Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don’t think they rolled the truck’s odo back. It’s probably rolled over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

No they really haven't, people have linked to some auctions and poo poo, and old ambulances, and I'd bet money that they all have scragged out suspensions, and a questionable maintenance history.

And Rytheric's ability to determine if one is properly sorted is about the same as his ability to do suspension work, and as shown he's not very good at bargaining. At least if he has this van fixed up by a competent shop (I know, I know this raises more issues) then he knows it's fixed and going to continue working.

E: a quick perusal of Raleigh Craigslist shows a good condition, new box truck at about $25k, a questionable example from the early-mid 2000's at $13k, $11k buys a lot of suspension bits and reman transmissions.

What about this one?

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/littleton-ram-2500-conversion-camper/7273217754.html

Batteries need to be vented to atmosphere when charging, I think, which makes me a little nervous but otherwise this looks clean, relatively low mileage, already comes with solar setup. Get the guy to take it to a mechanic and check it out and then see if he really means "firm" or if he'd go down to 7500 because it's been up for a month.

Maybe this one? Not as clean, but maybe a new motor? Maybe a warranty with that new motor? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1147629202359851/ Either way it comes already built out which is a huge plus.

This one looks pretty clean. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/506901960296720/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search While it's 13k, I guarantee if they heard the sob story that is Rytheric's life and how much he would love this new home they'd knock off 5k.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

builds character posted:

What about this one?

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/littleton-ram-2500-conversion-camper/7273217754.html

Batteries need to be vented to atmosphere when charging, I think, which makes me a little nervous but otherwise this looks clean, relatively low mileage, already comes with solar setup. Get the guy to take it to a mechanic and check it out and then see if he really means "firm" or if he'd go down to 7500 because it's been up for a month.

Maybe this one? Not as clean, but maybe a new motor? Maybe a warranty with that new motor? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1147629202359851/ Either way it comes already built out which is a huge plus.

This one looks pretty clean. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/506901960296720/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search While it's 13k, I guarantee if they heard the sob story that is Rytheric's life and how much he would love this new home they'd knock off 5k.

The bottom two are nice, but they won't be as warm as GroverTruk. The last one has potential because it decreases the size of the sleeping enclosure which would help keep that warm which is the important part. The rest of the vehicle would be freezing. The second vehicle could be modified. I'd still prefer GroverTruk though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

builds character posted:

What about this one?

#1 is a gem, but you can't stand up in it, #2 is a crusty mess, and #3 is a 1988 Ram Van, although it's very nicely appointed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

builds character posted:

What about this one?

Batteries need to be vented to atmosphere when charging, I think, which makes me a little nervous but otherwise this looks clean, relatively low mileage, already comes with solar setup.

Ryan truck charges the batteries in his back room. Which is by his sleeping mat zone. So hopefully by atmosphere you mean something like 'contains air' and not, 'somewhere outside the living space'. What can go wrong with a marine battery off gassing into your living zone.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
gently caress gently caress gently caress, I'm so sorry.

I just found it.

Are you ready?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/458384745406369/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Love the front end on that thing

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

builds character posted:

I just found it.

Are you ready?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/458384745406369/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search

Perfect for solving futuristic cyber mysteries.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

builds character posted:

I just found it.

Are you ready?

Lol I would probably buy that on principle. My friend in Chicago would love it.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

It looks like it'd be too small for me after a couple helpings of chicken tendies though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

builds character posted:

I just found it.

Are you ready?

:drat:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

builds character posted:

I just found it.

