Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

oh poo poo!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I had a physical copy of Blindsight I would print that out as a dust jacket

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

bleah! bleah! I vant to suck your astroblood!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

this definitely should be the cover of blindsight

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

fart simpson posted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fart simpson posted:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
gotta wonder how vlad ended up in space in the first place. maybe something like this but with a vampire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRRw1ERj2Gc

which would explain the kids too

Carthag Tuek posted:

if you havent read this, its a quick read and its fantastic:

https://qntm.org/mmacevedo
yeah thats good

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sfgate/status/1366909501199159298

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Oh the book that LIFEFORCE was based on.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yesssss

excellent font work

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I was trying to get somewhere with the 'Choose your own adventure' label and Watts' views on consciousness being an evolutionary dead-end but I couldn't make it work :o:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
THE AI CHOOSES YOUR ADVENTURE

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/alamo-drafthouse-bankruptcy-chapter-11-sale-1234920558/

sad but not exactly surprising

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
drat it. they were doing great work buying up weird old movies and restoring/re-releasing them

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
God drat, man.

Literally like two weeks before pandemic hellworld started, I was talking with a friend who informed me there was a drafthouse nearby, and I was actively making plans to visit for the first time...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
it could be much worse:

"Founder Tim League will remain involved with the company and is among the lender group buying the assets."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

the Sun is right there. this is bullshit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

indigi posted:

i assume that vampires are only affected by sol specifically, since they can go out in starlight, so that's probably just a different star.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

i'd imagine only the side exposed to the light would be all sparkly

speaking of, twilight vampires would be some of the best suited earthlings for spacefaring

no breathing or defecation, superhuman durability i think to the point of withstanding hard vacuum, biologically immortal

though i don't know what their temperature tolerances are, they're probably wider than standard humans esp on the low end. problems i see are difficulties with growing their own food and expanding their own population from vampires-only, so they're unsuited for interstellar colonization. also seemingly significant psychological problems, which coupled with their superhuman strength would definitely be an issue for whatever craft or structure would be housing them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/dunwaIl/status/1366705584389652482

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1367172246830161921
ill make this point again: almost every piece of nerd (or nerd-adjacent) media, no matter how bad, has some contrarian willing to defend it, saying that is was misunderstood or ahead of its time or better than you remember or a hidden gem. ive even seen some mutterings in defense of the star wars prequels.

ive never seen a single person step up in defense of the simpsons seasons 12+. not once

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“new simpsons is ruining old simpsons” - some bitter nerd, probably, who doesn’t understand how thinking works

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1367172246830161921
ill make this point again: almost every piece of nerd (or nerd-adjacent) media, no matter how bad, has some contrarian willing to defend it, saying that is was misunderstood or ahead of its time or better than you remember or a hidden gem. ive even seen some mutterings in defense of the star wars prequels.

ive never seen a single person step up in defense of the simpsons seasons 12+. not once
Presumably some people must be watching it or they wouldn't renew it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah tons of people watch the simpsons but they aren't as vocal or active in the same online spaces as you

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

FMguru posted:

ive even seen some mutterings in defense of the star wars prequels.

people who were 5 years old when ep1 came out loving love jar jar binks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the simpsons are the reason that Fox (the entertainment network, not the news network) exists today.

They will lose any amount of money, spend any amount of money, take any hit. they will never cancel the simpsons.

it will be the last thing aired before they shut off the lights and lock the door.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm watching s12 of the Simpsons these days, and I barely remember any of them. I just stopped watching new ones a few years ago. I watched the most recent Halloween one and everyone just sounded tired

on the SCTV front, just saw the one with Lee Iacocca's rock concert, and he makes a joke about how bad Fiats are lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

I'm watching s12 of the Simpsons these days, and I barely remember any of them. I just stopped watching new ones a few years ago. I watched the most recent Halloween one and everyone just sounded tired

all the actors are old farts now. harry shearer is nearly 80.

julie kavner is "only" 70 but whatever vocal cord thing she's got has gotten worse with age and she sounds like the cryptkeeper.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

new Simpsons is no different from your young sheldons and superstores. nobody cares if it's good because it's mostly there to be making noise while you sit on your couch and finger your phone

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Is that the whole market for Simpsons now? Just people who turn the TV to Fox for Animation Domination™ and leave it there? Like is there anyone who eagerly awaits the new TV season each fall, excitedly anticipating what's gonna happen On An All-New Simpsons?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i haven't watched it lately but i watched some of the season 20+ stuff and it was reasonably inoffensive and occasionally elicited a chuckle and honestly relative to the rest of the poo poo on broadcast tv it's good.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like when your competition is the bazinga guy, two infomercials and a bunch of UHF channels rerunning Sanford & Son you dont need to be particularly great at comedy.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

all the actors are old farts now. harry shearer is nearly 80.

julie kavner is "only" 70 but whatever vocal cord thing she's got has gotten worse with age and she sounds like the cryptkeeper.

the woman that did ms krabappel died nearly a decade ago

a few others have died since then too, like martin prince (who i'm guessing was recast)

harry shearer still does other work though. he has at least one show on new orleans public radio and up until the pandemic did a buncha local events and stuff too (he lives in the marigny)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
simpsons rarely makes me laugh any more but it's at least not the flaming hot garbage that family guy is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mediaphage posted:

simpsons rarely makes me laugh any more but it's at least not the flaming hot garbage that family guy is

idk a few years ago they had homer get seduced by lena dunham

they just can't seem to hit rock bottom