Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at how badly boris bodies forensic kieth at PMQs

https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1367086819205070849?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Nah asking about Yemen is good.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Chubby Henparty posted:

Apparently happens more than you think
Yea, remember when Bristol police tasered their race relations adviser?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If Megan's interview gets crashed by live coverage of Phil's death it will be funnier than Obama timing the OBL announcement to gently caress with The Apprentice

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

If Megan's interview gets crashed by live coverage of Phil's death it will be funnier than Obama timing the OBL announcement to gently caress with The Apprentice

funnier than 9/11 derailing the congressional investigation into the US military having trillions of dollars it couldn't account for?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am suddenly reminded of pratchett referring to the discipline of [reflected sound of underground spirits] and posit that it makes more sense than actual economists.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

peanut- posted:

the labour right gave corbyn an incredible amount of grief about this the entire time he was leader so having it thrown back in their faces is an expected result

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jose posted:

funnier than 9/11 derailing the congressional investigation into the US military having trillions of dollars it couldn't account for?

That was good too. Little did they realise how many more trillions were coming their way (or did they?)

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

keith alwys sounds like he's about to cry

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

That was good too. Little did they realise how many more trillions were coming their way (or did they?)

there are so many good conspiracies around 9/10

anyway lol

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1367030164501241858

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is Keith responding to the budget personally normal? Or does it imply Dodds is toast?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

peanut- posted:

Is Keith responding to the budget personally normal? Or does it imply Dodds is toast?

It's normal for the leader of the opposition to respond

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Looke posted:

keith alwys sounds like he's about to cry

I find him really difficult to listen to, tbh.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The country has absorbed this into its soul, it's a message that's constantly reinforced.

https://twitter.com/BBCSimonJack/status/1367096773609684993?s=20

The literal IMF says it's nonsense at this point, but nothing will ever shake the conviction of our political and media class that the nation's finances work like their credit card bill.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's a very useful political fiction that our ruling class immediately forgot was fiction after making it up, as is their wont

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

It's not regressive, whether or not it's good. Tax thresholds apply to all people above them. The very poorest do not benefit from tax threshold rises at all, which is why those are the Tory/LD preferred tax changes.

Inflation exists.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

peanut- posted:

Sensible questioning about a policy the British public care about, not like the pointless questioning about some Arab backwater like that Joromy Cobbin would do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

peanut- posted:

The country has absorbed this into its soul, it's a message that's constantly reinforced.

The literal IMF says it's nonsense at this point, but nothing will ever shake the conviction of our political and media class that the nation's finances work like their credit card bill.

The political class don't believe it at all. It's a convenient fiction to support the narrative they want. And the media, well, it's in the air as to whether the tail wags the dog. But if they're not complicit they're compliant.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Has anyone else received a REACT COVID-19 Testing Research study letter? I got one that asks me to get a covid test to take a snapshot of the country.

I'm assuming they're using it to harvest my incredible DNA in order to clone an army of extremely lovely posters but I'll volunteer regardless.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The personal allowance is going to be frozen at £12,570, unless you think that anyone earning over £13k is living the high life then it is absolutely and definitely regressive, because it affects the poor in a way that richer people won't notice.

I'm not sure I'm reading you right, but it seems like you're saying freezing the tax allowance is regressive and raising the allowance is progressive? Which isn't true. Raising the tax allowance is regressive, because it benefits the person earning £100,000 as much as anyone earning the personal allowance + £1, and benefits them more than the person earning personal allowance - £1.

If the tax allowance went up to £13k then someone earning £12,900 would stop paying tax on that £330, but someone earning x100k will stop paying tax on £430, so gets more of a benefit. "Being taken out of tax" is not a good way of tackling inequalities and benefits many, many more relatively wealthy people than those it claims to help the most.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

peanut- posted:

Well, he does appear to at least be getting poo poo on by everyone for this comment. I guess people are starting to figure it out?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Jedit posted:

The political class don't believe it at all. It's a convenient fiction to support the narrative they want. And the media, well, it's in the air as to whether the tail wags the dog. But if they're not complicit they're compliant.

See I don't think this is the case at all any more. I think this...

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's a very useful political fiction that our ruling class immediately forgot was fiction after making it up, as is their wont

...is more like it. Thatcher's generation were the ideologues; her children are rubes as much as anyone else, who don't realise they're high on their own inherited supply.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah most politicians do not know much about finance or economics. The credit card analogy is easy and comfortable and superficially makes sense so they just stick with that model of how things must work in their heads.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Niric posted:

I'm not sure I'm reading you right, but it seems like you're saying freezing the tax allowance is regressive and raising the allowance is progressive? Which isn't true. Raising the tax allowance is regressive, because it benefits the person earning £100,000 as much as anyone earning the personal allowance + £1, and benefits them more than the person earning personal allowance - £1.

If the tax allowance went up to £13k then someone earning £12,900 would stop paying tax on that £330, but someone earning x100k will stop paying tax on £430, so gets more of a benefit. "Being taken out of tax" is not a good way of tackling inequalities and benefits many, many more relatively wealthy people than those it claims to help the most.

