncher posted:

Ry I know you are super attached to being able to just pull up someplace and sit on your porch but why is that incompatible with a regular assed rolling door?

If it were me, my first priority after the exhaust would be replacing the door. I would probably also manufacturer a false wall to deter thieves. First thing that comes to mind is like sections of drums with biohazard or radiation warnings on them. but like, you could still have a cozy little porch behind those after they swing out of the way!

Your current setup seems really dangerous! And wastes the biggest advantage of a box truck imo which is having a stealth camper.

Pretty sure he took the door off himself. He didn’t want to waste the three inches of headroom on the track for the door.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Pretty sure he took the door off himself. He didn’t want to waste the three inches of headroom on the track for the door.

Yeah I took the door off. It was rather beat up. The po took it off and kind of beat it up to make room for his mobile tire press machine that didn't really fit in the back. I put it back on at one point but it was too damaged to be functional.

oggb
Feb 19, 2021

Rytheric posted:

Yeah I took the door off. It was rather beat up. The po took it off and kind of beat it up to make room for his mobile tire press machine that didn't really fit in the back. I put it back on at one point but it was too damaged to be functional.

Get a big piece of tie dyed cloth to use like a curtain over the back of the box. Write something like "This Machine Kills Pedestrians" on it in red paint. Bonus: it will look like a badass cape when you're driving down the road.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

So you went to a junkyard and got a replacement one off the dozens of box trucks in better condition they probably have. That way you could secure the back and keep randos from climbing in, thus negating the need to resort to the threat of deadly force to settle minor property crimes that won't be able to happen.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Fermented Tinal posted:

So you went to a junkyard and got a replacement one off the dozens of box trucks in better condition they probably have. That way you could secure the back and keep randos from climbing in, thus negating the need to resort to the threat of deadly force to settle minor property crimes that won't be able to happen.

I couldn't find any box trucks at the junk yard. Makes me think there is a program around here for them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rytheric posted:

Yeah the French doors are an oxymoron to the insulation equation however I also needed a large window to look out of. The fence doors will have. 2x6 framing so there is plenty of space behind them for drapes and such.

If you MUST do this inadvisable thing.......

The framing should NOT be 2x6 construction. It's too heavy and too rigid. Instead you should rip ALL of that out and, if you must have a 6" deep cavity, use 1x2s or and stand them off the wall to make your 5.5 inches. Maybe a 2x4 as a sole plate and top plates. This not only gives you the cavity for fiberglass insulation in a lighter and more flexible way it also prevents the bulk of the thermal bridging. Using 2x4s as king studs around this "door" should be.....I'm not going to say sufficient, but...."as good as it will get". I think the top plate needs something stupid done to it to make sure this all stays, like bolting through the top of the box and/or construction adhesive.

Remember that weight budget I was talking about? These are the kinds of things you do to make it.

Remember how you wanted this to be as energy efficient as possible? That's not all "what I buy", it's also a lot of technique. You've already screwed this up by "framing" before sealing the box. And it's framed wrong so there is no loss. You need to think about things like air sealing and thermal bridging too.

The_Muncher posted:

Ry I know you are super attached to being able to just pull up someplace and sit on your porch but why is that incompatible with a regular assed rolling door?

I've been thinking about the lack of an operable rear door. I'm not sure it's even remotely feasible to find a replacment off of a 25 year old box, but it would seem to be something necessary because:

- There is nowhere this thing can be parked in public unless it's backed up against a wall
- It complicates getting any kind of work done, having to find a place and unload everything
- As you mentioned, it eliminates the possibility of stealth camping, which is what I though was the entire purpose of using a box van rather than just starting with a much less expensive and likely fully featured and certainly safer RV
- When driving, a huge negative pressure area is created behind the box. This will:
a. Drag exhaust gases back into the box, which has a pass-through to the cabin of the van if I recall. (this is regardless of the exhaust routing, which only helps when stationary/low speed)
b. Drag dirt and water in. It's gonna be FILTHY after driving in the rain. Surely we've all see how dirty the backs of vehicles get when it's raining. It's much worse than the sides/front.
c. Likely create enough buffeting to destroy any screening/screen door/etc back there.

All of this at blistering speeds of like, 35 MPH.

This things needs a lockable rollup rear door to even approach a basic level of usability. It doesn't eliminate the possibility of having a screen/screen door right behind it.

It's also likely that without a proper rear door you're gonna get pulled over at random (that was gonna happen anyway, let's be serious but this just clinches it) for not having a secure load. Somebody already said this thing is rolling probable cause (and the cops only need reasonable suspicion, which is a lower bar).

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 3, 2021

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Rytheric posted:

I dont care much about the value of my property. I only care about the ability to defend myself. But your point still stands.

If you don't care about the value of your property, or your time, or your health, or your money,

What are you after with this project?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

If you MUST do this inadvisable thing.......

