Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

therattle posted:

That’s not how Hollywood accounting works.

The sum of my knowledge is an 8 second google search and this single paragraph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As regressive as it is, that *is* one thing to be said for VAT. Amazon et. al. get away with paying basically zero tax in the UK by having to pay loans, dividends, licensing fees, and all sorts of other definitely real and not made up liabilities to a parent company tucked away somewhere with lower corporate tax rates. As corporate tax is based purely on profit, they can - completely legally (mostly) - claim to make no profit in the UK and so not have to pay tax. VAT and other sales taxes are basically impossible to avoid in this way (although there *are* ways of reducing the amount you have to pay but they come much, much closer to fraud).

Other than in a few exempt industries companies don't pay VAT. It doesn't cost Amazon anything, it costs Amazon's customers.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Thee Traditionale ſcientist

Lateſt tranſmutation newſ

Leeches: keye to the cure for plague?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ayyyyyyy passed all of my first semester projects! got a 2.2 and two 2.1s with very positive feedback - i'm well pleased :3:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

kecske posted:

The sum of my knowledge is an 8 second google search and this single paragraph

That’s pretty vague so it does apply as written but the devil is in the detail.

I’d be happy to explain properly if anyone is interested.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If that's what they wanted to do it's perfectly possible to DNA fingerprint poo poo, as long as it's fresh.

(This was a much funnier joke in my head, I promise)

That reminds me of something that happened to me when I was a temporary secretary in the Works Dept at a hospital. My boss had a meeting in his diary with a Doc and he said to me "She's a right little poo poo stirrer". Anyway, it was pouring with rain so when she arrived for the meeting, I made her a cup of coffee (which isn't something that usually happened). We had a chat until my boss was finished on a phone call.
After she'd gone, I said "she seemed really nice to me". He said "yeah but she's a poo poo stirrer. Literally. She works in the Endocrine and Metabolic dept and stirs poo poo."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Hasn't New Scientist been a bit poo poo for years?

It's very thin and very expensive these days I know that! I used to buy it eons ago when I had an income big enough to pay tax.
I found out I could read it online for free via our library but I had the details saved on another computer and need to look them up again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CoolCab posted:

ayyyyyyy passed all of my first semester projects! got a 2.2 and two 2.1s with very positive feedback - i'm well pleased :3:

this finally got me to go and check the marks for mine and its pretty good. of the 3 modules 1 had 100% of its marks for the single bit of work, 1 had 60% for the single project and 40% of the group project and the marking on the single project was properly hosed so i only got 47%. The final module was split into 24% for a peer assessed but of owrk, 6% for group work and 70% for the main coursework. got 47/70 for the main coursework, 6/6 for the grouip and then got hosed on the peer review that i've contested

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Other than in a few exempt industries companies don't pay VAT. It doesn't cost Amazon anything, it costs Amazon's customers.

Arguably this is true of all taxation, just at various degrees of separation - compare to companies paying their staff in "tax-efficient" ways, or the multinational dodges I was talking about - if those loopholes were closed the money to pay those taxes would still be coming from customers.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

this finally got me to go and check the marks for mine and its pretty good. of the 3 modules 1 had 100% of its marks for the single bit of work, 1 had 60% for the single project and 40% of the group project and the marking on the single project was properly hosed so i only got 47%. The final module was split into 24% for a peer assessed but of owrk, 6% for group work and 70% for the main coursework. got 47/70 for the main coursework, 6/6 for the grouip and then got hosed on the peer review that i've contested

nice bud! team "retreat back into academia to hide from plauge" kicking rear end

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Scikar posted:

But giving £330 to someone who earns £12,900 makes a bigger difference to them than giving £430 to someone over £100k. I think you're right though, in that the proper way to make it progressive would be to simultaneously raise the top rate?