But giving £330 to someone who earns £12,900 makes a bigger difference to them than giving £430 to someone over £100k. I think you're right though, in that the proper way to make it progressive would be to simultaneously raise the top rate?

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

peanut- posted:

I have some sympathy for Labour in that even if Sunak is trying to raise taxes, he’s not doing it to drive public spending and investment.

Rishi clearly wants to do fiscal responsibility, austerity 2 which is a catastrophically bad, discredited idea.
This is the question I wantes to ask after reading that big old thread on MMT on the back of the bbc pundits credit card debt. Under MMT wouldn't tax increases of any type, including corp tax, be bad at the moment for expansion during a poor economic climate and with low inflation? Provided that not doing it it isnt used a pretense to cut government spending?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Weasling Weasel posted:

This is the question I wantes to ask after reading that big old thread on MMT on the back of the bbc pundits credit card debt. Under MMT wouldn't tax increases of any type, including corp tax, be bad at the moment for expansion during a poor economic climate and with low inflation? Provided that not doing it it isnt used a pretense to cut government spending?

Corporation tax is only levied against profit, so in theory raising it incentivises reinvestment

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Answers Me posted:

See I don't think this is the case at all any more. I think this...

...is more like it. Thatcher's generation were the ideologues; her children are rubes as much as anyone else, who don't realise they're high on their own inherited supply.

yeah though i would also say its not just the kids, the people themselves who make this poo poo up often almost immediately forget they made it up and become convinced its real since they are even more deeply entrenched in the media propaganda echo chamber than us

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Has anyone else received a REACT COVID-19 Testing Research study letter? I got one that asks me to get a covid test to take a snapshot of the country.

I'm assuming they're using it to harvest my incredible DNA in order to clone an army of extremely lovely posters but I'll volunteer regardless.

If that's what they wanted to do it's perfectly possible to DNA fingerprint poo poo, as long as it's fresh.

(This was a much funnier joke in my head, I promise)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Weasling Weasel posted:

At the moment you've got a risk of companies hoarding cash which stifles inflation and growth. As mentioned before corporation tax is on profit, so taxing that should discourage them from boosting cash profits and make them invest that money elsewhere.

Increasing tax on bigger companies and higher earners should also help reduce inequality which has been accelerating under covid and is generally seen as a bad thing for the continued healthy functioning of a society. However as its the tories I imagine the growth concern is the bigger one driving this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

Simon Jack might. He is after all an independent school educated PPE doer at Oxford and we all know the PPE is basically brain poison that teaches more about bluffing it than understanding anything.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Niric posted:

Doesn't the personal allowance get clawed back from earnings over a certain amount, so once you earn over £125k or something like that you end up paying the basic rate on all of the PA's £12k+?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tarnop posted:

Corporation tax is only levied against profit, so in theory raising it incentivises reinvestment

there will be some serious Hollywood Accounting going on for sure. Yes we made £100 million after other overheads but there's a March 31st working lunch prawn sandwich bill of £99,999,999 which I'm afraid simply means there's no profit for you to tax this year. Sorry!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

kecske posted:

there will be some serious Hollywood Accounting going on for sure. Yes we made £100 million after other overheads but there's a March 31st working lunch prawn sandwich bill of £99,999,999 which I'm afraid simply means there's no profit for you to tax this year. Sorry!

That’s not how Hollywood accounting works.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ah, bollocks.

https://twitter.com/ravenscimaven/status/1367045604166279169

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There's also the fact that the economic downside to raising taxes could be a hit on consumer confidence, but the government could do fiscal stimulation to drive that up (and there is in fact a lot of scope for that right now due to the huge number of underemployed people and decaying infrastructure)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hasn't New Scientist been a bit poo poo for years?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Doesn't the personal allowance get clawed back from earnings over a certain amount, so once you earn over £125k or something like that you end up paying the basic rate on all of the PA's £12k+?

It tails from £100k to £125k - for every £2 over £100k you earn, you lose £1 of allowance. The thing is it's silly to play around with that sort of taxation once you get into 6+ figures because the majority of people getting paid that much - certainly everyone apart from athletes once you get into the millions - isn't being paid a salary direct from an employer, they're being paid in dividends, share options, and all the other fun ways that the rich use to avoid paying their share. Any government that genuinely wanted to claim to be progressive on taxation would be taxing all income equally, but JOB CREATORS.

kecske posted:

As regressive as it is, that *is* one thing to be said for VAT. Amazon et. al. get away with paying basically zero tax in the UK by having to pay loans, dividends, licensing fees, and all sorts of other definitely real and not made up liabilities to a parent company tucked away somewhere with lower corporate tax rates. As corporate tax is based purely on profit, they can - completely legally (mostly) - claim to make no profit in the UK and so not have to pay tax. VAT and other sales taxes are basically impossible to avoid in this way (although there *are* ways of reducing the amount you have to pay but they come much, much closer to fraud).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

It has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I thought it had been variable, with some good/interesting stuff.