The framing should NOT be 2x6 construction. It's too heavy and too rigid. Instead you should rip ALL of that out and, if you must have a 6" deep cavity, use 1x2s or and stand them off the wall to make your 5.5 inches. Maybe a 2x4 as a sole plate and top plates. This not only gives you the cavity for fiberglass insulation in a lighter and more flexible way it also prevents the bulk of the thermal bridging. Using 2x4s as king studs around this "door" should be.....I'm not going to say sufficient, but...."as good as it will get". I think the top plate needs something stupid done to it to make sure this all stays, like bolting through the top of the box and/or construction adhesive.

Remember that weight budget I was talking about? These are the kinds of things you do to make it.

Remember how you wanted this to be as energy efficient as possible? That's not all "what I buy", it's also a lot of technique. You've already screwed this up by "framing" before sealing the box. And it's framed wrong so there is no loss. You need to think about things like air sealing and thermal bridging too.

I've been thinking about the lack of an operable rear door. I'm not sure it's even remotely feasible to find a replacment off of a 25 year old box, but it would seem to be something necessary because:

- There is nowhere this thing can be parked in public unless it's backed up against a wall
- It complicates getting any kind of work done, having to find a place and unload everything
- As you mentioned, it eliminates the possibility of stealth camping, which is what I though was the entire purpose of using a box van rather than just starting with a much less expensive and likely fully featured and certainly safer RV
- When driving, a huge negative pressure area is created behind the box. This will:
a. Drag exhaust gases back into the box, which has a pass-through to the cabin of the van if I recall. (this is regardless of the exhaust routing, which only helps when stationary/low speed)
b. Drag dirt and water in. It's gonna be FILTHY after driving in the rain. Surely we've all see how dirty the backs of vehicles get when it's raining. It's much worse than the sides/front.
c. Likely create enough buffeting to destroy any screening/screen door/etc back there.

All of this at blistering speeds of like, 35 MPH.

This things needs a lockable rollup rear door to even approach a basic level of usability. It doesn't eliminate the possibility of having a screen/screen door right behind it.

It's also likely that without a proper rear door you're gonna get pulled over at random (that was gonna happen anyway, let's be serious but this just clinches it) for not having a secure load. Somebody already said this thing is rolling probable cause (and the cops only need reasonable suspicion, which is a lower bar).

No to discredit anything you said. I'm taking it in. But I want to note, that the police in my area generally dig the Sconces.

Edit. As for the load. There are slots in the metal part of my tail gate that I am considering using to place a guard rail board for when I transport something. I could have like a roll down tarp like thing to cover the back. Also, I do always park it against a building unless I'm in a back yard.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 3, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hell yeah Motronic is on board. You can make bad decisions and still be smart about it, but now we can all make them together.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rytheric posted:

No to discredit anything you said. I'm taking it in. But I want to note, that the police in my area generally dig the Sconces.

Edit. As for the load. There are slots in the metal part of my tail gate that I am considering using to place a guard rail board for when I transport something. I could have like a roll down tarp like thing to cover the back. Also, I do always park it against a building unless I'm in a back yard.

Out of that entire post, these are the two things you focus on?

The first is tone deaf, because it doesn't matter what the current crop of police in Shitsville, NC think if you ever need to....ya know...leave shitsville in the thing.

The second is just a dumb idea and insufficient for the bulk of the purposes mentioned, the only one of which you read was about an unsecured load and it's still likely insufficient for that.

loving hopeless. Get therapy.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

Out of that entire post, these are the two things you focus on?

The first is tone deaf, because it doesn't matter what the current crop of police in Shitsville, NC think if you ever need to....ya know...leave shitsville in the thing.

The second is just a dumb idea and insufficient for the bulk of the purposes mentioned, the only one of which you read was about an unsecured load and it's still likely insufficient for that.

loving hopeless. Get therapy.

I mean, I could give a line by line recitation and my reflection on it, but im on my way out the door to go to work and those were quick items to mention. That why I said that I was taking it in and wasn't discrediting what you said.

Typically the flatbed work trucks in the area just put 2x4 boarding on the sides and back and ratchet strap things down.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Motronic posted:

Breaking bad taught us probable cause doesn't apply to vehicles that people live in

:goonsay:

schmug
May 20, 2007

Rytheric posted:

I mean, I could give a line by line recitation and my reflection on it, but im on my way out the door to go to work and those were quick items to mention. That why I said that I was taking it in and wasn't discrediting what you said.

Typically the flatbed work trucks in the area just put 2x4 boarding on the sides and back and ratchet strap things down.

yes a flatbed truck and a box truck are both trucks

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Alternate option: Make the walls mostly decorative with the lightest framing possible (metal studs and plastic panel with rubber joints like you see in lovely commercial bathrooms?) whose purpose is mostly to cover up the 6 inches of spray foam insulation behind them. Do the same with the ceiling. Ensure everything is attached only in 2 dimensions and can flex.

Downside, you can never attach anything to them. Upside, they don't have to be all that rigid, and now you're living in a cooler. With no door on 1/6th of its surface area.