Are you ready?

if ry doesn't buy it someone in AI should

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Dude you could travel through so much time and multiverses in that thing banging hot robots and so forth maybe get one of those keanu reeves microchips stuck in your head :krad:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

A fun aspect of this thread is that Ry will say, "I need to hide my money from myself so I can't accidentally spend it all on penny whistles and moon pies," and I think yeah that makes sense, I do the same thing, it's the responsible thing to do, but then a bunch of goons express shock and horror and I remember that I have extreme unmedicated ADHD.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I generally think of 401ks and Roth IRAs to be one way avenues. Money goes in, nothing comes out until retirement. If I can't put money in, then I'm spending too much. If I get a incentive adjustment in my salary, that's how much the contribution goes up. I may make a ton of money and simply not know what it feels like because it's never been available to me. Live below your means and you'll reap the benefits later.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Everett False posted:

A fun aspect of this thread is that Ry will say, "I need to hide my money from myself so I can't accidentally spend it all on penny whistles and moon pies," and I think yeah that makes sense, I do the same thing, it's the responsible thing to do, but then a bunch of goons express shock and horror and I remember that I have extreme unmedicated ADHD.

I have ADD myself. Usually it's okay though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Rytheric posted:

I have ADD myself.

Ya don't say. Huh.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

Ya don't say. Huh.

I knew you'd be lurking in the shadows Motronic waiting for me to confess which mental issue I had.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Like so many of us in this thread, you would probably benefit from a Vynase prescription.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Rytheric posted:

I knew you'd be lurking in the shadows Motronic waiting for me to confess which mental issue I had.

Dude, it's kinda of important. Because you have a bunch of people just enabling bad behaviors here.

It's funny when you're just a goof and nobody's getting hurt. But you have legit issues, none of this is helping you, and it's not funny anymore.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It stopped being funny when you were literally gassing yourself, Ry, hope that helps.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rytheric posted:

I've got ADD, it works real well at work where I'm beholden to many bosses and outside entities, allows me to focus on my dozen or so technicians work flow, coordinate that with the ship's master schedule, outside agencies, smoothly plan out 20 conflicting maintenance and testing evolutions, that I also have to write and develop, my performance is acknowledged to be well above that of most of my peers.

Absent that focusing influence I tend to wander off and get lost in grandiose projects, that would take me far longer to complete then my estimates, it makes it really hard to buckle down and focus on my home renovation.

That sound familiar?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

I've got ADD, it works real well at work where I'm beholden to many bosses and outside entities, allows me to focus on my dozen or so technicians work flow, coordinate that with the ship's master schedule, outside agencies, smoothly plan out 20 conflicting maintenance and testing evolutions, that I also have to write and develop, my performance is acknowledged to be well above that of most of my peers.

Absent that focusing influence I tend to wander off and get lost in grandiose projects, that would take me far longer to complete then my estimates, it makes it really hard to buckle down and focus on my home renovation.

That sound familiar?

Similar. I've developed into a jack of all trades for my company. I tend to cover all our departments from drilling to construction testing/inspection, geotechnical, and environmental. My life is chaos. I did have a little planner that worked for a whole where I used progress bars versus an alloted number of hours per task in a week. I will see if I can find it.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rytheric posted:

EasilyConfused posted:

Rytheric posted:
accidently bought a large $2000 telescope.

Rytheric posted:
accidently bought an armful of books and an electric violin.

Rytheric posted:
accidently set up a $500 date in the immediate future though. Was going to take her on a pedicure date since she is on her feet all day for work and accidently referred to it as a spa date.

Rytheric posted:
accidently volunteered myself for too much work and I'm drowning. Going to have to pull a weekender and grovel at some point.

Rytheric posted:
accidently depleted the groverBattery to the point my inverter doesn't want to charge it

Rytheric posted:
accidently spend $800-1200 a month on food.

Rytheric posted:
accidently eating 10k MG of sodium a day

ellie the beep fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 3, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Here is how I managed it at one point in time. I realized I had a tendency to obsess about something, burn myself out, go on to something else burn myself on that then comeback to the original subject. I'd make 3 steps forward on things but one step back as I would have to relearn things I'd loose in-between the gaps. Then I composed a system to throttle myself to prevent that from happening.