Also important to note: raising the personal allowance by £500 doesn't increase people's income by £500, it just means they don't pay tax on that £500, so the real difference is something like 20% of £500. This is also a reason why politicians love it: you can say "we raised the personal allowance by £X" which implies you're giving everyone, especially the poorest, £X, in the same way as if you raised a child's allowance by £5, but that's not how it works. It's not really progressive because it's just a straight forward tax cut for the vast majority of taxpayers (IIRC there's a high income threshold after which you don't get the personal allowance and you pay tax on all income,* but unfortunately I've never been in a position to know what that is!), but couched in more progressive sounding language of "lifting people out of tax." If the goal is to help people on lower incomes then it's a really, really expensive way of doing that compared to other mechanisms (because you're foregoing tax income from everyone), and actively hinders people who already earn below the threshold because they are less well off relative to taxpayers while also facing the probable consequences of reduced government spending.

The best way to make it progressive would be, like you say, to raise the top rate (or even do something more radical like implement more tax bands). The whole concept of "tax free income" is not really a good basis for any kind of progressive taxation or effective redistribution.

* if you're in this bracket of taxpayer then it's vanishingly unlikely that you're paying income tax on all your monetary incomings and are almost certainly taking advantage of capital gains etc. Because the system is poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Check all of your "peers" to make sure Brown Moses hasn't used his CIA connections to infiltrate the group and have his revenge.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Progressive would be banging out a UBI and then taxing all income above that, but whatever.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
Call this a "Gibbo" moment but I was watching the Nicola Sturgeon thing on the BBC and partway through it cut to black and then showed some archive footage of what appeared to be Prince Phillip. Maybe someone's hosed up and accidentally pressed the big red obituary button ahead of an announcement?

EDIT: Someone on twitter caught it too: https://twitter.com/PerthshireMags/status/1367139783672291330

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Check all of your "peers" to make sure Brown Moses hasn't used his CIA connections to infiltrate the group and have his revenge.

lol this was basically everyone had the space to upload their work and then 2 people next to them in the list would leave their marking for it in the same place. someone uploaded what is barely even a half finished project where mine was meant to go and then it had 3 reviews. the marks I know i lost on it would push me comfortably into the 70% bracket.

CoolCab posted:

nice bud! team "retreat back into academia to hide from plauge" kicking rear end

i've been proper making GBS threads getting the marks back for these because its the first time i've done any report/essay writing in a long time

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

When can I expect my 500 quid to buy drugs?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

i've been proper making GBS threads getting the marks back for these because its the first time i've done any report/essay writing in a long time

yeah same, it was genuinely quite difficult to get back into the swing of it. feeling more confident now though!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Progressive would be banging out a UBI and then taxing all income above that, but whatever.
Even the arch communist Milton Friedman's negative income tax is a better idea than just raising the allowances.

He got reincarnated as a virus.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

what is the nicola drama?
i even tried to read an article on it but my eyes just glaze over

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CoolCab posted:

yeah same, it was genuinely quite difficult to get back into the swing of it. feeling more confident now though!

see i can blast out 2k words on something i've done easily just going full steam of consciousness. it just needs a ton of editing which i'm bad at and anything over 2k words starts to become a struggle

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

see i can blast out 2k words on something i've done easily just going full steam of consciousness. it just needs a ton of editing which i'm bad at and anything over 2k words starts to become a struggle

we had courses on structuring essays and poo poo, it was great

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/TechnicallyRon/status/1367085003474092033

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's Scottish Russiagate. It's not worth paying attention to unless someone ends up resigning over it. I only care because it's my sickness.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CoolCab posted:

That's great work, well done.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CoolCab posted:

we had courses on structuring essays and poo poo, it was great

yeah for me thats this term lol

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Communist Thoughts posted:

Salmond was accused of sexual assault but eventually won. Nicola Sturgeon is alleged to have misled the Scottish parliament on her meetings with Salmond and also wasting money on defending against a judicial review by Salmond on the handling the investigation despite legal advice that the government would lose.

Salmond believes that Sturgeon has ganged up with vile unionists to launch a witch hunt him for ~reasons~ and is therefore working with the same vile unionists to try and remove Sturgeon.