Other alternative: Don't spend this kind of time and money on a half broken, 25 year old truck that will either continue to bleed your bank account dry or end up effectively a very small shipping container on a non-mobile cart that only a tow truck can move.

Because it's not like when the truck parts of this boondoggle inevitably die, you can just pop the house part off and put it on a new one. You're creating a worst of all worlds scenario here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

schmug posted:

yes a flatbed truck and a box truck are both trucks

Thank you. That was a much nicer way to put it than what I was thinking.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

why the gently caress are you talking to the loving cops? stop talking to cops. don't show them your sconces, don't show them your sharpened chisels, only show them the piss well if you plan on pushing them in and leaving them there(mods this is a joke)

:boston:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
He's going to talk to them about the automatic shotgun he's going to purchase to shoot anyone that comes in the back and then get stopped by every patrol car for the rest of time.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
OP is EXACTLY the kind of person that can't stop themselves from talking to the cops and trying to "well actually" them.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Motronic posted:

Thank you. That was a much nicer way to put it than what I was thinking.

Problem is that is literally how his mind works. It's exactly that type of thinking that is going to get him or someone else hurt... or worse.

Honestly, this thread should be in E/N, not DIY.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Johnny Truant posted:

why the gently caress are you talking to the loving cops? stop talking to cops. don't show them your sconces, don't show them your sharpened chisels, only show them the piss well if you plan on pushing them in and leaving them there(mods this is a joke)

:boston:

My boss is a 20 year retired patrolman, and my other room mate was a sheiffs deputy for several years. I've gone to dinner with several of the officers in the area as a result. Plus I am generally a known quantity everywhere I go for various reasons. I typically establish good relations with the popo and local government. I'm not a bootlicker by any stretch of the means but I am rather personable in real life and the games I play.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

schmug posted:

Problem is that is literally how his mind works. It's exactly that type of thinking that is going to get him or someone else hurt... or worse.

What is E/N?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

schmug posted:

Oh yeah, we've all been watching it over and over. He learns a small fraction of the terminology related to a subject and then thinks that's the full depth of knowledge required to have a mastery of the whole thing.

It's why this entire project is unlikely to be completed in any usable way. The biggest problem with that is it will very likely leave him both broke and homeless. (and that's a best case scenario)

schmug
May 20, 2007

Rytheric posted:

What is E/N?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=214

not even joking here.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

builds character posted:

I just found it.

Are you ready?

Someone needs to buy it now

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

serious gaylord posted:

He's going to talk to them about the automatic shotgun he's going to purchase to shoot anyone that comes in the back and then get stopped by every patrol car for the rest of time.

It's a pump action...

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

My boss is a 20 year retired patrolman, and my other room mate was a sheiffs deputy for several years. I've gone to dinner with several of the officers in the area as a result. Plus I am generally a known quantity everywhere I go for various reasons. I typically establish good relations with the popo and local government. I'm not a bootlicker by any stretch of the means but I am rather personable in real life and the games I play.

Congrats on being white

Your boss is an rear end in a top hat

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Btw the minute one of your little projects makes a white person with money uncomfortable, which is probably one minute after you move out of the sheriff’s illegal apartment, those cops are going to stop being your friends

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AdmiralViscen posted:

Congrats on being white

Your boss is an rear end in a top hat

Is that based on something or do you interpret ACAB literally? It seems like you're bringing some baggage into your posting that doesn't really add anything useful.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

um excuse me posted:

Is that based on something or do you interpret ACAB literally? It seems like you're bringing some baggage into your posting that doesn't really add anything useful.

His boss has been giving him nothing but poo poo advice, is taking advantage of him financially, and is now making him feel invincible about police interference on any of his plans (including gun ownership).

If he was performing his responsibility as a friend/advisor then the people in this topic wouldn’t have to be doing it.

If Ry thinks that his cool personality and temporary social connections are going to protect him from the law when he’s fully executed his plan and is homeless, that’s another fantasy that we should be pushing back on

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It was my interpretation that his boss and this thread seem to agree on a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

AdmiralViscen posted:

His boss has been giving him nothing but poo poo advice, is taking advantage of him financially, and is now making him feel invincible about police interference on any of his plans (including gun ownership).

If he was performing his responsibility as a friend/advisor then the people in this topic wouldn’t have to be doing it.

If Ry thinks that his cool personality and temporary social connections are going to protect him from the law when he’s fully executed his plan and is homeless, that’s another fantasy that we should be pushing back on

I've only lived in this town for 2-3 years. I'm not relying on my boss for protections. I've had good experience with the pope everywhere I go. Yes, I'm privileged in a sense. Typically I don't do anything suspicious and if I stand out and get questioned i explain myself and have conversations with them even when I was living out of a firebird. I realize not everyone has the opportunity to explain themselves. And north carolina has a light Marijuana decriminalization due to the uptick in hemp production so people aren't getting randomly pulled over for it as much here anymore under that excuse.