So this is the main system where I assign tasks an hourly budget graphically for the week starting in the upper left going down the column then upper right down. Then fill in the progress bars as I completed them during the week. Then I had a journal ledger of each task I did that day, and a prioritized todo list.

Once a week was complete I'd fill another color-coded progress bar with all the hours on one bar and grade myself on how well I stuck to the budget.

I was wanting to have an app made for it at one point, but that fell through the tracks.

Edit:redacted company names.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 3, 2021

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ry: my number one priority, by far, is insulation.
*buys french doors*

Edit: who is this fifi?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Big Taint posted:

*buys french doors*

A woman I was dating for 3 months. She left because she was going through something and she asked me if I wasn't dating her would we still be friends. I was busy working on a pipeline and trying to be attentive but at the same time I was i kind of blocking out emotion while working and accidently told her that there are a lot more that I was willing to put up with as a partner than as a friend. Apparently that was not a good answer.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 3, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m still on page 50 of this thread but I’m just in awe of

quote:

Co is like a sometimes snack that happens while co2 will always happen.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Motronic posted:

Dude, it's kinda of important. Because you have a bunch of people just enabling bad behaviors here.

It's funny when you're just a goof and nobody's getting hurt. But you have legit issues, none of this is helping you, and it's not funny anymore.

Ive come around to this way of thinking

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Rytheric posted:

lmao that explains so much

Like, short-term contracts? Financing a phone, or a laptop? The kind of thing I could pay off early if I were really determined, but whose monthly payments are low enough that I could probably still make them while unemployed living in a van? Yes, absolutely. Totally fine with those.

Long-term contracts? A mortgage? Something that requires me not to, two years from now, disappear into the woods to live in an old hunting cabin for four months because the power of cumulative Whims™ became too strong? Absolutely not. I have not yet met my future self but I've met my past self and you can't trust the bitch.

It makes van/truck life VERY appealing because, assuming you own the truck outright, it can theoretically survive the whims. When you decide you need to live in a van down by the river, RyTruck is there. When you decide that was stupid and move into a real house again, RyTruck can still be there, waiting, for when you decide that actually it is the real house which is stupid and the river is calling.

From what I've been told if you're ADHD enough you end up almost on the autism spectrum. I'm, like... borderline. Interacting with other human beings and their many terrible noises and expectations that you will do things in a way that makes sense to them is A Whole Thing.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Earth posted:

Ry, I want you to succeed. This thread moves too fast now for me to be able to have time to contribute. I will share one thing. I think your greatest problem is not dreams or attempting to achieve them, I think your greatest impediment to achieving dreams is your impulse control. Another poster said how you're accidentally doing a lot of stuff that is costing you in health, finances, time, etc. I have a similar problem which is why I can spot it. I do a lot of stuff myself, too. The list of stuff I want to accomplish is longer than my arm. If I spend time on each item equally then nothing gets done at all year in year out. I'm trying to focus my time better to get one or two things done and then move onto the next one or two things. This has allowed me to actually get things off my plate and my list smaller.

A specific example of how you're hurting yourself is eating that much fast food. Number one, massively unhealthy. Number two, think about what materials that money can be buying you. Saving $10 a day is $50 in a week of work and that's quite a bit of supplies for your real goals.

I liked your post about things you're correcting direction/fixing. I'm glad you're considering walking away from the land purchase. There is so much land opportunities out there that you don't need to buy a dud of a deal.

Finally, the person who said you're a golden retriever of a human was absolutely right. I'm really enjoying reading about what's going on here. I'm glad you're getting your CO issue fixed because I really don't want you to die. One of these days maybe I'll see a documentary of what you did like the one I showed you of the Alaska dude and his cabin.

Thank you for your word. This thread does move incredibly fast sometimes.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Don't worry they set me straight.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I was on like page 47 or something and must have hit last page...because it has taken some mind bending turns...