On the other hand Sturgeon probably has hosed up in her handling of the matter but probably not enough that it really justifies her resigning.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Leggsy posted:

Call this a "Gibbo" moment but I was watching the Nicola Sturgeon thing on the BBC and partway through it cut to black and then showed some archive footage of what appeared to be Prince Phillip. Maybe someone's hosed up and accidentally pressed the big red obituary button ahead of an announcement?

EDIT: Someone on twitter caught it too: https://twitter.com/PerthshireMags/status/1367139783672291330

Lol that's a big whoops. Definitely looks like they've been told to be prepped to press the red button any time now

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i thought Salmond was accused of sexual misconduct but they couldn't prove it - i even want to say he acknowledged he had been behaving inappropriately, it was just that they couldn't demonstrate it criminally. he did not get an "innocent" verdict back i want to say?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

killing the duke of edinburgh is definitely a solid way to crush any scrutiny of the budget

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

CoolCab posted:

i thought Salmond was accused of sexual misconduct but they couldn't prove it - i even want to say he acknowledged he had been behaving inappropriately, it was just that they couldn't demonstrate it criminally. he did not get an "innocent" verdict back i want to say?

He was a creep, just not to a criminal degree is how I've heard it put.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

CoolCab posted:

you might be right, I've been a bit vague on what actually happened other than that he isn't legally speaking a sex pest

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't see why sturgeon would resign when its clearly been shown nobody gives a poo poo

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

a pipe smoking dog posted:

you might be right, I've been a bit vague on what actually happened other than that he isn't legally speaking a sex pest

As allegedly heard in a recording of his lawyer on a train...

I’ve listened to both Salmonds and Sturgeons submission to the committee. Today Sturgeon seems mostly to be taking flak for not personally intervening to direct an investigation into Salmonds behaviour. While tories are incensed over a court case costing half a million being an affront to the public purse, not sure if they have publicly commented on the cost of test and trace etc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i agree with whoever said that the westminster SNP MPs should call for hancock to resign for maximum chaos

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

I don't see why sturgeon would resign when its clearly been shown nobody gives a poo poo

Because the fearsome Scottish Tory leader Douglas Ross told her to of course!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

a pipe smoking dog posted:

He was "not proven" in respect of one of the charges, which if I understand the Scottish justice system correctly means that the jury totally think that he's literally a sex offender but there's just not quite enough evidence

"Not guilty" (the other 11 verdicts) also doesn't mean he's not a sex offender, there's no "definitely innocent" verdict

The presumption of innocence is very important in law, but we don't have to use it in, like, everyday judgement. In my personal authority I find the defendant double-dog-guilty of Being A Wrong 'Un

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Is that even a presumption when he's been ruled not guilty? Excepting that one not proven charge obviously.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I know poo poo-all about Scots law or the criminal law in general, but "not guilty" isn't the same as "innocent", it's still a presumption. My understanding is that both kinds of acquittal basically mean "not proven", expressly finding "not proven" just carries an unspoken "but c'mon, look at him"

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Well, at least we're finally loving done with Brex-
https://twitter.com/Joe_Mayes/status/1367155099643097099

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One thing to bear in mind with juries in Scotland is that there's no requirement for unanimity, a simple majority of jurors is sufficient to convict. So while "not proven" is often interpreted as "we think you probably did it but the evidence wasn't good enough" it can also be that the jury was split on guilty vs not guilty, and the jurors pushing for a not guilty verdict agreed to vote 'not proven' to get one or two of the jurors voting 'guilty' to switch.

Historically the two verdicts were "proven" and "not proven" and the conceit was that it was the state passing the moral judgment with the jury just being there to confirm the state's case. Then in like, I dunno, the 18th century or something, a lawyer for the defence encouraged the jury to assert their "ancient right" to deliver a not guilty verdict instead when it was clear that the prosecution had a rock solid case, but for a crime which the jury were sympathetic to. So originally (in Scotland) "not guilty" actually meant "we totally know you did it but you don't deserve to be punished". Over time this reversed (due to English/American cultural influence, maybe? Not sure) where "not proven" got the "we know you did it" connotation but with negative implications instead.