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 3, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Motronic posted:

How is your health insurance? Would you consider talking to someone? Because the more I read the more I've gone from "this is a willfully ignorant moron" to "this person has one or more diagnosable and treatable issues where management and treatment would make their life much better". Which makes this whole tread tragic rather than funny unless and until you get real help.

I was thinking this 20 pages ago. Please get some therapy, Rytheric. You can do it all over the phone or video chat, no need to go to the office or whatever. It's worth it to at least try. The uncontrolled spending and other habits are issues that you can (have to) learn to control.

Vizuyos posted:

I'm pointing this out because you have a bad habit of justifying poor decisions by saying you didn't have the time or money to do it any better, even though you end up spending more time and money cleaning up after the bad decision than if you'd just taken the good option in the first place.

This was me to a tee a few years ago, and it took therapy and a LOT of introspection to realize that it wasn't an innate fault of mine, an inescapable problem, but misplaced reckoning with trauma and issues from my past.

This thread has caused me to seriously reflect on some of the choices that I've made in life, and I've surely been guilty of similar pie-in-the-sky fixation to avoid Real Problems, from little things around the house to huge money issues. In retrospect it's clear how close I've been to loving myself over in similar ways, minus the deadly vehicle stuff. Sunk cost fallacy denial is a hell of a drug. There but for the grace of God go I.

And thank gently caress you're fixing the exhaust, although you should just ditch that truck. Rooting for you buddy.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 3, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Rytheric posted:

So this is the main system where I assign tasks an hourly budget graphically for the week starting in the upper left going down the column then upper right down. Then fill in the progress bars as I completed them during the week. Then I had a journal ledger of each task I did that day, and a prioritized todo list.

I, too, am often a student of the art of Arnold Rimmer's Study Timetable. and i'll tell you the two ways it goes for me, let's see if either is familiar.

1: I spend so long obsessing on getting the to-do system just right that I run out of time to do anything but develop the system. The tasks that are on my to-do schedule don't get done, or if they do get done, are done slap-dash and under the pressure of a deadline barreling down on me.

2: One day i just forget to use the system and then I never pick it up again.

P.S. I have bad ADHD. I can self-manage but it's exhausting; my life is significantly better when I'm medicated.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Big Taint posted:

*buys french doors*

Yeah the French doors are an oxymoron to the insulation equation however I also needed a large window to look out of. The fence doors will have. 2x6 framing so there is plenty of space behind them for drapes and such.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

D-LINK posted:

:sigh: Not doing the inside before you framed and insulated is the kind of 1st year apprentice mistake that leads me to say that you need more experience before you attempt to build a house, buddy.

These seemingly minor details compound over the course of a project into big problems. I know that's on hold due to the many issues with the property you wanted, but please don't timber frame a house with ropes when you do get there

I can still pull the panels off the walls and do it. Think the joints (assuming the joints mean between the floor and the outerwall) are fairly gunked up anyway from all the years of stuff collecting between them.

The_Muncher
Mar 2, 2021

AdmiralViscen posted:

The French doors are like 2/3rds into the box, as entry to the closet thing he’s sleeping in behind the cab

He’s said that he is going to buy a gun and if anyone tries to enter his unsecured abandoned vehicle he will murder them. I think he might have cooled off on the idea, but he didn’t include it on his list of learning so I dunno

Ry I know you are super attached to being able to just pull up someplace and sit on your porch but why is that incompatible with a regular assed rolling door?

If it were me, my first priority after the exhaust would be replacing the door. I would probably also manufacturer a false wall to deter thieves. First thing that comes to mind is like sections of drums with biohazard or radiation warnings on them. but like, you could still have a cozy little porch behind those after they swing out of the way!

Your current setup seems really dangerous! And wastes the biggest advantage of a box truck imo which is having a stealth camper.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That's what the fire barrel was supposed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Here is a link to a YouTube video of someone making a box truck tiny home. https://youtu.be/7ohdKusa6zg